The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 October 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Blake686
"TRF" Member

Appraisal in Philadelphia

Thanks in advance for any help! I am looking to get my SD appraised so I can get it insured, but a few places I have called wither don't do appraisals(which is surprising as they are dealers) or want to keep the watch for a few weeks.

Anyone know anywhere good in Philadelphia to get an appraisal?

Thanks!
Blake686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 01:27 PM   #2
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Hamilton Jewelers in Princeton, NJ will do it.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
What about Govberg? Also, my AD Murphy jewelers has a location at the shops at saucon valley by Allentown. If you want to drive 45 min to 1 hour they will do it!
liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 10:35 PM   #4
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I don't know where in Philly you are looking, but I got my Sub appraised at Fred H. Straub jewelers in Abington. They did it while I waited. Very nice place.
Old 18 October 2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Blake686
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all of the replies. I actually called Govberg and they said no. Another jeweler wanted to keep it about a week. I will check Fred Straub, its a little ways away but I know where that is.

I am in Wynnewood if that helps. I also have a jeweler in Jersey my wife goes to way too much, he may do it as a favor.
Blake686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 03:01 PM   #6
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
Did you try the AD on west Chester pike? Name starts with a B.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 06:13 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake686 View Post
Thanks in advance for any help! I am looking to get my SD appraised so I can get it insured, but a few places I have called wither don't do appraisals(which is surprising as they are dealers) or want to keep the watch for a few weeks.

Anyone know anywhere good in Philadelphia to get an appraisal?

Thanks!
What some charge for a appraisal are bordering on the ridiculous many have no idea about Rolex watches.All they do is just look up the price on the net and charge you a premium price for it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 09:03 PM   #8
shgems
"TRF" Member

I was going to start a thread on how would you like to be a AD, invest or sign loans for a million $, pay employees, staff a watchmaker, etc. and have people come in for service like a link adjustment on a watch they just got online from an out of state vendor to save 5%.
For now to stay on topic why do these stores turn down your insurance value statement job, tell you 2 weeks, or want to charge a lot just to look on a piece of paper for a value?
I know Govberg from when they were on Jeweler's row and I can't speak for them or any other store but here are a few reasons. If you purchased the watch from them this would not be an issue. If it is an old watch or your Dads left to you tell them that it may make a difference. If your a good customer and spend money there that always helps.There is no watchmaker in store because it is too expensive to pay them to sit there all day and they need to have him or her open the watch. If they come in 1x per week to pick up and drop off jobs = 2 weeks turn around. If the watchmaker does work in store maybe 1 day per week he will be told to do customer jobs first. A lot of stores are hurting from people buying out of state. Some may try and earn you as a customer by turning this insurance statement right away but chances are you won't come back either way because you already never came in to buy the item in your hand. Also the store has to pay insurance to cover insurance statements and their name is on that paper they sign so it's not as simple as looking up a value.
shgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 11:05 PM   #9
xlr8by
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake686 View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. I actually called Govberg and they said no. Another jeweler wanted to keep it about a week. I will check Fred Straub, its a little ways away but I know where that is.

I am in Wynnewood if that helps. I also have a jeweler in Jersey my wife goes to way too much, he may do it as a favor.
What about Bernie Robbins in Radnor? They used to be in Ardmore and are an AD, I'm not sure if they do appraisals or not but its worth a shot as its right down the street.
xlr8by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2012, 04:50 AM   #10
mhaedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116264
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8by View Post
What about Bernie Robbins in Radnor? They used to be in Ardmore and are an AD, I'm not sure if they do appraisals or not but its worth a shot as its right down the street.
I know this thread is a few months old, but I figured I would post to help anyone who stumbles upon it. I just got off the phone with Bernie Robbins. They were incredibly helpful and do appraisals with no appointment. I was unable to find anyone else in the Philadelphia area who was even remotely close to being helpful. Govbergs was outright rude, and referred me to someone who didn't appraise watches at all.
mhaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2012, 04:54 AM   #11
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaedo View Post
I know this thread is a few months old, but I figured I would post to help anyone who stumbles upon it. I just got off the phone with Bernie Robbins. They were incredibly helpful and do appraisals with no appointment. I was unable to find anyone else in the Philadelphia area who was even remotely close to being helpful. Govbergs was outright rude, and referred me to someone who didn't appraise watches at all.
Thanks, I need to get this done too. Did Bernie Robbins give you a price?
Old 10 February 2012, 06:12 AM   #12
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I called Hamra here in Scottsdale, a full service AD that has a huge Rolex inventory and they charge..........$150 per watch

azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2012, 07:00 AM   #13
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I called Hamra here in Scottsdale, a full service AD that has a huge Rolex inventory and they charge..........$150 per watch

this is what ROLEX CANADA charges as well and they want the watch for 2 weeks.

i personally feel that in order for a watch to be properly appraised it must be properly authenticated as well. All kinds of 'shady' appraisals out there and some insurance companies will do a 'check' on these jewellers who are doing the 'appraisals' to make sure they are legit. Im sure some jewellers dont want the hassle of being accused by insurance companies of handing out appraisals on 'fake' rolexes. I would only accept an appraisal from the rolex AD who sold the watch OR ROLEX themselves.
swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote