The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
mc1010
"TRF" Member

Question on Rolex Date

My dad gave me his beloved Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date which he purchased new around 8 or 9 years ago from a Rolex store in Hong Kong. But I was reading up on the Rolex Date model and found these info:

What is the difference between the Rolex Date and Datejust models?

Actually, the difference is very small -- 2mm to be exact. The case of the Date model is 34mm, which is 2mm smaller than the case of the Datejust at 36mm. That, and the fact that the Datejust is available with the Jubilee or Oyster bracelet, while the Date is only available with the Oyster bracelet.

I also visited the Rolex website and sure enough, the Date model comes in stainless steel and oyster bracelet only, no two-tone and no Jubilee.

Did Rolex discontinue the two-tone and Jubilee bracelet on the Date? If so, when did this happen?

Also, did the dials of the Date ever have diamonds on them, or would this dial be aftermarket? But I really doubt it's aftermarket, I don't think my dad would get a 'fake' dial for his Rolex.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OysterPerpetualDate.jpg (105.9 KB, 212 views)
mc1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 06:39 AM   #2
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub5513 / Choc1675
The Date model is 34mm vs the DateJust 36mm.

The Date model actually came in not just all stainless steel, but all 14K yellow gold as well as a two-tone model. I have a 2006 Date 2-tone with an oyster bracelet with box and papers. It's the real deal.

I have other Date models, from a 14K 1979 model, to 2-tone models of various years. As to when they came out with a 2-tone and did they ever come standard with a Jubilee bracelet? Now you have me going back over my Rolex school lesson. Excellent question!

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I do question the dial on your Date model. My suspicion is the dial has been upgraded with the diamond markers. They dial is quite common, as I've had the same dial on DateJust, Date and Air-Kings.
Old 17 August 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
mc1010
"TRF" Member

Thanks Donald. Hope someone could shed some light as to whether or not the Date did ever come with a Jubilee bracelet.

But if the dial was indeed upgraded with diamond markers, could I still have it serviced in a Rolex Service Center? Or will they confiscate this altered dial and replace it with an original one?
Old 17 August 2010, 03:47 PM   #4
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I have a 1969 TT date with an original jubilee bracelet. They are very rare-only 200 were made. The model number is 1505.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
veidtadrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: (2) SS DJ + SS Sub
Missing main point:

Date - You have to engage in 'manual winding' to change the dates (ie, continuously turning the hour hand)

Datejust - There is a mechanism to change the date one day at a time.

I'm sure someone could have explained it much better than I just did!

Because of this, I believe the date to be somewhat lighter than a DJ but I could be wrong.
veidtadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
maybe a few milligrams lighter!
pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Aeternitas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 15200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1010 View Post
Thanks Donald. Hope someone could shed some light as to whether or not the Date did ever come with a Jubilee bracelet.

But if the dial was indeed upgraded with diamond markers, could I still have it serviced in a Rolex Service Center? Or will they confiscate this altered dial and replace it with an original one?
Regarding the jubilee bracelet, it was indeed an option for the Date. I recently sent my 15200 (circa 2002) in to Rolex to get fitted with one. However, I don't recall seeing any 15200s that were sold with the jubilee bracelet originally. I would assume that this could be the same situation with the two tones. I don't believe that the current model (115200) has a jubilee bracelet as an option. There are Dates that are available with diamond markers, although I can't tell if the one pictured is aftermarket or not.

And another thing, Dates have had the quick set option for some time now, which means that no manual winding is required to advance the date on the more recent models.
Aeternitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2010, 12:42 AM   #8
mc1010
"TRF" Member

Thanks Aeternitas. You've been very helpful. Yup, you're right, my Rolex Date does not require manual winding.