The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 3 September 2011, 02:01 AM   #31
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB View Post
Hi all, new to the form, but have been reading your threads for the past months, thanks!

Below is a brief outline of my adventure in finding the perfect 14060m:

After happily wearing a quarts Tissot throughout collage and into the first few years of my professional life, it suddenly hit me; the urge to wear perfection around my wrist. I don't know were it came from, but it had consumed my every thought, that is till I bought my new sub 14060m Z! Now Im just in love and look at it all day

I spent the last 3 months reading everything I could get me hands on concerning fine watches. Initially I started out with my eye on the Panerai Marina, however after trying on the 44mm monster i realized the watch was not for me. I passed the rolex area of the jeweler on my way out and figured I would try a few on, always liked the sub, however disliked the frog eye, so when I encountered the 14060m I was pleased and after trying it on, in love.

At this point I knew the 14060m was for me and started looking for the best deal possible (paying MSRP is just silly in my opinion). My plan was to buy a used late model (2007-present), this was a challenge however as i live in Slovakia (Im American). After speaking with the only AD here in Bratislava, he explained that the gray dealers here are shady but there are some good ones in Vienna (which is only a 45 minute train ride). I also found some great deals online at Chrono24 for example, but after some thought decided to only buy from a face to face.

I arrived in Vienna with pocked full of cash and high hopes, visited some ADs and all quoted me around the same discount. Then I visited a "reputable" gray (he has watches on chrono24), I will leave the name undisclosed. I was dealing with the owner of this particular dealer and he came across as very knowledgeable and passionate about watches, which I liked. However as the minutes turned into hours, I became quite uncomfortable as he would not answer any of my questions about the watch he was trying to sell me (14060m 2004 non cosc, mint) and instead made broad and longwinded comments about rolex in general. Despite, I loved the watch and wanted to make the deal, so asked if we could go to an AD and get it authenticated. At this point he got angry and insisted that i trust him and should buy the seller not the watch, blah blah. I don't know about you guys, but if i have some joker trying to sell me a 3000EU watch and that I should trust him that it's authentic, I think that's a load of sh*&! Please correct me if im wrong, would any of you buy from a gray without getting the watch authenticated??? Anyway, to make a long story short, I refused to buy the watch as he would not authenticate, so he kicked me (and my poor girlfriend who was almost in tears over the ordeal) out of the store in a made rage. I couldn't believe it Again this is a "reputable" second hand dealer with a large turnover...
I visited my local AD here in Bratislava and informed him of my ordeal as he was the one to recommend this gray in the first place. For fun, I asked if he could match the 20% discount that the Vienna ADs offered (this was a bit of a bluff as the Vienna AD's only offered an 8%). We went back and forth for a little while. Long story short, he had 3 14060m's in stock and apparently was having trouble moving them. One of them was a Z (2007 the first year of cosc cert if im correct?). I bought the Z as it will be more collectible down the road (your opinions on this please?)! And at almost 1,000 EU of the retail price!

In conclusion, I got a brand new 14060m Z at about a used price. I believe this was possible because of the raport that was built between myself and the AD (I was always in the shop learning about rolex and comparing prices) and because the no date is apparently appalling to Slovaks, thus low demand The watch itself is a masterpiece, its masculine but not trendy and oversized, a true classic! I love that it fly's under the radar and is not recognizable to the masses as a sub, this is due to the absence of the frog eye of course. It goes with anything in my wardrobe. But most importantly, it just feels amazing around my wrist, and looks soooooo good, I still cant belive I own such a beautiful watch !

Thanks for reading guys, just realized that i killed more than an hour writing this, so back to work for me.

Take care
Congratz, awesome watch!
Wearing mine writing this

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 05:49 AM   #32
Jfbhd4
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the big purchase!
Jfbhd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2011, 03:45 PM   #33
ag62000

Excellent review
ag62000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2011, 03:57 PM   #34
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Great Question...
cheers, congrats
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 03:08 PM   #35
knoffie
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 14060M cosc
What I dont understand ( well maybe I do) is the the fact that you didn't trust what the "Gray" dealer was saying but you did not tell the truth about how much discount the Vienna AD was offering. Sounds like double standards to me. You are excited about finally gwetting a great deal..but only because you lied about the discount you were offered. IMHO I dont think telling your local AD "for fun", whom you say you were building a rapport "porkies" is a way to build that mutual respect( especially if they ever read your post)
Wouldn't life be simplier if we were ALL honest.
Knoffie
knoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
As Tony Montana so aptly put it: "What dat make you...good? You not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me? I always tell the truth....even when I lie. So say GOODNIGHT to the bad guy!!"

Congrats on a great watch, but a straight dealing with your merchant (AD or grey) is the best policy.
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2012, 11:54 PM   #37
FX44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Nice write up. I owned a No Date Sub 2 years ago and sold it. Now after trying a couple of other brands of watches I have come back to owning a No Date Sub, it's my favorite watch.
FX44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 07:55 AM   #38
camillus
"TRF" Member

I have Sub ND as well and it's on my hand everyday since the purchase. Congrats !
camillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 09:19 PM   #39
pjkpjk

Watch: rolex sub nd
thanks

they are great, here is a pic of some more i bought,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0395.jpg (71.9 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg water 2 016.jpg (102.7 KB, 405 views)
pjkpjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2015, 04:31 AM   #40
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
Isn't simplicity beautiful??!!
Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2015, 04:32 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congrats, great choice!
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 04:03 AM   #42
Pako
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex submariner
Congrats !
Pako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2015, 03:01 PM   #43
sandysandy8888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Congrats !!
sandysandy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2015, 02:34 PM   #44
haiphan02
"TRF" Member

I'm also looking to buy my first auto, turn between the date and no date.
haiphan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2015, 12:25 AM   #45
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Excellent choice 14060 M
Old 18 March 2015, 08:54 AM   #46
chaisson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
"I visited my local AD here in Bratislava and informed him of my ordeal as he was the one to recommend this gray in the first place. For fun, I asked if he could match the 20% discount that the Vienna ADs offered (this was a bit of a bluff as the Vienna AD's only offered an 8%)." Nice watch, but thinking someone was misleading you, and then turn around lying yourself to get a better deal, not really high on the list in dealing in good faith with any transaction....
chaisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 03:34 PM   #47
Pako
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex submariner
Congratulation ! Nice sub !
Pako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 05:09 AM   #48
JMAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
First time I've heard it called "Frog Eye". Kinda like it!

Congrats on tricking the AD. I'll just keep a mental note to steer clear of your handle should I ever see it in the sales forum.
JMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 01:27 AM   #49
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

i dont expect any gray dealer to allow me to authenticate at an AD..... i wouldn't even have the nerve to ask. Nor would I expect an AD to be happy with me coming in there store to authenticate. there not in the business to assist with outside sales especially with all the rolexes they have for sell themselves
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 01:28 AM   #50
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

their, sorry
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 01:46 AM   #51
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaisson View Post
"I visited my local AD here in Bratislava and informed him of my ordeal as he was the one to recommend this gray in the first place. For fun, I asked if he could match the 20% discount that the Vienna ADs offered (this was a bit of a bluff as the Vienna AD's only offered an 8%)." Nice watch, but thinking someone was misleading you, and then turn around lying yourself to get a better deal, not really high on the list in dealing in good faith with any transaction....
Agree
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 02:12 AM   #52
ronin_ph
"TRF" Member

Is it gray or grey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronin_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 01:13 PM   #53
Amer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_ph View Post
Is it gray or grey?

It depends on where you live....Both are correct.

Congrats to the OP on the new watch.....As for the price/discount you got...Good for you for trying. Worst case is the AD would have said no, but it sounded like they needed to sell them.
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 12:49 PM   #54
conti02
"TRF" Member

Congrats. It’s a very nice piece. Enjoy
conti02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:42 AM   #55
mhunt1014
"TRF" Member

Glad this ended up working out for you.
mhunt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 10:46 AM   #56
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
It's funny. The OP has one post, his story of when he got the watch and it's from 2011. How'd this thread get dug up?
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 04:39 PM   #57
Metuen
"TRF" Member

Congrats

Metuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 01:40 PM   #58
awincko
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Day Date
Nice pickup. I just pulled the trigger on a 2-liner...should arrive tomorrow. I'll be sure to post pics!
awincko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 08:33 AM   #59
TVal07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 (SD4K)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaSubmariner View Post
It's funny. The OP has one post, his story of when he got the watch and it's from 2011. How'd this thread get dug up?
I’m sitting in the airport, killing time on here and thinking the exact same thing. Meanwhile, others are congratulating him on a watch he picked up 7 years ago.
TVal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:42 AM   #60
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVal07 View Post
I’m sitting in the airport, killing time on here and thinking the exact same thing. Meanwhile, others are congratulating him on a watch he picked up 7 years ago.
Go figure!