The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 12 April 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Icon20 My New Arrival: Steinhart Nav B Chrono II

This Fedex package arrived on Wednesday morning (from Germany), after i've placed an order with Steinhart Watches on Saturday.

Opening the package reveals a white box ...

and a 22mm strap with a signed Steinhart buckle (courtesy of Mr. Gunter, thanks! ) This is a handmade true carbon black strap and Steinhart claims that they are one of the first manufacturer to produce it. The back of the strap is made with leather.

Removing the lid off the white box reveals a nice oak wood finished watch box (i didnt even get one with watches retailing many times more ) ...

that houses the Nav B Chrono II with a stainless steel bracelet.

This is what the watch looks like, complete with the tag, wrapping and crystal protective film fresh out of the box.

The watch comes with a solid caseback.

The SS bracelet uses screwed links (solid) with brushed finishing. A quality piece that should hold up well with use. This is very much a tool watch if you like, without the need to worry about smudging up any shiny portions of the bracelet. It should also be relatively easy to maintain. I'm also glad to find that the bracelet is easy on hairy arms, a PIA experience for some badly constructed ones.

Here you can see the push-button release butterfly clasp (hidden type, great for reducing scuffs associated with desk diving).

The watch has a case size of 44mm and comes with an internally coated AR sapphire crystal. The blue hands on a black dial offers a nice contrast. The use of black day/date wheels to match the black dial and the position of '6' and '9' shows the attention to detail used in the design. Another nice touch is the presence of Arabic '3' despite having a day/date aperture.

With a case thickness of 16mm, this watch can be a little chunky on the wrist. It comes with a large (but non obstrusive) Steinhart signed crown. A screwed down crown was not used and its possibly one of the factors for restricting water resistance to only 50m. The upside is the ease of winding, without the need to unscrew and screw the crown each time. I'm getting used to the large crown and its really easy to grip and wind.

Movement:

Beneath the watch is a Swiss ETA 7750 chronograph movement. There is very little slack in the hands when setting time. There's no need to turn the minute hand forward and back to take up the slack. It will synchronise with the seconds hand without any issue. The winding is smooth and setting time, day and date is easy as the crown pulls out with positive stops. Its no doubt aided by having a larger crown. The chrono buttons operate with a positive click as well. The familiar 7750 wobble is noticeably present, along with a high pitched wheeze when the rotor turns. Its a cool experience. The day-date changes, unlike other movements such as the ETA 2824, ETA 2893, etc., does not take place instantaneously. The day-date wheels will begin to rotate at 10:20pm and completes the change by 11:59pm. I've seen some with a big time gap between the two and some only complete the change after 12 midnight. As for the accuracy, its running at +10 secs/day (average) based on my 3-day ownership. I will monitor its performance for a longer period and i'll probably have it regulated later if required.

Lume:

The dial must have a used generous coating of superluminova. It really comes alive in low light surroundings. Window lighting is sufficient to get the lume charged up. This one has the brightest lume among my watches. The sub dials & hands are lumed as well. The lume is still usable 2.5 hours later. It is indeed one of the better examples of a watch using SL lume IMO. Not forgetting, the use of an electric blue lume is way cool!

Initial impression:

I've heard about many positive comments on Steinhart watches but it is only when you get to hold one up close will you be able to truly experience the quality and attention to detail that the watch maker has put in. Fit and finish is up there with many of the other established Swiss makers. The watch feels a little hefty on the wrist but its not to the point of being uncomfortable. The polished bezel and chrono buttons helps to dress this one up a little, without making it too bland or tool-like that can be associated with a full brushed finishing. The dial is clear and legible, which is more than i can say for many other smaller chrono dials. As with any other time pieces however, its not perfect. I noticed that the edge of the lug is a little sharp and it'll be great if a slightly slimmer case is used instead. The watch is running a little faster than what i'm comfortable with but i'll continue to monitor its performance to see if regulation is required. Though its a little fast, its pretty stable. Timing isnt much affected by the position, nor the operation of the chronograph function. That said, i'm very pleased with this one, considering that i did not have to pay an arm and a leg for a quality automatic chronograph time piece.

Specifications:

Case: stainless steel
Diameter: 44 mm
height: ca.16mm
Dial: black NEW date disc in English
Crystal: Sapphire crystal, interior side is anti-reflecting
Bezel: stainless steel polished
Hands: arabic index with super-luminova white
Band lug: 22mm
WaterRes: 50m/ 5 ATM nach DIN
Strap: stainless steel with screwed limbs
Buckle: stainless steel deployant with pusher

Old 12 April 2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Very good looking watch, nice review. Thank you. I like the wooden box as well as the bracelet and the clasp

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
onkyo
Banned

Wow!!!!

Great piece. Big congrats.

Thanks for the great detailed review as well.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2009, 07:13 PM   #4
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Very nice watch my friend. What you've said about the ETA 7750 is absolutely true. I have it on my IWC Top Gun. Flawless movement,spot on time at -1 sec per day.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 12:07 AM   #5
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments gentlemen!

This one will probably be getting all the wrist time for now.
Old 13 April 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very nice watch and presentation.

Are these made by Grovana and badged or are Steinhart now manufacturing?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2009, 10:47 AM   #7
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
very nice review.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Thanks for the comments! I've had the watch regulated for better accuracy. For those interested, u can read the updated review here: http://watchtalkworld.proboards.com/...ay&thread=6790
Old 28 April 2009, 05:26 AM   #9
Gobbi
"TRF" Member

Dear Sys12345,

Can you post pictures of your B-Chrono II with kevlar strap?

Thanks
Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2009, 01:26 PM   #10
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Gobbi,

Due to the hot weather over my end, i have not installed the strap. I'll snap some pics when i have the chance to change to the carbon strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbi View Post
Dear Sys12345,

Can you post pictures of your B-Chrono II with kevlar strap?

Thanks
Old 29 April 2009, 01:41 PM   #11
migboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
very nice watch!!!
migboy is offline   Reply With Quote