The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2016, 03:20 AM   #1
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Tudor 79170 Big Block Vs Tudor 79260P

Hello all,

Earlier this year I had the chance to get a Tudor 79260p and I fell in love with it even though it seems like it has lived a difficult life!
Mine is a post Tiger H series example probably at the closing stages of production. It came with the Tudor markings all around. Tudor crown and caseback and the Tudor signed jubilee bracelet with a Tudor clasp.
Being a P means that it has polished lugs and shares the case design with the Daytona of the time.
I had always been in love with the earlier silvery dial with the brushed lugs but this came at a price I could not resist!
My example has the porcelain panda dial with greyish hands and the black anodized tachymeter ring. Definitely an earlier 6263 Daytona look minus the brushed lugs!

A few days later a pre Tiger 79260 popped up with the silver panda dial and Rolex markings on an eBay auction.
I kept an eye on it but at the end it reached a very high price similar to what the Big Blocks have been going for.

I then started thinking that I would rather get my hands on a 79170 rather than an earlier execution of my example.

Looked into the sales corner and Too Old had a nice UK example for sale!

Few days later I had it strapped around my wrist!

This is a B serial, with Rolex markings all around and a full oyster bracelet. The bevels on the lugs are still present and very crisp! A lovely sight!
I contemplated the thought of keeping it on the bracelet, sized it and tried it for a few hours. I have been wearing all my watches in straps and I seemed to take ages to get used to the feeling of the bracelet!
At the end I decided to put it on one of my beloved distressed straps!

My first impression was that it feels really different to my 79260 even though they seem very similar side by side!

The 79170 has the 1 - 12 graduated aluminum turning bezel that can be used to track a second time zone or time different events without engaging the chronograph. A really useful feature, especially when considering the screw down pushers.

I decided to measure them using a digital caliper. The dimensions were very similar with differences on height and diameter less than half a millimeter which can easily be put down to measuring errors.

So even though they are almost identical on paper they feel extremely different. Why is that?

Well, the Big Block has an acrylic crystal, a mate dial and brushed lugs. This gives it a much more toolish feel than the shinny 79260!
As soon as I was reaching towards the crown and the pushers I could swear that the ones in the 79170 where smaller than its youngest brother. They actually are exactly the same size but the curved profile of the 79260 makes it so much easier to reach them, turn them and use them. It feels that the vertical sides of the big block are there to impede or restraint these movements! I also noticed that the crown guards in the big block are much bigger and bulkier, making it easier to reach the crown in the newer model.

Legibility wise, both are are excellent with the hands in both models offering the required contrast! The only disadvantage that I noticed is that the chronograph hand of the 79260 turns to blend it with the black subdials every time it hovers above them and it might take a bit longer to read the elapsed seconds.

So which one would someone choose?
Well the logical mind would probably go for the newer version. The case is rounded, a bit more contemporary, polished and it allows easier access to the crown and the pushers. It might be a bit easier to make it blend in every environment with the right choice of strap.
BUT, the Big Block is such a thing of beauty. The brushed lugs, the crisp chamfers of the case and the way it matches with a distressed strap make it irresistible for me...

Would I let any of the two go?
Well the short answer is no.... They both feel so good that I would never like to be in the position to have to choose between them!

Hope you enjoyed this!
Looking forward to your comments.

Aris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ar.parask13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Well done on both! Love these chronos. These classics will continue to grow in popularity as time goes on.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:28 AM   #3
Thenicknackman
"TRF" Member

Nice to see your examples!

Mine is currently at RSC having a movement service.

Will post pics once its back in my grasp!
Thenicknackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:37 AM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

welcome to the club!
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 04:43 AM   #5
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I always admired the white dials with the "tachy" bezel, sweet watch
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 04:57 AM   #6
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Both are very nice. This a pic of the perfect combo for me. I eventually let it go for a move up. Miss it but it was the right move for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (86.0 KB, 629 views)
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 06:57 AM   #7
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I always admired the white dials with the "tachy" bezel, sweet watch

It is very nice indeed! I am sure that you will get you hands on one of them very soon!
Old 30 May 2016, 06:58 AM   #8
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Both are very nice. This a pic of the perfect combo for me. I eventually let it go for a move up. Miss it but it was the right move for me.

Please let us know of the one that came after!
Old 30 May 2016, 07:09 AM   #9
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.parask13 View Post
Please let us know of the one that came after!

Since you asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2016, 07:51 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Nice write-up!

Big blocks are bigger and heavier, but preferred by many over the newer Prince version. I personally prefer brushed cases, so prefer the 792XX version over the 792XXp as it has a more vintage look IMHO.
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 08:10 AM   #11
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Tudor 79170 Big Block Vs Tudor 79260P

Quote:
Since you asked

Oh this is a beauty...
I always loved the gmt manual wind autavia and the case design. But it was always out of reach. So I decided to go for the next best thing;

Old 30 May 2016, 08:28 AM   #12
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.parask13 View Post
Oh this is a beauty...
I always loved the gmt manual wind autavia and the case design. But it was always out of reach. So I decided to go for the next best thing;

That's very nice, to be clear, I don't say the the Autavia is a better watch because of the current price. I don't really differentiate between watches in my collection based on price. There are many factors for me that determine desirability. I really like the Tudors ( esp the Big Block) but I found myself more and more drawn to the Heuer. I also enjoy the education process when searching for something different. Boy, those modern watch guys really miss out.

Old 30 May 2016, 08:37 AM   #13
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's very nice, to be clear, I don't say the the Autavia is a better watch because of the current price. I don't really differentiate between watches in my collection based on price. There are many factors for me that determine desirability. I really like the Tudors ( esp the Big Block) but I found myself more and more drawn to the Heuer. I also enjoy the education process when searching for something different. Boy, those modern watch guys really miss out.

I could not agree more. I never buy anything without researching it as much as I can. There is so much knowledge out there!
Btw, I am a "newish" watch guy. 29 years old and have been collecting for the last three years!
Trust me I am sure we miss out, but this is where the help of long time collectors really helps!

Aris
Old 30 May 2016, 08:41 AM   #14
lhanddds
Banned

By modern, I mean new watches. Vintage is so much more interesting. Sorry, don't want to change the direction of the thread. Good to have you here.

Old 30 May 2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Great thread, thanks for all the detail. That Big Block is more appealing than the new Daytona C to me. So much character.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 09:01 AM   #16
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By modern, I mean new watches. Vintage is so much more interesting. Sorry, don't want to change the direction of the thread. Good to have you here.

Good to be here! So much knowledge and so may interesting threads!
No worries! It is watch talk! It is always fascinating to start a discussion and just see where it leads! Especially if wonderful watches and interesting stories are involved!
Old 30 May 2016, 09:02 AM   #17
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Great thread, thanks for all the detail. That Big Block is more appealing than the new Daytona C to me. So much character.

I am with you there brother

Old 30 May 2016, 09:03 AM   #18
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Glad you liked it!
The different threads regarding Tudors in the forum really helped and were an inspiration!
Old 30 May 2016, 10:03 AM   #19
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Well done. The white dial is great...love how you are wearing them on leather also!
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 06:17 PM   #20
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's about time you joined the club too
Old 30 May 2016, 06:56 PM   #21
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
It's about time you joined the club too
I know. Came close a few times. I hesitated on a great 94200 last year, full set with interesting paper trail, and it's been hard to find something to match that missed opportunity since then.
Old 30 May 2016, 09:27 PM   #22
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know. Came close a few times. I hesitated on a great 94200 last year, full set with interesting paper trail, and it's been hard to find something to match that missed opportunity since then.
I'd like to see some more of the early 94xxx on the Big Block post I started. They are beautiful pieces. I assume due to the size, they're quite scarce in the Far East?
Old 30 May 2016, 09:46 PM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I'd like to see some more of the early 94xxx on the Big Block post I started. They are beautiful pieces. I assume due to the size, they're quite scarce in the Far East?
Big Blocks are very easy to find in HK, but mostly 791xx.
Old 31 May 2016, 04:19 AM   #24
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

I have also been reading that there is an abundance of them in Japan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2016, 10:43 AM   #25
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
Quote:
X2

Love the pics!
Congrats
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote