The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 June 2021, 11:32 AM   #1
DrThurmanMerman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Black Dial
Birth Year Watches

Anyone here end up getting a birth year watch? What did you get and why did you choose it?
DrThurmanMerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 11:34 AM   #2
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I’ve been looking for a few years for a 1983 16660 with the non white gold surrounds. Why the 16660, because I have thing for Sea Dwellers, apparently this transitional model is bit more expensive.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I tend to think that birth year watches are silly, but if you really care about it being a birth year watch, it needs to be verifiable IMO, not just estimated by the serial number. I don't see the point in trying hard to buy a birth year watch, only to end up with something that is approximately from your birth year. So with Rolex, you're limited to watches with the original paperwork, which are uncommon.

Better examples are military issued watches with the issue year on the case-back, brands that engrave the production year on the case (e.g. Seiko/Grand Seiko/Bulova), or watches from brands that provide extracts from their archives. I have several birth year watches that fall into these categories, but they were purchased because I happened to find appealing watches in good condition, and the fact that they were from my birth year was incidental. In the end, I don't value them any more than watches that are a few years older or younger. Condition and overall appeal matter much more to me.
Old 23 June 2021, 11:59 AM   #4
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I tend to think that birth year watches are silly, but if you really care about it being a birth year watch, it needs to be verifiable IMO, not just estimated by the serial number. I don't see the point in trying hard to buy a birth year watch, only to end up with something that is approximately from your birth year. So with Rolex, you're limited to watches with the original paperwork, which are uncommon.

Better examples are military issued watches with the issue year on the case-back, brands that engrave the production year on the case (e.g. Seiko/Grand Seiko/Bulova), or watches from brands that provide extracts from their archives. I have several birth year watches that fall into these categories, but they were purchased because I happened to find appealing watches in good condition, and the fact that they were from my birth year was incidental. In the end, I don't value them any more than watches that are a few years older or younger. Condition and overall appeal matter much more to me.
Well said, Dan
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 12:13 PM   #5
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
Well said, Dan

I’m of the same opinion, though I appreciate the sentimental significance. Once a case has been engraved, how long does it sit around before becoming a complete watch? At best you’re looking at a birth year mid case. When is a watch born? When it’s paired with a movement? When it leaves the factory? When it’s first sold?
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 12:23 PM   #6
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think birth year watches are silly as well. But that said, I picked up one that was made close to when I entered this world.

Why a 1675? Not sure. Pretty colors? Yeah, I'll go with that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 12:35 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I thought it was sort of a romantic notion, so I picked one up quite a few years back.

1967 - 5513 meters first (1.7m serial) all original, mint condition.

I really, really wanted to love that watch but unfortunately I just never bonded with it. It always felt a bit fragile ... like I was wearing a museum piece. I know flame me guys

I don't regret it, but it did help me realize I'm not a four digit guy.IMG_20151222_110227.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 01:13 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I have a couple of birth year watches that coincidentally happen to be from my birth year. I don't feel any extra bond with them from this.

Insisting on a birth year watch significantly narrows your pool of availablity for a decent piece.

You also can't know it was made exactly in your birth year - dating is only approximate. This renders the whole exercise pointless in the first place.

(Which is pretty much what Dan said. )
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 02:14 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I never fell for the silly notion of having the need to own a "birth year" watch that was originally propagated by watch dealers and later by collectors.

So, in short, no I don't have a birth year watch and don't plan on having one.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 02:58 PM   #10
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

I would go for a 16800 if I was born two years earlier, not a big fan of the WGS on the later models which overlap with my birth year.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 03:10 PM   #11
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Watches made when I was a kid, say 3-10 years old, are more evocative than a watch made in my birth year would be (because I have no memories of a time before I was about 3).
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 03:23 PM   #12
RolexGonz
"TRF" Member

I like pre-birth year watches :)

I was born in 1980 and have a 79 1680 and a 71 1675.
RolexGonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 03:32 PM   #13
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

while i am actively hunting one, i do agree that its more sentimental a reason. No right or wrong here.

It would be nice to know that the watch has been on this earth the same time as you, and the fairytale notion that you will "grow old" with it..

Again, silly but sometimes not everything has to be logical :)
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 06:57 PM   #14
R44
"TRF" Member

Mine came about by coincidence and was in no way intentional. I’d been looking a couple of years for a 1680 Red when I found the perfect watch for me in terms of condition and patina. It just happened to be a 71 which is my birth year, I do find the idea of birth year watches a bit pointless and would advise anyone to take time to hunt for the very best example of the model watch they are looking for rather than limit themselves to the much smaller pool of birth year watches.
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 07:05 PM   #15
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
I have 2 , as I collect dive watches I have a 1964 5513 gilt and a Tudor 7928.
I have also have 2002 Submariner that is my sons birth year. Imagine my surprise when I checked the paper work and the date of sale is one day after his birthday. I will give it to him when he turns 21.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 07:11 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hey Peter, you don’t happen to have a ‘48 MGTC BRG in your stable do you?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 07:12 PM   #17
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hey Peter, you don’t happen to have a ‘48 MGTC BRG in your stable do you?
No sorry
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 10:45 PM   #18
Zaslice
"TRF" Member

I like the idea of having a watch that’s as old as I am. I picked up a 18038 years ago when prices were very reasonable and I wanted gold. Not an exact science but according to online production date ranges it’s close enough for me. Sports models were too involved with the minutiae (and expensive) good luck!
Zaslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 09:23 AM   #19
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I have a 1968 birth year 5513. My intrigue stemmed from wearing and looking at a watch sold to someone on the year I entered this earth. Something pretty cool about that, and the fact that it’s a rolex only ads to the brand’s legacy, around way before me.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 08:52 AM   #20
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I was at my watchmaker one day getting a crystal replaced. I usually ask if he has anything interesting for sale. He retrieved a mint 6424 Oyster. The price was rock bottom. I asked his when it was made, he responded and it happened to be my birth year(1959). It followed me home.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 08:56 AM   #21
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Agree. It’s only interesting to me if the condition is what I want for a given price and it happens to be from my year of birth as a novelty, but not the focus of purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 09:26 AM   #22
cts
"TRF" Member

Question for all of you who have a vintage Rolex (1970 and earlier)...

While winding, is the sound louder with these older timepieces vs newer ones (2000-current)? Thanks gentlemen!!!
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 01:26 PM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I was at my watchmaker one day getting a crystal replaced. I usually ask if he has anything interesting for sale. He retrieved a mint 6424 Oyster. The price was rock bottom. I asked his when it was made, he responded and it happened to be my birth year(1959). It followed me home.
You know we're all wanting a photo of it. Come on...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 10:14 PM   #24
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
I have one; a 1986 Sea-Dweller. It’s a transitionional 16660. If you think it’s cool, then that’s all that matters. Don’t worry about validation from a bunch of nerds on a watch forum.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 10:18 PM   #25
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Seven View Post
I have one; a 1986 Sea-Dweller. It’s a transitionional 16660. If you think it’s cool, then that’s all that matters. Don’t worry about validation from a bunch of nerds on a watch forum.
Nerds????????????

Old 26 June 2021, 11:26 PM   #26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M/1601/1500
My 2 birth year watches (1976) with papers

It was a long search but it was fun to do and worth it: very happy with both!

Old 26 June 2021, 11:31 PM   #27
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Nerds????????????

Myself included.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 01:52 AM   #28
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I thought it was sort of a romantic notion, so I picked one up quite a few years back.

1967 - 5513 meters first (1.7m serial) all original, mint condition.

I really, really wanted to love that watch but unfortunately I just never bonded with it. It always felt a bit fragile ... like I was wearing a museum piece. I know flame me guys

I don't regret it, but it did help me realize I'm not a four digit guy.Attachment 1228834

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Very nice Brian, is it still with you, since you didn’t bond with it?

Old 27 June 2021, 01:59 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVo8 View Post
Very nice Brian, is it still with you, since you didn’t bond with it?

It was a beauty indeed Kevin

I had it about 2 years and eventually I moved it on to a vintage dealer here.

I got what I paid for it so I was happy. Now they sell for about twice that amount
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 02:14 AM   #30
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I’ve been looking for a few years for a 1983 16660 with the non white gold surrounds. Why the 16660, because I have thing for Sea Dwellers, apparently this transitional model is bit more expensive.
As an old geezer born in 1970 going Sea Dweller is a bit more challenging. BUT I was able to get a nice 2006 model which is my son’s birth year.
16600 strikes the perfect balance of Rolex features for me.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth year