The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 August 2019, 09:18 AM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Should I Do It?

I've recently started appreciating pens. Up until recently, I'd never used a fountain pen and the nicest pen that I'd used for anything was one I got from Waterford crystal about 20 years ago.

Last year, I bought a Montblanc ballpoint pen from Costco and really appreciated the way that it wrote.

That led to me buying a random fountain pen (nothing special) to try and I fell in love with the way a fountain pen wrote, so I bought a Montblanc fountain pen (Starwalker Resin Ultra Black) and love it.

So, now I have a chance to buy the JFK fountain pen for a fairly reasonable price. I'm not sure if I should buy it?

The big difference is that the one I currently have uses cartridges and I believe that the JFK pen only has the well-fill (is that the right terminology?) option. Does it make a big difference? Is it worth it to buy another pen? Or just say that I have a few and be happy with them?

Thoughts?
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Hi,

Yes, the JFK is a Piston Filler. It is a lovely pen, but if you are new to fountain pens and are set on a Montblanc, I would suggest that you start with a MB 147 (if you prefer cartridges) or a 146 if you would like to get your feet wet with a piston filler.

The JFK is a "Great Characters" Special Edition and can be very expensive even at a "fairly reasonable price". However, if you love it then absolutely make it yours. If possible, make sure you write with it before you purchase it. MB isn't known for having the best nibs out of the box and I would say that about 1/2 of mine needed some minor work in order to get it to flow correctly.

As you move along with FPs you will discover different kinds of nibs. There is the Stub nib, Obliques, Italics, and so forth. These nibs with transform your handwriting. At least they did for me. This link gives examples.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...ions_from_the/

One of the reasons I really enjoy Lamy fountain pens is that you can easily change out nibs and go from one type to another in about 20 seconds. Nibs cost about $10.00 each and the Lamy pens start at about $25.00. And they write really well.

And then you get into inks. There are literally 1000s of different kinds and colors.

Fountain pens can consume you! Read, read, READ!!! The Fountain Pen Network is a great resource of information of all things Fountain pens. Google it up. It is free to join and most of the folks there are very willing to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

If you need any help in choosing or more information send me a PM. I will be glad to assist.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:16 AM   #3
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Love the JFK. But mines not a fountain. Compatible with rollerball or fineliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk