The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2020, 05:56 PM   #31
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
M10 Rangefinder

This new Leica M10 Rangefinder is all new to me and look forward to playing around with it and the Leica 50MM F/0.95 Noctilux..

1793CC0A-2781-4376-A7A5-43EF047CEF9A.jpeg

6A5929CE-885B-4945-AC67-E13C52B5B576.jpeg

AA31B5DF-D4ED-4FCC-A72F-BAF505C6FF69.jpeg

66ECDE84-0D0D-40FD-951D-A67936E68333.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:06 PM   #32
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I’ve been shooting on Leica for a long time. Absolutely love their products. My most recent addition is the new Leica M10 Monochrom. Got incredibly lucky and found a Summilux 35mm FLE "Leitz Wetzlar" Edition. Absolutely love this kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love when you post Pictures. Very talented photographer.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:41 PM   #33
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
I’ve been shooting on Leica for a long time. Absolutely love their products. My most recent addition is the new Leica M10 Monochrom. Got incredibly lucky and found a Summilux 35mm FLE "Leitz Wetzlar" Edition. Absolutely love this kit.
Outstanding shots!
Old 30 October 2020, 10:45 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Beauty shots Laszlo.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:57 PM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent pics Laszlo! Wonderful use of light and shadow.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:02 PM   #36
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Great pictures! I always wanted a Leica. The focus mechanism is a bit retro and I imagine it takes practice.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:09 PM   #37
BreguetRolex
Banned

362D1B57-42D9-4FF2-9778-838F3C6D5814.jpeg

00524A01-ECB1-4AEE-92C4-C338D9EB4995.jpeg

29540D83-A167-4CA3-8A70-264D33C702CE.jpeg

BEF21C2E-642E-444C-B12D-65684C4BAD39.jpeg
Old 30 October 2020, 11:28 PM   #38
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Instead of pictures or cameras, how about posting some pictures you took with them?
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:58 AM   #39
BreguetRolex
Banned

Planning on attaching the Leica 50MM Noctilux F/0.95 to the M10 Rangefinder for my very first rangefinder experience.

C1DA5AD7-E5F6-470E-8964-CA87EE6DF5D1.jpeg

AC7C37F5-C096-4FCF-AE3E-40EC814A4A1B.jpeg

5A064253-51AD-4819-A52D-D8544886EE73.jpeg

6893F7F3-6BF4-4F73-A22C-7EB26227BC88.jpeg

5477884C-A704-4918-8CD1-28F4CDE7D278.jpeg
Old 31 October 2020, 03:34 AM   #40
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Do you know what a Rangefinder is?
Old 31 October 2020, 03:38 AM   #41
bayerische
"TRF" Member

I don't want to come and "pi55" on your parade, I'm a gear head too, but usually I buy stuff I actually use.

You just invested about 20.000USD in the Nocti and M10 alone.

But as I said, I shouldn't judge. I bought a Nikon 200mm F2 VR2 today... But I do use it.

Was about to pull the trigger on a Nocti and M10 myself this week. Used though. I absolutely love Rangefinders. They are my favourite type of camera, but these days I'm heavily invested in my Nikon set so I keep adding lenses to it.

Post some pics from the Nocti. If you know how to use it it is a magical lens.
Old 31 October 2020, 04:06 AM   #42
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Do you know what a Rangefinder is?

A camera..? :)
Old 31 October 2020, 04:12 AM   #43
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
I don't want to come and "pi55" on your parade, I'm a gear head too, but usually I buy stuff I actually use.

You just invested about 20.000USD in the Nocti and M10 alone.

But as I said, I shouldn't judge. I bought a Nikon 200mm F2 VR2 today... But I do use it.

Was about to pull the trigger on a Nocti and M10 myself this week. Used though. I absolutely love Rangefinders. They are my favourite type of camera, but these days I'm heavily invested in my Nikon set so I keep adding lenses to it.

Post some pics from the Nocti. If you know how to use it it is a magical lens.
I bought a BNIB Nikon 200MM F/2 VR2 along with a D5 2 years ago and that is one camera I actually use... I have never removed that lens from the D5..

3471BD35-1ABA-4465-9AA6-84C8ED651B56.jpeg

E45A0F18-DCC3-4007-BFAB-B873A0B18914.jpeg
Old 31 October 2020, 07:43 AM   #44
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Thanks guys for the kind words on my pics!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:48 AM   #45
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Thanks guys for the kind words on my pics!!
Oh those are awesome pictures for sure. You surely do not have to produce such awesome pictures like these to be worthy of owning Leica Camera's for sure.. I produce crappy like pictures and could care less as I also get tons of enjoyment of just owning the junk. I am going to finally see if I can snap a picture with my M10 one of these days when I get it set up, battery charged and running.. To many people right away want to see what kind of snaps you can take to see how worthy you are of ownership..:) Great pictures and fantastic "EYE" you have..
Old 31 October 2020, 08:14 AM   #46
nda
"TRF" Member

I have a couple of Leicas - an MP (film) and an M8. But I have to say I rarely, if ever use them these days. It's too much kit to lug around. But the lenses are superb, 'available light' photography with a Leica is very special.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:29 AM   #47
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

These photos are just fabulous, really think that you have caught the emotion of them really well using B&W, I like photography but am just in wonder at how good these are. It's art.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:34 AM   #48
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Oh those are awesome pictures for sure. You surely do not have to produce such awesome pictures like these to be worthy of owning Leica Camera's for sure.. I produce crappy like pictures and could care less as I also get tons of enjoyment of just owning the junk. I am going to finally see if I can snap a picture with my M10 one of these days when I get it set up, battery charged and running.. To many people right away want to see what kind of snaps you can take to see how worthy you are of ownership..:) Great pictures and fantastic "EYE" you have..
You should absolutely get that beautiful M10 up and running. It’s such an easy camera to bring around with you and I bet you will really love the whole rangefinder experience. Photography is fun no matter what style, quality or output you do. If it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. And thank you for the kind words as well.

Old 31 October 2020, 08:36 AM   #49
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
These photos are just fabulous, really think that you have caught the emotion of them really well using B&W, I like photography but am just in wonder at how good these are. It's art.
Thank you, very inspiring to hear such kind feedback. Thank you, thank you.

Old 31 October 2020, 09:21 AM   #50
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Mr Ken Rockwell has some amusing views, regarding Leica.

To the Leica man, only the best shall suffice. Second best is an oxymoron to the Leica man. It is not in his vocabulary. Second place is worse than losing, because it might be noticed.

To the Leica man, a silver medal would be an unfathomable embarrassment.

The Leica man concerns himself only with excellence, supremacy and being number one.

The Leica man exudes quiet confidence in his every step. The Leica man is always the best at everything he cares to do.

The Leica man doesn't care, or even know, the trifling price of his cameras. This is not relevant. Just like a Porsche, no one buys a Leica because he needs it. He acquires the Leica because he is who he is.

To the Leica man, the only expense on his acutely discerning radar is the insurmountable price of being second-best. This is never acceptable, much less even considered.

Don't fret price when discussing photography issues with a Leica man. He doesn't know or care price; the only thing that concerns him is being the best.

The Leica man rarely takes his own pictures. He has others to bother with that for him if he is on holiday. If the Leica man requires art, he has it purchased for him.

This is why Leica men don't care about a Leica's picture-taking ability, and get so oddly freaked out if you mention cameras that are better for a fraction of the price. "Better for what?" asks the Leica man. Taking pictures? Who uses cameras to take pictures? Rarely the Leica man. You are personally insulting him and his vastly superior taste should you broach this topic.

When seen in brochures, the Leica man almost always is seen shooting out of the open top of a convertible. You'll see the Leica man wearing a suit shooting nature from his convertible in the 1954 Leica M3 instruction manual, and see him, much younger and less well dressed, doing the same in the Leica 2009 product catalog.

In every case, all that the Leica man need do to effect a photo is to wave his Leica out the open top of his car. This shall be sufficient.

The Leica man does not compromise. The Leica man is not interested in anything made elsewhere, like Japan. That is not Leica. The Leica man knows his brand: all because something has a red dot with LEICA or LEITZ on it doesn't make it a Leica.

The Leica man doesn't trouble himself with the twittering of lesser men who might expend effort trying to argue an M8 or Oriental pocket camera into Leicahood.

Canada is OK. We all love polar bears, baby seals, igloos, Eskimos, beer, rare Canadian penguins, Santa Claus, reindeer, hockey, maple syrup, free health care, celebrating the Christmas spirit year round, snow men and bacon.

Canada and Noctilux are OK in the Leica Man's book, not that he would ever go there except to look at polar bears from a warm, privately chartered and catered tundra buggy. The Leica man visits Churchill in August, when it's nice, and has his polar bears flown in for his pleasure. The Leica man doesn't rub elbows with the common man — there are germs.

The Leica man is not a collector. He is not the weak man wandering aimlessly in search of someone else's old camera. The Leica man exudes confidence and leads by example. The Leica man doesn't care if his Leicas (or anything) become worn or soiled in the course of having a good time; if so, he simply has them replaced.

We all benefit from the Leica man's unending quest for excellence. It is the Leica man we thank for the abundance of like-new Leica cameras available used. The Leica man acquires what he needs new, and disposes of it when done. Why would he clutter his home with month-old cameras from his last luxury trip when better to buy new for his next adventure? "Never sit on an asset" says the Leica man. It is in this way that he is assured of always having the newest and best.

The Leica man doesn't trouble himself with products with which Leica itself can't be bothered. If a product is no longer in production, it is not the best and the Leica man has no use for it either. The Leica man knows that products made in limited quantities are those which were bought in limited quantities — because few people wanted them. If no one else wanted them, why would the Leicaman?

The Leicaman only acquires new items. Why should he care about another man's cast-offs?

Only the best shall suffice. There is no substitute.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:10 PM   #51
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

To the Leica man, only the best shall suffice. Second best is an oxymoron to the Leica man. It is not in his vocabulary. Second place is worse than losing, because it might be noticed.

The Leica man concerns himself only with excellence, supremacy and being number one.

The Leica man exudes quiet confidence in his every step. The Leica man is always the best at everything he cares to do.

The Leica man doesn't care, or even know, the trifling price of his cameras. This is not relevant. Just like a Porsche, no one buys a Leica because he needs it. He acquires the Leica because he is who he is.

To the Leica man, the only expense on his acutely discerning radar is the insurmountable price of being second-best. This is never acceptable, much less even considered.

Don't fret price when discussing photography issues with a Leica man. He doesn't know or care price; the only thing that concerns him is being the best.

The Leica man rarely takes his own pictures. He has others to bother with that for him if he is on holiday. If the Leica man requires art, he has it purchased for him.

This is why Leica men don't care about a Leica's picture-taking ability, and get so oddly freaked out if you mention cameras that are better for a fraction of the price. "Better for what?" asks the Leica man. Taking pictures? Who uses cameras to take pictures? Rarely the Leica man. You are personally insulting him and his vastly superior taste should you broach this topic.

When seen in brochures, the Leica man almost always is seen shooting out of the open top of a convertible. You'll see the Leica man wearing a suit shooting nature from his convertible in the 1954 Leica M3 instruction manual, and see him, much younger and less well dressed, doing the same in the Leica 2009 product catalog.

In every case, all that the Leica man need do to effect a photo is to wave his Leica out the open top of his car. This shall be sufficient.

The Leica man does not compromise. The Leica man is not interested in anything made elsewhere, like Japan. That is not Leica. The Leica man knows his brand: all because something has a red dot with LEICA or LEITZ on it doesn't make it a Leica.

The Leica man doesn't trouble himself with the twittering of lesser men who might expend effort trying to argue an M8 or Oriental pocket camera into Leicahood.

Canada is OK. We all love polar bears, baby seals, igloos, Eskimos, beer, rare Canadian penguins, Santa Claus, reindeer, hockey, maple syrup, free health care, celebrating the Christmas spirit year round, snow men and bacon.

Canada and Noctilux are OK in the Leica Man's book, not that he would ever go there except to look at polar bears from a warm, privately chartered and catered tundra buggy. The Leica man visits Churchill in August, when it's nice, and has his polar bears flown in for his pleasure. The Leica man doesn't rub elbows with the common man — there are germs.

The Leica man is not a collector. He is not the weak man wandering aimlessly in search of someone else's old camera. The Leica man exudes confidence and leads by example. The Leica man doesn't care if his Leicas (or anything) become worn or soiled in the course of having a good time; if so, he simply has them replaced.

We all benefit from the Leica man's unending quest for excellence. It is the Leica man we thank for the abundance of like-new Leica cameras available used. The Leica man acquires what he needs new, and disposes of it when done. Why would he clutter his home with month-old cameras from his last luxury trip when better to buy new for his next adventure? "Never sit on an asset" says the Leica man. It is in this way that he is assured of always having the newest and best.

The Leica man doesn't trouble himself with products with which Leica itself can't be bothered. If a product is no longer in production, it is not the best and the Leica man has no use for it either. The Leica man knows that products made in limited quantities are those which were bought in limited quantities — because few people wanted them. If no one else wanted them, why would the Leicaman?

The Leicaman only acquires new items. Why should he care about another man's cast-offs?

Man, I wish I was that guy. j/k

I remember they used to say only doctors and dentist bought Leica. Then they said the same about Porsche.

Boy, have times have changed.

Old 31 October 2020, 05:39 PM   #52
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

I actually read the entire post and found it quite interesting and put a smile on my early morning sour puss face..! :) I seen a youtube video of Leica opening up a flagship store in Washington DC and all in that video fit this write up... Thanks for sharing this... SPEEEEEEDY..!
Old 31 October 2020, 05:50 PM   #53
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
A camera..? :)
Have you used a Rangefinder before? Most people don't like them.
Old 31 October 2020, 05:59 PM   #54
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Have you used a Rangefinder before? Most people don't like them.

No I have never ever used one before but hopefully soon I will give it a try. I do have 2 other leicas but both are not a rangefinder. I been on youtube the last several days watching videos on basic rangefinder use. I guess also with my 2 lenses I bought, neither one is a good starter lens to learn with but oh well they are both a great investment..
Old 31 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #55
BreguetRolex
Banned

74DD872A-6BB6-4821-8688-46F03CDACB58.jpeg

0E03A5A5-EB58-4CF3-991A-D6C3B8BB9811.jpeg

9018ED02-7D73-4657-88D2-B1222B551B35.jpeg

44660386-45A2-4CCE-A0EA-1810EF2EB231.jpeg

FC0608FB-B567-416E-8F1F-1C032373A7DC.jpeg
Old 31 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #56
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Brilliant photos Laszlo !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:30 AM   #57
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have 4 Leicas. Two film, two digital.

M6
IIIF
X1
X2

The M6 is a fantastic camera:

It's challenge to use rangefinders, especially for action, but it's fun and rewarding. Using a Leica M camera is an "experience."

And as Blasnky mentioned, the end result of Leica print touches on the medium format, and I assume the same for Hasselblad and LF. I recently bought two Hasselblad 500s and three lenses but have not processed any film from them yet.

Here is a print (hanging) I made from the Leica M6 and scanned Kodachrome. The print is 44" wide and unusually sharp for 35mm. Plenty of detail from Leica glass.

I look forward to what the Hasselblad can do and welcome the challenge of square format.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:44 AM   #58
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

One of the reasons a Rangefinder became so popular in some circles and especially the Leica was the lens sharpness AND the fact there is no mirror slap and no mirror noise.

It's a perfect camera for street shooting and for photojournalism because it's pretty much completely quiet. I believe David Kennerly used one as the White House photographer back in the day.

And also the fact that they are generally a smaller package (camera and lens) than a SLR (single lens reflex).

For people that don't know the difference is that in a SLR you are looking through the lens of the camera and when you trip the shutter the mirror inside flips up to allow the exposure of the film and then flips back down again. That's the noise you hear when you take the picture. The mirror movement can also cause vibration of the camera causing blur in low light.

A Rangefinder is a camera that you are basically just looking through a viewfinder not connect to the lens. So when you take the picture the only noise is the tiny amount the shutter makes.

Basically all different camera systems have a learning curve and sometimes you find that one system or the other isn't for you. Which is fine.

There is also the horses for courses argument.
Old 1 November 2020, 12:44 AM   #59
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Wonderful shots Laszlo!
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:55 AM   #60
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
One of the reasons a Rangefinder became so popular in some circles and especially the Leica was the lens sharpness AND the fact there is no mirror slap and no mirror noise.

It's a perfect camera for street shooting and for photojournalism because it's pretty much completely quiet. I believe David Kennerly used one as the White House photographer back in the day.

And also the fact that they are generally a smaller package (camera and lens) than a SLR (single lens reflex).

For people that don't know the difference is that in a SLR you are looking through the lens of the camera and when you trip the shutter the mirror inside flips up to allow the exposure of the film and then flips back down again. That's the noise you hear when you take the picture. The mirror movement can also cause vibration of the camera causing blur in low light.

A Rangefinder is a camera that you are basically just looking through a viewfinder not connect to the lens. So when you take the picture the only noise is the tiny amount the shutter makes.
Making it easier to hand hold in lower light with slower shutter speeds (theoretically).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote