The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2014, 07:02 AM   #91
sjstrm
"TRF" Member

Great wine 😇👍

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk
sjstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 08:30 AM   #92
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Tasting time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141116_155019.jpg (51.2 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141116_154942.jpg (66.1 KB, 288 views)
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 08:38 AM   #93
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Tasting time!

La Crema and Cambria are our two 'house' Pinots. Very tasty and just under $20/btl here.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 02:16 PM   #94
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
La Crema and Cambria are our two 'house' Pinots. Very tasty and just under $20/btl here.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)
It was pretty good, and for the price, a great option!
Old 20 November 2014, 02:17 PM   #95
GerardoG
Banned

Boceto today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 20 November 2014, 02:19 PM   #96
GerardoG
Banned

Posting from iPad...hate it that pics appear sideways mods, please help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 23 November 2014, 03:15 PM   #97
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
Wow..great group shots guys. The wine looks lovely. I didnt know that Apothic made a Dark. I need to start stocking up on wine for the Christmas season, which is now..LOL I've got a few listed in my list. The Boceto has a nice ruby colour. I think I'm going to be sleeping for the month of January so I can dry out from all this booze. LOL
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 04:50 PM   #98
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Nice dinner at home tonight. Bison steaks, baby bella risotto, and grilled asparagus served with a 2000 Chateaunuef da Pape.

Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 23 November 2014, 05:12 PM   #99
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Simply...The Wine Thread

We had a few friends over for mushroom, bacon, blue cheese burgers. Drank a few bottles and we watched Manny Pacquiao fight Chris Algieri on PPV.

We really liked the wines in this order;
1. Benziger
2. Chateau St Jean
3. Estancia

We will definitely be getting more Benziger and letting it age although is it did taste very good after it was decanted for a few hours. Kind of cool they are a certified sustainable grape growing producer too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060805.jpg (62.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg P1060799.jpg (90.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg P1060801.jpg (65.5 KB, 261 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 11:42 AM   #100
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
A dinner party with friends last night yielded this wonderful Napa Valley wine brought back from California by the son of the host.
We don't get the opportunity to drink much top class California wine so this was a rare treat. It was decanted 45 mins beforehand and first taste was dominated by impressions of lively acid and oak and the promise of the complexity that displayed itself over the following hour or so. As the wine softened it tossed up an almost endless list of impressions that included cassis, vanilla, leather, cedar, smokey notes, plum and black cherry. We were fascinated by the complexity and intensity of the wine and everyone rated it as in their top 3 for the year.

The wine was consumed after the main course which was Baked Atlantic Salmon and asparagus in a Balsamic sauce on a bed of mashed potato with pickled glazed lemon.
A superbly aged 8 yr old Australian Semillon accompanied the Salmon.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."

Last edited by Rock; 30 November 2014 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: add photo
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 12:42 AM   #101
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

The Freemark Abby Bosche is a great wine. It's a good reminder too, as I think we only have one bottle left in the cellar.

Old 1 December 2014, 01:41 AM   #102
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
While I'm in the craft beer biz, red wine is my drink of choice.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2014, 05:46 AM   #103
Marcela
"TRF" Member

Last night I had a delightful dinner with my friends, and we all enjoyed
2005 Chateau La Gaffeliere, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-556.jpg (107.3 KB, 232 views)
Marcela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2014, 03:00 AM   #104
SearChart
TechXpert

Drakenkloof 2012 tonight, South African red wine blend of merlot and cabernet sauvignon, €5,- per bottle.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 03:42 AM   #105
SearChart
TechXpert

What do you wine people think of crew caps on bottles for 'everyday' wine?
I usually buy one bottle a week in my supermarket when doing groceries and because I'm a student I don't really buy wines over €5,- for a regular week, and all of these cheaper wines have a crew cap or a fake cork.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 03:55 AM   #106
dexvd
"TRF" Member

My current favourite grape juices:

Attending both an ice wine festival with snow shoeing and sampling of all the local vineyards ice wines in a few weeks and then a rare and fine wines sampling a few weeks after. Excited to try some new stuff.

The gf and I have started a wine journal as well, recording things like vintage, vineyard and grape and then writing down what we could pick up, a rating out of 10 and comparing it to a sip from another wine variety (the end of the previous bottle or the start of the next).
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 04:20 AM   #107
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Just picked up my 8 bottles of 2010 Vietti, (not pictured 2 bottles of Rocche). I get an allotment every year directly from Lucca Currado, I met him at a dinner here in the U.S. in the 90's and have been to his home and winery 3 times since. It's my favorite part of Italy and oh my god do I love the wines of Piedmonte!!!

Vietti was one of the first to experiment with and release single vineyard Barolo's and the results are some of the most age worthy and singular expressions of Piedmontese wines there are! If you get a shot to purchase any of these single vineyard releases grab them because they are scarce and highly sought after!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 vietti 1.jpg (61.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 vietti 2.jpg (58.6 KB, 197 views)
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 05:45 AM   #108
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Simply...The Wine Thread

Oh my. Where do I even start here!!!! We just got back from a WONDERFUL Napa trip over the holidays and re-stocked the cellar.

These are some of my favorites right now that we brought back...

09 Trefethen Halo

Then this...

This one is a GREAT bottle to open up whenever!!!

I have some others...from Miner, Hill Family, and Pride...and a few other gems. But these are a few of the favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 05:53 AM   #109
GerardoG
Banned

Tried this last week, a GREAT option!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20150115-WA021.jpg (75.7 KB, 196 views)
Old 20 January 2015, 06:03 AM   #110
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
What do you wine people think of crew caps on bottles for 'everyday' wine?
I usually buy one bottle a week in my supermarket when doing groceries and because I'm a student I don't really buy wines over €5,- for a regular week, and all of these cheaper wines have a crew cap or a fake cork.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a screw cap - actually - studies have shown that screw caps actually preserve wine better over time than real and synthetic corks...

Old 20 January 2015, 07:58 AM   #111
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Any recommendations for Leon Millot wines? It is my favourite grape varietal but isn't a very popular grape at least production wise it seems.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 09:55 AM   #112
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
Any recommendations for Leon Millot wines? It is my favourite grape varietal but isn't a very popular grape at least production wise it seems.

I think I read somewhere that there are some vintners in New York that produce some Leon Millot wines...

Old 20 January 2015, 10:04 AM   #113
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Just picked up my 8 bottles of 2010 Vietti, (not pictured 2 bottles of Rocche). I get an allotment every year directly from Lucca Currado, I met him at a dinner here in the U.S. in the 90's and have been to his home and winery 3 times since. It's my favorite part of Italy and oh my god do I love the wines of Piedmonte!!!

Vietti was one of the first to experiment with and release single vineyard Barolo's and the results are some of the most age worthy and singular expressions of Piedmontese wines there are! If you get a shot to purchase any of these single vineyard releases grab them because they are scarce and highly sought after!!
Very nice

I'm still trying to develop a taste for Barolo's. I've had more misses than hits.

Picked these up a few years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73245_460550754267_1173030_n.jpg (91.6 KB, 187 views)
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 10:54 AM   #114
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Very nice

I'm still trying to develop a taste for Barolo's. I've had more misses than hits.

Picked these up a few years ago
I don't know very much about Borgogno. I stick to a few producers that I know very well and make wines in the style that I prefer. For the exact reason you state, there are a lot of misses out there and even the misses are expensive.

That is a great vintage for Piedmont, one of the best in the last 15 years. The 2004's I have are tempting to open now but honestly they should sit another 5 to 10 years to fully resolve and come into their own. JMHO
Old 20 January 2015, 11:44 AM   #115
SenseiSeagalMMA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
My girlfriend and I would really love to enjoy wine but have not had luck so far. We typically eat a lot of red meat in and out of the house but have yet to find a wine that we can take more than a sip of along with it. We've been offered Merlot at a few steakhouses here in the Tampa area but always feel like it is too bitter.

Would anyone be kind enough to make a recommendation for a first time wine drinker?
SenseiSeagalMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 12:11 PM   #116
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiSeagalMMA View Post
My girlfriend and I would really love to enjoy wine but have not had luck so far. We typically eat a lot of red meat in and out of the house but have yet to find a wine that we can take more than a sip of along with it. We've been offered Merlot at a few steakhouses here in the Tampa area but always feel like it is too bitter.

Would anyone be kind enough to make a recommendation for a first time wine drinker?
There are very few absolutes in wine, but I absolutely refuse to drink Merlot, it's a varietal meant for blending IMHO.

Seriously though I prefer Cab or Syrah with red meat. Any sommelier should be able to suggest a good domestic cab, or Syrah from down under.
Old 20 January 2015, 12:39 PM   #117
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Quote:

It's all ahead of you. A lifetime of wine pleasure.
Most people get into wine via the lighter, more accessible young fruity reds and then expand their repertoire as their palate becomes more educated.
A quality Merlot is a good place to start and certainly not to be treated with contempt, although cheaper ones are often very lacking in character.
To start however, you need to find a good wine merchant with a skilled wine manager who can listen to you and guide your wine journey. Somewhere that will do in-house tastings so that you don't need to buy a bottle to find out whether you like it. Tastings help you tune-in to something you like.
Good luck.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 12:47 PM   #118
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with Rock about tastings, they are key to finding what you like and to honing in on the styles and varietals of wine that speak to you!!
Old 20 January 2015, 02:47 PM   #119
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:

Its all about personal tastes. I respectfully disagree about Merlot being a blending grape. There are some fantastic Merlot with a lot of depth and character without blending. California Merlot tend to have a higher alcohol content which may taste bitter to some. But no other grape can produce those velvety tannins that a Merlot is capable of. When you find one of those, like a Pride Mountain or Pahlmeyer, it will change your life. On the lower end of the price range, try Neyers Merlot. It has similar characteristics as those two

I agree that you should find a good wine merchant who can make suggestions based on your tastes. Make sure you share what you like and dont like. Unfortunately, you will go through several glasses/bottles trying to find out what suits your palette. As your taste for wine develops, so will your preferences. What tasted great to you when you first started drinking wine might not appeal to you later.

Most of all, enjoy experimenting and learning.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2015, 11:04 PM   #120
SenseiSeagalMMA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have my 30th birthday coming up next week so we will be out and about for it. Will be a great chance to experiment!
SenseiSeagalMMA is offline   Reply With Quote