The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 October 2020, 08:18 AM   #1
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 228239 blue dial
Rose Gold Day Date

So... what a week, over the years I built a collection I could be proud of, ceramic Daytona, Batman GMT, Kermit, Milgauss, Omega Tokyo 2020 (never wore it ;) Speedmaster.

I was feeling pretty good about myself. Took me 10 years and many many marital negotiations... and then something changed...

I saw a friend of mine wearing a gold Rolex watch (2009 yellow and champagne DD.) Oh dear thinks I, look what happened, look how different it looks, see how shiny it is... you’re approaching 40 Mr P, maybe it’s time for you to graduate to the big leagues..? Go precious metal? Get one of those big boxes...!?

So I started investigating, what would it take how much cash, what would I have to give up? Well that was easy (for me at least at the time) I sold the Kermit, sold the Omega, bought myself a beautiful 126655 YachtMaster, new and improved glide lock clasp, oyster flex, black matte Ceramic... it doesn’t get any better in a sport watch in my opinion... and I was happy... For about 2 weeks...

Then I realised this had caused me a problem. I simply never wore my Daytona or my GMT.

The Daytona, to be honest never connected with it, had a 116520 before, then moved to a 116500LN white dial, but in both cases bought them because of the prestige never really loved them... no date and busy dial, an issue for me. Beautiful watch but in reality not for me once I had owned them. The GMT on the other hand best movement Rolex make, used it when travelling and my second Rolex ever, but bottom line YachtMaster and GMT very close in look and feel and Rose gold just was winning the argument...

So I made a decision, I’ve been lucky that the watches I have bough have increased in value. Maybe time to step up to what for me is a Grail watch. A Rolex Day Date 40mm I never thought I would be able to justify the expense of owning one. But due to the growth on the Daytona and the GMT I had that chance, and long story long, I did a deal for a 09/2020 Day Date, White Roman Dial, 228235...

And now we get to the review. I’ll keep it short,

Colour and therefore alloy... unbelievable, silver in day light, deep gold in evening light, an incredible hue and tone, just beautiful and unique to Rolex.

Movement... the new 3255 do I notice it when wearing the watch? No... but do I appreciate it as a fan of Horological science? It’s without equal

Manufacture. It’s Rolex’s flagship, I don’t need to say more than that just exceptional dial, bracelet, clasp, ceramic tubes to reduce wear in the bracelet...? I mean come on! Just exceptional...

Hour markers, probably a lesser appreciated detail, makes the difference individually manufactured and set. And it shows.

Waterproofing, compare it to other watches of this quality... I rest my case. Having owned APs in the past, I genuinely feel that I could wear this every day, swim, dive, shower and never give it a second thought, not the case for an AP.

Bracelet itself, feels special, only in PM, and only on the DD, I can see why they keep it reserved, just feels incredible. Yes the AP Royal Oak bracelet is possibly my favourite bracelet but at that point I hadn’t owned a presidential. If you’ve never worn one, please try it and you’ll turn into a fanboy (or girl!) Like me. Of course if you don’t, don’t ask for your money back this is my opinion and nothing more ;)

So finally, I have sold two of the most sought after steel watches to buy a watch which is considered perhaps an “old man’s watch” maybe a smaller market, maybe a worse investment, but this has never been about making money, it’s about beautiful things, and appreciating engineering. And for me this watch this is the pinnacle of that art from a brand that I appreciate for its intelligence and its long term attitude to creating beautiful things...

So if you’re thinking about making a similar change, do it, you won’t regret it. And now I have a Milgauss (my first Rolex) a beautiful Yachtmaster and a Day Date 40mm in Rose Gold. I think I’m done, genuinely (I know we’ve all said that) but I have a great 3 watch collection and I couldn’t be happier.

Hope you found this interesting, and enjoy Rolex watches as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 October 2020, 10:05 AM   #2
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I think it looks GREAT! I enjoyed the story as well, and could easily see myself making a similar move some day. I am just trying to stay away from the AD for as long as possible so I am not tempted to get another watch.

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
I enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. I too have the YM reference and I love it. But I swear, if you look at it funny it scratches. Do you find that to be the case?
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 06:44 PM   #4
rcwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Daytona
very nice!
Old 27 October 2020, 08:31 PM   #5
GWL2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln, 116710ln
Great story and the DD looks amazing. Congrats!

GWL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:36 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations it’s a classic beauty

Damn those friends
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:55 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

That RG DD40 looks amazing. You dont see the white dial on the RG much to be honest and its nice to see some real life high res photos.

Looks amazing. My RGDD40 says hello.

peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:32 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 07:39 AM   #9
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
I enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. I too have the YM reference and I love it. But I swear, if you look at it funny it scratches. Do you find that to be the case?

Yeah. Very much so, soft metal unfortunately: I expect the DD to be the same.

A couple of very light wipes on the YM clasp with a cape cod cloth, and I mean very light get out the light scratches, many will tell you “don’t polish a gold watch!!!!” But I feel it’s not that big of a deal as long as you’re not trying to brush the clasp or polish out deep scratches.

As I say, just a very light up and down a couple of times and it makes a big difference. Can’t do that on the DD though of course with the president bracelet, but I like a watch to look worn long term anyway.

Old 28 October 2020, 07:41 AM   #10
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
That RG DD40 looks amazing. You dont see the white dial on the RG much to be honest and its nice to see some real life high res photos.

Looks amazing. My RGDD40 says hello.

Hello back! Yeah I realise it’s not the most popular, but it has a longer wait list in the U.K. than the sundust apparently...

It was a clear favourite for me.

Old 28 October 2020, 07:45 AM   #11
infinitywatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228238
I must say I enjoyed your story and consistency too. Thanks for sharing. And the watch is really amazing.
infinitywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 07:51 AM   #12
vtsakiris
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126300
Amazing watch
Coudlent agree with you more
Thumbs UP
Old 28 October 2020, 07:58 AM   #13
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Beautiful watch!
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:07 PM   #14
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramplejericho View Post
Yeah. Very much so, soft metal unfortunately: I expect the DD to be the same.

A couple of very light wipes on the YM clasp with a cape cod cloth, and I mean very light get out the light scratches, many will tell you “don’t polish a gold watch!!!!” But I feel it’s not that big of a deal as long as you’re not trying to brush the clasp or polish out deep scratches.

As I say, just a very light up and down a couple of times and it makes a big difference. Can’t do that on the DD though of course with the president bracelet, but I like a watch to look worn long term anyway.

Thanks for responding. Good to know there is a basic remedy to the issue. I’ve always thought I’ll get them buffed out at service, if they bother me. Wear yours in good health brother.
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 08:35 AM   #15
just1time
"TRF" Member

You did good. Daytona is a nice watch but very overrated. I presume Most people want to get it just to follow the crowd. I have never been attracted to it and will never buy a watch i won't wear. The DD40 is an awesome piece. Makes a statement. Very nice. If you feel great about the whole thing, then you did no wrong.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 08:37 AM   #16
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
You did good. Daytona is a nice watch but very overrated. I presume Most people want to get it just to follow the crowd. I have never been attracted to it and will never buy a watch i won't wear. The DD40 is an awesome piece. Makes a statement. Very nice. If you feel great about the whole thing, then you did no wrong.

Thanks for the support, I haven’t regretted it for a second. Thought I’d miss the GMT, and even that hasn’t happened!

Old 29 October 2020, 10:49 AM   #17
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Amazing story. Congrats! The DD40 is a very special watch. My SS and TT models see substantially less wrist time now (which makes me feel a little guilty). Enjoy it in the best of health.

HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 04:05 PM   #18
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
Very nice watch. I personally think it doesn’t get much better than the DD. I wear mine often, and I never get tired of it. Mine is RG as well, and I really like the softer look of the RG. For me it’s perfect and don’t care what other people think. Most often I wear a long sleeve shirt and it doesn’t show. That’s that way I like it. I don’t care what others think, and I don’t care what others wear.
JEAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 08:30 PM   #19
Jrsanchez
Banned

Bic
Jrsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:28 AM   #20
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Congrats on the new day date, I like the white Roman dial it’s a real classic but I think I still prefer the day date ii with the chocolate Roman dial because it seemed to me to be more legible.
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 11:30 AM   #21
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

By the way a question for the community: what do you guys think of the rose gold olive day date, personally I don’t really care for it but I want to know more opinions on the matter thanks.
Old 13 October 2021, 11:30 AM   #22
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Also do you guys like the baguette diamond markers of Roman dial more? Need some insight on this one too.
Old 13 October 2021, 11:31 AM   #23
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

*or
Old 19 October 2021, 02:59 PM   #24
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
My story is very similar to yours. I realized that the more watches in my collection, the less meaningful each one became. I've always been a Rolex fanboy... Then earlier this year, I went to the Bahamas and noticed every Joe wore a Rolex on the resort, but there was one dude that stood out. Not only because he had a beautiful woman around his arm, but he was the only one who had a full gold ceramic Sub on his wrist! I had never considered a full gold Rolex before, even though at the time I had the 126711 CHNR that I was over the moon with it! I had also recently turned 50, and all of these thoughts on my changing taste and watch collecting came to crossroads. The answer was clear and I knew that I had become that "old man" and that I had to have a full gold Rolex, LOL! I didn't want to give up the purposeful GMT and the incredible 3285 movement and I was still in love with my 126711 CHNR. The answer was obvious, the 126715 CHNR!!!

I picked up the Unimatic Hodinkee GMT only to wear to on my recent trip Italy, as I was warned by many on this forum that wearing the 126715 in Italy may be unsafe. This is perhaps the only drawback to going full precious metal as your primary watch, you have to have a "stunt double" for certain situations and settings!

Untitled by tm3machine, on Flickr
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 12:52 AM   #25
StanleyLock
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 (1978) Sub
Great looking watch!
StanleyLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:14 AM   #26
3rdCoastCollection
"TRF" Member

That photo quality though, perfect!
3rdCoastCollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 01:18 AM   #27
macotono
"TRF" Member

Great story, I got a 126656 and while I don’t want to sell anything in my collection at this point, it has made me appreciate PM Rolexes and I think I will get another at one point.

macotono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 01:50 PM   #28
steve00
"TRF" Member

Great story and beautiful piece.
steve00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 02:22 AM   #29
IntegriteTime81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Richard M RM030
I love this watch