The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2018, 04:45 PM   #31
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyhand View Post
Perhaps with photos it would be easier to relate.
The first one I call the Jewel Box. This is given for all new purchases.
The second I call the Leather Pouch. I understand these are given, at discretion, when a watch is sent for repairs. Alternatively, AD might issue you as a gift.
The third I would call paper boxes. I understand AD would not issue these nowadays.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I got the Jewel box and a travel watch case. Same one as in this ebay listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Patek-Phi...8/263614408107
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:50 PM   #32
PJ S
Banned

^
Funny, you managed to dig up the same listing I had posted 9 posts further up.
Surely it would’ve been easier to just reference that instead?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:56 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyhand View Post
Thanks Tyler for the info, especially on the phase de lune case.
That is why I like this forum. Getting knowledge where you might not be able to do so from ADs.
the only drawback is then you are acutely aware of all the gifts you are not getting from your AD. There is so much stuff available and you would never know it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 08:24 PM   #34
PJ S
Banned

^
Confirmed with Rhone – the change in what all was included in the purchase took place a month ago (mid-March). So if yours was around then, you should be able to “claim” the missing leather case.

Would be nice to get some feedback from the OP, now that we’ve helped him appreciate he didn’t get the presentation box, like he should’ve.
Old 18 April 2018, 08:31 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Confirmed with Rhone – the change in what all was included in the purchase took place a month ago (mid-March). So if yours was around then, you should be able to “claim” the missing leather case.

Would be nice to get some feedback from the OP, now that we’ve helped him appreciate he didn’t get the presentation box, like he should’ve.
thanks. can one simply call Rhone? What i mean is are they customer facing at all?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 April 2018, 08:36 PM   #36
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
^
Funny, you managed to dig up the same listing I had posted 9 posts further up.
Surely it would’ve been easier to just reference that instead?
It was easier the way I did it. That is why I did it. Sorry for not giving you credit.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:28 PM   #37
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thanks. can one simply call Rhone? What i mean is are they customer facing at all?
Yes, they would seem to have no issue with speaking directly to (potential) customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
It was easier the way I did it. That is why I did it. Sorry for not giving you credit.
Credit wasn’t the point – it was the fact you replicated what I’d already done and provided, that’s all.
Old 19 April 2018, 12:00 AM   #38
martinr
"TRF" Member

Another thread about boxes fascinating.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 12:47 AM   #39
PJ S
Banned

^
It involves leather this time, Martin – not brown cardboard – that’s what makes for such riveting reading.
Old 19 April 2018, 12:53 AM   #40
dc98354
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for charming in. I contacted the AD today and was told again beginning April all 'cheaper' SS watches will only be delivered with the travel case. This is a very reputable AD and the salesperson is good guy so I sort of believe it.

I have the proper wooden box and brown cardboard box for my 5712 I brought a few years ago.

The 5167 is the cheapest PP but I may contact PP to settle it once for all.
dc98354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:10 AM   #41
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc98354 View Post
Thanks all for charming in. I contacted the AD today and was told again beginning April all 'cheaper' SS watches will only be delivered with the travel case. This is a very reputable AD and the salesperson is good guy so I sort of believe it.

I have the proper wooden box and brown cardboard box for my 5712 I brought a few years ago.

The 5167 is the cheapest PP but I may contact PP to settle it once for all.
What lol they are axing the gorgeous wood box for low end pieces? That's cruel as it is the nicest box out there. I don't own a rolls so when I want a whiff of that luxury I go dig up my Patek boxes and give em a whiff

Old 19 April 2018, 01:18 AM   #42
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quick question OP, if they just gave you the watch in the travel case how were you handed the manual and warranty papers etc?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:29 AM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
What lol they are axing the gorgeous wood box for low end pieces? That's cruel as it is the nicest box out there. I don't own a rolls so when I want a whiff of that luxury I go dig up my Patek boxes and give em a whiff

im still not buying it. Maybe the AD is doing their own thing. A "low end" Patek is a 5711 and those are selling for the price of a PM Rolex at retail and 50k+ on the secondary market. Its not like they have a budget watch selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Quick question OP, if they just gave you the watch in the travel case how were you handed the manual and warranty papers etc?
exactly. this makes for an awful presentation. The box is part of the presentation and the ritual of it all. Thats why some people don't buy watches on the internet as there needs to be something special about it. Paraphrasing TheVTCGuy from his interview.
Old 19 April 2018, 04:11 AM   #44
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc98354 View Post
That’s as maybe, but the chap is yanking your chain, afaic.
Which AD are we talking about – one in Hong Kong or Portland, Oregon?
As far as I’m concerned, Patek operates a global policy rather than specific regional variations – that way everyone gets the same ensemble, irrespective of which AD they purchase from.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:30 AM   #45
martinr
"TRF" Member

So I just asked my AD about it and here in the USA it’s only the wood box. And that’s always been the case here.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 07:03 AM   #46
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
So I just asked my AD about it and here in the USA it’s only the wood box. And that’s always been the case here.
To my knowledge, The UK doesnt typically discount and they provide you with something like the travel case as a thank you for your patronage.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 07:22 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If true that is off, I even got a second wooden box when I stained my one with the brown dustbag left on the white leather, I even sold that on ebay and it paid for a nice dinner too.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #48
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

I don’t believe this at all, I think your AD is lying to you or misunderstanding Patek’s instructions and applying their policy on the cardboard boxes to the wooden ones. No way are Patek handing over a travel case and a documents envelope and nothing to keep them together in.
Old 19 April 2018, 09:52 AM   #49
dc98354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
I got all the documents in the usual envelope. I totally agreed that from the best presentation to now what I would call crappy!

I got the watch in HK and will call the distributior today.
dc98354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:11 PM   #50
PJ S
Banned

Confirmed via Geneva, the 5167, as of a month ago, is sold with both box types.
Obviously, any old stock acquired prior to this would’ve only had the high-gloss wooden box, unless Patek were restrospectively sending out the leather travel case — but I suspect that wasn’t the case, and it was new stock only.
Old 23 April 2018, 07:17 PM   #51
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Confirmed via Geneva, the 5167, as of a month ago, is sold with both box types.
Obviously, any old stock acquired prior to this would’ve only had the high-gloss wooden box, unless Patek were restrospectively sending out the leather travel case — but I suspect that wasn’t the case, and it was new stock only.
Thank you PJ
Old 28 May 2018, 05:24 PM   #52
AJW232
"TRF" Member

Has anyone who bought a PP since this policy came into effect not received a travel case with their watch? I bought an Aquanaut 5167a a fortnight ago and didn’t receive one. I didn’t question it at the time because I was happy enough to get the watch and already have two of the travel cases.
AJW232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:38 PM   #53
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
well i can confirm the first part... the 2nd case I have never gotten one.
It’s not mandatory but your AD can give it to you, I got the 2 watch one, pretty useful when I have 2 watches at home or if I go somewhere with 2 watches though I usually only have one watch when I travel and also a 1 piece phase de lune travel box
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 08:18 PM   #54
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
New travel box

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW232 View Post
Has anyone who bought a PP since this policy came into effect not received a travel case with their watch? I bought an Aquanaut 5167a a fortnight ago and didn’t receive one. I didn’t question it at the time because I was happy enough to get the watch and already have two of the travel cases.

I got my 5712 May 5th and only got the wooden box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2018, 05:08 AM   #55
Basel_World
Banned

I just acquired a Patek this month and was given the normal, wooden box as well a the travel case for one watch.
Basel_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 05:12 AM   #56
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel_World View Post
I just acquired a Patek this month and was given the normal, wooden box as well a the travel case for one watch.

Bummer, my AD didn’t give me one. Oh well still got a sweet watch

Old 29 May 2018, 03:38 PM   #57
SW1
Banned

The wooden boxes that remain in the cardboard outers only yo be seen again when the watch is sold!! PP should make a box that can be more functional like Jurgensen. Insert the travel roll. Let the tray jabe space for cufflinks and pens and voika you have something useful that can be used every day
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 03:40 PM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
The wooden boxes that remain in the cardboard outers only yo be seen again when the watch is sold!! PP should make a box that can be more functional like Jurgensen. Insert the travel roll. Let the tray jabe space for cufflinks and pens and voika you have something useful that can be used every day
watch box/humidor thats the ticket

Or watch box with an insert for multiple watches. You could fit at least 3 Pateks in the current box. After purchase if you could use it for storage it might get used more.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:12 PM   #59
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
watch box/humidor thats the ticket

Or watch box with an insert for multiple watches. You could fit at least 3 Pateks in the current box. After purchase if you could use it for storage it might get used more.

Cuervo y Sobrinos does that

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:16 PM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Cuervo y Sobrinos does that

that is awesome and useful at the same time