The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 December 2017, 12:49 PM   #1
degminsec
"TRF" Member

Advice for newbie looking for birthyear Datejust (1978)

Hi all,

New to watches, started by buying a new watch (Omega Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial). Been reading forums and sites more and more and of course now I have the vintage bug...

I’m interested in my first vintage purchase, and I think I want it to be a Datejust from my birthyear (1978).

First question - any reasons not to get a 1978 Datejust? I like the look of older datejust’s, but not sure if it’s possible that was a “bad year” for them or if it’s even possible to reliably identify one that was made in that year.

Secondly, was wondering if you all could provide some advice on the best way to find that perfect 1978 Datejust - most importantly, the best way for someone who is new to vintage watches to not get ripped off or end up with a fake or frankenstein...

Any input would be appreciated!
degminsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:23 PM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The answer to your last question is easiest ... Just buy from a reputable collector/dealer with impeccable references, and stay away from places like eBay unless you have done tons and tons of homework and know exactly what you're looking at.

In general, I don't recommend buying a watch strictly because it might be from your birth year. It will greatly restrict your choices. Would you rather have a mint vintage DJ from 1979-80 or a mediocre over-polished example from 1978?

You need to be looking at DJs in the mid to late 5 million serial numbers to be in the neighborhood of 1978, but keep in mind that there is no guarantee it will be exactly from 1978, unless you have paperwork that tells you when it was sold. And even that can get murky because watches can sit around at ADs for months and years even. So, what about a DJ that is a 5.7 mil serial number that was sold in 1982? Would you consider that a birthyear watch?

And before you even go down that road, I'd suggest doing a lot of homework on vintage DJs, so you know what to look for. There are many dial color choices, for example, and bezel choices too. Condition is everything, with the dial/hands paramount and the case condition close behind. A watch that has recently been serviced is a big bonus too. (One tip: Try to make sure the tritium dots are all intact at the hour markers and that you have matching patina on the hands.)

Here's my DJ (5.5 mil from about '78) for comparison purposes.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ-TRF-2.jpg (283.8 KB, 168 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:31 AM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The answer to your last question is easiest ... Just buy from a reputable collector/dealer with impeccable references, and stay away from places like eBay unless you have done tons and tons of homework and know exactly what you're looking at.

In general, I don't recommend buying a watch strictly because it might be from your birth year. It will greatly restrict your choices. Would you rather have a mint vintage DJ from 1979-80 or a mediocre over-polished example from 1978?

You need to be looking at DJs in the mid to late 5 million serial numbers to be in the neighborhood of 1978, but keep in mind that there is no guarantee it will be exactly from 1978, unless you have paperwork that tells you when it was sold. And even that can get murky because watches can sit around at ADs for months and years even. So, what about a DJ that is a 5.7 mil serial number that was sold in 1982? Would you consider that a birthyear watch?

And before you even go down that road, I'd suggest doing a lot of homework on vintage DJs, so you know what to look for. There are many dial color choices, for example, and bezel choices too. Condition is everything, with the dial/hands paramount and the case condition close behind. A watch that has recently been serviced is a big bonus too. (One tip: Try to make sure the tritium dots are all intact at the hour markers and that you have matching patina on the hands.)

Here's my DJ (5.5 mil from about '78) for comparison purposes.

Good luck!
Here's a pic of an orig. Datejust from 1977 that my father in law bought new. 5M serial no. Clasp stamped VB

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #4
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
Degminsec - Welcome to the forum! several ways to find a DJ from your birth yr. I wear a TT DJ Model 1601 from my birth yr(1971). Take a look at the pic in my avatar. I found it in TX at an authorized repair center by searching the internet for "1971 date just 1601".

Chrono24 is a website that has a search function for specific year models as well as dial colors, case materials and locations. I did a quick search for 1978 DJ and there are more than 130 available.

Hope this helps! Happy shopping
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:38 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Time View Post
Degminsec - Welcome to the forum! several ways to find a DJ from your birth yr. I wear a TT DJ Model 1601 from my birth yr(1971). Take a look at the pic in my avatar. I found it in TX at an authorized repair center by searching the internet for "1971 date just 1601".

Chrono24 is a website that has a search function for specific year models as well as dial colors, case materials and locations. I did a quick search for 1978 DJ and there are more than 130 available.

Hope this helps! Happy shopping
Be very careful on Chrono24. Some good sellers on there, but also some shady watches posted by questionable sellers.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote