The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 05:23 PM   #1
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
WG Rolex Sports Watches. Why? Genuine question

Firstly being a newbie, forgive my question if it seems stupid.

Following a lot of threads on the forum and some great stuff on here. Really enjoying it.

My question is, there seems to be a lot of folk on about WG Sports watches. Never having tried one on, whats the difference to SS. Apart from the material of course.

To my untrained (Newbie) eye and please excuse this, they seem the same, both look like steel to me. Maybe a bit more shiny?

In the flesh is that true? Does the WG have some sort of presence that i am missing. Or is it in the knowledge that its something superior upon the wrist?

To me a sports watch is an everyday wear, don't really care if it gets marked, its doing its job. (Mind i did end up with a gash in my leg, diving with my New Sub on back in the day. Trying to protect it from bashing off a dockside wall in the swell while trying to grab a ladder) Not saying i don't have a cheaper back up for stuff now, that i know will result in my Rolex getting hammered.

I would be terrified of damaging a watch that is so expensive, is the WG more prone to damage being of a softer metal?
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:09 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the difference is in the details.

Its like saying what's the difference between a Rolex and a Tudor. On the surface they are very similar. Look closer and that's where the money goes.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:13 PM   #3
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i just got a smurf in jan of this year. coming from wearing a hulk at the time.

it looks quite different in different light but doesn't look like steel really. slight yellow to it (a hue only though).

the weight is very significant.

when i first got it i had that usual reaction when you've bought online, "it is so small". and not a big deal. just a sub. but then the blue dial got me and the lettering. something eye catching about it because of the dial somehow. also frog-eye seems to be more magnified. then the colour, the way the blue goes so lovely with the material itself and suddenly it has you in its thrall.

the glidelock and the weight of a pm watch are a natural fit.

it feels special somehow and maybe more importantly it actually makes me feel special (because of that). i took it off for an insurance valuation and missed it dearly.

to some degree for me it takes a perfect watch (sub on bracelet with ceramic and date complication) and then makes it special as well with the gold the weight and the blue. and all together it is a watch that is hard to beat i think. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=590498

good luck with it!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:03 PM   #4
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

I do like the blue dial combination , i must admit.

I will have to try one in the AD next time i see one.
Old 16 February 2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
It's not a silly question, until you see and wear one in the flesh.

The heft / weight of a white gold watch is fairly substantial and you can certainly tell when wearing it that it is not an SS watch.

I tried the 116619 WG Sub and 116519LN and it's hard to explain but they are feel good watches. Wearing a nice watch is about how it makes you feel, not anyone else. Every day that you wear a good/PM watch (imo) is a slightly better day.

The detail and finish of Rolex PM watch is true quality. If you want detail then yes the WG Sub is more shiny with a slight copper tint, the WG Daytona has even more of a copper tint.

For example this 116519LN below you can clearly see the gold tint, if you saw it in the flesh, never mind this photo I think you'd know it was not SS.

PMWG.jpg
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:41 PM   #6
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Lets think about jewelry, why do people wear white gold? Why not just wear silver or better yet stainless steal?
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
Lets think about jewelry, why do people wear white gold? Why not just wear silver or better yet stainless steal?
depends on if you are wearing it for you or for the benefit of others i suppose.

Why wear a 50k stainless steel patek no one notices vs a 35k yellow gold rolex everyone notices ?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 February 2019, 09:06 PM   #8
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really a jewelry guy, hence the question i suppose. But see the link you mention.
Old 16 February 2019, 09:39 PM   #9
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Wg sports models are special due to the subtle yg tone, the weight, the fact that it’s a pm, and the unique dial/bezel colors. It’s also nice to wear something that is luxurious but not flashy like a yg model.

You have to try it on in person to get a real sense of whether it is for you or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:45 PM   #10
kzm40
"TRF" Member

The weight diference is actually massive, almost double, and yes also far more prone to scratching.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:52 PM   #11
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
bisonhead are you saying you aren't a jewellery guy? i'm not too sure about that my friend since we are on a watch forum. watches, maybe especially ones on bracelets of metal, are most certainly jewellery. the topic (and various points of view on it) is extremely well covered in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrO1fx7l0Yc

a wg version of the sub just makes it a bit more special. and no less usable. it's nice!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:11 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Put one on, report back
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:16 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Put one one, report back
and its as simple as that
Old 16 February 2019, 10:17 PM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Better yet, why Platinum? For the chronic WIS, the differences are obvious. Wearing a PM piece feels difference and opens the doors to pieces that aren't available in SS. Some are really beautiful and desirable. Why drive a Porsche when one could drive a VW? They both serve the same purpose don't they? Or turn it around, why drive a 5 series beemer with a 4 banger when one could drive a hot rod mini. Taste and function and personal choice all play a roll.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:26 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post

To me a sports watch is an everyday wear, don't really care if it gets marked, its doing its job.
Well if that's true then we should never see a thread about someone crying that they've scratched their watch, should we? Or, how to get rid of said scratch.

I'd go so far as to say that if that was in fact the definition of a sports watch, then Rolex doesn't even make one. IMO, of course.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:39 PM   #16
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Personally I like WG and platinum since they are what you'd call stealth wealth. Show Platona to anyone and they think it is the usual steel watch. Show it to watch guys and they immediately know what you have. Same reason as I'm into supersedans. You could buy an old Lambo for the price of new M5 and grab all the attention, or you can get a car that looks like a usual 5 series to most, but a car guy knows what it's packing. You can get a YG Sub and everyone will notice it. Or you can get a WG Pepsi with a blue dial that will not be noticeable to anyone, but the watch enthusiast. At the the same time it steel feels like a gold watch on the wrist with all the associated advantages such as heft.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:40 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
depends on if you are wearing it for you or for the benefit of others i suppose.

Why wear a 50k stainless steel patek no one notices vs a 35k yellow gold rolex everyone notices ?
What’s a Patek
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:45 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Personally I like WG and platinum since they are what you'd call stealth wealth. Show Platona to anyone and they think it is the usual steel watch. Show it to watch guys and they immediately know what you have. Same reason as I'm into supersedans. You could buy an old Lambo for the price of new M5 and grab all the attention, or you can get a car that looks like a usual 5 series to most, but a car guy knows what it's packing. You can get a YG Sub and everyone will notice it. Or you can get a WG Pepsi with a blue dial that will not be noticeable to anyone, but the watch enthusiast. At the the same time it steel feels like a gold watch on the wrist with all the associated advantages such as heft.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:46 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
What’s a Patek
and that right there is the response i get 99 % of the time when someone says "what kind of watch is that" just how i like it
Old 16 February 2019, 11:59 PM   #20
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Silver takes more maintenance generally and softer.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 12:01 AM   #21
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Buy your wife SS bracelet, if you can find one, and get back to me. Most women I know don't bother to set the time on the Rolex. It is truly jewelry for many.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 12:41 AM   #22
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Wg sports models are special due to the subtle yg tone, the weight, the fact that it’s a pm, and the unique dial/bezel colors. It’s also nice to wear something that is luxurious but not flashy like a yg model.

You have to try it on in person to get a real sense of whether it is for you or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:31 AM   #23
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT

I purchased a new Smurf last month! It’s an awesome watch!
Pics don’t do it justice. Needs to be in the sun!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:23 AM   #24
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
Once you own and really wear a WG Rolex, there is no substitute. I am fortunate to own a Smurf and a BLNR. The BLNR is awesome but the 116617 looks and feels like another level piece.

I can see bundling/trading my SS pieces to get my hands on a WG BLRO.

Put one on your wrist and you’ll understand.

Rolex 116619LB, 116719 BLRO
Panerai Pam 422, Pam 90
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:34 AM   #25
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It's not what they see/know, it's what YOU know you have. Not to mention the usually special dials that come on WG that set it apart...
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:41 AM   #26
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
WG has a distinct feel compared to SS. Some people love it, some don't care, some people have never even thought twice about it. All things equal I prefer the feel of WG, but not enough to make me lay out the big bucks. for me it comes down to the conjuration and detail options (dials, strap options, etc).

In this case... WG all the way,

In this case I'm more than happy with SS.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:54 AM   #27
rodo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the difference is in the details.

Its like saying what's the difference between a Rolex and a Tudor. On the surface they are very similar. Look closer and that's where the money goes.
What might those details be?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:57 AM   #28
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
By your rationale, what’s the difference between a ss Rolex and a Seiko dive watch? Both are waterproof and tell time....
Old 25 February 2019, 07:20 AM   #29
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Put one on, report back
Exactly!
Old 25 February 2019, 08:47 AM   #30
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Keep in mind that Rolex white gold ("grey gold") isn't white gold as we know it to be with other jewelry and watches.

So if you have any interest and have the means, certainly try it out. I doubt you'll go back to SS!
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote