The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 30 June 2005, 05:03 PM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Datejust the 15 year review......

well sort of.

This example of a 16233 is from 1990, a E Serial. This watch spent the first 5 years of its life pretty much in a safe only worn for special occasions as I was too young at the time. My family already knew then what I learned later on in my watch collecting career which is that a Rolex will always be worth its weight in gold (not literally of course, but it will always hold its value at the very least) I see it more and more now that parents are buying fine timepieces to give to their kids when they get older and I believe I will do the same one day when I have a child. Afterall 15-20 years from now after 15-20 price hikes a $4700 Sea Dweller today won't seem so expensive right?

Now this watch started getting some real wrist time about 10 years ago and it has been to hell and back. The watch saw a lot of extracurricular activities that would have been the death of other makes. It has hit brack walls while doing garden work, it has hit exhaust pipes, fallen from top shelves onto tile and concrete, it was basically put through the torture tests you see on tv for timex and glad garbage bags The only thing that the watch has had to visit Rolex for other than for regular scheduled maintenance is for a crystal when I hit the edge on a door. Other than that it has been one tough SOB.

Now on to the watch itself (and not my clumsiness)

Movement:

The movement is the bread and butter movement from Rolex the 3135. It is the date movement found in many watches in Rolex's stable such as current DJs, Submariner, Yacht Master, and Sea Dweller. I can pretty much say it is the most shock proof movement I have ever owned since I put my watches through a lot in my day to day life.

Case/Bracelet/Dial:

The case is your typical oyster, water resistant to 100m or 330ft. The caseback and crown is of the screw down type (pretty much standard these days for watches that are water resistant)

The bracelet on this model is the jubilee one in SS and 18k YG. I cant say that this watch scratches easily (something that ppl say happens to the gold portion) since the scratches are all my fault I cant really blame the design or material used for the signs of typical daily wear. Some complain about this bracelet design being noisey, but I dont find that the case and it has never been an issue with me.

The stick marker dial is again another classic trait of the DJ line, clean and simple to read with no BS. However I am also a fan of the Romans and would pick either one if I were to buy this watch again.
The only issue I have had with this watch and dial is that its difficult to read in the dark as the luminous dots on the ends of the stick markers have pretty much had their day. Even though the lume is gone on this dial I still prefer it over the 116233 dial with the big lume markers as I feel the new ones are too sport watch like for the DJ.

Design:

What can I say the 16233 (and now 116233) is THE watch in Rolex's lineup that screams the company name. The Jub bracelet coupled with the fluted gold bezel in Two Tone has become an icon in Asian countries ( and many others) as being the watch to have once you have "arrived" (if you dont believe me go visit HK LOL ) The design is classic, and with the DJ line having so many dial choices overall its hard not to be able to find something you like in this series.

The TT models are a little dressier than their SS siblings but I have not found a reason as to why it cannot be worn with casual attire, just like a Sub and SD can be worn with a tux.

Overall I give this watch 9/10

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2005, 05:21 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
A classic timeless design watch.
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2005, 02:58 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
As you knoe, Roger, I also love the TT DJ (I won't bore you with posting more pics of mine here - LOL!!). I agree with you that it is the quintessential Rolex. The moment you see a TT DJ, you just know it is a Rolex. I do think of it as a dressier watch than any of the sport models. I hardly ever wear mine with casual clothes, although you never know when the mood strikes to be a bit different.

For example, I'm in Las Vegas this week and brought along my YG DD to wear all the time. I mean, where better to wear a YG DD with jeans than in Vegas.

But back to the TT DJ, whether it be with sticks or Romans (my personal preference), it is a great looking watch, and as you have found out, tough as nails - the way a Rolex should be.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2005, 06:04 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for a great review, Roger.

The TT DJ is kinda nostalgic for me as it was my very FIRST Rolex way back in October 1980, the one I purchased in Teheran (Iran). Mine was the older 16203 with acrylic crystal and 14 K gold. I remember mine having a coffee coloured dial. Used it for 10 long years - the longest I've ever had any watch!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2006, 11:07 PM   #5
SWOS

my dad has the same datejust but the color of the dial is gold . he wears it daily since the 1960's ! which he got as a gift from his dad who had the watch for around 10 years before he gave it to my dad..still looks brand new!

Last edited by SWOS; 31 August 2006 at 08:02 AM..
SWOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2006, 02:05 PM   #6
RogerF
"TRF" Member

My dad has a gold dialled TT DJ as well and has been wearing it proudly since about 1980. The TT DJ is and always will be a Rolex Icon
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2006, 03:26 AM   #7
barkingowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tiffany Atlas Auto
That's one durable watch. Thanks for the review.
barkingowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2006, 05:35 AM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Love mine!!!

Thanks for a great review of a classic Rolex, Roger!
Old 26 November 2006, 09:00 AM   #9
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
11 year ago I was told the Rolex to own was a Datejust period. This was before I knew what a Rolex was and what model to get. Every jeweller or pawn shop always told me to get a Datejust. I even check the archives here and the main topic of watch was the DJ. Today, you guys are praising the Sub and SD but either Rolex is a win win in my book
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 04:27 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great review Roger the DJ will live forever.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Edensknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Great review Roger the DJ will live forever.
Great info! Thanks for sharing!
Edensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Good review,
I can recall my first Rolex bought in 1989 for $1,500 from an AD. At the time I thought $1,500 was a fortune. Imagine if current Rolex watches sold for this. It was a SS DateJust with a jubilee band and a steel tapestry dial. (I was in my late teens so I thought I was cool) I also subjected the watch to treatments that I would never subject my current Rolex watches to like sleeping with the watch on, working in the yard, painting, and cleaning the exterior of the watch with jewelry cleaner. I am glad the bands on Rolex watches have improved over time, my only issue with my original Rolex band was the band had to be replaced after four years, keeping in mind that this was due to excessive abuse on my part. I later sold the watch to upgrade to another Rolex, but I wish I had not because it was my first Rolex and I would be nice to own today strictly for sentimental value.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

The TT DJ,ss Sub/date and the YG DDs,must surely be THE icons of Rolex ...

May you enjoy many more happy years with the TT DJ ...
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2007, 10:55 AM   #14
yachtsales

I had the an identical DJ!! Very nice! Let me tell you my first "tough Rolex" story. I had just bought my first Rolex, a 1991 DJ TT with a factory black diamond dial. I was helpiing a friend move and we were moving his TV. Well as we squeezed through a door way, I felt my Rolex jam into the door and then run or scrape rather across the door as I CRINGED!! I fully expected that my watch was screwed!! When we put the TV down I looked and the watch, the door and caught it on the bezel and crystal. There was a hunk of wood and paint stuck to the watch, I dusted it off and NOT A SCRATCH!! I was a ROLEX MAN from that day forward!!
yachtsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2007, 10:22 AM   #15
dhk8880
"TRF" Member

Nice!!!!
dhk8880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2007, 05:12 AM   #16
lamdash

Watch: d.just/exp ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsales View Post
I had the an identical DJ!! Very nice! Let me tell you my first "tough Rolex" story. I had just bought my first Rolex, a 1991 DJ TT with a factory black diamond dial. I was helpiing a friend move and we were moving his TV. Well as we squeezed through a door way, I felt my Rolex jam into the door and then run or scrape rather across the door as I CRINGED!! I fully expected that my watch was screwed!! When we put the TV down I looked and the watch, the door and caught it on the bezel and crystal. There was a hunk of wood and paint stuck to the watch, I dusted it off and NOT A SCRATCH!! I was a ROLEX MAN from that day forward!!

oh gosh,close shave man.Its really amazing,only diamonds could scratch that tough sapphire screen i guess.Anyone knows wads its prone to?
lamdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

WTF ? I have seen this one before !
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2007, 11:00 AM   #18
RogerF
"TRF" Member

????
Old 17 April 2008, 12:18 AM   #19
cdelgado1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX BRIETLINGS
Icon10

i love my datejust!!
its a classic always good to wear.
i wear with a suit all the time.
but dont get me wrong i will wear with jeans or sweats
i love it
cdelgado1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 12:58 AM   #20
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Long live Datejusts and thier owners...

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 03:41 PM   #21
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
After getting the TT lady Datejust, my wife isn't wearing the other watches much anymore. The other watches are quartz with the exception being a 18K WG manual Omega. The other watches are attactive, accurate, durable Seikos, Bulovas etc, but they just aren't the same as the Rolex Datejust. So now she tells me that she wants a Rolex "Sport Model", and I'm thinking Yachtmaster, or something. Her idea of a "Sport Model" is a SS Lady Datejust with black dial, or maybe a black diamond dial, and fluted bezel. The Datejust is a timeless icon whose importance cannot be ignored. My wife enjoys it when people recognize the watch, she says they try to be discreet, but always have to have a second look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Datejust.jpg (54.8 KB, 10476 views)
Old 23 April 2008, 06:57 PM   #22
sherwin
"TRF" Member

if you dont mind me asking, is that an aftermarket dial on the DJ?

Datejust put simply, elegant, instantly recognisable and quality time pieces. Im wearing one and one of the shop keepers also mentioned how nice the watch was on my wrist. OF course, me not being the type to advertise the authenticity, shrugged it off as a copy.
Old 24 April 2008, 05:54 AM   #23
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko.citizen View Post
if you dont mind me asking, is that an aftermarket dial on the DJ?

Datejust put simply, elegant, instantly recognisable and quality time pieces. Im wearing one and one of the shop keepers also mentioned how nice the watch was on my wrist. OF course, me not being the type to advertise the authenticity, shrugged it off as a copy.
We bought the DJ second hand from a diamond jeweler. At the time, I was just a Rolex newbie (still am), and didn't ask about the dial or the bezel. I now think that the bezel is an aftermarket addition, but the dial is original. Although I haven't seen many in blue, there are a few of them. I have even seen different colors of blue. Blue, dark blue, light blue, anniversary blue, and even a blue dial which is darker on the circumferance and lighter in the center. My wife likes diamond dials (of course), but I feel as though the diamonds crowd the dial, making it look smaller. The stick markers and diamond bezel has a unique look in my eyes. This DJ is an "E" S/N and dates to about 1990.
Old 24 April 2008, 07:39 AM   #24
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Classic
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2008, 11:01 AM   #25
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdelsol View Post
We bought the DJ second hand from a diamond jeweler. At the time, I was just a Rolex newbie (still am), and didn't ask about the dial or the bezel. I now think that the bezel is an aftermarket addition, but the dial is original. Although I haven't seen many in blue, there are a few of them. I have even seen different colors of blue. Blue, dark blue, light blue, anniversary blue, and even a blue dial which is darker on the circumferance and lighter in the center. My wife likes diamond dials (of course), but I feel as though the diamonds crowd the dial, making it look smaller. The stick markers and diamond bezel has a unique look in my eyes. This DJ is an "E" S/N and dates to about 1990.
sorry, I did mean the bezel. needs to check post before posting. and now cant edit
Old 24 April 2008, 12:03 PM   #26
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Great review and awesome, timeless watch

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2008, 12:13 PM   #27
timackerman
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch, and good review
Old 24 April 2008, 01:55 PM   #28
duc748
"TRF" Member

Enjoy reading your review.
duc748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2008, 07:51 PM   #29
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Nice review

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 04:02 PM   #30
catman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Guess...
I can't agree more on the TT DJ, I've had mine for 28 years and it still looks great and works perfect...
My close friends still can believe I still have the same old Rolex watch all these years...