The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 December 2016, 12:29 AM   #1
Trey003
"TRF" Member

16520 advise

I have been looking for a clean 16520 for several months. Given how many variations there are and the range of price, I'm struggling to find 'the one' and honestly struggling to determine what 'the one' even is.

I ran across this watch and would appreciate the groups opinions. It is serial number U329... with a 78390 bracelet. It comes with a full set as well. The price is ~$14,000.

daytona1.jpg

daytona2.jpg

daytona3.jpg
Trey003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 12:34 AM   #2
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

It's is a nice 16520, but nothing special about this one specifically. The full set is nice, but I think it's overpriced.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 12:38 AM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage82 View Post
it's is a nice 16520, but nothing special about this one specifically. The full set is nice, but i think it's overpriced.
x2
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Trey003
"TRF" Member

What do you think the price should be?

Or what would you be looking for at $14,000?

Trey
Old 31 December 2016, 02:07 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Personally, if I were looking for a Zenith Daytona set in that price range, I would look for one with either of the "rare" inverted 6 dials.

Below is a link that has some info on the dial variations.

https://daytonainfo.wordpress.com/eras/zenith/

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 02:26 AM   #6
Trey003
"TRF" Member

I've been looking diligently since September and I swear I've watched prices go up over the time I've been searching. I started out wanting a 4 liner or a floating dial. I found a few good ones earlier on but was too new to be confident so they sold while I was getting comfortable.

Over the time I've been looking I decided I really valued a 'full set' but didn't want to spend the money to get a 4 liner or floating dial in a 'full set'

Every time i find an inverted dial 'full set' they are between 15,000 and 18,000, which doesn't seem worth it to me.

Trey
Old 31 December 2016, 08:31 AM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Seems a bit over priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 December 2016, 09:00 AM   #8
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Agree with others. Price is high.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 09:08 AM   #9
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
About 4K too high. Are those PCLs?
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 09:02 PM   #10
Woody
"TRF" Member

IMO they are all over-priced!! That said if you want one you will just have to bite the bullet and as you have already come to realise prices are just mad at the moment. Find the best example you can and just pay the price......chances are they will never be cheaper than they are now and you will have the enjoyment of owning a great watch.......which should ALWAYS be the first consideration. Good luck with your search (that is a big part of the fun).

As an aside that example looks to be fairly average.......I think you could do better. I noticed earlier today that Blowers.co.uk have a good example for sale on their website so might be worth a look to give you an idea about what is available. Good luck.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 01:40 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Price seems a little high, but not crazy for a Zenith Daytona. You see them mostly in the $12K-$13K range.

I'd love to see one for $10K, as previously suggested. I'd probably buy it. I'm not sure they're out there for that price nowadays. You can find 116520s for that price, but not the 16520s, in my searches, anyway.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 01:46 AM   #12
Trey003
"TRF" Member

My experience has been the same... I haven't found a full set 16520 for $10k in the 5 months I have been obsessively searching.

The cheapest I have found a full set is $13k.

I am starting to wonder how much I should car about a 'full set'. The is a very limiting trait. It almost seems harder to find a well priced full set than it is to find a 4 line or patrizzi for a fair price.

Given this watch isn't special what price would make this worth buying? I am going to wear whatever I buy. It is certainly a watch I want to enjoy.

Trey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old 9 January 2017, 01:17 AM   #13
Trey003
"TRF" Member

Ok, this watch sold pretty much at asking price. That makes the 3rd full set watch in this serial range that has sold in the past month. I agree that it seems overpriced but I keep seeing watches sell at this point. Even ones listed on the forum (the few that have popped up) seem to be priced at this range

I've found another option which also has the original warranty certificate. This one is a mark 3 dial with 78360 bracelet. However something funny seems to be going on with the writing on the certificate. Is this ok? Sorry for the terrible photo. I'm working on better ones.

Trey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16520 Cert.jpg (68.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 9 January 2017, 01:48 AM   #14
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey003 View Post
I've been looking diligently since September and I swear I've watched prices go up over the time I've been searching. I started out wanting a 4 liner or a floating dial. I found a few good ones earlier on but was too new to be confident so they sold while I was getting comfortable.

Over the time I've been looking I decided I really valued a 'full set' but didn't want to spend the money to get a 4 liner or floating dial in a 'full set'

Every time i find an inverted dial 'full set' they are between 15,000 and 18,000, which doesn't seem worth it to me.

Trey
I was in the same boat. The prices seemed to start going up after the release of the current model. From what I have seen online in the last 6 months, 14k is not a bad price for a white dial full set, the black dials command a bit less. There is/was an overpolished one with full kit on ebay and the guy was asking 19k. At 14k, I do not think you will lose money down the road if you decide to flip it. Good luck with your purchase.

David
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 03:23 AM   #15
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Pay the premium and get a ceramic. Full set with all the upgrades, or save some money and get a 116520 full set. You're just not getting very good bang at that price range.
Old 9 January 2017, 04:10 AM   #16
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

For me the defining characteristic of the watch is the bezel. I would want an "unpolished" bezel at that price point. We have all seen some full sets priced near 20 with full sets and unpolished. However, i would think that you can find a nice unpolished full set for 13-14. The one in the photo has seen the wheel a little more than i prefer. for 14 I want tags, box, papers, etc....also unpolished. They are out there but you have to be lighting quick. The speedmaster guy with the Ferrari (i forget his name) had one last week that was unpolished for 14k full set. Get on Instagram and follow some of these dealers.....you can see what pops up before it gets listed. The previously mentioned full set did not get listed as it was sold within the day.

I was in your shoes as well. However, at the time, i wanted to spend no more than 12.....got tired of looking. Found a razor sharp, lightly worn, full sticker on the back, tags, double boxes, papers 16528 for 19.1. Bought that sucker! Now the really nice SS sets are being priced there by some dealers.....guess i did all right. The only issue is that the watch is a little too "Liberace" for me and i don't wear it much.....but what do you do.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2017, 04:19 AM   #17
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Here she is....full sticker on the back. Super cherry!IMG_2179.jpg

There is a dealer named Chase at Nashville Watch. Google him. He is a bloodhound and can find something for you as he has done for me many times. I think his screen name is au_911tt

I recommend him highly!
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote