The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 August 2019, 04:26 AM   #1
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Thoughts on the Skyracer ?

Hey all !

Was thinking of picking up a new Colt Skyracer. Love the style of it, and it’s super accurate Quartz movement. Anyone own / have owned one of these pieces ?

Just got a new job and want this to be a new everyday / do anything watch.

I know it looks almost exactly like a Luminox for a LOT more $$ but I’ve never owned a Breitling and figure this would be a great entry into the brand.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 04:55 AM   #2
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I’ve had mine for just over a year and I love it. It’s extremely light and you almost never feel like you’re wearing a watch. Accuracy is as good as it gets. My only complaint is that the strap is a little stiff since it’s so thick. I got a nato to use as well and like the look but I’ve never worn it on there for an extended period of time. I know some guys have both the black and green rubber strap but I’m not a huge fan of how the green looks.

Price wise it is a bit much but there are always deals to be found.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:46 AM   #3
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Nice !
Glad to see someone owns this piece !

Is it difficult to put a NATO on it ? In all the reviews and pics I see of this watch, it has the rubber strap on it ( due to that strange proprietary strap changing system that the watch uses ).
Is it as easy as just putting the spring bars seated back in the watch and just run the nato strap through ?
Old 28 August 2019, 05:46 AM   #4
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Nice !
Glad to see someone owns this piece !

Is it difficult to put a NATO on it ? In all the reviews and pics I see of this watch, it has the rubber strap on it ( due to that strange proprietary strap changing system that the watch uses ).
Is it as easy as just putting the spring bars seated back in the watch and just run the nato strap through ?
Old 28 August 2019, 06:11 AM   #5
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

The NATO strap is easy to put on but there aren’t any spring bars. You can see in this link how the strap fits into the lugs.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/breitli...orld-2017/amp/

While the fit is tight, it makes me a little nervous just having the strap sit inside those grooves where the rubber strap usually fits in. I’m certain it’s fine but I’m just too careful to have it somehow come loose.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Perfect ! Thanks for your help ! Jomashop has the for $1680 so I think I’m gonna order one this week.
Old 5 September 2019, 04:48 AM   #7
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Should have this watch this weekend or early next week. Jomashop was out of stock apparently.

I read some forums and from I’ve read - this watch is supposedly gonna be discontinued sometime soon ?
Old 5 September 2019, 06:46 AM   #8
56scooter
"TRF" Member

This watch was discontinued once Georges Kearns took over at Breitling. He was of the opinion that the watch did not represent what he had in mind for the image of Breitling. AD's still have them and you can still find them, probably could do just as well as Joma and still get a warranty!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
This watch was discontinued once Georges Kearns took over at Breitling. He was of the opinion that the watch did not represent what he had in mind for the image of Breitling. AD's still have them and you can still find them, probably could do just as well as Joma and still get a warranty!
That's exactly what I read.

Funny, I have a 2018-2019 Breitling catalog, and that watch ( the Skyracer ) is not listed anywhere in it. So, that even further proves that point.

I can't wait to get this watch in, and "dip my toes" in Breitling. Most of my watches are mechanical ( I also ordered a Marathon GSAR that's coming in tomorrow as well ), and I wanted a Quartz piece that I can use as my daily wearer and not worry about anything.

With an 8 year battery life, and a movement of +15 seconds a YEAR, PLUS with it being discontinued, I think this is gonna be an awesome piece. Seems that they only made this watch for not even 2 years, since it was released at Bazel 2017.

Oh, and I called my local AD, and they had the watch for $1850 ( WITHOUT the strap ) and an additional $150 with the strap. Odd how they can just sell the watch with no strap. So $2000 out the door. They said they would work on a price ( they offered me no tax, so $2000 out the door without the 8% additional state sales tax.

Needless to say, I'm sticking to Jomashop for this one.
Old 11 September 2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Whelp, got the Skyracer in today. Must say - I was not super impressed. Lume was't that great at all, and for what that watch costs ( well over $1000 ), I'd much rather save $1200+ and just get a Luminox and be done with it.

It's funny, last week I got in a GSAR Marathon, and it was much more impressed / impressive when unboxing it and seeing it for the first time in the flesh then I was the Breitling. So, I just sent her back to Jomashop for a refund.

Plus the rubber strap on it was "ehhhh" plus you are severly limited on straps.

Not saying it's a BAD watch - its just not for me.
Old 2 October 2019, 06:08 AM   #11
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Did you get any pics?
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 06:58 PM   #12
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Nice one
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote