The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Awblazen
"TRF" Member

Day Date President vs Date Just

Hey Rolex Fans,

I'm a new member here, but I've been searching for my first luxury watch for about 2 years and this forum has been very valuable. I could use your help.

I have two bosses that I report to in a finance boutique that I work for and both have Rolex DateJust watch models that they bought from ADs.

I've always been a fan of buying pre-owned to save money and have a budget of roughly $8,000. This allows me to buy a Rolex Datejust 116234 (white gold, fluted bezel, blue dial) or a DayDate 18038 from (from mid-80, yellow gold, blue dial with a leather Rolex bracelet). The mid-80s DayDates with Presidents bracelets are out of my price range and much too flashy for my personal style.

Topics of conversation include:

1) Which model and reference do you prefer and why does it suit you best?

2) Between the two, what's the difference in service costs (or, how much more cost and more often do DayDates need to be serviced)?

3) I never take off my watch. Can I wear a yellow gold day date while sleeping, tennis, golf, etc.?

4) By reading this forum, I now think I understand why the Rolex DayDate without a President Band is less expensive than expected - I assume people buy these watches pre-owned for the President band (which sells for $15k brand new from Rolex), then sell the watch with a leather band. In M&A, this is a carve-out strategy. Is this what is happening or am I reading too much into it? I personally prefer leather, as it tones down the look, but I'm interested in what you guys think.

5) Do you think it's an issue to wear a DayDate when my superiors wear DateJusts?

If you want to offer me advice, please find a picture of my hairy wrist and some AD watches I was testing.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1035 (1).jpg (79.7 KB, 1057 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1038 (1).jpg (90.5 KB, 1055 views)
Awblazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
It's your money. Buy what you like. I would go for a preowned DJ over a 1980's Day-Date.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:49 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

I am a little biased. Love my 18038

Old 16 February 2019, 11:00 AM   #4
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
For a daily wearer, especially if it’s going to be your only watch for a while, IMO seems that a SS DJ would serve you better than a PM DD.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Dr Watches
Banned

A Day-Date isn't a "President" without the bracelet. I'd go with a used DJ.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:12 PM   #6
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
You should be able to get a new 116234 just like you want for about $7200 USD with a 5 year warranty from one of our trusted sellers. It would be a great watch for you. see DavidSW or Takyua, both are very highly regarded on this forum.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post

I think I just found the next watch I am buying!
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:14 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

To me wearing a DD without the president bracelet is sacrilege
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:38 PM   #9
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Day Date President vs Date Just

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
To me wearing a DD without the president bracelet is sacrilege

I wanted to fall under the radar. The bracelet is too much gold IMO. I went with the leather strap but then used an 18K deployment clasp from a Cellini 4243. It’s a nice compromise.

Old 16 February 2019, 01:59 PM   #10
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
A Day-Date isn't a "President" without the bracelet. I'd go with a used DJ.
Agreed
MichelleP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:26 PM   #11
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The DD looks absolutely fantastic on leather.

To the OP: you can't go wrong with either choice, but to me the DJ with white gold is totally beautiful and more flexible, and it's also great to start out with a new piece. The DD can always be added later...

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2019, 03:49 PM   #12
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

Regarding #5, don’t they say dress for the job you want, not the job you have!? I wouldn’t worry about having a more expensive watch than the bosses
PatronMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:52 PM   #13
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i would take a datejust with jubilee over a day date on leather any day, especially a 18038 because you'll essentially never put a bracelet on it. the datejust would also be more versatile and go with anything, whereas a day date on a strap is more limited. imo the day date belongs on the president bracelet, that's what makes it so special
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:54 PM   #14
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
If this is your first luxury watch, I would go with the DJ in the configuration you described (excellent choice btw!). Honestly believe you will feel more comfortable wearing daily over a vintage DD on a leather strap.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:07 PM   #15
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

DateJust with white gold bezel and Jubilee bracelet. New from a proper AD. Then keep it many years.....don’t wear a watch obviously superior to those of your bosses.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:30 AM   #16
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Between these two, I'd go for the DJ - fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet.

The Day-Date has always been my grail watch (and now that I have one, I know why), but, I couldn't have done it without the President bracelet.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:59 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If you are going to play tennis, golf, etc. (which I did with my DJ), a bracelet is much more practical than a leather band. And a gold watch is not very “under the radar.” IMO.
Old 17 February 2019, 03:09 AM   #18
Awblazen
"TRF" Member

Really cool to be getting such good advice from people who’ve been here before, thanks everyone!
Old 17 February 2019, 04:52 AM   #19
SoTaxLaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I wanted to fall under the radar. The bracelet is too much gold IMO. I went with the leather strap but then used an 18K deployment clasp from a Cellini 4243. It’s a nice compromise.
That clasp is perfect execution and it makes all the pieces work together. IMO of course.
SoTaxLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:38 PM   #20
Awblazen
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your helpful advice here. As an update I made a decision based purely on my gut and the watch I keep wanting to see more pictures of. It’s not a rational decision, but I’m super excited. I’ll snap a pic of my new yellow gold 18038 with blue face once it’s received.
Old 7 March 2019, 04:49 PM   #21
Miguel Alvarez 2.0
"TRF" Member

I did the opposite. I got a DJ on a nato. It was the right year (birth year) and a DD on the bracelet. I wear my DD even though my pay grade "doesn't really match". People who know me know what my interests are. Some people like expensive cars, whisky, multiple holidays.

To be honest the only watch that's really had comments was my Bluesy. I think people just assume the DD is fake which suits me lol.
Miguel Alvarez 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:52 PM   #22
Miguel Alvarez 2.0
"TRF" Member

To add. Unless you're the type of person to definitely buy the bracelet later I'd get the DJ. I learnt that lesson buying a cheap SLK that was going to be a project car. It went two years with rusty wheel arches before the missus told me to get rid lol
Miguel Alvarez 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:57 PM   #23
aasubo
"TRF" Member

Of course, buy what you love, but my 0.02 cents:
Take the DJ on a jubilee with a fluted bezel and dark dial. It will NEVER EVER go out of style, you can do whatever you want with it according to no. 3 and it is much more versatile than the DD. And even I dont think that no. 5 is something you shoul be worried about, the DJ will also be no complaint in that regard.

BR
Torsten
aasubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:36 PM   #24
timedate
-

how could it take 2 years? whats been the delay?
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:15 PM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awblazen View Post
Hey Rolex Fans,

I'm a new member here, but I've been searching for my first luxury watch for about 2 years and this forum has been very valuable. I could use your help.

I have two bosses that I report to in a finance boutique that I work for and both have Rolex DateJust watch models that they bought from ADs.

I've always been a fan of buying pre-owned to save money and have a budget of roughly $8,000. This allows me to buy a Rolex Datejust 116234 (white gold, fluted bezel, blue dial) or a DayDate 18038 from (from mid-80, yellow gold, blue dial with a leather Rolex bracelet). The mid-80s DayDates with Presidents bracelets are out of my price range and much too flashy for my personal style.

Topics of conversation include:

1) Which model and reference do you prefer and why does it suit you best?
Of the two I prefer the Day Date. If you are worried about it sticking out too much than consider one in white gold. I find that DJs tend to take big hits as far as depreciation. I think a well priced, used DD will hold its value well.

Quote:
2) Between the two, what's the difference in service costs (or, how much more cost and more often do DayDates need to be serviced)?
I just was looking at this; DD is a couple of hundred dollars more to service at RSC.

Quote:
3) I never take off my watch. Can I wear a yellow gold day date while sleeping, tennis, golf, etc.?
There is no reason not to wear it 24/7 if you like. The only issue is that the gold color is eye catching. See the comment about white gold as an alternative.

Quote:
4) By reading this forum, I now think I understand why the Rolex DayDate without a President Band is less expensive than expected - I assume people buy these watches pre-owned for the President band (which sells for $15k brand new from Rolex), then sell the watch with a leather band. In M&A, this is a carve-out strategy. Is this what is happening or am I reading too much into it? I personally prefer leather, as it tones down the look, but I'm interested in what you guys think.
I don't believe that is the case. With both older DDs and DJs there is a fair amount of bracelet wear that can occur. Gold is softer than stainless. I believe there have been a lot of bracelets scrapped for their gold value instead of repaired. Many people don't even know they can be repaired.

Quote:
5) Do you think it's an issue to wear a DayDate when my superiors wear DateJusts?

If you want to offer me advice, please find a picture of my hairy wrist and some AD watches I was testing.

Cheers!
For the final question, it's hard to answer without knowing your work environment. My supervisors don't wear Rolexes so I don't even think they look at what I wear on my wrist. But I'm an engineer and no some other trade where status is important. What do you think is the situation at your company.

Good luck with the decision.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 09:48 PM   #26
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Get whatever you like, and pay no mind to your boss. I have worked for guys who don’t wear a watch...so what?
Also, I have a datejust and a day-date. Both good choices, just preference
Old 7 March 2019, 10:37 PM   #27
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Both great watches, have owned both, only the Day Date remains. Based on your post, for an everyday watch, that you plan to sleep with, 116234 is the way to go. Plus as others have said the Day Date is not a Day Date without the president bracelet. Good luck and post pics when you are done.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 12:02 AM   #28
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:26 AM   #29
Awblazen
"TRF" Member

Here is the image from the dealer - I'll give you an update once I have it in my hands. It's coming from Switzerland, so they estimate that I'll get it by the end of the month.

My plan is to have my local watchmaker take it apart and inspect it to ensure that all parts are genuine Rolex. It's a $25 fee that just adds to piece of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1551.jpeg (85.6 KB, 293 views)
Old 8 March 2019, 08:58 AM   #30
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I really like the DD on leather, but don't think I would ever buy one without the Prez bracelet. With that said, the ONLY choice is to buy what you like best. Don't worry about of the other factors as they don't matter.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote