The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #1
jed11
"TRF" Member

JLC Geophysic true seconds

Any owners out there? Haven’t done a true search on the forum I admit but seems very little conversation around this watch. Has recently caught my eye again as a potential candidate to add but as my first JLC, tough to not consider the Reverso instead.

But just really appreciate the understated look and the undercover complication involved. The movement and the entire watch as a package is very subtle and under the radar.

Owners chime in and anyone who has contemplated this one and have not pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:44 AM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I had a JLC Geophysique (not true second). I did not bond with it, traded it towards a Patek Calatrava. I own a Reverso Duo, like it very much. Overall, I’ve owned several JLCs and have had only good experiences.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 12:09 PM   #3
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Fell for the JLC brand 18 months ago. The Geophysic True Second was my first haut horology piece. I chose it for exactly the same reasons you mention. Very much under the radar but look closely and its easy to understand why JLC is called the watchmakers watch maker. The finish on the movement is exquisite. I've read the hands and indices are white gold. I love the dead beat complication and once you get past the 'it ticks like a quartz' it all becomes clear. Very few dead beat movements out there and they all cost considerably more than the JLC.
Since it is under the radar its possible to find some nice deals on the used market. I wasn't a fan of the OEM alligator strap (too thin) so got another with thicker padding and it suits the watch more. The butterfly deployant clasp is also very well made.
My latest JLC is a Master Control Sector dial chronograph. Again another unique piece and probably not something you'll see in the wild on someone elses wrist.
I tried to like Reversos but they're not for every wrist. Better to try before you buy. GL with your choice.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
The True Second was on my radar, and I was close to pulling the trigger. I too love the dead beat second complication, very under-appreciated, and jumping hour hand for traveling across time zones. Also love the exhibition case back and finishing of the movement. What dissuaded me is that the model I really wanted was the Geophysic 1958, and while in the same line, they have different personalities. The TS seems a little too dressy for my taste, especially with the alligator strap.

Good luck, get the one that resonates with you!
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:01 AM   #5
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I handled one for an good hour.

The plus:
+ Comfortable and sit nicely on my wrist, even though I wished its like 1mm smaller
+ Watch looks great. I love how it looks. And the dial is actually nicely done.
+ Its a rare complication
+ The movement is very well done, love the full gold rotor
+ Not likely you will see one in the wild unless in a JLC GTG :)

The minus:
- Nothing really. The only thing is that it flies under the radar so well that even some watch guy doesn't know what it is.
- And after its on the wrist for a while, I "felt" like to I have to take the watch off and flip it over to see the movement to truly appreciate it.

At the end of the day, I think its an exceptional time piece. Just that I don't know if I am going to get tired taking the watch on and off the wrist and trying to explain to people how it is not a quartz and how it works. haha.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 08:10 AM   #6
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
At the end of the day, I think its an exceptional time piece. Just that I don't know if I am going to get tired taking the watch on and off the wrist and trying to explain to people how it is not a quartz and how it works. haha.
haha they should have made it a Reverso......

I completely agree 1-1.5mm smaller would have made it perfect aesthetically (at least on my wrist). The thin bezel and white/silver dial make it look larger than the specs would suggest.
Old 25 January 2019, 08:12 AM   #7
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
haha they should have made it a Reverso......

JLC, are you reading this? Come on! Let's get to work. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:17 AM   #8
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I almost bought this but ended up with the Polaris world time. I. do not mind the true second but the second hand did not always line up with the seconds marker on the dial. I had the opportunity to see several of these and none of them were perfect. This drives my ADD nuts..
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Tonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 326934
I’ve also been looking at the true beat as well as the Habring2 Erwin. However, the Erwin does not have a date.
Tonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 11:23 AM   #10
hdfb910
"TRF" Member

I like it. Just received this today from Uncle Fedex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010, Patek Philippe 5170G, Patek Philippe 5227R, Audemar Piguet 15400or, Audemar Piguet 15707ce, Audemar Piguet 26331IP, Audemar 15500 Blue dial, Rolex Pepsi 16710, Rolex Sub 116619LB (Smurf) F.P Journe Platinum Chronometre Souverain, Old School Breitling SuperOcean A17360, Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic Tru Seconds

Instagram: @donpedro_007
hdfb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:43 AM   #11
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
the second hand did not always line up with the seconds marker on the dial. I had the opportunity to see several of these and none of them were perfect. This drives my ADD nuts..
Wow...that is interesting. That would drive me crazy too especially since the whole idea about the dead beat is about the seconds hand! Any owners chime in about this? That alone would drive me away from this one...
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 05:57 AM   #12
mad_1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,JLC,GS,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Wow...that is interesting. That would drive me crazy too especially since the whole idea about the dead beat is about the seconds hand! Any owners chime in about this? That alone would drive me away from this one...
This may be an issue of perspective. If I put my GTS directly below my face (so my eyes are in the same vertical plane), I do think it lines up. Again, you'd also need to control for light source since we are looking at a metal with a high polish and all sides may not be equally lit.

In looking at the images below. When I'm not directly over the watch, it may not line up. And, some one better with geometry and the physics of light can probably explain this better, but I believe that's the issue.

In thinking about it this way, I was able to move past my ADD. And, I don't know. It may not line up in all cases, and I let go of the concern, appreciating it for what is it - a watch that is both understated and complicated, fun to wear on a variety of straps, and fits what I wanted at this point on my watch collecting journey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLC TS.jpg (269.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-04 16.37.51.jpg (275.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-01-01 16.08.19 copy.jpg (288.0 KB, 231 views)
mad_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 09:00 AM   #13
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at it for each of the 60 seconds markers? The examples I have seen it was only off for a few of the markers and different each watch
Old 28 January 2019, 09:24 AM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I used to own one but sold it. It has an interesting complication ( true second ) that goes for a lot more in other watches.What it doesn't do well is in the looks department and after a while gets really dull and boring.
Old 28 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #15
mad_1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,JLC,GS,Omega
Quote:
Have you looked at it for each of the 60 seconds markers? The examples I have seen it was only off for a few of the markers and different each watch
That may be so. With my middle aged eyes, I'm more inclined to believe any irregularities are with me. If I get in good, even light and maintain a similar perspective, I think it does a fine job on lining up. It would be rare to be in that, lab like, situation much. When I want to confirm it's lining up, I get myself in the right position.

The watch isn't for everyone. It's not perfect. That's okay.
mad_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 11:49 AM   #16
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Angle of light source definitely affects its perceived alignment or lack of. A few times I've a had time differentiating between the hand and the shadow it creates on the reflective dial. I don't think there is any slop in the movement that might affect where it lands on different parts of the dial. If that were true inverting the watch would result in the deviation falling on another part of the dial.
Its not a daily wear for me but if it were I could see the how the overall design might be considered a little uninspired. I just wear it when the occasion calls for a more dressy watch or I'm in the mood.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:30 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I almost bought this but ended up with the Polaris world time. I. do not mind the true second but the second hand did not always line up with the seconds marker on the dial. I had the opportunity to see several of these and none of them were perfect. This drives my ADD nuts..
I spent a lot of time evaluating this watch because there is a lot to like.

In the end the one I was looking at did not line up. In fact it was not even close. Once seen you could not ignore it. The AD spoke to the JLC rep who said it was unusual and could be fixed under warranty. I shot a video so I could review it later. The video was shot dead on and about half of the dial was off. No distortion or lighting changed this.

Sorry I am not walking out with a brand new watch only to have to send it in.

I may look at it again but the non-alignment is a real deal killer for me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 04:19 AM   #18
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
...The AD spoke to the JLC rep who said it was unusual and could be fixed under warranty.

Begs the question- if the rep admitted it was something that could be corrected under warranty repair, why wouldn't they just pull the watch and fix it? IMO, leaving it for the eventual purchaser to deal with cheapens the brand.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 04:35 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Begs the question- if the rep admitted it was something that could be corrected under warranty repair, why wouldn't they just pull the watch and fix it? IMO, leaving it for the eventual purchaser to deal with cheapens the brand.
I asked this very question.

I believe they hope a buyer wont notice.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:36 AM   #20
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Habring2 also do some lovely deadbeat movement watches

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:11 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Same here.. I saw three different watches over a period of a couple weeks and they all had some issue with the deadbeat seconds and alignment. Some were better than others.. I think it is inherent and as said-- nuts to buy and sent immediately for correction. Not sure if they can really fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I spent a lot of time evaluating this watch because there is a lot to like.

In the end the one I was looking at did not line up. In fact it was not even close. Once seen you could not ignore it. The AD spoke to the JLC rep who said it was unusual and could be fixed under warranty. I shot a video so I could review it later. The video was shot dead on and about half of the dial was off. No distortion or lighting changed this.

I may look at it again but the non-alignment is a real deal killer for me.
Old 13 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #22
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
It is a personal favorite - thought I do agree with Swearengen - you should think seriously about the Habring2 dead seconds (or see if you can find the Habring2 LAB variation) before pulling the trigger on the JLC. I think the Habring2 is more interesting - the movement is lovely and creatively designed, the Habring family is awesome and it's both more affordable AND rarer.
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 12:50 PM   #23
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
Habring2 also do some lovely deadbeat movement watches

i'm not at all familiar with that brand but i love the look of that watch and the no-date dial. i'm going to read up on that brand for sure.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote