The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 August 2017, 07:54 AM   #1
AID_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex Date Model 1500 from 1977 complete restoration and modification

I thought I share a story of my very first Rolex watch. But before I do, I think I need to introduce myself. Hi, I am Ed and I am a hobbyist watchmaker. At some point I've got a pretty serious training, and I dig inside watches regularly. Although mostly I work with vintage inexpensive watches, I've serviced some high end movements including number of Rolex, Omega and some others. I could probably go in business as a watchmaker, but I am comfortable in different trade, so I keep watchmaking as a hobby.

Exactly 10 years ago right around this time I was searching Ebay for something else and came across a Rolex Date. What drove my attention, other than very low price, was the fact that the watch was sold in pieces. In particular there was a picture of a watch case with dial hands and movement in pretty tired condition, no case back. Separately there was a picture of automatic winding assembly and a case back and then a picture of a detached bracelet. I have no idea why and how someone opened the watch and removed automatic assembly. But description stated that watch is not running and sold as is. Judging by pictures all parts were there but overall condition of the watch was poor. So, I won that action for a very little (considering it was a Rolex) price and thought it would be my first Rolex watch and a complete restoration project. At the time I was still fairly new to watchmaking and I was intrigued by this opportunity.

When the watch (or a pieces of it I should say) arrived I evaluated its condition. Dial was ok, but had spots on it, so did hands. Movement seemed to be unmolested, but very dirty. When I carefully removed the balance I saw that one of the screws from automatic winding assembly is stock inside the movement. When I removed that screw the watch to my surprise started ticking. So I started restoring this Rolex little by little. First I serviced it and made sure it runs as it should. Then I replaced the main spring and worked on accuracy. In the end I was able to make it as accurate as a modern Rolex with only 4 to 6 seconds error in all main positions. Then I found an original Rolex dial, same color as mine was, but in good condition. I relumed it and replaced hands as well, so it could glow like a new watch should. Then after a while I was able to find some parts, such as replacement rotor, since mine showed signs of ageing. And so on and so forth. At some point I replaced the crystal with a sapphire, as I was tired of polishing scratches off plastic. Soon I realized that this Rolex became my every day watch.

Since then I bought and sold a number of Rolex watches. I still own a Cellini 4243 in white gold, which I wear as a dress watch. But most of the time you'll find me wearing this old Date. It looks as good as new and with exception of a sapphire crystal has all original Rolex parts, including an original Oyster bracelet. For it's 10 years anniversary in my possession I decided customize it, to make it more fun to wear. So, I added custom end pieces, leather strap and German made see-though case back as well as Rolex buckle. I think I like results, especially since all these modifications are reversible. What do you guys think??? :-)

AID_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 07:59 AM   #2
machob55
"TRF" Member

Nice job!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:45 AM   #3
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Wow. Nice one.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:04 AM   #5
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Great story! The watch looks terrific!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2017, 11:12 AM   #6
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Wow looks great! Love the blue croc strap!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:46 AM   #7
faldoc
"TRF" Member

Nice job... I like my 34mm Date...
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:54 AM   #8
danbrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Awesome. Would love to have the watchmaker skill. Can you talk a bit more about the specialized training you received? I'm sure there's an awesome story there...
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Seaward
"TRF" Member

Beautifully done and great story!
116710BLNR
116500LN
Seaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Joemck
"TRF" Member

Watch: And listen
Well done! Looks sharp and the strap is wicked cool!
Joemck is offline   Reply With Quote