The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Luv rolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ,SD 4000,LV
Brushed finish look..?

hello guys, i have noticed in the edge of the case back of my sub c an inconsistency in the brushed finish (the circular brushed finish) which i doubt it was from me (BTW iam the 1st owner) , also some very minor scratch in the back of the case and one on the brecelet.

my question is if i send it to the AD to clean these parts by brushing does it mean to take off metal or brushing is a different process than polishing????

thanks
Luv rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
If I understanding your question correctly, yes metal will be removed but not very much(if the scratches are not too deep). Why not just live with them as it will happen again anyways and the watch will get polished when you have a service done!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Luv rolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ,SD 4000,LV
i can live with them, but i want to make sure and understand why in the brushing process a metal remove, i mean its not like polishing i just want to make the brushed lines to be paralell and clean without any scratch (i mean a very tiny ones that can hardly be seen)

BUT the one on the edge of the case back actually annoying me as i think its the factory defect. as the lines on one side is not the same (they go towords down). i dont think my wrist can do it
Luv rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2012, 09:50 PM   #4
MonBK
Banned

The metal removed will be equivilant to a fart in space.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Although I think I would wait like Leo recomended this is something I found when conducting a search on the internet in regards to polishing and brushing.

Polishing
Both grinding and polishing involve the deliberate removal of metal from the surface using an abrasive. The resulting surface will have some directional marks, partially dependent on the grit size of abrasive used. In the case of the very fine abrasives used in polishing it should only be possible to see any 'directional marks' under a microscope.

Brushing
Although brushing normally involves the use of a fine abrasive action on the surface of the metal, in contrast to grinding and polishing there is no deliberate attempt to remove a surface layer. Rather it is modified by the action of bristles or a nylon fabric medium (Scotch-Brite) that may have some fine abrasive or lubricant included.
Although it can be a single stage process, following a suitable polishing preparation stage, brushing can be done in several stages to obtain a particular finish.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote