The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #1
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
How many members paid the premiums to avoid AD drama?

I’m not sure I have seen this one before on the forum ? So how many people have paid the premiums for desired watches just to avoid the AD drama. Stuff such as the list , Vip , how much have you spent , deposits etc ? So many stories are posted about AD issues. I was at an AD today that had a hulk I was going to buy the hulk and a rose gold oysterflex Daytona. I declined when they told me they would not discount the Daytona . They told the story about how lucky I am to have the opportunity to buy the hulk. I then asked aren’t you lucky I am willing to spend almost 40k in watches ? What ever happened to that ? We also talked and the store said they will not get a stainless Daytona unless a customer has spent 500k or up. They said the owner of the chain ADS controls the Daytona list and he chooses the chosen one. For the first time ever I said to myself wth? These are just watches. My how the table have turned that we are the lucky ones to be chosen to buy a watch? Bad things will happen to these ADs when the market changes. People will remember how they were treated in these situations, they will then beg us to take watches at a discount. I told them in the future they will be begging customer to take hulk at a discount. Haha I find my whole attitude is changing toward Rolex and these scenarios. So the real question how many of y’all just paid the premium to bypass the chosen one and bundle deals for the ease of no stress get the watch you want ? Please don’t comment you wound never pay over retail for a watch. I get it lots of the members wouldn’t. But I would like to see how any of us just got tired of the AD crap and paid the upcharge? Last note this is not my normal AD. Just one that had a hulk. If your in dallas Texas area I know where there is a hulk the store is closed now but the only way you get it is if you are willing to buy a pl piece or another watch at retail. The main point of the story is to stress how “ lucky I was to be able to buy the hulk “ it’s just a watch nothing more ! I must add the Daytona was 10 percent off by itself but with the hulk no
Discount offered. Also they brought the hulk out in the coffin and said look it still taped it even has Switzerland air stuck in it. Haha

Last edited by dwjez14; 16 February 2019 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Add to story
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:54 AM   #2
JodyHighroller
Banned

I only know of two chains in the DFW area. I believe we may have the same AD and this doesn’t sound like something they’d do.

I’d leave as well if they didn’t offer to discount a PM timepiece at all. Not like these move that fast.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Jeee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326139 skyd
You should get the PM models. It is easier to get,looks better on your wrist and the cost difference is not that big compared to premium SS models price. Just my 2cents. Cheers
Jeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:59 AM   #4
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

I am surprised that they had both watches that you wanted including the near impossible to find Hulk that sells for 3K over retail and you turned them down.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:03 AM   #5
tourspecgolfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 OR
I love the gray market! Get whatever you want when you want or not at all. Better service too!

I'm not going to do a song and dance for some salesperson to give me the honor of buying their product.

I love flaunting my watches to the AD and telling them they should be thankful for the gray market servicing their customers when they can't.

How about building a relationship with the Gray Market dealer? So much better and they can get me multiple brands.
tourspecgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:03 AM   #6
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I would never pay a premium for a watch, so I didn’t...
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:09 AM   #7
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I am surprised that they had both watches that you wanted including the near impossible to find Hulk that sells for 3K over retail and you turned them down.
It’s hard to pay retail for the pm when another ad offered me the same watch at a 10 percent discount.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

A lot of whining recently even when people are being offered watches they want to buy.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:14 AM   #9
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
A lot of whining recently even when people are being offered watches they want to buy.
I wasn’t 100 percent on the Daytona. That was for my wife she wants the stainless steel more than oyster flex so it was settling. Whether my “whining “ is about is I must of heard how lucky I was 50 times. They even brought the watch out in the coffin sealed and said look it still has Switzerland air trapped in the case. Really ? So with that being said I wasn’t going to buy a Daytona for full retail when I had been offered the watch for a 10 percent discount in past. It just wasn’t offered with the hulk
Old 16 February 2019, 11:15 AM   #10
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
At the end of the day ... everyone will pay extras for the BLNR, BLRO, HULK, 500C etc.

98% of people that bought the hard to get pieces are whales.
They have bought multiple high end watches and jewelry at MSRP to get a 500C.
So, technically, they did pay extras.

Most people that don't need a Day/Date at MSRP to get on a phantom list.
Will consider paying extra to get a watch they want.

You will pay extras one way or another.

The 2% that bought high demanded pieces without any previous purchases :
1) knows someone
2) super lucky
3) lying

I paid extras for my Daytona cuz there are too many high rollers in my area.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:16 AM   #11
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
It’s hard to pay retail for the pm when another ad offered me the same watch at a 10 percent discount.
I hear you, but at least they offered the Hulk. My understanding is that most AD’s are saving these for VIP clients if they even get any to begin with. And this was an AD you did not seem to have a relationship with.

Coffin sealed is pretty cool. Nobody has even tried it on. Fresh from the factory. Some collectors get excited about this stuff.

If you buy these same watches on the grey market, close to new as possible, how much would that cost you and with what kind of warranty?

But you have to go with your gut and do what feels right to you.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:18 AM   #12
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourspecgolfer View Post
I love the gray market! Get whatever you want when you want or not at all. Better service too!

I'm not going to do a song and dance for some salesperson to give me the honor of buying their product.

I love flaunting my watches to the AD and telling them they should be thankful for the gray market servicing their customers when they can't.

How about building a relationship with the Gray Market dealer? So much better and they can get me multiple brands.
Thank you this was a straight and simple answer I was looking for and I really appreciate it. I have bought 2 watches from david sw. He didn’t play bs games I’m just asking if other members get tired of the AD Bs? The games they play etc. these are just watches nothing more
Old 16 February 2019, 11:22 AM   #13
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
At the end of the day ... everyone will pay extras for the BLNR, BLRO, HULK, 500C etc.

98% of people that bought the hard to get pieces are whales.
They have bought multiple high end watches and jewelry at MSRP to get a 500C.
So, technically, they did pay extras.

Most people that don't need a Day/Date at MSRP to get on a phantom list.
Will consider paying extra to get a watch they want.

You will pay extras one way or another.

The 2% that bought high demanded pieces without any previous purchases :
1) knows someone
2) super lucky
3) lying

I paid extras for my Daytona cuz there are too many high rollers in my area.
Great answer and thanks. What I am thinking is I will start to pay the premium if I demand a non available piece. All others can be bought from grey sellers at a discount besides these ghost pieces. In the end ton of cash to be saved then trying to build this relationship buying all these other watches and paying taxes to be chosen for the stainless pieces. So many great pieces besides them. Let’s say I
Bought the oyster Daytona from gray for discount price and the hulk at the premium I would probably save a little with tax and bypass this BSSSS. I think after today i have just had it with The nonsense
Old 16 February 2019, 11:24 AM   #14
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I hear you, but at least they offered the Hulk. My understanding is that most AD’s are saving these for VIP clients if they even get any to begin with. And this was an AD you did not seem to have a relationship with.

Coffin sealed is pretty cool. Nobody has even tried it on. Fresh from the factory. Some collectors get excited about this stuff.

But you have to go with your gut and do what feels right to you.
This is one of the stores out of a chain I buy from. This is not the one I bought my last 4 from. My normal store sold me black gmt , polar explorer 2, datejust 41 blue face and my root beer without asking me to spend 1.00 more. I just happen to stop In and they told me they had a hulk. All my other watches have coffins with them also so that is Nice
Old 16 February 2019, 11:24 AM   #15
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Wouldn’t paying retail for both pieces still be cheaper than going grey market? Sounds like your either holding ground on principle or kicking tires. Personally, I could never pay over retail out of principle too.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:25 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

How many members paid the premiums to avoid AD drama?

Quote:
I have bought 2 watches from david sw. He didn’t play bs games I’m just asking if other members get tired of the AD Bs? The games they play etc. these are just watches nothing more

All the TRF TS I have used (about 10 thus far) share a common trait of decency dealing with buyers here.

But I think you’re lumping all ADs into a single bucket unfairly.

BTW, did your keyboard come with one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:26 AM   #17
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
All the TRF TS I have used (about 10 thus far) share a common trait of decency dealing with buyers here.

But I think you’re lumping all ADs into a single bucket unfairly.

BTW, did your keyboard come with one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My normal AD is good this one sucks. No my return button on my
iPhone is broken.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:45 AM   #18
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
My normal AD is good this one sucks.

If you wander into the world of random ADs in today’s market condition, you will have many stories like this.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:56 AM   #19
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Thank you this was a straight and simple answer I was looking for and I really appreciate it. I have bought 2 watches from david sw. He didn’t play bs games I’m just asking if other members get tired of the AD Bs? The games they play etc. these are just watches nothing more
Exactly they are just watches nothing more. People going stupid over these non life essential items.

Dont get me wrong I love watches but seriously all this mucking around, sucking up to ADs and crawling and begging by some members to spend $10k is just laughable.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:03 PM   #20
Recht
"TRF" Member

I'd be concerned that some day in the not too distant future "Rolex" will become known as a brand that a fool overpaid for.
Recht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:03 PM   #21
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
I would pay a small premium for a hard to get piece, but nothing like the prices being asked for the SS Daytonas. BTW, what would you do with two Hulks?
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:05 PM   #22
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
I do agree with OP in the sense that some AD’s think that their s**t doesn’t stink. The current market conditions are extremely favorable for them. Unfortunately some fail to understand is that the market is the market - the same gray dealer that will discount a PM piece will charge a premium for a hot SS piece. If you want a hot SS watch and don’t wish to wait in line or spend an arbitrary amount of money at an AD you will have to pay the current market price. Paying the gray “premium” is a lot cheaper & easier than buying PM pieces at list in order to get a coveted SS piece. The only way this makes sense is if you get a yellow gold DD at list to get a Daytona C at list. Otherwise pay the market price if you want it today, and if you’re feeling that badly about paying a premium, guess what?! You can always sell it for a similar amount of money that you paid unless the market dictates otherwise.
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:07 PM   #23
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
I have two modern Rolex.

1. 2 year old subc. Paid $7500.00 out the door. No tax. Retail.

2. Bought a brand new Exp II from grey with all box and papers AND stickers intact for $7750 about 6 months ago.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:13 PM   #24
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
I have two modern Rolex.

1. 2 year old subc. Paid $7500.00 out the door. No tax. Retail.

2. Bought a brand new Exp II from grey with all box and papers AND stickers intact for $7750 about 6 months ago.
Forgot to mention that the subc came out of the coffin before I knew the term and though they tried to do me a solid and remove the stickers for me there were at least five or six left that I discovered over the next six months. I called the coffin a plastic shipping case.

1. From AD

2. Grey
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:21 PM   #25
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
Over the last 20 months I've purchased two Rolexes from my now AD, a BLNR and a white Daytona C. No drama, and treated with respect.

I purchased a blue YM five years ago from a gray market dealer at a nice discount, but would much prefer buying from an AD. While I don't blame those purchasing Rolexes at a premium, I have no plans to ever do so. I personally feel the grays are now contributing to the shortage of Rolexes at ADs.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:25 PM   #26
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Well spoken!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Exactly they are just watches nothing more. People going stupid over these non life essential items.

Dont get me wrong I love watches but seriously all this mucking around, sucking up to ADs and crawling and begging by some members to spend $10k is just laughable.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:29 PM   #27
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Wow! Rolex customers now have to spend half a million just to get the SS Daytona.

To put that in perspective, average american income is $61,000, median saving is $11,000 and many don't have retirement saving...That's crazy!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:36 PM   #28
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseattle View Post
Over the last 20 months I've purchased two Rolexes from my now AD, a BLNR and a white Daytona C. No drama, and treated with respect.

I purchased a blue YM five years ago from a gray market dealer at a nice discount, but would much prefer buying from an AD. While I don't blame those purchasing Rolexes at a premium, I have no plans to ever do so. I personally feel the grays are now contributing to the shortage of Rolexes at ADs.

Mark

That is awesome man. Glad to hear someone had a good experience
Old 16 February 2019, 12:40 PM   #29
vette5451
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recht View Post
I'd be concerned that some day in the not too distant future "Rolex" will become known as a brand that a fool overpaid for.
Agree
vette5451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:43 PM   #30
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

As others said, they’re just watches. I’m sure times will change.