The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2016, 02:33 PM   #1
clb521
"TRF" Member

When does a Rolex become vintage and when does it go up in value

So I am always hearing on the forum and from people that Rolexes hold their value and appreciate rather than depreciate. How old does a Rolex have to be to become vintage? Also how old does it have to be for it to go up in value?

Also what are some of your experiences with reselling a Rolex? Did you actually make money or did you lose money?

I know that buying and selling Rolexes for the casual wearer isn't going to be the biggest money maker and you buy the watch with the intention of keeping it for a long time. I'm curious to hear some of your experiences.

I personally have a blue TT sub about 10 years old and just bought a BNIB blue Milgauss and I'm considering getting a new Hulk Sub so I'm by no means looking to sell ky collection anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 03:39 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

My only experience is this - I bought a used 14060 about 17 years ago for $2000. I suppose I could sell it today for more than that, but I never consider selling it.

Maybe they go up in value after they've been discontinued for a while and are no longer readily available. I don't know, I never really give any thought to the investment aspect...I just buy and enjoy.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 04:36 PM   #3
clb521
"TRF" Member

No one has any other opinions on this?

Old 29 May 2016, 05:47 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post

Yes wearing and owning a Rolex is not all about $$$$$$$$$$$££££££££££.Sorry it makes me a little bit annoyed sometimes when I see posts like this, why is it today with many that Rolex watches are seen as little more than $$$$$$£££.Gone are the days of buying and owning the one you want to buy and wear just because its one of finest mechanical watches made today.Rolex watches are not investments they are meant to worn and enjoyed for many years in good health that's far more important I can assure you from experience.And after many years of wearing if you do have to sell and get a good return on original price paid.Just think of that as a bonus, on all the pleasure of owning and wearing that watch over those years. That's what buying and owning a Rolex is all about its not all about investments and $$$$$$$$$££££££££££.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 05:58 PM   #5
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

In the realm of luxury goods, the actual cost of ownership for a Rolex is relatively low and they are easy to sell. This simple truth should serve to enable us to rationalize luxury purchases for our own personal enjoyment. Despite the potential for return, it is ultimately not an investment strategy but a spending one.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 06:23 PM   #6
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes wearing and owning a Rolex is not all about $$$$$$$$$$$££££££££££.Sorry it makes me a little bit annoyed sometimes when I see posts like this, why is it today with many that Rolex watches are seen as little more than $$$$$$£££.Gone are the days of buying and owning the one you want to buy and wear just because its one of finest mechanical watches made today.Rolex watches are not investments they are meant to worn and enjoyed for many years in good health that's far more important I can assure you from experience.And after many years of wearing if you do have to sell and get a good return on original price paid.Just think of that as a bonus, on all the pleasure of owning and wearing that watch over those years. That's what buying and owning a Rolex is all about its not all about investments and $$$$$$$$$££££££££££.
Padi

I have to agree with you and I sometimes think many Rolex wearers are buying the watch for the wrong reasons.

I often think it would actually be a good thing if prices started to slowly go down. This way the "investors" would slowly sell up and the true enthusiast could buy more watches.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 06:34 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

When does a Rolex become vintage and when does it go up in value

I bought a loaf of bread at Walmart about a week ago.

I've finished about half of it and can tell it's getting vintage (green mold forming) but when will it go up in value?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 06:50 PM   #8
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
I tend to agree an disagree on this. While money in the bank isn't doing much at the moment, I prefer to spend it on watches. Watches I love, enjoy and choose wisely. I also know that in several years, if I would ever need to sell any of my watches, I would most probably be able to sell them for more than I bought them or at least for the same kind of price. If I then take in to account that I have been able to wear them for several years, then that's a pretty good deal.

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 06:54 PM   #9
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

I've finished about half of it and can tell it's getting vintage (green mold forming) but when will it go up in value?
thats not going moldy ,,, its developing a patina , some of the loaves produced will do that , if its stored damp , usually in a dark place. collectors love it . soon it will start to develop cracks too ,, thats called character , the only other thing worth checking is to see if its got a picture of a helicopter on the bottom.. have fun collecting
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 07:12 PM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

To be fair to OPs question, I think most people here will buy watches to enjoy, but many will be aware that SS Rolex sports watches retain value quite well over time.

One thing to consider in valuation is to see how many price increases have happened within a certain time period. For the US market, very minimal if not any price increases over the past 5 years, but quite a few in the 5 years preceeding that. In the EU, there has been several price increases over the past 5 years primarily due to currency exchange rates and the same for Japan as well as a few other places.

So if you ask if today's watch will appreciate in price over the next 5-10 years, I would say it will depend on Rolex increasing prices over that time period in your market or discontinuing a watch and people appreciating a watch more after it is no longer produced.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 07:43 PM   #11
jackass266
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
In the realm of luxury goods, the actual cost of ownership for a Rolex is relatively low and they are easy to sell. This simple truth should serve to enable us to rationalize luxury purchases for our own personal enjoyment. Despite the potential for return, it is ultimately not an investment strategy but a spending one.

Dadonn2 I agree with you completly. To me its not an investment strategy but a buying strategy. When I bought my first two watches (not Rolex) I figured this new found passion wasn't going away and therefor could become a very costly passion. Doing some more research I found some brands would retain value better then others. And what would you know, I fell in love with Rolex watches. Since then I have bought four Rolexes and it gives me some peace of mind that I didn't just threw away 40k.
jackass266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 07:43 PM   #12
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
soon it will start to develop cracks too ,, thats called character

That's also heavily sought by collectors, when it develops that spider webbing. If it happens I'd hold onto that bread. Priceless stuff there!
coffeebreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 08:41 PM   #13
jackass266
"TRF" Member

I do wonder though when a rolex is considered vintage. I just bought a 1999 16710. Not that I care but would this be considered vintage? And does it being a swiss only dial matter to it being or not being considered vintage.

Like I said, vintage or not, doesn't realy matter.
Old 29 May 2016, 08:55 PM   #14
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
If it ain't got a tritium dial, it ain't vintage
Old 29 May 2016, 10:09 PM   #15
jackass266
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post

Well, thats actually not true. That statement would mean that in lets say 50 years if it still "ain't got a tritium dial" it still ain't vintage. And I'm sure you wouldn't agree with that.

Some day even a BLNR will become vintage.
Hell, even the Daytona C will become vintage some day.

But what then?
Is it age? And if so, what age? And if so, looking at for instance, the GMT range will age determine the vintage status for every reference number or will every reference number have their own vintage status age?
Old 29 May 2016, 10:13 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
Radium?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 10:16 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass266 View Post
I do wonder though when a rolex is considered vintage. I just bought a 1999 16710. Not that I care but would this be considered vintage? And does it being a swiss only dial matter to it being or not being considered vintage.

Like I said, vintage or not, doesn't realy matter.
If it was from the 1950s 1960s with Swiss only on the radiam dial then yes it would be vintage,but to be even considered vintage in my book its got to be pre 1988.And any modern day Rolex with just Swiss on bottom of dial normally indicates the case was stamped sometime between 1998 and 2000 nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 10:58 PM   #18
jackass266
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it was from the 1950s 1960s with Swiss only on the radiam dial then yes it would be vintage,but to be even considered vintage in my book its got to be pre 1988.And any modern day Rolex with just Swiss on bottom of dial normally indicates the case was stamped sometime between 1998 and 2000 nothing more.

Dial you mean.

True, a 16710 swiss only was only produced two years but that doesn't mean it would be more vintage then an older GMT produced for a longer time.
Old 29 May 2016, 11:30 PM   #19
clb521
"TRF" Member

Thats why I wanted to state in my post that I'm not buying Rolexes as a retirement stategy. I do wonder though how well they hold there value? I they hold value over buying a new car. It would be nice reasurance that if the time arose that I did have to sell a watch then I can sell it at either what I paid or maybe a little more or just a little under.

I also understand not all Rolexes are going to be highly desirable in the future. I'm imagining Subs will be ok as well as GMTs Yachts Daytonas and DayDates. Basic dayjusts and jubilees would be the most suceptible to depreciation.

Old 29 May 2016, 11:35 PM   #20
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
From the stand point money not worth anything until you buy something with it.
Rolex is one of the better affordable values in the watch world.
Don't buy as an ivestment and you will be happier.
It's just great to be able to get into and out of dollar wise.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:01 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post

My opinion is that I buy what I like to own and wear.

Possible value in the future is not worthy of consideration for me.

We might not be here tomorrow or the global economy could collapse in which case your jewelry will be worthless.

Good luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:03 AM   #22
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
For me vintage = plexi crystal and matte finish dial with no WG surrounds on the hour markers.
Old 30 May 2016, 12:04 AM   #23
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I agree with Padi. Many people are buying Rolexes to put them in safes in the hope that one day they will have a BNIB never worn that will reap them a big return on the money they spent. I buy mine because I love the craftsmanship, design & the feeling I get when I look at my watch on my wrist. Sure if times get bad & you need some fast cash you could always sell your watch but that's not why I bought mine.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:13 AM   #24
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Many view vintage to have plexi and tritium dials. That of course will change over time. For example a 16803 from the early 80's has a sapphire crystal but may be considered vintage since it was the first two tone "bluesy" and was only produced for a few years--changed to 16613 in 86/87.
For the most part I think this ship has sailed unless you hang on to a watch for many, many years. If you bought a handful of Daytona's in the early 70's for <$300 40+ years later they are worth a "fortune".
Hard to speculate on what the next reference will be that will increase crazily in value like the 4 digit Daytona's. Only time will tell.
Over the last 5 years or so we certainly have seen a significant increase in vintage prices, but those watches were already vintage. Collectors who got in early will certainly see a nice "ROI".
I am a die hard Rolex WIS and cost of ownership is what it is. As others here, I watch the market closely but not as an investment strategy. If a reference I own goes up in value that is just a bonus👍🏻
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:21 AM   #25
RolexAuthority
Banned

This is vintage
RolexAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 12:25 AM   #26
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexAuthority View Post
This is vintage
That actually looks brand new. Is that after being serviced or restored?

Old 30 May 2016, 02:38 AM   #27
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
no kidding...what was once esoteric has become an OCD for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Padi I have to agree with you and I sometimes think many Rolex wearers are buying the watch for the wrong reasons.
probably explains the ubiquitous 'flipper' mentality.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:12 AM   #28
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Padi

I have to agree with you and I sometimes think many Rolex wearers are buying the watch for the wrong reasons.

I often think it would actually be a good thing if prices started to slowly go down. This way the "investors" would slowly sell up and the true enthusiast could buy more watches.

Regards

Mick

+1, hope the bubble bursts at some point

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:16 AM   #29
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

Heck as long as the mold is matching and it's all original, I'll buy it at 2.5x retail. Just make sure it isn't a franken-loaf
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 03:24 AM   #30
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

I'd consider anything over 30 to be vintage. That said if I were placing bets on watches most likely to appreciate I'd be looking for any minty/unpolished Zenith Daytona, 168000 Sub or 16710.
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote