The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 October 2020, 10:39 PM   #1
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
"leica lovers unit"....!

There are all kinds of general brand names in cameras but looking for others whom are in the "Elite Leica Club" ..This is not a referendum on other brands but just a little fluff about most likely the most iconic brand name in the camera industry.. I will also post some pictures and looking for others also to join in...
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 10:59 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

My great grandfather was an optometrist and was I believe the first to photograph progressive eye disease. His tool of choice was a Leica M3 he had customized. Probably my favorite heirloom in the family.

when I was a teenager, my dad and I found a Leica lens kit at a garage sale, had all the different M3 lenses, filters, etc, in their leica leather cases. we paid a whopping $50 for the set, my grandpas the current custodian. its one of my favorite garage sale scores/family heirlooms that we have. I will ask my grandfather for some pics, I haven't seen the set in years, but the quality of everything they make is absolutely phenomenal. The equipment itself is art.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 11:16 PM   #3
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
My great grandfather was an optometrist and was I believe the first to photograph progressive eye disease. His tool of choice was a Leica M3 he had customized. Probably my favorite heirloom in the family.

when I was a teenager, my dad and I found a Leica lens kit at a garage sale, had all the different M3 lenses, filters, etc, in their leica leather cases. we paid a whopping $50 for the set, my grandpas the current custodian. its one of my favorite garage sale scores/family heirlooms that we have. I will ask my grandfather for some pics, I haven't seen the set in years, but the quality of everything they make is absolutely phenomenal. The equipment itself is art.
Thanks for sharing your story.. I am not into vintage leicas but I know for a fact some of them are worth big big bucks.. When I was a kid my dream was to own a leica and I would not even been able to pay the shipping on one back in the early 70's not alone the camera..Please get some pictures if you can as I would love to see it..
Old 29 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
first film camera i purchased was a choice between the nikon fm2 (i was just about to pull the trigger before i said "can i see that one there... i pointed to the leica on the shelf.
i pick up the leica, pushed the fm2 aside, and asked the salesman to box up the leica M6 along with 2 lenses.

been through a a few digital versions, while they are no where near the pure user experience and interface of the film cameras, they still capture much of the joy. currently own Q2.
Old 29 October 2020, 11:44 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Thanks for sharing your story.. I am not into vintage leicas but I know for a fact some of them are worth big big bucks.. When I was a kid my dream was to own a leica and I would not even been able to pay the shipping on one back in the early 70's not alone the camera..Please get some pictures if you can as I would love to see it..
ha! that's how I feel when I see most of your posts, but it always makes me smile to see someone enjoying the finer things in life. i'll just enjoy everyones hand me downs until i'm a bit older/wealthier lol.

I sent him a text asking for some pics, i'm sure he'll get some sent shortly =D. I know nothing about modern photography, other than I can take better pics with my phone than a $5,000 camera from experience, but I can appreciate the engineering and quality of modern design.
Old 29 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #6
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
ha! that's how I feel when I see most of your posts, but it always makes me smile to see someone enjoying the finer things in life. i'll just enjoy everyones hand me downs until i'm a bit older/wealthier lol.

I sent him a text asking for some pics, i'm sure he'll get some sent shortly =D. I know nothing about modern photography, other than I can take better pics with my phone than a $5,000 camera from experience, but I can appreciate the engineering and quality of modern design.

HAH Hate to admit it but I still have not attempted to try on my M10 Rangefinder as I am clueless about it.. I know the two Noctilux Leica Lenses I bought several years ago have now gone up over $2500.00 each since I bought them.. Leica cameras do for the most part hold there value a lot better then any other modern camera on the market..
Old 29 October 2020, 11:54 PM   #7
BreguetRolex
Banned

Decided to dig a bit into my Leica Stash this am..

D02C32D3-F2AE-48C7-93E1-BA8C0B9DA7AA.jpeg

64986F1B-5257-4678-B0C5-B0A5B0F8DCC7.jpeg

EA8DAA92-6905-461B-821A-2CE07FED2F99.jpeg

42739A91-E96D-4457-9182-F96325F5DFA5.jpeg

B661E92D-AA06-4765-AC58-76466AB849CF.jpeg
Old 29 October 2020, 11:57 PM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HAH Hate to admit it but I still have not attempted to try on my M10 Rangefinder as I am clueless about it.. I know the two Noctilux Leica Lenses I bought several years ago have now gone up over $2500.00 each since I bought them.. Leica cameras do for the most part hold there value a lot better then any other modern camera on the market..
I just tried looking up the lenses, and it doesn't appear there are any on the market for the M3 at the moment, they had a spare M3 body at the same garage sale for $300 and it was worth 5-600, looks like it would fetch $1-2k now, the lenses were more expensive than the camera back then too, I imagine the same holds true. they were worth around $5k my grandpa said when I was a teen, who knows what they would fetch now.

I buy and sell just about anything you can imagine, so I try to keep up with a wide range of collectors markets. the only Camera equipment i'd buy to resell really is Leica, unless it's dirt cheap SLR lenses and maybe hasselblad(but the odds of finding that cheap are slim to none). everything else is just too common/hard to sell.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:02 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Grew up using dad's M3 with Summicron lenses.

Leica_Rolex.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:04 AM   #10
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
I just tried looking up the lenses, and it doesn't appear there are any on the market for the M3 at the moment, they had a spare M3 body at the same garage sale for $300 and it was worth 5-600, looks like it would fetch $1-2k now, the lenses were more expensive than the camera back then too, I imagine the same holds true. they were worth around $5k my grandpa said when I was a teen, who knows what they would fetch now.

I buy and sell just about anything you can imagine, so I try to keep up with a wide range of collectors markets. the only Camera equipment i'd buy to resell really is Leica, unless it's dirt cheap SLR lenses and maybe hasselblad(but the odds of finding that cheap are slim to none). everything else is just too common/hard to sell.
I also have a killer Hasselblad X1D Limited Edition boxed still.. Garage sale dream finder..:)
Old 30 October 2020, 12:11 AM   #11
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I'm a bit confused your title says "Leica lovers unit" Are you asking to see Leica owners units??
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:17 AM   #12
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Grew up using dad's M3 with Summicron lenses.

Attachment 1179944
Iconic Leica Setup forsure and that watch sure looking mighty fine too..!
Old 30 October 2020, 12:29 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've never owned Leica or even shot with one, but back in the 80s I was hired to build a 25,000 35mm slide library for a company who were making a Time/Life type book collection. Previously I had only shot with 6x6 Hasselblads which are deemed the elite medium format camera.

They guy who worked there before me had started and shot with Leica. The company bought a couple of Minoltas for me to use. Total junk. I couldn't compete with the sharpness of the Leicas.

I was never a 35mm fan so I never owned one professionally (I had a Canon for vacations stuff) but what I found was that a 35mm Leica and 6x6 Hasselblad could almost punch above their weight class. A Leica could almost compete with 6x6 (2 1/4 square inch) and a Hasselblad could almost compete with 4x5 in end product prints.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:39 AM   #14
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've never owned Leica or even shot with one, but back in the 80s I was hired to build a 25,000 35mm slide library for a company who were making a Time/Life type book collection. Previously I had only shot with 6x6 Hasselblads which are deemed the elite medium format camera.

They guy who worked there before me had started and shot with Leica. The company bought a couple of Minoltas for me to use. Total junk. I couldn't compete with the sharpness of the Leicas.

I was never a 35mm fan so I never owned one professionally (I had a Canon for vacations stuff) but what I found was that a 35mm Leica and 6x6 Hasselblad could almost punch above their weight class. A Leica could almost compete with 6x6 and a Hasselblad could almost compete with 4x5 in end product prints.
As a kid with my mother being from Austria, I had always dreamed of flying to Germany in early 70's and buy me a Leica Caera for no other reason but that I heard they were it... I could not even afforded the airline ticket or postage to buy one. Leica like Rolex has one of the best "Name Recognition" of any other products in the world... Leica sure protects there brand a lot more then Rolex as no such thing here as a grey market new leica camera..
Old 30 October 2020, 12:44 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great post Blanksy and also had a Hasselblad (503CW with lots of extras / glass) and indeed the sharpness was excellent. Dad's M3 was darn close, though to be fair dad helped the Leica store owner so he cherry-picked the best glass of each model at the time :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:12 AM   #16
BreguetRolex
Banned

Leica SL LOVE..

37E6E4DE-4BFA-4FED-BEB0-0071B66ECEEB.jpeg

5226A0B2-97CF-4721-9864-2626E01E0335.jpeg
Old 30 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #17
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also have a killer Hasselblad X1D Limited Edition boxed still.. Garage sale dream finder..:)
I just scored a Dean ace 3.5 Titanium full suspension frame with a fox float shock, Chris king headset and xtr crankset in my size for $365 shipped. They go for $1,500-2000 when they show up bare frame and it was one of 2 models I was looking for, and I found it by accident minutes after it was posted.

Yesterday I walked into wal mart waiting for a guy to buy some parts from me, found an iwatch 3 on their clearance rack for $99 when I was about to spend $125-150 on a used one.

I have really weird luck, I hate buying stuff new as I just can’t stomach depreciation on anything, but manage to get everything I want some way or another. The world works in mysterious ways, and always seems to provide for me :D maybe this thread will bring me some camera luck on my garage/estate sale expeditions this weekend
Old 30 October 2020, 04:18 AM   #18
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great post Blanksy and also had a Hasselblad (503CW with lots of extras / glass) and indeed the sharpness was excellent. Dad's M3 was darn close, though to be fair dad helped the Leica store owner so he cherry-picked the best glass of each model at the time :)
Always blows my mind how they built these machines without computers to such precision.
Old 30 October 2020, 04:20 AM   #19
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like a years worth of tuition to me

Your insurance writer must have a full time job with you alone
Old 30 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #20
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I am into the Leica M3 35mm's from the 50's-60's. All are restored. One by Don and the two others by Gus.
Those into old Leica's know of what / whom I speak.

I have no use for digital Leica's. I do have one digital camera, a Fujifilm X100T which is a remarkable little camera for my generic use.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:59 AM   #21
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I developed a love for photography in the last year or two, Leica in particular. I've been fortunate enough to own and enjoy an early M2, but it's unfortunately been listed for sale, much like my watch collection. Maybe I'll own another some day!
Old 30 October 2020, 06:00 AM   #22
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
How about some SINAR large format love!
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 06:05 AM   #23
BreguetRolex
Banned

So I purchased this Visoflex20 EVF to go on my new M10 and curious if this will help in focusing a "RANGEFINDER" Leica Digital M10 with big noctilux lenses..?
Old 30 October 2020, 06:11 AM   #24
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I purchased this Visoflex20 EVF to go on my new M10 and curious if this will help in focusing a "RANGEFINDER" Leica Digital M10 with big noctilux lenses..?
They didn’t throw in any photography lessons in with all this stuff?
Old 30 October 2020, 06:20 AM   #25
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
They didn’t throw in any photography lessons in with all this stuff?

HAHAHAHAHHA ok way 2 funny and boy you sure hit the nail on the head squarely. I never ever claimed to be a quality picture snapper ever. I can stand my own with a DSLR but this "RANGEFINDER" is a all different ball game. I dont think I could even get one picture in focus with the M10+ Leica 50MM F/0.95 Noctilux Lens... Not alone the 75MM Noctilux or the new 90MM F/1.5 Summicron that at the moment I am lusting over..:)
Old 30 October 2020, 12:16 PM   #26
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
"leica lovers unit"....!

I’ve been shooting on Leica for a long time. Absolutely love their products. My most recent addition is the new Leica M10 Monochrom. Got incredibly lucky and found a Summilux 35mm FLE "Leitz Wetzlar" Edition. Absolutely love this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:29 PM   #27
Laszlo

Quote:
It’s a must have tool. Especially if you wear glasses. It improved my focus accuracy. Less mishaps for sure.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:35 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nice shots laszlo
Old 30 October 2020, 02:55 PM   #29
Laszlo

Quote: