The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2020, 04:54 AM   #31
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
I went from a 44 inch waist to a 31 inch and from 265lbs to 150lbs. Yah I am no spring chicken but still can hold my own in 50K races with the young bucks..:) How big is your want to..? I dont mind sharing my story and pics as most on here will never show there face ever..:)
C'mon, you just like to show those pictures to show your man purse.

You metrosexual you.
Old 31 October 2020, 04:54 AM   #32
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Seeing this just motivates me....!

74403303-9532-4C89-AD2F-65BDA8A923B9.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:57 AM   #33
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Before and after I decided to go into physico health mode...!

Attachment 1180220

Attachment 1180221

Attachment 1180222
You look happy in the first pic. Did your diet change make your hair grow?

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:59 AM   #34
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
C'mon, you just like to show those pictures to show your man purse.

You metrosexual you.
That picture was when I was in my hay day of eating out fancy dinner and drinking lots of margaritas.. That happens to be my very very first piece of Tumi I ever bought and to this day I still carry it with me world wide. yes the kids also rag me for using it but i dont care. If you look closely you will see my wife wearing her very first Rolex I bought her for our 25th wedding anniversary many moons ago..:)
Old 31 October 2020, 05:08 AM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Yup agree. We are all just gazelles (or some are wildebeests) wandering on the Serengeti as the lions are looking down on the menu. There are no guarantees even if we do everything "right".

All we can do is better our odds by a healthy lifestyle (or walk beside the wildebeests--they're kinda slow).

I had an electrical heart malfunction while playing hockey (Wolff Parkinson White syndrome) when I was 39. Heart rate hit 314 beats a minute and wouldn't kick out. Completely out of the blue. Supposedly genetic. No previous symptoms. So no guarantees in life.

So I became aware that I wasn't hollow inside after all and there is a lot of complex stuff going on in there that needs respecting.
WPW ...that is insane...

I'm happy you made it through that, very serious, you are very fortunate. This experience is now a very important data point to note for your family medical history.

Many years ago I remember the first time I read someone say, wear in health, back then it seemed an odd thing got say, in recent years, it makes a lot more sense. Take care and enjoy the weekend.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:23 AM   #36
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
WPW ...that is insane...

This experience is now a very important data point to note for your family medical history.
Interestingly I was adopted and I never had kids so the medical history is kinda moot.

Although we have been married for 30 years and my wife is still in the medical electrophysiology field and for a few years my case got to be presented at electrophysiology seminars by my doctor as a rather rare case.

After the ablation in 1990, I was playing baseball the next weekend and have played hockey ever since. So no real side effects. Had another successful ablation a couple of years ago.

My wife says I'm just weird, and lets it go at that.
Old 31 October 2020, 05:38 AM   #37
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Interestingly I was adopted and I never had kids so the medical history is kinda moot.

Although we have been married for 30 years and my wife is still in the medical electrophysiology field and for a few years my case got to be presented at electrophysiology seminars by my doctor as a rather rare case.

After the ablation in 1990, I was playing baseball the next weekend and have played hockey ever since. So no real side effects. Had another successful ablation a couple of years ago.

My wife says I'm just weird, and lets it go at that.
Rare indeed, I'm sure you were like a science experiment. I'm haven't had a long career but in my relatively short experience, I have not ever seen WPW or Torsades in the field nor has any of my colleagues.
It's good to see you're fully recovered, now that you let the cat out the bag, hope you don't mind if I pm you in the future as I continue to study. WPW always comes up...
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:44 AM   #38
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Rare indeed, I'm sure you were like a science experiment. I'm haven't had a long career but in my relatively short experience, I have not ever seen WPW or Torsades in the field nor has any of my colleagues.
It's good to see you're fully recovered, now that you let the cat out the bag, hope you don't mind if I pm you in the future as I continue to study. WPW always comes up...
Sure. No problem. My wife also works for a medical device company. Implantable pacemakers and defibrillators.

My understanding of WPW was that it showed up in young kids with multiple daily events and in older people. My weirdness was that I was 39 and only had one massive episode. At the time my radio frequency ablation took 13 hours. Now they do them in 45 minutes.

The only time you seem to hear about WPW these days is when some athlete has some heart episode and is career threatening.
Old 31 October 2020, 06:29 AM   #39
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Feels great to be back at the gym.

Just need to figure out ways to go more often.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:35 AM   #40
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
You look happy in the first pic. Did your diet change make your hair grow?

Yes Fat-Happy-Bald VRS Thin-Fit-Grumpy-Grey Hair..
Old 31 October 2020, 06:38 AM   #41
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
priceless.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
x2.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:49 AM   #42
BreguetRolex
Banned

without a solid and stable running ticker what good are yah is the question..?
Old 31 October 2020, 12:19 PM   #43
rob1200
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I put a lot of time, effort and work into my "GIG" and on days like today with it sleeting and wind blowing 18+MPH , I blew off a day out on the road and just feeling guilty about it for some reason. Setting here in my office on the net and typing this sure beats the heck out of out on my bike when it feels like bloody SIBERIA to me..!
I'm sure you've considered an indoor exercise bike for the days when the weather sucks. A Peloton bike or similar might be a good match for you. It's not hard to set up a big screen and cue up a first-person video of a Tour de France stage. Mont Ventoux! Alpe d'Huez!

After a few collisions with vehicles over the decades (I don't call them accidents when they are caused by driver negligence), I actually prefer riding indoors. I can listen to music and allow my mind to drift, rather than having to stay laser-focused on the road and vehicles around me. (Obviously this is in reference to road biking, not mountain biking.)

Maybe you already have an indoor setup and pictures will be forthcoming.
rob1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:29 PM   #44
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
How much effort and time should be put into ones health and well being..? Is it really worth it at all ..? I ponder these thoughts when I see other guys my age and older still smoking their cigarettes and eating a big old greasy double bacon cheeseburger. Does it really matter much in the big picture what we eat, smoke,drink etc etc etc.... hmmmmm
You are only responsible for yourself and what you think is right, who cares what your neighbors are doing. We all have implanted DNA and genetic predispositions so those will always work for, or, against us. Regardless the best thing you can do is maximize your potential by pursuing a healthy lifestyle and eat smart, exercise and do the right thing, and when you can't, correct it ASAP. Playing with fire and being jealous of careless behavior won't serve a good purpose, JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:47 PM   #45
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I think the older you get, the more important good health is to you.
Most young people are fortunate to enjoy good general health but by the late 40's genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors are starting to make their presence felt.
I am a big fan of the 'everything in moderation" approach - unless of course it is something that clearly harms your health.
I am a 68yo physically fit and active 140lb person and I find it difficult to believe that anyone over 65 really feels as good as they did at 30. Must be the power of positive thinking, or something they are smoking....

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:46 PM   #46
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1200 View Post
I'm sure you've considered an indoor exercise bike for the days when the weather sucks. A Peloton bike or similar might be a good match for you. It's not hard to set up a big screen and cue up a first-person video of a Tour de France stage. Mont Ventoux! Alpe d'Huez!

After a few collisions with vehicles over the decades (I don't call them accidents when they are caused by driver negligence), I actually prefer riding indoors. I can listen to music and allow my mind to drift, rather than having to stay laser-focused on the road and vehicles around me. (Obviously this is in reference to road biking, not mountain biking.)

I have one of those things and just hate getting on it. For the last 12 years my wife and I would already be long gone off to Sri Lanka for the winter and no concerns of cold and ugly weather but this year we are still unable to return back. It looks like we may be held up possibly the entire month of November too. Yes I will get on it and also just crack down more on my food intake etc....
Old 31 October 2020, 06:34 PM   #47
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I am a believer in moderation for nearly every facet of life, including diet and exercise.
It should be everything in moderation - including moderation.
Regular blowouts are good for me.
In many cases living healthily will not extend your life but it might make it nicer to be alive.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:38 PM   #48
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1200 View Post

Best idea.

I’m 72 and still working full time in my engineering business.

When testing and installing equipment in the field I probably walk about 5km/day + stairs.

I just climbed off my indoor bike and do a few sets of 20 minutes when I can each evening varying the speed to keep my heart rate at about 110/120 so I’m not pushing very hard.

I drink wine and spirits but don’t smoke. (Cigar and a good Scotch very now and then).

About 5’8” and was 77k this morning.

Some amazing posts so far and I hope you are all heading for a fit and healthy future.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:46 PM   #49
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
It should be everything in moderation - including moderation.
Regular blowouts are good for me.
In many cases living healthily will not extend your life but it might make it nicer to be alive.
my "GOAL" is not for a extension of life but the years I am here are not confined to a sofa with no ability or desire to do anything put just exist. I honestly think I can keep my hectic pace of cycling and seeing the world with my wife for years to come. I have no idea what the next day may bring me as it all can go up in a puff of smoke in a single heart beat... My motto is live for another day and one at a time..!
Old 31 October 2020, 07:01 PM   #50
BreguetRolex
Banned

So this is me and 2 of my high school class mates this July . We are now out of high school for 49 years. The guy Joe pictured has and still is a runner with over 125,000 miles he has run in his life since doing it from age 14. He runs every single day and is as obsessed as me with him running and me cycling but the big difference is he has been doing it his entire life, I myself only for the last 15 years. Karen the other classmate is also a runner and takes very good care of herself to. You do not see to many out of High School almost 50 years that still keep at it...

E5AFD74B-BB63-41D6-86BC-F9999093CEBC_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 1 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #51
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I ride so that I can eat well.

I eat so that I can ride well.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:53 AM   #52
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Before and after I decided to go into physico health mode...!

Attachment 1180220

Attachment 1180221

Attachment 1180222
Like night and day....
Good on you man..or rather off you...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:09 AM   #53
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Beginning of this year, I was 260 pounds at 5'11". I decided I was sick of being fat and unhealthy.

I am now 190 pounds, love mountain biking and rock climbing.

My resting heart rate was an awful 90 and now is 48.

So worth the change, and even more so now that my wife is pregnant with my first child.

It has been tough, but I can now say something I never thought I would say...I love cardio! 20201031_100048.jpg20201031_100027.jpgSmartSelect_20201031-100445_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20201031-100848_Photos.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:31 AM   #54
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostick View Post
Beginning of this year, I was 260 pounds at 5'11". I decided I was sick of being fat and unhealthy.

So worth the change, and even more so now that my wife is pregnant with my first child.

It has been tough, but I can now say something I never thought I would say...I love cardio! Attachment 1180413Attachment 1180415Attachment 1180417Attachment 1180418

Pyrostick well done!! I was in the same situation as you height weight wise. Started in late July eating less, healthier and riding my Echelon. I’m down about 40 lbs so far and want to get to 190 overall. I’ll be there in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:34 AM   #55
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:

It has been tough, but I can now say something I never thought I would say...I love cardio! Attachment 1180413Attachment 1180415Attachment 1180417Attachment 1180418

Excellent... Good for you All..!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:44 AM   #56
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:

I had an electrical heart malfunction while playing hockey (Wolff Parkinson White syndrome) when I was 39. Heart rate hit 314 beats a minute and wouldn't kick out. Completely out of the blue. Supposedly genetic. No previous symptoms. So no guarantees in life.

So I became aware that I wasn't hollow inside after all and there is a lot of complex stuff going on in there that needs respecting.
Yep, short circuit at birth. Lucky for you it's "easy" to fix and one burn and you're done. Also, cath/EP lab nurses are the best so you scored a good one!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 03:14 AM   #57
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:

"HUGE KUDOS" to you...! Well as you read above I was just a tad more then you when I decided to do something about it and have kept the entire amount now going on 15 years without a LB going back on....Keep it up and never turn back..
Old 1 November 2020, 07:31 AM   #58
BreguetRolex
Banned

this afternoon was really trying to crank out some serious wattage in this brutal wind on my singlespped for no other reason but to get my "TICKER" all jacked up and out of shape..Not many out today because of the cold and ugly wind..HAPPY Camper now and STELLA TIME.. Cheers..

A193B2EA-6861-479F-BEA7-B60E4174E1E7.jpeg

12D67BFD-AC2F-4B59-893C-DC4414064209.jpeg

7CBBDCEB-EB98-49B4-B409-13A142467320.jpeg

C5F5A633-FE63-4F49-A135-F9D1EA88561B.jpeg

3FD2DA00-7CAB-4A22-A8E9-6EEDBDE8A07F.jpeg
Old 1 November 2020, 09:28 AM   #59
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
It is universally accepted that some regular exercise is good for everyone,
(I power-walk for an hour every morning) but the trick is to find what is right for you. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will extend your life but it generally makes however long you get more pleasant.
I appear to have damaged ligaments in both knees as a result of 20 years of traditional Karate, which doesn't stop me walking each morning but introduces a degree of instability (and occasional pain) that has to be compensated for.
A mate decided to start running at age 50 and only lasted a couple of months before his ankles called a halt.
My Daughter was a level 10 gymnast and has a lifetime of lower joint problems as a consequence.
Some folks spend half their life in the Gym and if that works for them I say good for you but the key thing is that it doesn't leave you with a legacy of physical problems later in life when these issues really have a major impact on your ability to function and enjoy life.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 09:50 AM   #60
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I am a believer in moderation for nearly every facet of life, including diet and exercise.
Yup. Same here.
With exception of oysters.

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote