The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 January 2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Icon20 Breguet Tradition - Thoughts?

Contemplating adding something different to the collection.

Currently I have a 16750 GMT, 216570 Exp II, 114060 Sub, 79280 Tudor Chrono, and Breitling Emergency.

All sports style tool watches.

I've always been drawn to the Breguet Tradition and am contemplating making a move.

The particular Tradition that I am interested in is the 7027 37MM in Yellow Gold.

Some particulars that I find appealing here are the yellow gold which I find very warm and classic. The 37MM size is oddly enough appealing as well as all of my current watches are 40MM +. I do wear a Suit to work daily and think that the smaller size - under the radar and under the cuff would be nice.

My other concerns are:
Although the 37MM is appealing now that I'm used to a larger watch and I will tire of it quickly.
I'll tire of the watch itself quickly.
Resale is an abomination.

I would sell my 114060 Sub to fund this purchase. I just don't wear the Sub as often as I thought I would.

Thoughts, experiences, comments, etc welcome!
Old 24 January 2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Watchflair

Some photos to help:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2019, 02:06 AM   #3
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I think it is a really interesting reference, and really gorgeous. Would you be going through an AD? You may be able to save some money by going grey or used; that way if you decide to sell you won't take too much of a hit for it. I think with the lug profile it will wear larger than the 37mm suggests, and will hit that sweet spot for a dress watch.

If you've always been drawn to it, I say why not? It would round out the collection nicely with the 5 digit GMT, the Tudor, Breitling, and Explorer.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 03:38 AM   #4
Watchflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I think it is a really interesting reference, and really gorgeous. Would you be going through an AD? You may be able to save some money by going grey or used; that way if you decide to sell you won't take too much of a hit for it. I think with the lug profile it will wear larger than the 37mm suggests, and will hit that sweet spot for a dress watch.

If you've always been drawn to it, I say why not? It would round out the collection nicely with the 5 digit GMT, the Tudor, Breitling, and Explorer.
Yes I would go the pre-owned route with this one as the depreciation hit is significant.
Old 24 January 2019, 04:38 AM   #5
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Oh God. That is splendid!
Old 24 January 2019, 05:37 AM   #6
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Love the Tradition and was looking into getting a 37mm myself (white gold variant).
The previous poster is right, the 37mm wears like a 39mm, and is better proportioned imho. The 40mm was a bit too large for my wrists thanks to those lugs.

But I think it’s a fantastically unique and well designed watch, worthy of any collection.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:56 AM   #7
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Super cool and interesting design and it looks like it punches way above its listed price. I always thought it looked like a $100k+ watch.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #8
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Love the Tradition and was looking into getting a 37mm myself (white gold variant).
The previous poster is right, the 37mm wears like a 39mm, and is better proportioned imho. The 40mm was a bit too large for my wrists thanks to those lugs.

But I think it’s a fantastically unique and well designed watch, worthy of any collection.

7027 is actually 38mm. I measured mine using a digital caliber from bezel to bezel. I’m guessing Breguet reports the “case” size, which is smaller than the bezel because of the sandwich style case. Not to argue about the 1mm difference, but this may explain why it wears larger than a 37mm watch. For my wrist, 6.75”, the reference wears perfect, and it does wear slightly larger than its 38 size.

To OP: What I really like about the reference is that it differentiates from all other “skeleton” or “openwork” models in that it isn’t one - it does not take an existing caliber and then skeletonize it, for lack of a better word, showing hundred of small parts and mini bridges. Instead it put the backside of a traditional Breguet pocket watch and put it on the front dial. The construction of the movement/layout pays homage to the original Breguet design, in a minimalist way showing only the gear train that shows how the power is distributed from the mainspring barrel to the escapement wheel.

The watch also has all kinds of Breguet signatures, assuming you like them that is, including the guilloche dial, Breguet hands, step bridges, shock protection mechanism, star-shaped wheels, coin edge case, lugs, and even the frosted finish on the movement. I have little interest in other modern Breguet models, primarily because of movements, but the Tradition line is just sublime.

And I’m biased as you can see:

liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:44 AM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! But I think I would need to know and whole lot more about, and appreciate, movements to fully enjoy this watch. Maybe someday . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:19 AM   #10
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
7027 is actually 38mm. I measured mine using a Regular digital caliber from bezel to bezel. I’m guessing Breguet reports the “case” size, which is smaller than the bezel because of the sandwich style case. Not to argue about the 1mm difference, but this may explain why it wears larger than a 37mm watch. For my wrist, 6.75”, the reference wears perfect, and it does wear slightly larger than its 38 size.
Ah. Thanks for the info. That does explain why it wears so much larger than the reported 37mm.

I’m also seeing that Breguet only sell the rose gold 7027 now? I assume the WG was discontinued?

Old 24 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #11
Watchflair

Quote:
7027 is actually 38mm. I measured mine using a digital caliber from bezel to bezel. I’m guessing Breguet reports the “case” size, which is smaller than the bezel because of the sandwich style case. Not to argue about the 1mm difference, but this may explain why it wears larger than a 37mm watch. For my wrist, 6.75”, the reference wears perfect, and it does wear slightly larger than its 38 size.

To OP: What I really like about the reference is that it differentiates from all other “skeleton” or “openwork” models in that it isn’t one - it does not take an existing caliber and then skeletonize it, for lack of a better word, showing hundred of small parts and mini bridges. Instead it put the backside of a traditional Breguet pocket watch and put it on the front dial. The construction of the movement/layout pays homage to the original Breguet design, in a minimalist way showing only the gear train that shows how the power is distributed from the mainspring barrel to the escapement wheel.

The watch also has all kinds of Breguet signatures, assuming you like them that is, including the guilloche dial, Breguet hands, step bridges, shock protection mechanism, star-shaped wheels, coin edge case, lugs, and even the frosted finish on the movement. I have little interest in other modern Breguet models, primarily because of movements, but the Tradition line is just sublime.

And I’m biased as you can see:

Thanks This is helpful info. I absolutely love the Breguet signature design cues. There's one for sale reasonably close to me - just need to spend a few minutes with one in the metal to seal the deal.
Old 24 January 2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I really love this watch. It is one of my favorite Breguet and favorite dress watches of all time....
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:14 AM   #13
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Thanks This is helpful info. I absolutely love the Breguet signature design cues. There's one for sale reasonably close to me - just need to spend a few minutes with one in the metal to seal the deal.

Definitely try it out in person if possible. We’re all enablers here . Your impression in the metal is what counts...
Old 24 January 2019, 10:22 AM   #14
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah. Thanks for the info. That does explain why it wears so much larger than the reported 37mm.

I’m also seeing that Breguet only sell the rose gold 7027 now? I assume the WG was discontinued?

Yep Breguet discontinued the WG some time ago (forgot exactly when). The yellow gold has the charm of the original pocket watch movement in brass color. The white gold suits my attire better and therefore the choice. But both are great!
Old 24 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #15
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Always catches my eye and attention at the AD.. I have a thing for showing movements though
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The watch also has all kinds of Breguet signatures, assuming you like them that is, including the guilloche dial, Breguet hands, step bridges, shock protection mechanism, star-shaped wheels, coin edge case, lugs, and even the frosted finish on the movement.
Very well stated. If you like the watch, go for it, as it's both beautiful and unique. It makes for a nice alternative to a traditional dress watch. If you buy it used, most of the depreciation has already occurred so it's not the end of the world if you want to sell it at a later date.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:20 PM   #17
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
The mechanical aspect is definitely appealing, and I could stare at it for hours.

When one tires from looking at the movement, would you want it legible ?

Old 25 January 2019, 03:45 AM   #18
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Great looking watch, I say go for it.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:03 AM   #19
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
The mechanical aspect is definitely appealing, and I could stare at it for hours.

When one tires from looking at the movement, would you want it legible ?

It's actually more legible than you think.

Old 25 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #20
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Philippe Dufour, yes, THE Philippe Dufour, said the Breguet Tradition was delightful. He said it was a watch he wishes he made himself.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #21
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very well stated. I have been following this thread since this is a reference that intrigues me as well (although beyond my means now) and this description really resonates with my views on this time piece.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 08:55 AM   #22
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Very well stated. I have been following this thread since this is a reference that intrigues me as well (although beyond my means now) and this description really resonates with my views on this time piece.

Thanks!

Plus, Breguet (the watchmaker) had profound influence on the watch industry, even a century later. Its just satisfying to own a timepiece that connects the present to the past, and one that is not a homage timepiece with faux patina.

Case in point: One of my grails - Romain Gauthier’s Logical One. Absolutely beautiful to my eyes, in the same spirit as the 7027.

(Image grabbed from web)
Old 25 January 2019, 09:52 AM   #23
themast
"TRF" Member

themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 04:26 AM   #24
Watchflair

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping to find some time in the next couple weeks to go and check one out. It definitely checks all the boxes for me at this point.
Old 1 March 2019, 09:04 AM   #25
Watchflair

Just an update - I pulled the trigger. Had my Tradition 7027 delivered yesterday and this is such a wow piece imho. So mesmerizing.

I did sell two pieces to fund this purchase. I sold my 114060 Submariner and 79289 Tudor Chronograph. I was happy with the sale of these pieces as I made more than I paid on both of them. I also found myself wearing them less and less.

The watch definitely wears larger than the advertised 37mm and all the measuring I’ve done points to it being 38mm.

Really enjoy having a dress piece in the rotation. Something that slides easily under the cuff.

Pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2019, 09:12 AM   #26
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Congrats, that’s an awesome pickup. Any thoughts on choosing this variant over the others?

Old 1 March 2019, 10:30 AM   #27
Watchflair

Quote:
Congrats, that’s an awesome pickup. Any thoughts on choosing this variant over the others?
Thanks - Some things I found appealing. The 7027 in Yellow Good is discontinued - no real shot at these jumping up in value but the lack of availability was appealing.

Size wise I think the 37mm/38mm is perfect and I don't have a small wrist. Really adds to the dress appeal.
Old 1 March 2019, 12:28 PM   #28
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
That’s so awesome. Nice pick up. Gosh there are too many cool watches in this world, and not enough funds.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:08 PM   #29
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
That’s a stunner for sure !

Old 1 March 2019, 03:50 PM   #30
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Fantastic watch. I've always wanted to add a Tradition to the collection, but the resale value always kept me away.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote