The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 January 2019, 12:24 PM   #1
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on JLC and GO

Hi all,

I've been a member for a few years and have enjoyed learning about this crazy hobby! I am at a point in my life were I want to purchase my first "real watch" and celebrate some recent accomplishments. Certainly my first thought was Rolex as I would love to have the SS BLRO. However, I don't want to pay the premium for going grey sellers and likely won't be able to get access to one through an AD given not having any purchase history.

In addition to liking SS sport watches, I also really enjoy the JLC Master Calendar and GO PanoReserve in addition to several other watches from each. That brings me to my questions.

What are your thoughts on JLC and GO? Do you feel like these manufacturers fall into the appropriate category for marking accomplishments?

Is there another manufacturer that I should be looking at in the under $15K price point?

Thanks in advance!
AFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
I don't have any experience with GO, but in my limited time with the JLC Geophysic 1958, I've been very pleased. I love their Master Calendar model also.

Other options within that price point:

- Pre-owned VC.
- Grand Seiko.

What are you looking for, dress, sport, hybrid dress/casual? Another thing to keep in mind is the service interval and service cost which vary across manufacturers (if you buy into the need for routine service, some do not).
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

at sub $15k there are tons of good options. A lot of great Rolex watches in that category, and many other high end brands.

VC was a good suggestion, I have an Overseas that I really like, personally I'm not into GS at all.

JLC has some nice watches, I haven't owned one though. I have a GO Panomaticlunar, and I really like that watch too.

If someone gave me $10k-$15k to spend on one watch, It would probably be difficult for me to not spend it on a Rolex.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:28 AM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

JLC and GO are both great, well-respected brands.

I'd honestly consider JLC a slight notch above Rolex. They might not have the brand recognition or wow your typical non- watch enthusiast the way a Rolex does, but they produce great movements and complications at a reasonable value.

If your budget is under $15k, and you are looking for a sport-style watch, I urge you to take advantage of the current watch environment. Forgo the wait-listed, trading far above MSRP Rolex, AP or Pateks. There are plenty of brands that offer great value, especially if you are willing to go in the grey market.

Blancpain: Fifty fathoms or Bathyscaphe
H.Moser: new stainless steel dive watch just released at SIHH
VC: Overseas
Breguet: Marine

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I've owned a couple of JLCs in the past. Had a Reverso and Tribute to DeepSea. Both great watches. I've never had a GO but I prefer the aesthetics of the JLC over the Go.

I would suggest the previous version of the VC Overseas Chrono. Fits your budget and excellent watch.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:35 PM   #6
themast
"TRF" Member

Granted that it is difficult to make generalizations, I would put JLC above GO in terms of history and prestige, on the same level in terms of technical ingenuity, and a step below in the finishing quality/aesthetics for the lower end models. Aesthetics is personal and you can judge for yourself which models you like the most.

Regarding the accomplishment side of things it is all relative and ultimately these are objects to which you can assign the value that you want. I don’t see how a JLC, a GO, or anything else could not mark an accomplishment.

As for GO, market is a bit soft (based on my observations) and you can have some great deals on the used market as noted in the thread below. However, I could understand if going the pre-owned way would destroy the accomplishment concept for you.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=649087
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:05 PM   #7
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasa View Post
I don't have any experience with GO, but in my limited time with the JLC Geophysic 1958, I've been very pleased. I love their Master Calendar model also.

Other options within that price point:

- Pre-owned VC.
- Grand Seiko.

What are you looking for, dress, sport, hybrid dress/casual? Another thing to keep in mind is the service interval and service cost which vary across manufacturers (if you buy into the need for routine service, some do not).
I have been looking at the idea of getting a pre-owned VC Overseas. I love obviously the history of the brand and its status in the world of watches. It seems a used piece is a great value.

In terms of what I'm looking for, I would say something that can be a bit of a hybrid. I'm definitely not a dressy person as the majority of times you can find me in a nice pair of jeans, boots and v-neck. But I occasionally have the need to throw on a collared shirt and sport coat. So being able to do both would be a plus.
Old 23 January 2019, 03:09 PM   #8
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Granted that it is difficult to make generalizations, I would put JLC above GO in terms of history and prestige, on the same level in terms of technical ingenuity, and a step below in the finishing quality/aesthetics for the lower end models. Aesthetics is personal and you can judge for yourself which models you like the most.

Regarding the accomplishment side of things it is all relative and ultimately these are objects to which you can assign the value that you want. I don’t see how a JLC, a GO, or anything else could not mark an accomplishment.

As for GO, market is a bit soft (based on my observations) and you can have some great deals on the used market as noted in the thread below. However, I could understand if going the pre-owned way would destroy the accomplishment concept for you.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=649087
Thank you for your comments and sharing the thread. Yes, I do like the idea of new for this occasion but for the right piece in great condition I would consider used. I've noticed that for GO right now you can get a pretty good discount going grey which is appealing. You can get quite a bit of watch for the value.
Old 23 January 2019, 03:10 PM   #9
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I've owned a couple of JLCs in the past. Had a Reverso and Tribute to DeepSea. Both great watches. I've never had a GO but I prefer the aesthetics of the JLC over the Go.

I would suggest the previous version of the VC Overseas Chrono. Fits your budget and excellent watch.
What was your opinion on your JLC's? Were you happy with the finishing and the quality?
Old 23 January 2019, 03:13 PM   #10
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
at sub $15k there are tons of good options. A lot of great Rolex watches in that category, and many other high end brands.

VC was a good suggestion, I have an Overseas that I really like, personally I'm not into GS at all.

JLC has some nice watches, I haven't owned one though. I have a GO Panomaticlunar, and I really like that watch too.

If someone gave me $10k-$15k to spend on one watch, It would probably be difficult for me to not spend it on a Rolex.
Yes, I am honestly struggling with your exact comment of it would be hard to not spend the money on a Rolex. It seems like such an obvious choice and I do love the brand and the watches. I just wonder if doing something a little out of the ordinary might be a better choice as a first real watch?? Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the PanomaticLunar? Does it work well both for dress and casual? I would imagine that its great for more dressy occasions but what about casual - meaning jeans and a t-shirt?
Old 23 January 2019, 10:56 PM   #11
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFlint View Post
Yes, I am honestly struggling with your exact comment of it would be hard to not spend the money on a Rolex. It seems like such an obvious choice and I do love the brand and the watches. I just wonder if doing something a little out of the ordinary might be a better choice as a first real watch?? Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the PanomaticLunar? Does it work well both for dress and casual? I would imagine that its great for more dressy occasions but what about casual - meaning jeans and a t-shirt?
Since I also own one I will give you my (unsolicited!) perspective.
I keep mine on the leather strap and in my mind it is at its best in business casual type attire (which for me can also mean a pair of nice jeans with a jacket). It works well also in formal situations, although it is a bit tall on the wrist and therefore in my mind it always gives a bit more of a sporty twist (not a negative for me).
I never wear it with shorts and t-shirts, also because when it is hot I prefer the metal bracelet and in general I have other pieces that work better for me in those situations.

Here are some examples

IMG_20160521_084336 - Copy.jpg

This is on a rubber strap that does not belong to the watch!
IMG_0314.jpg

image1.JPG
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 11:39 PM   #12
dmb359

Quote:

I agree with what themast said above.

I don't consider it too dressy, probably because of the thickness more than anything. Which is good, I don't really like dressy watches, and I almost never dress up. I have the gray dial version of the panomaticlunar (which is my favorite of the color options) and so far I have not taken it off the leather strap. It's a cool and unique watch, and the lunar version was my favorite of the different dials.

I think it works just fine dressed down in casual clothes, which is how I mostly am. I will say though, when I'm going casual, I tend to favor grabbing one of my Rolex watches on a bracelet more then the GO, although I do rotate through them all, and all do get wrist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (78.1 KB, 216 views)
Old 24 January 2019, 12:47 AM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Have owned four JLCs, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What was your opinion on your JLC's? Were you happy with the finishing and the quality?
I was happy with the finishing/quality. You get good bang for your buck especially if bought pre-owned.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:47 AM   #15
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
In general, I like both of these brands, and they represent fantastic value, especially in the sub 15K mark.

You can get a JLC steel perpetual calendar for like 13-14K used. I do find JLC's a bit bland, so it's hard for me to fall in love with them.

Hence, like (especially in comparison to the field), but don't love.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:10 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your recent accomplishments. I think it's great that you want to celebrate them by purchasing a fine timepiece. As for what watch to get, I think you need to decide if you want a sports watch on a bracelet or a dressy watch on a strap. Consider what you wear most often but also when you want to wear the watch. There's nothing wrong with buying a special piece that you only wear once a week or even once a month, although it may make more sense to buy something that you'll wear most days. Do you currently own any watches?

Regardless, if you want a sports watch, Rolex is hard to beat, although these days, as you know, even the semi-desirable sports models are very hard to come by unless you're willing to go gray and spend a hefty premium. If you don't want to pay the premium, and I don't blame you if you don't, as I'm not willing to either, don't overlook Omega and Breitling, both of which make excellent watches that are just as good or nearly as good as Rolex for far less money and they are easily available. Still, only buy what sings to you.

If, however, you do want a dressy piece under $15,000 and want some complications, JLC and GO are my two top choices and both offer superb value. JLC is known as "the watchmaker's watchmaker" because they've invented far more movements than any house and their movements have been used in many brands' watches. Their top of the line watches are just as impressive as those from PP, FPJ, VC, and ALS but even JLC's entry level pieces are nicely made and are finished far above anything Rolex makes. GO is an excellent brand as well with a German aesthetic and while they don't have JLC's library of movements, their finishing is a bit better as far as standard watches go.

If I were you, I would select whichever watch you like best. For what it's worth, my favorites from JLC include the Master Calendar, the Master Ultra-Thin Moon, and the Reverso line (all in either steel or gold) while my favorite GO is the Panomatic Lunar in steel. I would advise you to go grey or to shop around at various ADs and see if they can get close to grey prices, which they usually can if you are serious and then you get the whole AD experience. Of course pre-owned will save you even more if you want to go that route.

Another thing to consider is that a dressy watch on a strap is easier to dress down than a sporty watch on a bracelet is to dress up. While I personally probably wouldn't wear a dressy watch with shorts and a t-shirt, they go perfectly fine with jeans and a polo or untucked button-down shirt, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you wear athletic wear most days.

A final thing to consider if you're interested in a dress watch is going for a time only watch in precious metal from a top brand like A. Lange and Sohne or a Vacheron Constantin. While watches in this price range will be the brands' entry-level models, they are finished extremely well and although you'll be sacrificing complications, you'll gain superior finishing. Regardless, good luck in your search, as the pursuit is half the fun.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #17
MTBer
"TRF" Member

I think a JLC or GO would be a perfect watch to mark an accomplishment. They don’t do as well as SS sports Rolexes in the secondary market, so I say buy a watch you’d be less likely to want to sell anyway given the special attachment.

Buy the Rolex whenever funds and availability permits. If you decide to flip it at some point, you ostensibly won’t be as attached to it, and you’ll do better reselling anyway.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 02:54 AM   #18
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Since I also own one I will give you my (unsolicited!) perspective.
I keep mine on the leather strap and in my mind it is at its best in business casual type attire (which for me can also mean a pair of nice jeans with a jacket). It works well also in formal situations, although it is a bit tall on the wrist and therefore in my mind it always gives a bit more of a sporty twist (not a negative for me).
I never wear it with shorts and t-shirts, also because when it is hot I prefer the metal bracelet and in general I have other pieces that work better for me in those situations.

Here are some examples

Attachment 1014680

This is on a rubber strap that does not belong to the watch!
Attachment 1014681

Attachment 1014682
That's a great looking watch. I've never seen it before on rubber and it looks pretty good on that. Thank you for sharing.
Old 26 January 2019, 02:55 AM   #19
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
I agree with what themast said above.

I don't consider it too dressy, probably because of the thickness more than anything. Which is good, I don't really like dressy watches, and I almost never dress up. I have the gray dial version of the panomaticlunar (which is my favorite of the color options) and so far I have not taken it off the leather strap. It's a cool and unique watch, and the lunar version was my favorite of the different dials.

I think it works just fine dressed down in casual clothes, which is how I mostly am. I will say though, when I'm going casual, I tend to favor grabbing one of my Rolex watches on a bracelet more then the GO, although I do rotate through them all, and all do get wrist time.
Its always hard to tell in pictures what the gray color is actually like in person. Is it a darker or lighting gray?
Old 26 January 2019, 02:59 AM   #20
dmb359

Quote:
Its always hard to tell in pictures what the gray color is actually like in person. Is it a darker or lighting gray?
I would say its more of a mid-darkness gray, closer to dark than light. Not sure how to describe it. It certainly isn't really light, but you'd never confuse it for black, it isn't that dark.
Old 26 January 2019, 03:00 AM   #21
AFlint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Congratulations on your recent accomplishments. I think it's great that you want to celebrate them by purchasing a fine timepiece. As for what watch to get, I think you need to decide if you want a sports watch on a bracelet or a dressy watch on a strap. Consider what you wear most often but also when you want to wear the watch. There's nothing wrong with buying a special piece that you only wear once a week or even once a month, although it may make more sense to buy something that you'll wear most days. Do you currently own any watches?

Regardless, if you want a sports watch, Rolex is hard to beat, although these days, as you know, even the semi-desirable sports models are very hard to come by unless you're willing to go gray and spend a hefty premium. If you don't want to pay the premium, and I don't blame you if you don't, as I'm not willing to either, don't overlook Omega and Breitling, both of which make excellent watches that are just as good or nearly as good as Rolex for far less money and they are easily available. Still, only buy what sings to you.

If, however, you do want a dressy piece under $15,000 and want some complications, JLC and GO are my two top choices and both offer superb value. JLC is known as "the watchmaker's watchmaker" because they've invented far more movements than any house and their movements have been used in many brands' watches. Their top of the line watches are just as impressive as those from PP, FPJ, VC, and ALS but even JLC's entry level pieces are nicely made and are finished far above anything Rolex makes. GO is an excellent brand as well with a German aesthetic and while they don't have JLC's library of movements, their finishing is a bit better as far as standard watches go.

If I were you, I would select whichever watch you like best. For what it's worth, my favorites from JLC include the Master Calendar, the Master Ultra-Thin Moon, and the Reverso line (all in either steel or gold) while my favorite GO is the Panomatic Lunar in steel. I would advise you to go grey or to shop around at various ADs and see if they can get close to grey prices, which they usually can if you are serious and then you get the whole AD experience. Of course pre-owned will save you even more if you want to go that route.

Another thing to consider is that a dressy watch on a strap is easier to dress down than a sporty watch on a bracelet is to dress up. While I personally probably wouldn't wear a dressy watch with shorts and a t-shirt, they go perfectly fine with jeans and a polo or untucked button-down shirt, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you wear athletic wear most days.

A final thing to consider if you're interested in a dress watch is going for a time only watch in precious metal from a top brand like A. Lange and Sohne or a Vacheron Constantin. While watches in this price range will be the brands' entry-level models, they are finished extremely well and although you'll be sacrificing complications, you'll gain superior finishing. Regardless, good luck in your search, as the pursuit is half the fun.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such great information. I really enjoyed the comment of its easier to dress down a watch than it is to dress one up. So true and great push in a direction.

I do love ALS and VC simple dress watches but I fear that I just wouldn't wear them that much and given this is a first "real watch" for me I just couldn't spend that amount of money to not wear it that often.

Right now for me, I think if I were going to have a top two right now it would be between Rolex and JLC Master Calendar.
Old 26 January 2019, 04:29 AM   #22
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

The new VC Overseas, pre-owned, is getting close to your budget, at least for the automatic (or three hand) model. If you get a full kit it comes with bracelet, leather and rubber - quick change system that works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-rubber.JPG (89.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg VC-side-gator-m.JPG (108.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg VC-table-br.JPG (99.2 KB, 112 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:52 AM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond with such great information. I really enjoyed the comment of its easier to dress down a watch than it is to dress one up. So true and great push in a direction.

I do love ALS and VC simple dress watches but I fear that I just wouldn't wear them that much and given this is a first "real watch" for me I just couldn't spend that amount of money to not wear it that often.

Right now for me, I think if I were going to have a top two right now it would be between Rolex and JLC Master Calendar.
The JLC Master Calendar is one of my favorite looking watches and punches way above its weight in terms of looks, complications, and quality. On the other hand, Rolex makes my favorite sports watches. Ideally, one would acquire both in time.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote