The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2019, 10:02 PM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Do you want the watch or do you want to hunt the watch. Sometimes there is a lot of fun to be had in trying to find the watch you want at a dealer that is acceptable to you. If you want the watch then contact DavidSW and tell him what you want and discuss with him new vs slightly pre-owned and the prices. David will offer you his opinion and you will have the ability to choose. Pay and the watch will be to you the next morning by 1030 and then you can get on with wearing and enjoying the watch. As far as building a relationship with an AD over buying a moderately priced Rolex you are a slight step forward from never having purchased before but you will need to spend a lot more money with them and a lot more time in the store building relationships. Good luck and go get your watch.

Last edited by 1William; 14 February 2019 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:13 AM   #32
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
I think that route qualifies as a "false economy" in light of the many posts here regarding people who have been asked to purchase watches they don't want in order to get what they do want.
Not necessarily so. There are a lot of AD horror stories here, but in reality, I would (and do) take most of what I read on here with a grain of salt. Because the truth is that guys are not happy b/c they can't get what they want right now. And that's understandable...these are frustrating times.There are good, honest AD's out there. Just as there are good and honest sellers on this forum.

Now, to the OP's question. My thought is to start looking around and testing the waters with who is worthy of your business. Visit some AD's and talk to some of the trusted sellers on this board. See where that all leads. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:28 AM   #33
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I'd be patient and go new. It's a fun experience for sure and you know the watch is 100% yours for every memory you make. Plus, prices aren't any different at this point.
Old 15 February 2019, 01:28 AM   #34
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblewis View Post
I've decided to make the Submariner my first Rolex purchase.

I think being the first owner of my first Rolex holds some serious value, as does the experience picking it up from the AD. But also, immediate gratification.

Would love to hear some thoughts!
Good choice.

My thoughts: the "AD experience" is not worth paying a premium, and you can try to build a "relationship" with them, but unless it's the owner or a long-time manager of the store, be prepared to lose that relationship when the salesman bolts for something better/bigger/shinier/newer.

That said, with the market on the subs as it is now, there really is no premium for buying new at retail, so you may as well do it the right way.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:31 AM   #35
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Sub - New (wait) vs. Used (immediate gratification)

Wait for new is my vote. If it was 5 years ago where you could find a LNIB for 1k less than msrp I’d say go that route. Now greys are charging msrp for worn watches with warranty cards dated 2 years ago, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:29 AM   #36
Swimmer0
"TRF" Member

def. and always AD
Swimmer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:57 AM   #37
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
I would go new from an AD. There is just something about going into the store and having them bring out the watch.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:09 AM   #38
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Buy new from AD! That's what I did. Won't ever have a first Rolex again... the wait probably won't be as long as you think.

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:14 AM   #39
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
It's always preferable to buy new from an AD however, if you want to buy a gently used model from a trusted reseller, I see nothing wrong with that.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:29 AM   #40
bblewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Good choice.

My thoughts: the "AD experience" is not worth paying a premium, and you can try to build a "relationship" with them, but unless it's the owner or a long-time manager of the store, be prepared to lose that relationship when the salesman bolts for something better/bigger/shinier/newer.

That said, with the market on the subs as it is now, there really is no premium for buying new at retail, so you may as well do it the right way.

Thanks everyone for weighing in! The market is crazy. I'd definitely be more inclined to go used if I wasn't paying a premium to buy someone else's watch. Also can't bring myself to pay the $1k premium for a BNIB from a flipper. Of course with California taxes the way they are, paying over MSRP isn't terrible...

One trend is certain if I do decide to go the Trusted Seller route, DSW seems like a good place to start! I'll do some hunting for now, but we will see if I can hold out!
bblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:37 AM   #41
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

AD is the best way to go, be patient and wait...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:40 AM   #42
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Would definitely go with the AD here especially since you're already on the list to get one!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:50 AM   #43
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've been both routes and don't understand the fascination with AD's or the experience. It sure isn't worth thousands to me. If you can get a sub at msrp quickly, then it's worth it from the AD since they are the best deal right now.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:43 AM   #44
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Why don't you at least wait until Basel in a few weeks? They might announce an updated movement or refreshed design.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:43 AM   #45
bblewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Good choice.

Agreed, and really feels wrong to a buy a used watch over MSRP. Or a new one at $1k over MSRP. Although the California sales tax makes that less painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Why don't you at least wait until Basel in a few weeks? They might announce an updated movement or refreshed design.
The announcement, plus the waitlist without having status at an AD is probably a long wait. Maybe other folks will pass for that reason and I'll shoot up the list though!
Old 15 February 2019, 06:34 AM   #46
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Blancpain fifty fathoms gold chrono(-55%) and GS SBGE20 ( -28% )from David SW
IWC Pilot doppel chrono (-40% ) from The Golden Swan
Blancpain steel FF on bracelet (-40%) from WatchUwant ( pre Watchbox)
Pam214 (-50%) and IWC 3717(-40%) from I think, Drster.

All have been indistinguishable from new, complete with all boxes and papers etc. I've posted pics here and there on the forums.
Very informative, thanks a lot for sharing your buying experience
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #47
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
Buy from your AD . . . build a relationship with them . . . you're gonna want more Rolex watches.
agree.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #48
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
New from an AD.

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:49 AM   #49
jimboslice
"TRF" Member

Go new, since the prices on the secondary markets right now are pretty high you won't really be saving much if you buy used if at all.
jimboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:24 AM   #50
Trepang
"TRF" Member

Im not very patient. I called every AD in my area and beyond (Mid Atlantic) - no one had a Sub Date in stock. None knew when they would have one in stock. Most had lengthy waiting lists. Most would not add new names to their lengthy wait lists. Essentially I could not buy one from an AD.

I found a like BNIB Sub Date from DavidSW. As far as I am concerned it is brand new. I realize the purists considered it used since I was not the individual who bought it from the AD but it still had the protective plastic ring on it, all the protective plastic, boxes, hang tags, warranty card and booklet.

Yes I paid more than the official Rolex list price posted on their website but I had it on my wrist within 24 hours of wiring David the funds and that is worth something to me.
Trepang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:49 AM   #51
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

New becomes used as soon as you wear it.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:04 PM   #52
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Wait. It means a lot to me to know where MY watch has been. Buy it new, take the stickers off yourself and make it yours for life.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:35 AM   #53
bblewis
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts. Especially the recommendation to check out DavidSW. Seems like a good seller should I go the slightly used route. 114060 is well priced there and I imagine will get tempting as the wait builds!
Old 16 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #54
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
First one I would but new, not necessarily from an AD, but I would want to be the first owner.
True, it makes it feel like “your” watch. But if you intend to flip watch after watch it is not smart to buy new every time.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:49 AM   #55
iluvrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I would go new through AD. The sub is still a watch that is relatively not as tough to get (unlike a Pepsi or Daytona where the wait is years +). And as a first Rolex, I think going through the process would be a great experience. Good luck!
iluvrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:24 AM   #56
juani
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,126613LB,
Go the AD route, got mine on Tuesday and i only had to wait 3 weeks for it17CA6C52-CEB8-43D0-ABD8-41E8C27F0728.jpeg👍
juani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:33 AM   #57
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The first one should be brand new. This is just my opinion. Someday you might be buying a platinum Patek but it still won't feel as sweet as that first high end luxury piece. I've bought numerous Rolex, Panerai, Omega, and IWC watches and none come close to the joy that my first Submariner Date gave me.

Once you get that first one, you'll be over it and buying used is perfectly fine. I've purchased several used watches from David SW and I could barely tell.

I think a 114060 is a perfect first Rolex. They aren't too hard to get from ADs. I can't imagine the wait being more than a few weeks to a month or so. Everything is up in price on the secondary market. I don't think the 114060 has been hit nearly as hard as the LV, BLNR, BLRO, etc. If you want it this week, you'll likely pay a premium but not a severe one.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:29 AM   #58
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
You can get NIB from a trusted seller and avoid the AD nonsense. That would be my choice.
Sound advice^
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:10 AM   #59
Astro_Train
Banned

Watch: 116610
two ways I see it based on the fact that you already have other watches..

The mark up on ND Subs isn't crazy like other models and lots of them for sale from trusted sellers here... so you aren't paying that much more for it.

On the other hand, since it is a ND Sub the wait should not be that long from an AD.

The pros to buying from an AD (some of these have already been mentioned)

You are the FIRST owner.
You build rep with an AD.
Warranty starts from day you purchase it.

Cons:
Only one I really see here is just having to wait..

Good luck.. if I were you, I would wait. I waited about 3 months for mine but I wanted a 116610 so those can be take a little longer but depends on the AD of course.
Astro_Train is offline   Reply With Quote