The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: These are intentionally a little provocative. Having fun. Agree w/any of these?
The RG DD40 is so great it’s worth the risk of folks thinking it could be fake or is too flashy 18 26.47%
TT Rolexes are old-man chic and could make a guy in his 30s seem aged-up 9 13.24%
A RG DD40 is hard to style with more casual clothes 5 7.35%
I hate Panerai 18 26.47%
AP is overrated and has reliability issues in addition to expensive service 18 26.47%
If the DD40 is even an option, go for it 31 45.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 April 2018, 10:48 PM   #61
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I suspect it's a case of the Langes and dress watches look superb, but the sports are more versatile and safer to buy, and easier sell.
As I suggested early, for $40k (easy) he can get the black face 1815 Chrono. A blend of dress and sport if you will. If he’s in love with that Lange 1, he’s going to pass out with that one

OP, why aren’t you trying out a Royal Oak Offshore if you like the 15400? Still confused about that.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:12 AM   #62
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I thought you didn’t want dressier stuff, and only more casual? Also, why are you ‘deeply in love’ with the Lange, but it’s not an option? Lol this entire thread is just confusing.
I forgot to include the Lange in the list and can't edit my post any longer. It is very much an option.

And I'm using this thread to chronicle my thinking and narrow down options. I'm putting it in a single thread to avoid making additional ones every time I have a different series of options or thoughts.

Quote:
I highly suggest you think this out quite a bit more before plopping down $30k. You’re kind of all over the place. No offense whatsoever, but you need to narrow it down before you make a purchase you’ll just flip (and lose money).
I am thinking it out. Flying to Vegas on Thursday to see the RO 15400 in person, re-visit some of the Rolex/JLC/Lange options, and get a clearer sense of what direction I want to go.

I think the thread indicates that I am clearly narrowing things down. For example, I've eliminated the Panerai options and took the RG options off. That's an evolution in my thinking that isn't hasty or just "plopping down $30k." There are plenty of other users who have demonstrated an evolution in thinking about what they're interested in over time in either single threads or multiple ones.

In terms of putting ideas/options out there and soliciting feedback, in my personal and work life, I get a lot of value out of discussing decisions/ideas with colleagues, my significant other, friends, etc. I don't have a lot of people in my life who share my watch interest and I find this forum to have plenty of thoughtful people on it who can help me refine my thinking through discussion and feedback. I'm not looking for validation but rather questions, probing, etc to help me clarify and refine my thoughts. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I suspect it's a case of the Langes and dress watches look superb, but the sports are more versatile and safer to buy, and easier sell.
This is sorta the case but not entirely. Of course the Lange and the JLCs look superb-- no disputing that. But after trying on both sport and dress watches yesterday wearing a casual outfit, it was clear that the Lange could be styled fine with a relatively casual look, and the same was generally true for the JLCs. There are plenty of outfits that I can think of that would work great with both of those pieces in a casual look where the watch becomes a focal point.

I'm not purchasing with an eye toward resale value; rather, the reason I'm casting a wider net right now and looking at a broad range of options is that I want whatever I buy to be a lifetime purchase.

Can you explain what you mean by "safer to buy"? Not sure what that means.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 01:15 AM   #63
dmash
"TRF" Member

^this is good then. You must realize, there are plenty of posters who would buy tomorrow, in the midst of all thinking. I’m making sure you think everything through appropriately, as you’ve just reiterated you have intentions of doing. Perhaps you misconstrued my tone, I was simply trying to help/possibly save you money, not be rude.

Seriously though, what about the 1815 chrono? Do you have no interest in this? And what about the Royal Oak Offshore?
Old 9 April 2018, 01:57 AM   #64
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^this is good then. You must realize, there are plenty of posters who would buy tomorrow, in the midst of all thinking. I’m making sure you think everything through appropriately, as you’ve just reiterated you have intentions of doing. Perhaps you misconstrued my tone, I was simply trying to help/possibly save you money, not be rude.

Seriously though, what about the 1815 chrono? Do you have no interest in this? And what about the Royal Oak Offshore?
I get it-- it's hard to convey tone in a forum post, and it's also hard to convey that I'm both excited about this purchase and not an impulsive person. Sometimes too much in the other direction-- way too analytical/deliberative about big stuff. When we buy cars I have a spreadsheet I built that takes in total cost of ownership including insurance, service, gas mileage, etc for a true apples-to-apples comparison. I haven't quite done that for this purchase because it is more emotional than logical, but trust that I'm taking it seriously and not throwing money around randomly!

I'm very much not into the Offshore from seeing pictures online, but when I'm in the Vegas boutique I will certainly be sure to take a look at them. One of the most interesting parts of watch research is how different things look/feel in the metal/flesh than online. A few years ago when I bough my SubC, I was totally not into the watch online, but when I saw it in person I fell in love and am now absolutely delighted by it.

As for the 1815, I am not really into painted numerals. For me, one of the most appealing parts of quality watches are applied markers and how they reflect light and add depth to the dial. I checked it out yesterday but didn't try it on. Now, the movement in that piece is gorgeous and I wish the Grand Lange 1 had as much exposed movement visible, but oh well. The other thing about the Grand Lange 1 versus the 1815 is that the Grand Lange plays with dial texture in subtle ways-- the sunburst finish on the time and seconds subdials versus the flatter black finish of the main dial is really slick. I expect I'll be quite taken with the guilloché on the AP dial when I see it as well-- the polished rehaut and guilloché should do really nice stuff with reflecting light, as well as the interplay of polished and brushed surfaces on the case and bracelet. My attraction to the fluted bezel DJ41 on jubilee is in part for the light reflection and sparkle-- I do like that a lot.
Old 9 April 2018, 02:19 AM   #65
dmash
"TRF" Member

If you love the way light plays, you’re probably going to fall in love with the 15400 then. Not only is the dial beautiful and ‘shimmers’, the bracelet and case are a sight to behold. It is by no means a ‘low-key’ piece, the reflections and contrast are fantastic.
Old 9 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #66
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you love the way light plays, you’re probably going to fall in love with the 15400 then. Not only is the dial beautiful and ‘shimmers’, the bracelet and case are a sight to behold. It is by no means a ‘low-key’ piece, the reflections and contrast are fantastic.
That sounds right up my alley. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I may make an appointment at the boutique just to be sure I can get some time there and see the pieces I want to look at. Fingers crossed they'll have the silver dial 15400 in stock.