The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 October 2020, 02:27 AM   #5221
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
You're right, and I appreciate your perspective. Need to focus on the long term. Just a bit frustrated with this week is all, it has stung quite a bit.

I am worried about how much worse this could potentially get.

Well I have no crystal ball, I just ask a lot of annoying questions

Would you rather sell here? And do what? Yes it could get worse, it could get a lot worse. What would you do then? I would like to be a buyer as I have been today.

Where will we be in 12 months? Higher I believe.

Stop looking at the markets and enjoy your Friday!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:32 AM   #5222
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Have been a buyer a lot this morning, namely:

AMZN, TSLA, CRM, MELI, DOCU, U.

Also initiated a position in FROG, which I have been watching throughout the month.
Old 31 October 2020, 02:47 AM   #5223
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
You're right, and I appreciate your perspective. Need to focus on the long term. Just a bit frustrated with this week is all, it has stung quite a bit.

I am worried about how much worse this could potentially get.

You only lose if you sell. Today was the first day I looked at my account this week. It was down, a bunch, my response is to buy more.

That said I see gale force short term headwinds if joe gets in. People are going profit take like mad to try and avoid larger cap gains tax...even though he mentioned retroactively implementing his new, genius tax code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:59 AM   #5224
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Would you rather sell here? And do what? Yes it could get worse, it could get a lot worse. What would you do then? I would like to be a buyer as I have been today.

+1

Old 31 October 2020, 03:24 AM   #5225
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:

Good advice, hope everyone has a nice weekend.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:41 AM   #5226
logo
"TRF" Member

Contemplating a few things today to add, still watching.

Question for the chart technicians: Over the past 3 months, we see the apparent double top on the S&P, but it has not yet broken through 3200 support to confirm. If we go back two weeks, were there any indicators to suggest it was more of a double top compared to say the start of a cup/handle pattern? And now where we're at, are there any chart indicators to suggest whether we are about to break lower to confirm the double top, or if it will more likely be a fake and head higher? Curious to learn more about this and chart analysis in general
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 03:48 AM   #5227
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Just added ma- too tasty to pass up

Old 31 October 2020, 04:08 AM   #5228
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Contemplating a few things today to add, still watching.

Question for the chart technicians: Over the past 3 months, we see the apparent double top on the S&P, but it has not yet broken through 3200 support to confirm. If we go back two weeks, were there any indicators to suggest it was more of a double top compared to say the start of a cup/handle pattern? And now where we're at, are there any chart indicators to suggest whether we are about to break lower to confirm the double top, or if it will more likely be a fake and head higher? Curious to learn more about this and chart analysis in general

To me those are still both lagging indicators and we won’t necessarily get confirmation until after they’ve happened. I’m still very new to technicals in the grand scheme of things, so please take my comment with a grain of salt. That being said, I don’t believe it looked like a cup and handle to me, but more like a V.

We are at good horizontal support as well as trend line support off the March lows. But won’t know until market makes the next move to know which it was. If it bounces, I’ll go long SPY again, if it tanks I may short SPY down to around 3100/3070 or so.

I’m not sure if that helped or not...

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:04 AM   #5229
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Bought some AMZN, TDOC, and PIN. Great discounts today!

AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:05 AM   #5230
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.barrons.com/articles/wor...?mod=hp_LATEST

3200 has held nicely each time we've approached. Crazy day in tech, but the rest of the market isn't terrible - so a bit of good news. Not upset about how we closed.

Quote:
Big Tech’s post-earnings declines are why the Nasdaq Composite is down 2.8%, far more than either the S&P or Dow Jones Industrial Average.

But the Invesco S&P 500 Equal Weight ETF (RSP) is down just 0.5%. Other stocks are holding up much better than Big Tech. That’s some good news to consider going into the weekend.
Old 31 October 2020, 06:07 AM   #5231
bimmer nerd
"TRF" Member

Purchased AAPL, AXP, AMZN, WMT today. All long term holds.

WMT is a slight gamble, however I think with the holiday season and WMT+ it'll do well and hold after.

Have a great weekend everyone!
bimmer nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:08 AM   #5232
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
https://www.barrons.com/articles/wor...?mod=hp_LATEST

3200 has held nicely each time we've approached. Crazy day in tech, but the rest of the market isn't terrible - so a bit of good news. Not upset about how we closed.

Ya, nice strong end to the day (at least what I was watching).

Old 31 October 2020, 07:46 AM   #5233
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
To me those are still both lagging indicators and we won’t necessarily get confirmation until after they’ve happened. I’m still very new to technicals in the grand scheme of things, so please take my comment with a grain of salt. That being said, I don’t believe it looked like a cup and handle to me, but more like a V.

We are at good horizontal support as well as trend line support off the March lows. But won’t know until market makes the next move to know which it was. If it bounces, I’ll go long SPY again, if it tanks I may short SPY down to around 3100/3070 or so.

I’m not sure if that helped or not...

Thanks for your thoughts. An interesting one is TSCO - that one looks more like a bowl, but i guess that one broke lower, maybe a sign of things to come more broadly? We shall see on Monday. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 31 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #5234
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

REALLY glad that I bought DNKN along with the other drive thru stocks that powered right through the pandemic. MCD, YUM, PZZA, SBUX, DPZ etc.

Down with the rest of the market but holding and earning.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:49 AM   #5235
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Wow! We went to the coast this past week and I did not look at my portfolio, (or even read any news). Quite a surprise when I looked this morning. Ouch! But at least I swam in the ocean and had some sun.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 11:33 PM   #5236
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I look at my portfolio every 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Wow! We went to the coast this past week and I did not look at my portfolio, (or even read any news). Quite a surprise when I looked this morning. Ouch! But at least I swam in the ocean and had some sun.
If I looked every 20 years, it might be a better idea.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 09:29 PM   #5237
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Going to be a busy week, need to stay focused

A lot of info to analyze, Futures up +424 early
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 2 November 2020, 09:41 PM   #5238
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Trump, Biden, Fed, Jobs and Dunkin' - 5 Things You Must Know Monday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...-monday-110220

WM, PYPL, WCOM, SWKS, CVS earning this week, I am long all of those names

CLX, MPC just announced beats
Old 2 November 2020, 10:44 PM   #5239
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/02/euro...us-weighs.html

Asian and European markets both rose today, and futures up. Was last week the "bottom" for now? Time will tell, but I think we'll still see volatile trading throughout the next few weeks, if not months. At the very least, the 3200 level seems to be holding well for now.

I bought a lot last Friday and am going to wait it out for a bit. I'm not in a buy-the-dip mentality right now and would like to see if 3200 truly holds. Funny what a new week will do to you.
Old 2 November 2020, 10:56 PM   #5240
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Asian and European markets both rose today, and futures up. Was last week the "bottom" for now? Time will tell, but I think we'll still see volatile trading throughout the next few weeks, if not months. At the very least, the 3200 level seems to be holding well for now.

I bought a lot last Friday and am going to wait it out for a bit. I'm not in a buy-the-dip mentality right now and would like to see if 3200 truly holds. Funny what a new week will do to you.
Agreed, I drew down my cash as well. I am watching for profit taking opportunities in trades as I would like to raise cash again to be able to average down in core holdings if necessary.

I expect a lot of volatility this week so it may be wise for some to simply not look if your goals are farther out.
Old 2 November 2020, 11:30 PM   #5241
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Sounds like many of us are bracing for a volatile week & more.

My conservative priced stops are active and cash is waiting patiently to be spent.

- The Stock Market Is Bouncing Back Big Time. Mondays Aren't to Be Trusted. -- Barrons.com
Today 8:01 AM ET (Dow Jones)

“ It's a typical Wall Street Monday as traders take their seats in front of their screens -- even if it doesn't feel like one.

There's a massive amount of news coming. The election is the big one, but there's a Fed meeting ending on Thursday, payrolls on Friday, and 130 S&P 500 companies set to report earnings. The continued rise in Covid-19 cases hangs over everything.

Stocks, however, are rebounding from last week's selloff. S&P 500 futures are up 1.8% Monday morning.

Perhaps the market is feeling more confident about the election outcome Tuesday, though the betting markets are giving Joe Biden a 65% of a win, relatively unchanged in recent weeks.

Deals may be moving stocks, too. Nielsen shares are up about 10% after the company announced it is selling its retail tracking business to a private-equity firm for $2.7 billion.

Or maybe it's just a typical Monday. The S&P 500 has moved 1% or more in either direction every Monday since the end of August

That's a lot of volatility -- and it hasn't been good for the market. The S&P 500 has dropped 6.6% since the end of August.

It's a reminder that uncertainty usually isn't good for the market -- even when it seems otherwise.”
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 11:43 PM   #5242
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Sounds like many of us are bracing for a volatile week & some some.

My conservative priced stops are active and cash is waiting patiently to be spent.

- The Stock Market Is Bouncing Back Big Time. Mondays Aren't to Be Trusted. -- Barrons.com
Today 8:01 AM ET (Dow Jones)

“ It's a typical Wall Street Monday as traders take their seats in front of their screens -- even if it doesn't feel like one.

There's a massive amount of news coming. The election is the big one, but there's a Fed meeting ending on Thursday, payrolls on Friday, and 130 S&P 500 companies set to report earnings. The continued rise in Covid-19 cases hangs over everything.

Stocks, however, are rebounding from last week's selloff. S&P 500 futures are up 1.8% Monday morning.

Perhaps the market is feeling more confident about the election outcome Tuesday, though the betting markets are giving Joe Biden a 65% of a win, relatively unchanged in recent weeks.

Deals may be moving stocks, too. Nielsen shares are up about 10% after the company announced it is selling its retail tracking business to a private-equity firm for $2.7 billion.

Or maybe it's just a typical Monday. The S&P 500 has moved 1% or more in either direction every Monday since the end of August

That's a lot of volatility -- and it hasn't been good for the market. The S&P 500 has dropped 6.6% since the end of August.

It's a reminder that uncertainty usually isn't good for the market -- even when it seems otherwise.”
The volatility is one aspect of how an investor should be positioned and how they should employ stops.

Either remove the stops if you intend to hold for the longer term or tighten them to protect profits and capital.

Personally I have removed my stops as I intend to ride through this and I am focused 12-18 months out when I will be retired and I expect the markets to be higher. I do not wish to be stopped out of holdings that I would like to average down in. And I will be watching short term trades to see if I need to sell during the day.

In short, either stay very focused or take a step back and look again later on.
Old 3 November 2020, 12:21 AM   #5243
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Talking Stocks 2.0

Quote:
The volatility is one aspect of how an investor should be positioned and how they should employ stops.

Either remove the stops if you intend to hold for the longer term or tighten them to protect profits and capital.

Personally I have removed my stops as I intend to ride through this and I am focused 12-18 months out when I will be retired and I expect the markets to be higher. I do not wish to be stopped out of holdings that I would like to average down in. And I will be watching short term trades to see if I need to sell during the day.

In short, either stay very focused or take a step back and look again later on.

Agreed. For my long holds, my stops are very conservative in terms of trying not to hit it unless there is a disaster.

For me , stops are a blessing & curse. They can be both good & bad regardless if you are long or short.

- My stop on DKNG helped me sell at $51 & buy back in at lower prices.
- Hurt me with TSLA though. Sold at $401 but didn’t buy back in enough at $340ish. Had a very low buy-in.
- I didn’t extend a stop’s GTC expire date on UWTIF which costed me dearly. Just forgot to do it.

Then factor in the tax implications when a stop can easily turn a long investment into a short. Ugh.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 01:11 AM   #5244
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm with you - too much uncertainty in the near term. I won't be buying this week unless we substantially go down to 2800-3000 region.

I'm glad the market is taking a breather from down, though. Hopefully the stark sell-off last week blunts any election effects.
Old 3 November 2020, 01:17 AM   #5245
logo
"TRF" Member

I did not buy last week, figured this is the big week to see where we go. Have some cash ready in the event of a further dip, but whether I buy or not I think will depend on the news that prompts that dip. No stops currently, I’d be looking to average up in most of my positions on a bigger dip, and potentially open some new ones, maybe some long calls, we’ll see.
Old 3 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #5246
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Strong reversal from the action during the opening bell, tech especially.

Seems to me that we're continuing down the same past we were going last week. Not a lot of buyers out there...
Old 3 November 2020, 04:58 AM   #5247
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Anyone tempted by FSLY currently? It was at 126 not long ago, almost half price now... sure they missed earnings but long term that's got to be a bargain? Seems a bit dramatic the sell off?
Old 3 November 2020, 05:06 AM   #5248
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
Anyone tempted by FSLY currently? It was at 126 not long ago, almost half price now... sure they missed earnings but long term that's got to be a bargain? Seems a bit dramatic the sell off?

Not a lot of technical support until around 50 or so. So I won’t even be interested before then unless it proves it’s going to stop falling.

Old 3 November 2020, 05:27 AM   #5249
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/02/chan...tter-more.html

Hoping this doesn't get pulled because of politics, as it pertains to the Fed and stock market action. A good read.
Old 3 November 2020, 10:05 PM   #5250
avidflyer
2024 Pledge Member

Futures up over 400....see what holds into the close
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote