The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 11:54 PM   #31
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Its a matter of taste
This, 100% this. Not everyone loves the gilt printing and red triangle at 12. They may fill the same general need, but the Sub is still a very different watch.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #32
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Really? Why not. The SubC is the perfect beater.
Well, I think we might have different definitions of a beater. Sometimes, we go to places that aren't exactly conducive for wearing a $7,500 Rolex. It's better to fly under the radar. So that's what I am talking about. The Tudor BB58 is a good choice for that.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:02 AM   #33
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
The gold accents/faux patina on the BB makes it a nonstarter for me.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:05 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've had both, TBB has that vintage charm, Sub has the modern glamour. Take your pick.

I do like the 39mm and 11.9mm thickness sizes, think these are better proportioned.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:09 AM   #35
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
The whole modern retro throwback thing turns me off a bit on the Tudor but I still kinda like it. The biggest dislike I have is the rivet bracelet.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #36
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Well, I think we might have different definitions of a beater. Sometimes, we go to places that aren't exactly conducive for wearing a $7,500 Rolex. It's better to fly under the radar. So that's what I am talking about. The Tudor BB58 is a good choice for that.

You mean like here:

I don’t think it’s about the money but the ability of the watch to handle the beating. I'm not talking about hitting it with a hammer, but the bumps and scraps of everyday life and still come out looking attractive. The SubC, with its flat sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel and mostly brushed 904L stainless steel has that capacity. Because a Black Bay has a domed crystal, an aluminium bezel and more polished 316 stainless steel, I suggest that it will fair much worse in similar conditions. I have plenty of lower priced watches, but it’s the SubC I strap to my wrist when I need to walk, hike, run, swim, garden or build. If I was worried about the money, I wouldn’t even strap a $2,000 watch to my wrist, but go watchless or buy an inexpensive G-Shock...and for the record, here is my Submariner after six years of ownership. A few scratches here and there that blend into the brushed finish, but the crystal and bezel are still perfect.

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:51 AM   #37
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
You mean like here:

I don’t think it’s about the money but the ability of the watch to handle the beating. I'm not talking about hitting it with a hammer, but the bumps and scraps of everyday life and still come out looking attractive. The SubC, with its flat sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel and mostly brushed 904L stainless steel has that capacity. Because a Black Bay has a domed crystal, an aluminium bezel and more polished 316 stainless steel, I suggest that it will fair much worse in similar conditions. I have plenty of lower priced watches, but it’s the SubC I strap to my wrist when I need to walk, hike, run, swim, garden or build. If I was worried about the money, I wouldn’t even strap a $2,000 watch to my wrist, but go watchless or buy an inexpensive G-Shock...and for the record, here is my Submariner after six years of ownership. A few scratches here and there that blend into the brushed finish, but the crystal and bezel are still perfect.

We're not on the same frequency. That's not what I am talking about at all. I am talking about going places where you just don't want to flash an expensive watch. Most places we go are fine, but if my wife and I are walking alone in some areas of a certain city nearby, I'd rather be wearing something different and more under the radar (if you know what I mean).

Again, most places we go, it's not an issue, but we do venture out and it's something that needs to be considered. I won't wear a Rolex and my wife won't bring one of her Louis Vuitton hand bags. We dress down.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:57 AM   #38
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

New Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight vs. Rolex Submariner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
We're not on the same frequency. That's not what I am talking about at all. I am talking about going places where you just don't want to flash an expensive watch.

I see the problem - that's not the definition of a beater as I understand it. That said, I've worn my SubC just about everywhere, including many foreign countries, although I think I would now be wary of wearing it in the USA.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 04:00 PM   #39
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I really do think Tudor hit a home run with this watch. In many ways, it’s more similar to the pre-ceramic Subs than the current 114060. So for someone who loves the 14060M yet wants the durability and build quality of a modern watch, I think the BB58 is the perfect choice!
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 04:09 PM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I really like the 58, have said so on several occasions. It has a nice feeling to it with plenty of faux vintage charm. I’d like it as a companion to my 116610LV.

Key being: “as a companion”. The 58 is more of a toy, while the Sub is a machine. I’d always take the Sub for serious sports, as the watch is just more solid. Doesn’t mean I couldn’t enjoy the 58 for what it is during other occasions.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 07:58 PM   #41
Tsuge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdemdede View Post
What you think? The new Black Bay Fifty-Eight from Baselworld 2018 or the well-known Submariner (114060)?

All the old issues are now solved with the new Black Bay. It‘s smaller (imo perfect size), it‘s thinner (11.9mm) and has a nice inhouse movement. What‘s the reason for an Sub instead of a BB58?

Thanks for your answer...

The best reason that you should go sub instead of black bay is (and don’t be mad) the black bay will always live in the submariners shadow knowing that it won’t be a submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:32 PM   #42
exador
Banned

Fifty-Eight for me because it captures the spirit of what the Submariner used to be before it became a piece of luxury man-jewellery.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:42 PM   #43
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
The new Tudor is very nice but the iconic Sub hands down IMHO..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:47 PM   #44
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Fifty-Eight for me because it captures the spirit of what the Submariner used to be before it became a piece of luxury man-jewellery.

This is the answer in my opinion.

14060 vs BB58 I may take the 14060???

114060 vs BB58 I take the BB58 every time.

Hopeful they release a “non gilt” dial/bezel in the future though. And with a date??? Homerun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:57 PM   #45
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Perhaps you 2 just have 2 definitions of "beater"

Both are tough watches for active life styles. Just depends on one's comfort with replacing or subjecting a particular piece to damage. If it's a Sub get it. A BB, get that. If neither, get a G Shock. I won't judge, different watches for different occasions
The sub is a perfect beater watch. In normal situations, the beatings of normal use probably won't even require a polish every service. For abnormal beatings, spend the $100, and have a G-shock.
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:57 PM   #46
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I really do think Tudor hit a home run with this watch. In many ways, it’s more similar to the pre-ceramic Subs than the current 114060. So for someone who loves the 14060M yet wants the durability and build quality of a modern watch, I think the BB58 is the perfect choice!
Bingo. I love that the BB58 is available to satisfy the demand for this.

I'm a bit surprised that the majority of replies so far in this thread haven't been the "own both" answer. To me, the BB58 seems like a watch every TRF member would snap up in a heartbeat.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #47
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I’ve been saying the 6-digit Sub was a mistake for eight years, and that hasn’t changed for me, despite trying it on many times over the years. I’d still choose any older Rolex Sub, older Tudor Sub or probably this new BB58 over the current Sub, although I’d have to try on the BB58 to be totally sure.

In terms of “beaters,” I consider nearly all Rolex and Tudor watches to be beaters, in that I essentially don’t take them off regardless of what I’m doing. That’s kinda the point of them.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #48
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Getting the BB58 here. I just like the look and size.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:26 AM   #49
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Although similar I don’t think they are direct competition...sub no date in the UK £5.5k...BB58 £2.6k. Normal people outside of forums who have £5.5k to spend on a watch won’t consider the BB58 if they are looking at a sub as they will think it’s “cheap” and inferior due to it being massively cheaper. My personal opinion is that the black bay is actually amazing value and is up there with Rolex in terms of quality. Yes the Rolex has a ceramic bezel and glidelock clasp but is that worth £3k extra? To some people probably as it has the show off factor too (due to it being a Rolex).

I think the BB58 is a winner and can’t wait to get mine.
MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:40 AM   #50
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

I have a 114060 as my only watch. But seriously considering a bb58. Would be the perfect beater.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 05:34 AM   #51
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideclock View Post
The sub is a perfect beater watch. In normal situations, the beatings of normal use probably won't even require a polish every service. For abnormal beatings, spend the $100, and have a G-shock.
Well said. I won't wear a Rolex while rollerblading. The idea of metal scraping against concrete is bad.

Could a Rolex handle it? Sure. I don't mind a few character scratches, but deep ones, no thanks.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 05:36 AM   #52
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Sub for me
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 05:53 AM   #53
bp1000
"TRF" Member

The Tudor has personality and character, a black sub has become overworked and clinical.

I know it’s probably the most popular Rolex but I’ve never been keen on the new black sub.

I did however buy a LVC and a blue (sunburst two tone) sub-c. Their dials are just something else.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 05:59 AM   #54
DPE
"TRF" Member

mmmmm lets see ....??????,,,, Sub...
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 06:20 AM   #55
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Honestly they are very different watches at very different price points. The Sub is an icon and about 2.5 times the cost of the BB58. The BB58 isn’t even out yet so nobody knows what it will be like. Sure you can expect quality and a good watch because it’s a Tudor but it’s not a Rolex.
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 06:36 AM   #56
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
The BB58 isn’t even out yet so nobody knows what it will be like. Sure you can expect quality and a good watch because it’s a Tudor but it’s not a Rolex.
The watch has been seen and handled by reviewers at Basel. You can watch hands-on reviews on YouTube. Saying "nobody knows what it will be like" is nonsensical. Certainly the people at the factory know what it will be like.

Obviously it's not a Rolex. That's why it says "Tudor" on the dial.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:20 AM   #57
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Sub is always more accurate in current form. Glidelock. Cerachrom
More accurate? The sub is only more accurate if it's been regulated to be so. I can't see anything in the architecture of the new Tudor movement that makes me think it will not remain accurate over time any better/worse than a modern sub...
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 12:35 PM   #58
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post

This. Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 12:56 PM   #59
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I love Tudor and have two. Not liking the forced or faux patina on the the 58 dial or bezel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 02:11 PM   #60
TudorBeast
Banned

Watch: 114060
Waiting for a BB58 with red bezel.

This would make owning a sub / bb58 a 1-2 combo.
TudorBeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bb58 , black bay fifty-eight