The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 December 2017, 12:13 PM   #1
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

AP ROO elephant 42mm elephant 26470ST.OO

Hi all,

I’ve been a Rolex Lover forever, but I’ve flipped and sold so many that I’m tired of them now. Don’t get me wrong I love them but just fancy something different so I cleared my collection (partially) and am making room for an AP ROO 26470ST.OO. I wanted to get opinions of owning such a watch vs a Rolex Daytona or sport Rolex by an AP vet who can comment on fit, finish, feel, reliability, value etc. are they expensive to service and can dings and scartches be easily polished out?

If anyone can chime in would really appreciate it! What’s a good price to pay for an AP elephant ROO? Are they easy to sell vs a Rolex and do they go up in price like Rolex do?

Thanks in advance to all that chime in. Just a WIS trying to change up the collection! Also does the series of the watch and year of watch effect price?

Best to all and happy hunting!

MWAS
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Bryan23N
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26400SO
Reliability wise, don't expect anything too near a Rolex... the offshores fit as they're meant to; an eye catching oversized sportswatch. Really depends on how big your wrists are but anything over 6.5 inches should be good. Finishing is spectacular from the front and back. I wouldn't worry too much about the polishing and scratches because they happen to pretty much all steel watches anyway. Save aside some cash for the servicing if you plan to get it pre-owned. But make no mistake... you'll love the watch. Congrats in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan23N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 01:01 PM   #3
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Thansk Bryan appreciate advise!
Old 12 December 2017, 05:24 PM   #4
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Rolex to AP seems like a transition many make. I know I did.

Finish? AP hands down. There is no comparison there.

Robustness? It depends on who you ask. Although, I think more folks would say that Rolex is more robust and reliable. Luckily, I never had any issues with my AP's or any of the Rolex models I've owned.

Service cost is relative. If you think of the value difference of an AP versus a sport model Rolex, it's not that big of a difference.

Either way, enjoy the hunt and welcome to the world of AP.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 06:56 AM   #5
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Thanks micky
Old 13 December 2017, 10:02 AM   #6
watchwithlove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post
Hi all,

I’ve been a Rolex Lover forever, but I’ve flipped and sold so many that I’m tired of them now. Don’t get me wrong I love them but just fancy something different so I cleared my collection (partially) and am making room for an AP ROO 26470ST.OO. I wanted to get opinions of owning such a watch vs a Rolex Daytona or sport Rolex by an AP vet who can comment on fit, finish, feel, reliability, value etc. are they expensive to service and can dings and scartches be easily polished out?

If anyone can chime in would really appreciate it! What’s a good price to pay for an AP elephant ROO? Are they easy to sell vs a Rolex and do they go up in price like Rolex do?

Thanks in advance to all that chime in. Just a WIS trying to change up the collection! Also does the series of the watch and year of watch effect price?

Best to all and happy hunting!

MWAS
I have seen them for sale for $18K brand new
Used, I'd say $16-16.5K for a mint condition 2014+ dated one
watchwithlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 04:18 PM   #7
ros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
The newer elephant (one listed on DavidSWs site) is just under $20K, those just got released this year afaik.

The older ones you can pick up in the $15-17K mark.
ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 08:56 PM   #8
Uros
"TRF" Member

Have elephant for more then 2 years now, a lot of daily wear. Its amazing piece, wearing it on both leather and steel bracelet. You will for sure enjoy it, I still cant get my eyes off it!
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 10:25 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

can't comment on price as that is location dependent but its by far my favorite 42mm ROO chronograph. I liked the 44mm Ti more and thats the only reason I dont have one but its a great looking piece.

Resale isnt terrible but im not aware of Rolex (generally) going up in value like you said either. Maybe the SS daytona but thats not really appreciation but a supply/demand imbalance. You are not going to make money when you sell it, but you won't lose a ton either if you buy right.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:25 AM   #10
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all who have commented really appreciate the input.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:26 AM   #11
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

I’m going to pull the trigger I’ll upload images when I get it!
Old 14 December 2017, 02:30 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Good decision, finish and feel is above Rolex as per price, and Elephant is a nice choice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote