The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 October 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Time Keeping on New SubC Date 116610LN

So I purchased my SubC Date Ref 116610LN on 9th September 2017, brand new from my local AD.

Absolutely love the watch, wear it every day, and to sleep on most nights. The watch is advertised at -2/+2 accuracy per day, however I have been consistently getting -3 to -4 seconds per day since I bought it.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned. I manually wind the watch every Sunday as well, and adjust the time. It is always -21 to -22 seconds off by the end of the week.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated, and any advise.
Old 31 October 2017, 09:30 PM   #2
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
You shouldn't. -3 or-4 may not be as advertised but is still within COSC spec. And as long as gain / loss are consistent, there's nothing wrong with the watch.
Also, your wearing pattern could account for such variations.
Normally you shouldn't need to wind your watch at all. If you don't wear it over long periods, to the point it winds down a lot, then this could be reason.
Old 31 October 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
These watches need a little running in time like car. Their timekeeping can vary quite a lot over the first few months. Leave it be.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 31 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah...I would watch it for a while and see if it improves. A regulation is a relatively painless operation, but I wouldn't want to go that route if you don't need to.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:02 AM   #5
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

My sub would also run a little slower than my other watches. I find that laying it down flat when I sleep helps it keep time close to spec. If I leave it on it's crown or the 9 o'clock side it'll lose a couple seconds. Try that first and see if it works.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:04 AM   #6
Syed117
"TRF" Member

It's up to you.

There are people on both sides.

Those like me that don't really care as long as it's consistent and not way off. -3 or -4 isn't bad at all and I personally wouldn't do anything about it.

Or some people are incredibly bothered and insist that it should fall in the -2/+2 no matter what because that's what Rolex says and it's pretty much the worst thing in the world if a new Rolex is off by a few seconds.

If you're close to an RSC, getting it regulated isn't an issue. If you're not close and have to send it in, being without your new watch is never fun.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:05 AM   #7
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
My sub would also run a little slower than my other watches. I find that laying it down flat when I sleep helps it keep time close to spec. If I leave it on it's crown or the 9 o'clock side it'll lose a couple seconds. Try that first and see if it works.
I have found that the day's I don't wear my watch to sleep, it performs a second or two better than usual.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:07 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Mine was like yours in first months now it's perfect. Wait a bit more.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:25 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ8 View Post
So I purchased my SubC Date Ref 116610LN on 9th September 2017, brand new from my local AD.

Absolutely love the watch, wear it every day, and to sleep on most nights. The watch is advertised at -2/+2 accuracy per day, however I have been consistently getting -3 to -4 seconds per day since I bought it.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned. I manually wind the watch every Sunday as well, and adjust the time. It is always -21 to -22 seconds off by the end of the week.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated, and any advise.
No the watch is advertised to be tested too a precision of -2+2 on a timing machine.Now on the wrist there are many factors to overcome seeing the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.Consistency is the main factor with any mechanical movement, so dont get too anal about a few seconds difference out of 86400 in a day, your watch is fine just leave it well alone.And know need to wear your watch in bed take it off try resting it flat dial up might gain a second or so over night.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 1 November 2017, 02:24 AM   #10
jackjack305
"TRF" Member

Leave it alone it will keep doing that for the first couple of months.
Old 1 November 2017, 07:19 AM   #11
DandyAnt
"TRF" Member

Mine (whilst worn constantly day/night) loses -4 seconds per day. It’s a 2014 and was more accurate when I first bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 November 2017, 10:21 AM   #12
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
My 1.5 month old BLNR usually loses 0-1 spd. If I wear it all day and leave it facing up at night then 0 loss, but if I leave crown side down then ~1s loss. However, I left it in my new winder for 1 day and noticed I lost ~3 s :( This was the first time it lost that much so I'm in shock :)
Old 1 November 2017, 10:25 AM   #13
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think you should enjoy that bad boy and don’t worry about a second or two per day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 November 2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There are 86,400 seconds in a day, your mechanical watch is off by 4 and your worried?
Old 1 November 2017, 11:07 AM   #15
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It's just new, and will typically settle. If it is consistently losing time as you mentioned per week, you:

1. May not may be wearing/active enough to ever reach the full wind and maintain throughout the week.

or

2. Try adjusting the position of the crown when it's off your wrist and stored overnight.

Worst case, that's what the Microstella is for.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #16
"TRF" Member

Ok, after reading a bunch of these threads...

How do you folks check the time keeping of a Rolex?
Old 1 November 2017, 03:27 PM   #17
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2807 View Post
Ok, after reading a bunch of these threads...

How do you folks check the time keeping of a Rolex?
I set mine on a certain date--like Nov 1--according to the NIST time and then check it every now and then by dividing the time difference by the number of days to approximate daily accuracy.
Old 1 November 2017, 03:31 PM   #18
Xerxes77
Banned

you can adjust accuracy if you leave the watch in different position on the night.
if you put the watch with dial up or down the watch have +1-2 sec fast and in the end stay at 0
Old 1 November 2017, 03:40 PM   #19
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

OP, as others have said, let it settle in for another month or two and see how it goes (although it already has been "settling in" for two months now :-/).

That said, you are not incorrect that Rolex advertises the watch should run -2/+2 seconds per day. The advertisement strongly implies that individuals will see this type of accuracy on the wrist. The website says: "PRECISION -2/+2 sec/day, after casing" and since watches are designed to be worn, most consumers would assume that this is the accuracy when wearing the watch.

In fact, Rolex has validated this notion as members have had Rolex regulated for free under warranty because their watches don't run within those specs.

Now, it is up to you if you demand that precision form your Rolex. Some people don't care and that's fine. Some people do care and that is also perfectly reasonable. I like Rolexes because they are beautiful and because they are mechanically engineered quite well. If a Rolex ran +10 seconds per day I would not purchase one. That is not impressive to me. I'm not overly thrilled with -4 seconds per day either. That accuracy is not an engineering feat. And if its a daily wear watch, after a month it will be running two minutes slow. That's annoying.

If after a further break-in period it is running outside of Rolex advertised precision and it bothers you then send it to RSC Dallas. You can also try different overnight positions, as other member have said, to see if accuracy is affected.

Please let us know ow it turns out!
Old 4 November 2017, 09:42 AM   #20
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
OP, as others have said, let it settle in for another month or two and see how it goes (although it already has been "settling in" for two months now :-/).

That said, you are not incorrect that Rolex advertises the watch should run -2/+2 seconds per day. The advertisement strongly implies that individuals will see this type of accuracy on the wrist. The website says: "PRECISION -2/+2 sec/day, after casing" and since watches are designed to be worn, most consumers would assume that this is the accuracy when wearing the watch.

In fact, Rolex has validated this notion as members have had Rolex regulated for free under warranty because their watches don't run within those specs.

Now, it is up to you if you demand that precision form your Rolex. Some people don't care and that's fine. Some people do care and that is also perfectly reasonable. I like Rolexes because they are beautiful and because they are mechanically engineered quite well. If a Rolex ran +10 seconds per day I would not purchase one. That is not impressive to me. I'm not overly thrilled with -4 seconds per day either. That accuracy is not an engineering feat. And if its a daily wear watch, after a month it will be running two minutes slow. That's annoying.

If after a further break-in period it is running outside of Rolex advertised precision and it bothers you then send it to RSC Dallas. You can also try different overnight positions, as other member have said, to see if accuracy is affected.

Please let us know ow it turns out!
Just a quick update. Over the last couple of nights, have been taking my watch off before going to sleep and leaving in the upright position in my cabinet. The accuracy has improved significantly. Since Sunday, I have only lost 10 seconds. Sunday night and Monday night I wore the watch to sleep, Tuesday to Thursday night took it off.
Old 4 November 2017, 12:12 PM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I would wait and zee if it settles out before getting it regulated
Old 4 November 2017, 12:28 PM   #22
Why1504
"TRF" Member

I may be new to Rolex but I am not new to mechanical watches. First I would give it 6 months maybe 9. Try to wear it as much as you can. Lay it flat at night. Unless the time gets way out of wack, only adjust it every 2 weeks if at all possible. Certainly no more often than once a week. Try to document how fast or slow the watch is working. Date, time of day, etc.

If you decide to send in the watch to have it regulated I would also document your activity levels for a week or two prior to sending it off.

Now, if you provide this level of data they should be able to solve your problems.

One last thought, if you are flying regularly I would include this in the diary.
Old 5 November 2017, 03:25 PM   #23
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ8 View Post
Just a quick update. Over the last couple of nights, have been taking my watch off before going to sleep and leaving in the upright position in my cabinet. The accuracy has improved significantly. Since Sunday, I have only lost 10 seconds. Sunday night and Monday night I wore the watch to sleep, Tuesday to Thursday night took it off.
Thanks for the update. Instead of a varying schedule as you described, try to do the same thing every night in regards to whether you wear it and resting position. That way we can see how it behaves in consistent conditions.
Old 5 November 2017, 04:07 PM   #24
Lawisme
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No the watch is advertised to be tested too a precision of -2+2 on a timing machine.Now on the wrist there are many factors to overcome seeing the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction,mainspring power reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.Consistency is the main factor with any mechanical movement, so dont get too anal about a few seconds difference out of 86400 in a day, your watch is fine just leave it well alone.And know need to wear your watch in bed take it off try resting it flat dial up might gain a second or so over night.
I knew that u were going to chime in ....I think you have like two templates and u cut and paste your opinion whenever someone has a regulating question and their watch is performing in a manner with which they are less than satisfied...then u tell them about how many moving parts their are, then the percentage of accuracy being 99.99% and then tell them to enjoy the watch and live with it, etc....it's just weird how u always pop up and spit that same song...sorry my man...I had to call u out.
Old 5 November 2017, 05:34 PM   #25
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawisme View Post
I knew that u were going to chime in ....I think you have like two templates and u cut and paste your opinion whenever someone has a regulating question and their watch is performing in a manner with which they are less than satisfied...then u tell them about how many moving parts their are, then the percentage of accuracy being 99.99% and then tell them to enjoy the watch and live with it, etc....it's just weird how u always pop up and spit that same song...sorry my man...I had to call u out.

Yeah it’s tiresome and I haven’t even been around that long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 November 2017, 10:28 PM   #26
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawisme View Post
I hope this is in jest.
Old 5 November 2017, 11:09 PM   #27
slide13
"TRF" Member

Also, play around with positions even if other people say it’ll do the opposite of what you’re trying to achieve. My watch runs about -.5 if I wear it all day and let it rest face up at night. That’s supposed to be a fast position. But, for my watch, crown down is actually the fastest and if I set it crown down at night it’ll run about +.25 seconds for the day. Crown down is typically reported as a slower position but not for my Sub.
Old 6 November 2017, 01:04 AM   #28
Lawisme
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
I hope this is in jest.
Old 6 November 2017, 01:06 AM   #29
Lawisme
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlueFish View Post
Yeah it’s tiresome and I haven’t even been around that long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes along with a few other adjectives I have in mind 🤣
Old 6 November 2017, 01:10 AM   #30
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Yep, have it sit dial-up off your wrist when sleeping, will help (sounds like you figured that, though). Should get you to ~ -1/-2 a day.
Closed Thread