The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 November 2011, 06:45 AM   #1
bertberr
"TRF" Member

1680 - could do with some opinions here...

Well, I'll keep this as brief as possible, so two main questions:

I've noticed that I can get a nice original red 1680 for 9-10K USD, albeit the less desirable / valuable mk4/5/6 dial version. Or I can get a really nice white 1680 for 6.5-8.5K USD. These are obviously w/o B&P and both examples are at trusted vintage Rolex dealers.

Which do you guys feel would be the better bet longer term (from a value point of view)? It won't be sold by me, and will hopefully end up on my son's wrist one day, together with the rest of my collection, though if he ever decided to sell it, I'd like to think I bought the one that would appreciate the most over a 30+ year period. And before anybody asks, I have no preference one way or the other from an aesthetic point of view.

Secondly, and this is firmly aimed at current or past 1680 owners, was there ever a time when you regretted buying the 1680 over, say a matte dial 16800 with the quick set date? I don't mean from an aesthetic POV - I'm a sucker for matte plexi's, more a practical one - a lot more twirling to set the date if it hadn't enjoyed any recent wrist time.

Use? I intend using it as a daily wearer, rotating it with my 5513 and 30T2. And as I work in a bike (cycle) shop, it will pick up the odd scuff / scratch, so obviously won't be a safe queen!
bertberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Clay
Banned

First, in regard to appreciation, there's no way of knowing....None of us have a crystal ball...If I had to guess I would say the Red 1680, but again it depends on condition and what you pay for it vs the white 1680...Buy a white cheap enough and that could be worth more percentage-wise in time...
In my opinion, I would forget "value" and I would buy the watch that you like best.....
I have owned both 1680s (Red and White) and 16800's....Both are wonderful watches....
Again, it's personal preference...
Not much help I know but there it is...
Cheers
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 07:20 AM   #3
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
First, in regard to appreciation, there's no way of knowing....None of us have a crystal ball...If I had to guess I would say the Red 1680, but again it depends on condition and what you pay for it vs the white 1680...Buy a white cheap enough and that could be worth more percentage-wise in time...
In my opinion, I would forget "value" and I would buy the watch that you like best.....
I have owned both 1680s (Red and White) and 16800's....Both are wonderful watches....
Again, it's personal preference...
Not much help I know but there it is...
Cheers
X2 Clay!! Pick the one you want. Both pieces if you find the perfect example, I think it's a safe bet whichever one you buy. Both are hard to find in prime condition as they were meant to be worn. ...if you are passing down to your son, maybe ask him which one he prefers to wear.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I believe Rolex is making more white 1680s daily.
Hold up.... listen...
By that I mean , Red ones unsuspecting owners send in to the RSC.

So, I would get a red 1680.

P.S I've heard they now have a service Red Dial, but you get the drift.

Alas, buy what you like.
Old 18 November 2011, 07:36 AM   #5
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

1680 red, silver datewheel, with "swiss" dial and luminova hands.

If I had the money that's the one I would search for.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 07:46 AM   #6
buffy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Well I don´t care about box and pappesr, so 6,5-8,5 for a white is quite alot. compared to 9-10k for a Red.
I whould go for a Red feet first open sixes, because look good!
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 08:00 AM   #7
bertberr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
X2 Clay!! Pick the one you want. Both pieces if you find the perfect example, I think it's a safe bet whichever one you buy. Both are hard to find in prime condition as they were meant to be worn. ...if you are passing down to your son, maybe ask him which one he prefers to wear.
I would, but at three years old, he hasn't quite got his head round Submariner heritage... give it another year or so I suppose I could put a couple of his model cars in front of him, one red & one white, and see which one he reaches for first...

Seriously though, I know what you're all saying - buy the one you like more... but I don't really prefer one over the other, they both look great to me. I'm just trying to imagine what my son would be thinking in 18 years time... "I love this old Sub that dad gave me, but I'm going to have to sell it and re-mortgage the house so I can get that red on my wrist..." !!!

And, the lack of quickset date doesn't seem to bother people, so perhaps I should strike the 16800 off my shortlist.
Old 18 November 2011, 09:22 AM   #8
tuonor
"TRF" Member

I'd vote for the red for collectibility, but could make a strong argument for the 16800 if you are going to wear it frequently and wrench on the bikes at work.

The lack of a quickset date does drive me a little mad -- I never have much extra time getting out the door in the morning and this add'l step sometimes becomes the difference between wearing a vintage or one of the modern pieces that I keep on winders. Also, a sapphire crystal will be alot more durable than acrylic spending its days around all the sharp metal pointy things that make up a bike drivetrain.

While they are relatively cheap today, at some point, I can see the 16800s with matte dials becoming more popular (similar to how the matte triple-6s have such a following). While less distinctive they have the key new school conveniences matched with the familar warmth of a matte dial and tritium.
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 10:43 AM   #9
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
It's hard for me to justify $5K for a few microns of red paint. I understand the attraction, it just does not fit my practicality. If times get hard, i couldn't help but think the difference in value between these watches would shrink.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
cruvon
"TRF" Member

For me the 1680 red is a looker but then I could be biased:). IMHO if you don't mind spending extra, the red in the 1680 makes it a very attractive and unique watch to look at and that's what got me attracted when I started, from a lot of other Rolex choices out there. I am guessing a similar attraction for red will continue amongst a legion of newbie collectors in the future, who as new collectors go more by how good or unique a watch looks overall rather than rarity based on subtle differences, practicality,etc. However as Larry above mentioned, if practicality is put into play amongst other attributes, then the 1680 white or even the 16800 is a great beautiful watch to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7571crop.JPG (196.5 KB, 235 views)

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 11:44 AM   #11
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
I have a white because it was a quality watch ...no issues with lugs etc. Am saving for a red and 1675 . If u have the cash go red.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 12:26 PM   #12
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I went through 2 white 1680 to have finally realized I wanted a red... and I am very pleased with my choice... here she is saying a hello!

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 01:49 PM   #13
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
For me the 1680 red is a looker but then I could be biased:). IMHO if you don't mind spending extra, the red in the 1680 makes it a very attractive and unique watch to look at and that's what got me attracted when I started, from a lot of other Rolex choices out there. I am guessing a similar attraction for red will continue amongst a legion of newbie collectors in the future, who as new collectors go more by how good or unique a watch looks overall rather than rarity based on subtle differences, practicality,etc. However as Larry above mentioned, if practicality is put into play amongst other attributes, then the 1680 white or even the 16800 is a great beautiful watch to have.
That watch may change my mind
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 02:22 PM   #14
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
That watch may change my mind
:), thanks!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 05:19 PM   #15
AG1

I'm on my second 1680 white and I've recently purchased a 1680 red. You may
save some time and headache if you go straight for the red. From a rational point
of view, it's obviously pointless to spend that much on a bit of red paint but there's
just something about it that's quite alluring. Having said that, the white is a really
nice, wearable watch and you can't really go wrong with that either...
AG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 06:02 PM   #16
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperoftime View Post
I believe Rolex is making more white 1680s daily.
Hold up.... listen...
By that I mean , Red ones unsuspecting owners send in to the RSC.

So, I would get a red 1680.
But it would be luminova, correct? So it's safe to say original dials are becoming rare regardless of color.

I'd get the best example that's available and that I could afford regardless of color. You cannot go wrong
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 07:06 PM   #17
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
a good Red is a thing of beauty, any increase in worth is just an added bonus when you consider the many years of service it will provide.....i never tire of looking at mine

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 08:56 PM   #18
bertberr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice and mouth watering pics. It's enough to have convinced me to start my search for a nice original red.

I've already decided that a Mk IV, V or VI would be fine, so long as it is as near 100% original as possible. I'm not concerned with scratches, scrapes, scuffs etc, partly as I'll probably be adding a few more over the coming years, and partly because it means it's less likely to be over polished. I do want a 100% dial though and matching hands. A nice original bezel & bezel insert / pearl, and even a nice 9315 would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Having read the DRSD article on reds what seems like a dozen times, I have a couple of other query's re the dials, but I'll start a new thread specific to this point. Thanks once again for your help thus far.
Old 18 November 2011, 11:38 PM   #19
eparisini
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 FAP
On red 1680 difference in the price range should for a mk 1/2/3 should be near US$11.500/14.000