The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 November 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Martylaa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Is it possible to build a Rolex Sub 5512 from parts?

Can it be done or would it be easier and cheaper to buy a complete watch, would different parts for the 5512 detract from it when finished?
Asking because I have seem loads of bits for Sub's advertised and think I could do it as a project over time? For example buy a case, crystal, band and the face/movement....
What do you think?
Martylaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
You could build a 1968 Chevy Camaro from parts if you wanted to, but it would likely cost much more time, effort and money than purchasing something already assembled. Reminds me of a Confucius proverb that says "What the fool does in the end, the wise man does in the beginning.)

Just my 2 cents (pun intended ;-)
Old 11 November 2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I think someone that used to post here did that?????
Old 11 November 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I would love to see such a process in the works, if you want a project, why not.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 05:36 PM   #5
sherwin
"TRF" Member

definitely possible. as for cost? probably going to cost more in parts than to buy an existing 5512.

then you have a problem of finding age specific parts for the watch such as dial, hands and bezel, so that it doesnt look out of place.
Old 11 November 2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Just be careful! After you have "given life to it" by connecting it to that giant lightning rod attached to your creepy castle it might go on a rampage and end up with you being lynched by an angry mob of villagers with firebrands and pitchforks!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 06:49 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
Just be careful! After you have "given life to it" by connecting it to that giant lightning rod attached to your creepy castle it might go on a rampage and end up with you being lynched by an angry mob of villagers with firebrands and pitchforks!
Exactly what happened to that member.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Grumpy Badger.....firebrands & pitchforks!!!!! Isn't Basel right around the corner?????? & speaking of monsters....it would be a good time to "occupy" the Rolex booth & air demands, i.e. no more horrendous price increases, obscenely expensive new releases, etc. etc. etc.
Old 11 November 2011, 06:55 PM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I think Radar mailed a jeep home part by part by part.

Sure it's possible, but why would you want to do it?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 07:00 PM   #10
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
True. I remember it too.
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Grumpy Badger.....firebrands & pitchforks!!!!! Isn't Basel right around the corner?????? & speaking of monsters....it would be a good time to "occupy" the Rolex booth & air demands, i.e. no more horrendous price increases, obscenely expensive new releases, etc. etc. etc.
I'm working on my "Bring back Radium lume" banner as we speak!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 07:16 PM   #12
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Skip plan A and proceed directly to plan B and buy an existng watch.

MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 07:27 PM   #13
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i set out to do that a few months ago , but ,,,,,, heres the but ,,, you need to have some of the parts laying about to start with , just to buy all the parts gets expensive very quickly.
its pos but in the end you finish with a collection of parts all in one place . while it would do me , others will frown , but as i said at the time , let them ,,,,, any watch is only a large collection of parts in a small box.
you do finish with triggers brush though.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 08:18 PM   #14
blackmsport
Banned

I build an apple ipod classic from parts motherboard $50 case + battery $30 LCD $20 hdd $60
Saving $20
Not worth it but fun in the process
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 08:30 PM   #15
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
I build an apple ipod classic from parts motherboard $50 case + battery $30 LCD $20 hdd $60
Saving $20
Not worth it but fun in the process
lol , fair enough , but ,,, parts total a hundred dollars , if it goes wrong and some of the purchased parts dont arrive , or arent exactly as you expected after the desription etc , your only out the price of a bottle of wine ,,, with a rolex you could b out the price of a car.
so in my views its not quite the same thing.
Old 11 November 2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Quote:
You beat me to it! Damn!

-Eddie
Old 11 November 2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Martylaa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
I'll give it up as a stupid idea haha, just scored a 2007 14060M Sub No COSC, in new condition instead.
I am determined to buy a Rolex Sub from 1974 though ( my birth year )
Martylaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 10:23 PM   #18
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

74 , ha ,,,, wish i was as lucky , its 61 for me , you get out of it cheap at 74
hope you enjoy your sub.
t
Old 12 November 2011, 12:22 AM   #19
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
Can it be done or would it be easier and cheaper to buy a complete watch, would different parts for the 5512 detract from it when finished?
Asking because I have seem loads of bits for Sub's advertised and think I could do it as a project over time? For example buy a case, crystal, band and the face/movement....
What do you think?
If it's built from parts then its not original. Many people do build Frankenstein watches but in my opinion these are replicas with genuine parts. In short, anything can be done. I wouldn't buy a Franken 5512 well unless it was cheap.
Old 12 November 2011, 01:10 AM   #20
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
if you could find a case that was genuine, in decent shape and for a fair price... then it could work out. you could buy a running datejust and use the movement.

however, cases (mid, back and bezel) are usually faked, or dammaged and have been discarded for various reasons.

Harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 08:20 AM   #21
Mark020
"TRF" Member

And if you can find one chances are that you pay way too much. I have been thinking about this a few times but some searching on VRM and some calculating made me decide that it simple doesn't work. My 2c!
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 10:22 AM   #22
MoBe
"TRF" Member

I saw a 5513 middle case in very good to fine condition sell recently for over $1200,come to think of it now,that seems not a bad price.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 05:30 AM   #23
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 06:52 AM   #24
fatfreddy

What would Forum members think of someone restoring say a 1680 sub that the boys at the RSC had removed, replaced and buffed? If the watch was put back to it's original state using genuine period parts - dial, hands, bezel etc would that be something to applaud?
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 08:31 AM   #25
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Steve, i think that purists would say that its an unoriginal cluster of parts. i dont know if most of these watches can even be identified if they are done with the right pieces. i will likely build a watch for fun, but i dont think i could ever have the heart to pass it off as an original piece to an unassuming collector. most people out there are not as honest as I am. Harry
Old 15 November 2011, 10:00 PM   #26
bb3188
"TRF" Member

IMHO, to call put together watches franken (and assume your's isnt) is somewhat naive... sorry....:)

seeing this type thread is a never ending circle..... going round and round. IMO, if the parts are all orginal and period correct to the watch, then the watch is correct, NOT a frakenstein,..... it's no different to someone who started with a correct mid case/ serial number watch and over time replaced the movements or the crystal or the dial or the hands......:)

The reality to me is that is a big call to make (calling a period correct genuine a franken) cause the reality is that all my rolexes ....could be so called " frankens" (with the exeception being the one I inherited from my dad) as the past life of a 40 plus year old watch is hard to map out ....;-)
and I venture to say that would be the case with most collectors unless they got the watches straight from the the orignal owner

ps that does not include a dealer that says is was from a one owner....love that other fairytale....:)

I will be probably shot down for this post but what the hey.....
If i see a beautiful watch, but deemed a " franken" by the vintage police, I take it any day ... to me (with rose coloured glasses ) I like to think that someone has taken the time to bring that old girl back to her former glory....
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 10:29 PM   #27
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb3188 View Post
IMHO, to call put together watches franken (and assume your's isnt) is somewhat naive... sorry....:)

seeing this type thread is a never ending circle..... going round and round. IMO, if the parts are all orginal and period correct to the watch, then the watch is correct, NOT a frakenstein,..... it's no different to someone who started with a correct mid case/ serial number watch and over time replaced the movements or the crystal or the dial or the hands......:)

The reality to me is that is a big call to make (calling a period correct genuine a franken) cause the reality is that all my rolexes ....could be so called " frankens" (with the exeception being the one I inherited from my dad) as the past life of a 40 plus year old watch is hard to map out ....;-)
and I venture to say that would be the case with most collectors unless they got the watches straight from the the orignal owner

ps that does not include a dealer that says is was from a one owner....love that other fairytale....:)

If i see a beautiful watch, but deemed a " franken" by the vintage police, I take it any day ... to me (with rose coloured glasses ) I like to think that someone has taken the time to bring that old girl back to her former glory....

X 2....Well said
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2011, 12:41 AM   #28
paddy_crow

There's an old saying in the vintage Mercedes world, "Sometimes the cheapest old Mercedes is the most expensive old Mercedes."

Once you start pricing the parts, you quickly come to the conclusion that you're better off buying a complete example in good condition.
paddy_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2011, 01:02 AM   #29
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb3188 View Post

Awesome post.

A 1680 with a service dial is no longer original, but not considered a franken.

There is a lot of grey area and mostly not discussed because a good amount of vintages are within THIS grey (franken/un-original) area.

That is why there is a premium on Original, one owner with box and papers vintage watches.
Old 16 November 2011, 02:44 AM   #30
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Mark, well said. a frame-off car restoration is acceptable, but in the watch community it isnt. i supports its important that the motor and tranny match the frame numbers, but you cannot tell this with watches. in car resto worlds, 70% of the vehicle is new or repro. rubber, interior, plastics, gaskets, rads, the list goes on.

its too bad the movements in rolexes dont bear the serial number on the case.

i agree that if the parts are period correct, its fine with me.