The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2018, 03:27 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
" It's still too big for me as a daily wearer, but that's just a question of personal taste." - typical watch blogger comment instead of saying what he really thinks....
This is my only issue with Hodinkee. I find it odd that their job is to cover and review watches in the year 2018, not 1957 and they make a similar comment anytime they have a non vintage watch above 39mm.

Its a fair point if reviewing a big pilot (which is a great watch BTW), but 41mm watches, come on. Plus a Patek 41mm is is smaller than a Rolex 40mm in most cases. This hipster vintage vibe they push is making them go down hill IMO.

Glasses, beards, sweaters, vintage <38mm watches. Its the Hodinkee work uniform and they are multiplying with every new hire.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:09 AM   #32
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I think I really like this thing...I think...I mean I had my heart set on a black dial but love the fact you can actually read it vs the blue or black dial and I think the arabaic numerals do a nice job balancing the bottom heavy dial.

If it has the more vintage look vs too salmon I'm a buyer.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:57 AM   #33
hualcantara
"TRF" Member

Are the platinum versions more limited than the gold ones (for example the 5270G)?
hualcantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The reviews following the article were mostly very negative. Most people just do not like the 5270. I think the dials are really boring compared to the predecessors. I do not see PP abandoning this very fine movement. But a reincarnation of the case/dial is probably in the making soon. Unless you have money to spare I would be careful on this one. The negative comments on the color of the salmon dial could be another "chin"
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:58 AM   #35
pam66
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=tyler1980;8495495]This is my only issue with Hodinkee. I find it odd that their job is to cover and review watches in the year 2018, not 1957 and they make a similar comment anytime they have a non vintage watch above 39mm.

Its a fair point if reviewing a big pilot (which is a great watch BTW), but 41mm watches, come on. Plus a Patek 41mm is is smaller than a Rolex 40mm in most cases. This hipster vintage vibe they push is making them go down hill IMO.

Glasses, beards, sweaters, vintage <38mm watches. Its the Hodinkee work uniform and they are multiplying with every new hire. [/QUOTE

and they make a watch discussion (three on three) sound like a funeral service
pam66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:25 AM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Can't get over the asymmetry of numbers on top and none below. I love the salmon color dial but would have preferred sticks and dots to mark the hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I agree, otherwise very bottom heavy, and nice to see Breguets avoided for once.
Not too concerned with the numbers on top only as the rest of the hours are clearly identified.

My favorite detail is actually the black numbers on the salmon dial.

Truth be told the biggest issue I have with PC/Chrono complications is the conundrum between having the finest manual wind movment vs the lack of an auto movment that the PC would benefit from

Overall I think it is as good looking an offering as the 5270 line has born.
Old 18 April 2018, 08:39 AM   #37
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The reviews following the article were mostly very negative. Most people just do not like the 5270. I think the dials are really boring compared to the predecessors. I do not see PP abandoning this very fine movement. But a reincarnation of the case/dial is probably in the making soon. Unless you have money to spare I would be careful on this one. The negative comments on the color of the salmon dial could be another "chin"
It’s funny, everyone I know who has seen the piece has said it was their favourite piece at Basel. Both AD’s I deal with are super complementary - but neither was allocated a piece! I look forward to judging for myself in June at the roadshow event.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #38
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Within Hodinkee, there are several writers and I like reading Ben Clymer's review articles. His articles seem fairly objective, although he certainly has his own preference/bias.

I am not a fan of some of their other staff writers. They don't seem to be as familiar with Patek watches and the articles are written more as an editorial, rather than as a review article.

Hopefully there will be better written review articles from other watch blogs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:00 AM   #39
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I think it’s amazing, and maybe a watch I would consider had I a little more money available, but since I don’t my 2 watches in sight at the moment, which will also take a certain time to get, are the RM 035-01, tried one on and it is really cool, and a 5740, I saw the video and it looks just amazing, but having the 5712 I will wait before thinking of getting one, don’t have much choice anyways since I don’t have the funds, but if it is really as awesome in real as in vids, I am going to visit the Manufacture in 2 days so with some luck will see both 5270p, 5740 and also my favorite GC from PP the 5316P, then I might aim for it as my next PP, just hoping prices on the grey market will fall consequently, though I think PP will make few of them to keep demand and prices high...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:34 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I think it’s amazing, and maybe a watch I would consider had I a little more money available, but since I don’t my 2 watches in sight at the moment, which will also take a certain time to get, are the RM 035-01, tried one on and it is really cool, and a 5740, I saw the video and it looks just amazing, but having the 5712 I will wait before thinking of getting one, don’t have much choice anyways since I don’t have the funds, but if it is really as awesome in real as in vids, I am going to visit the Manufacture in 2 days so with some luck will see both 5270p, 5740 and also my favorite GC from PP the 5316P, then I might aim for it as my next PP, just hoping prices on the grey market will fall consequently, though I think PP will make few of them to keep demand and prices high...
Look forward to pics and your thoughts Arnaud.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 05:29 AM   #41
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
It’s funny, everyone I know who has seen the piece has said it was their favourite piece at Basel. Both AD’s I deal with are super complementary - but neither was allocated a piece! I look forward to judging for myself in June at the roadshow event.
Were the AD's not allocated a piece because they didn't have any confirmed orders or did they request an allocation to fulfil and order which got declined by PP?
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 03:28 AM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

tried on all the basel releases today at the salon in London No pics, sorry. Went in to get a 1.5 link for my 5990 and had no idea they had the pieces there so i was not prepared.

The 5270P is amazing but that one didn't live up to the insanely high expectations i had for it, so i don't really know what to think. Great wrist presence and the dial color is excellent though. Its not a grail watch for me, but its very, very nice. The price makes it a non starter for anything short of grail material though.

5968 was so nice IRL. I prefer it to my 5164A so that is saying a lot as i love that watch. Great thickness and the size is perfect for a sporty piece on a strap.

The Nautilus PC is better than i thought too and i would consolidate the 5711 and the 5712 for that one in theory. Its very thin and the WG gives it amazing heft. Best blue dial of all the Nautilus's i have personally seen. Much more blue than the grey/blue dial of my 5712.

5524R is underwhelming. The RG color is very light and it almost looks like a dirty WG as opposed to a vibrant RG. The dial is nice and looks black with hardly any brown to be seen, but the blue 5524G dial is so much nicer.

5205G... meh, really meh

The salon said the new clasps for the aquanaut will filter down into the other aquanauts. That seemed to be a pretty sure thing as far as they were concerned. The more interesting thing was they also said they thought the new nautilus clasp might also become available for other pieces besides the PC. Both clasps are huge improvements to the existing ones and that was my biggest takeaway from the visit.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 28 April 2018, 03:37 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
tried on all the basel releases today at the salon in London No pics, sorry. Went in to get a 1.5 link for my 5990 and had no idea they had the pieces there so i was not prepared.

The 5270P is amazing but that one didn't live up to the insanely high expectations i had for it, so i don't really know what to think. Great wrist presence and the dial color is excellent though.

The Nautilus PC is better than i thought too and i would consolidate the 5711 and the 5712 for that one in theory. Its very thin and the WG gives it amazing heft.

5524R is underwhelming. The RG color is very light and it almost looks like a dirty WG as opposed to a vibrant RG. The dial is nice and looks black hardly any brown to be seen, but the blue 5524G dial is so much nicer.

5205G... meh, really meh

The salon said the new clasps for the aquanaut will filter down into the other aquanauts. That seemed to be a pretty sure thing as far as they were concerned. The more interesting thing was they also said they thought the new nautilus clasp might also become available for other pieces besides the PC. Both clasps are huge improvements to the existing ones and that was my biggest takeaway from the visit.
Cheers for that, are they in there for a while?

Do I take it that the salmon dial is a bit more smoked than poached, in an orange colour?
Old 28 April 2018, 03:42 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Cheers for that, are they in there for a while?

Do I take it that the salmon dial is a bit more smoked than poached, in an orange colour?
i think just through today. Was not clear if saturday was part of the showing or not. Nothing was on display that i saw, so it seems they were not really advertising the fact that they even had them. It was kind of weird actually.

I assume salon customers were probably notified, but since i am not one i just stumbled upon it by luck. We were talking Basel when i was waiting on my link to be installed and they went and got all the watches for me to try on.

The salmon dial is salmon for sure. Its darker than some of the pics i have seen.
Old 28 April 2018, 04:42 AM   #45
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hualcantara View Post
Are the platinum versions more limited than the gold ones (for example the 5270G)?
Tough to say. The common belief is platinum is more limited, BUT some big collectors actually believe patek has made more platinum watches of certain references as the margin is the greatest on those and hence leaves more profit of the manufacturer and the AD. For instance some believe that there were more 5970P made as compared to the gold counterparts. On the other hand it is commonly believe there are less 5070Ps as compares to the gold counterparts.

I wonder a lot about if they will make less or more 5131Ps for instance.... something to think about.

Quote:
i think just through today. Was not clear if saturday was part of the showing or not. Nothing was on display that i saw, so it seems they were not really advertising the fact that they even had them. It was kind of weird actually.

I assume salon customers were probably notified, but since i am not one i just stumbled upon it by luck. We were talking Basel when i was waiting on my link to be installed and they went and got all the watches for me to try on.

The salmon dial is salmon for sure. Its darker than some of the pics i have seen.
thanks and interesting to hear. I would love to see the new nautilus clasp on the nautilus line generally.
Old 28 April 2018, 04:50 AM   #46
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The 5270P is amazing but that one didn't live up to the insanely high expectations i had for it, so i don't really know what to think. Great wrist presence and the dial color is excellent though. Its not a grail watch for me, but its very, very nice. The price makes it a non starter for anything short of grail material though.

5968 was so nice IRL. I prefer it to my 5164A so that is saying a lot as i love that watch. Great thickness and the size is perfect for a sporty piece on a strap.

The Nautilus PC is better than i thought too and i would consolidate the 5711 and the 5712 for that one in theory. Its very thin and the WG gives it amazing heft. Best blue dial of all the Nautilus's i have personally seen. Much more blue than the grey/blue dial of my 5712.

5524R is underwhelming. The RG color is very light and it almost looks like a dirty WG as opposed to a vibrant RG. The dial is nice and looks black with hardly any brown to be seen, but the blue 5524G dial is so much nicer.

5205G... meh, really meh

Thanks for the info. I won’t see the latest pieces until June.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #47
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a very nice looking watch I will say that. Salmon and platinum are hard to say "no" to. It just seems very expensive to me and for the same money you can get something else. Also how many will be made? I know we all are told very limited, but then....
I suspect the 5270/1R will be rarer than the P.. I expect mine to arrive in 3 months time.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 06:12 AM   #48
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I suspect the 5270/1R will be rarer than the P.. I expect mine to arrive in 3 months time.

Agree, 5270R and 5270G blue dial.

3 months for the 5270P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 April 2018, 06:23 AM   #49
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree, 5270R and 5270G blue dial.

3 months for the 5270P?

5270/1R.

However, boutique will bring in both 1R n P for me to choose.

Just received the 5131/1P last month way ahead of schedule. Already saw watchbox.com have one for sale (with premium of cos). I suspect, it’s not going to be a rare watch either.. maybe the 1R (5270) will be rare since is not to everyone taste.

HAGWE
Jennifer
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 06:25 AM   #50
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Hands on the 5270P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
5270/1R.

However, boutique will bring in both 1R n P for me to choose.

Just received the 5131/1P last month way ahead of schedule. Already saw watchbox.com have one for sale (with premium of cos). I suspect, it’s not going to be a rare watch either.. maybe the 1R (5270) will be rare since is not to everyone taste.

HAGWE

Jennifer

Understood. Congratulations on the 5131P! I had the pleasure of playing with One recently and it blew me away. I still think it will be an odd occurrence to come across one all things considered even if they make more than the golds... enjoy!

Old 28 April 2018, 07:50 AM   #51
pam66
"TRF" Member

today at the london PP salon....

basel 2018 news and the regulator....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3970.jpg (60.5 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3971.jpg (30.2 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3972.jpg (62.7 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3974.jpg (32.3 KB, 353 views)
Old 28 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
basel 2018 news and the regulator....
looks like you remembered to take pics unlike me

The salmon dial doesnt look THAT bad, i promise

The aquanaut chrono exceeded expectations for me more than any other piece. Some met expectations, some disappointed, some slightly exceeded, but the aquanaut far surpassed what i thought, and i already liked it going in.
Old 28 April 2018, 08:32 AM   #53
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The aquanaut chrono exceeded expectations for me more than any other piece. Some met expectations, some disappointed, some slightly exceeded, but the aquanaut far surpassed what i thought, and i already liked it going in.
yes, i took some bad shots......

here is my take on the watches:
i remember when i took the pic of the salmon dial i was frustrated that it didn't come out right. in reality the color is nice....the watch is a marvel, my PP level of education does not allow me though to judge whether it is a 'grail watch'.
i was not taken much by the PC nautilus, the color of the white gold seems strange and the lack of the seconds hand is almost a no-go for me.
the aquanaut looks good, very good actually. nice orange accents....
i do agree with you that the RG pilot 5524R is not a convincing product. i did not even like the sunburst dial. definitely prefer the 5524G (disclaimer: i am an owner:::::))))
btw, i really like the regulator 5235G more and more....
Old 5 May 2018, 12:39 AM   #54
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

I tried on the 5270P and 5740G today. The salmon dial looks very good. I was told the supply for 5270P, 5740G and particularly the 5968A will be limited.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20180504_124424.jpg1.pdf (124.4 KB, 97 views)
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:56 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I tried on the 5270P and 5740G today. The salmon dial looks very good. I was told the supply for 5270P, 5740G and particularly the 5968A will be limited.
No surprise the cheaper SS is the more limited, same script.
Old 5 May 2018, 12:09 PM   #56
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Finally , A Patek worth drooling over ...
Not that I’ll ever own one unless I win the lottery or in
Vegas ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 06:49 AM   #57
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a very nice looking watch I will say that. Salmon and platinum are hard to say "no" to. It just seems very expensive to me and for the same money you can get something else. Also how many will be made? I know we all are told very limited, but then....

For the same money you can get a lightly used Ferrari

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 06:52 AM   #58
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is my only issue with Hodinkee. I find it odd that their job is to cover and review watches in the year 2018, not 1957 and they make a similar comment anytime they have a non vintage watch above 39mm.

Glasses, beards, sweaters, vintage <38mm watches. Its the Hodinkee work uniform and they are multiplying with every new hire.

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 02:27 PM   #59
SW1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Were the AD's not allocated a piece because they didn't have any confirmed orders or did they request an allocation to fulfil and order which got declined by PP?
I think this is the issue...lots of people liked the idea of the watch...platinum...salmon (sort of) and PCC....I think that lots of interest isnt filtering into confirmed orders which may change as more collectors get to see the piece in the metal.
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:11 AM   #60
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Handled all the new Basel pieces earlier at a Patek event. The 5740 has a good heft to it and the blue is mesmerizing, but the highest praise goes out to the 5270p - that salmon dial is simply unbelievable. Can't seem to capture that hue on my phone though, what a waste.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote