The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 May 2016, 02:28 PM   #1
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Which watch for first born son?

I just read through the thread on birth year watches and it got me thinking that I should look for a watch for my first born, a son who is due this fall. Best case is my son will be into watches at least a little bit and will value the gift at some point down the road. Worst case is he won't give a damn but I'll have a watch I've personally enjoyed for many years.

I'm leaning towards an 116719 BLRO but I'm looking for alternatives up to that price point. I prefer sport watches and would like this piece to be in PM, kind of why this particular Rolex is at the top of my list. My second choice is the Blancpain Bathyscaphe Ocean Commitment but that's a ceramic case and I'm not sure it will hold it's value as well.

BLRO, would you do it? If not, what would you choose?
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Blro would be an amazing gift to hand down to your son. Question though, at what age would you imagine giving him the watch?

Precious metal may not be suitable for a teenager. I know when I was that age it wouldn't have been a good idea. Anyway, I don't know your son... Heck you don't know him either. But safe bet as a gift for a teen would be something SS. Again, the blro would be totally awesome too!

Congrats to you and good luck.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 03:02 PM   #3
FXR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Excellent idea. My 2nd son was born in january and I bought a Daytona 116520W. He'll get it when he turns 18. Frist son will get a GMTIIc. ;)
I'd consider going classic with either a SS Sub, GMTII or if you have the opportunity/money the new DaytonaC.

This DaytonaC would be a great choice as released in 2016 :)
FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 03:09 PM   #4
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Question though, at what age would you imagine giving him the watch?
Yes this is an important factor I neglected to include. My thoughts would be a milestone such as advanced education graduation, marriage, business deal, record deal, NFL draft, 1st Formula 1 victory...okay enough with the dreaming, but realistically somewhere around the early 20's.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 03:13 PM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
BLRO would be a perfect family birth watch! Do it!

I got my 1st born son a birth watch. Had the papers dated on his birth date and wore it for the first time when I welcomed him into the world. I'll wear it for holidays and special events as he grows up and give it to him when he's ready. He's a 3rd with the family name so he'll also have to promise that he will continue the tradition with name and passing the watch down. Best part is that I get to enjoy it for the next 20 years.

singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Submariner. Style, fashion and taste change on a weekly basis, never mind what's gonna be around in 20 odd years time.

The Sub is like Levi 501s; never 'in fashion', never 'out of fashion'. It just is. It's a classic, a masterpiece and a perpetual (excuse the pun). The Submariner is one of those things that always was, is and always will be.

Your only dilemma is which one. Good luck with that one....................

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 09:49 PM   #7
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud van driver View Post
submariner. Style, fashion and taste change on a weekly basis, never mind what's gonna be around in 20 odd years time.

The sub is like levi 501s; never 'in fashion', never 'out of fashion'. It just is. It's a classic, a masterpiece and a perpetual (excuse the pun). The submariner is one of those things that always was, is and always will be.

Your only dilemma is which one. Good luck with that one....................
x2
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 09:51 PM   #8
dave_dave
"TRF" Member

Blro would be a perfect watch
dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

SS Sub.

College Graduation.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 10:46 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think the BLRO sounds perfect!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Yes this is an important factor I neglected to include. My thoughts would be a milestone such as advanced education graduation, marriage, business deal, record deal, NFL draft, 1st Formula 1 victory...okay enough with the dreaming, but realistically somewhere around the early 20's.
In that case, get him the BLRO for his Harvard graduation, but also get him a platinum Daytona for when he wins Formula 1!

Ok really though, for early 20s the BLRO would be awesome, but as other have mentioned you can't go wrong with a Submariner Date!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 12:00 AM   #12
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
SS Sub or an Explorer. I think that SS is more befitting a young man in his early 20's than PM would be.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 12:05 AM   #13
Anthon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
There is just no way that we can give any meaningful response to this question, there are just too many variables, too many unknowns. All you will get here is a sampling of our personal tastes in horlogerie. Get the watch that YOU want and if you are lucky, you and your son will share the enthusiasm.

Looking at my kids now, I have no idea if in 30 years they will be even remotely interested in a scratched, faded, lumed out and by then vintage Ladies DateJust. They might both turn out to be tomboys, lusting for my Sub!
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 12:09 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
There is just no way that we can give any meaningful response to this question, there are just too many variables, too many unknowns. All you will get here is a sampling of our personal tastes in horlogerie. Get the watch that YOU want and if you are lucky, you and your son will share the enthusiasm.

Looking at my kids now, I have no idea if in 30 years they will be even remotely interested in a scratched, faded, lumed out vintage Explorer or Sub.
100% agree.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 12:14 AM   #15
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
I have a Speedmaster for my daughter and a Nautilus for my son. They will have a good few more watches too at this rate