The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2017, 07:48 AM   #1
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Legal For Tourist To Sell One Rolex In U.K. ?

If I travel to the U.K and find a good buyer for my good watch, is it legal for me to sell it ? Any taxes due ?
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
If I travel to the U.K and find a good buyer for my good watch, is it legal for me to sell it ? Any taxes due ?
The buyer would in theory legally have to pay VAT & Customs fees (around 29%), but you may have trouble bringing it through customs all boxed etc...would be better wearing it and posting the box etc separately.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
The buyer would in theory legally have to pay VAT & Customs fees (around 29%), but you may have trouble bringing it through customs all boxed etc...would be better wearing it and posting the box etc separately.
I don’t think so Gary. The buyer isn’t importing it and is buying it in the UK so no VAT or duty payable by the buyer (IMO)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 08:25 AM   #4
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I don’t think so Gary. The buyer isn’t importing it and is buying it in the UK so no VAT or duty payable by the buyer (IMO)
I think it’s a tricky situation..if the importer hasn’t paid duty and smuggled it in, then i think the buyer could be liable still? Would be good to get clarification on it though.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I travel Internationally often and I try to follow all the rules and avoid any possible violations. Once you get on the “ bad guy list” coming through Customs can get really ugly.

You have stated publicly that you are bringing in an expensive item with the intent to sell. Not a great idea.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 08:48 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I travel Internationally often and I try to follow all the rules and avoid any possible violations. Once you get on the “ bad guy list” coming through Customs can get really ugly.

You have stated publicly that you are bringing in an expensive item with the intent to sell. Not a great idea.
This. Its not worth getting flagged for the foreseeable future when you travel by avoiding paying what you owe and getting caught. Importing anything, and you pay duty. When my parents bring christmas presents for my kids when they visit they declare and pay duty if they are over the limit.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Surely it depends whether the watch is brand new or second hand?

Isn't VAT only due on new goods when sold to the first owner direct from the manufacturer?

Once the item has been sold it becomes second hand, therefore no more VAT is due as tax has been paid by the first owner in the country it was purchased in?
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 10:11 AM   #8
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

Isn't VAT only due on new goods when sold to the first owner direct from the manufacturer?

Once the item has been sold it becomes second hand, therefore no more VAT is due as tax has been paid by the first owner in the country it was purchased in?
I have read posts from your countrymen saying that coming to America and buying a Rolex watch doesn't work because they still have to pay import duty and VAT when returning home.

Not sure where that fits in this situation, but I wouldn't think a visitor/tourist could sell an expensive item while visiting another country without some kind of declaration when leaving the country.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 10:19 AM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

I imagine it's the same rule, where if it's a gift and to be left in the country, VAT would be payable. But if the tourist takes it back out of the country, no taxes would be payable.

At least in Canada, I know of a case where a visitor brought over a Rolex for a relative as a gift. Tried saying it was his to wear, but Customs didn't buy it as it was unsized, had the box and paperwork all together. Got slapped with some pretty hefty fines and red flagged on all future visits.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Seanken
Banned

So much for free trade . . .
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Who cares? Do it. Who is going to know?
The UK can't even keep track of the jihadists. You think they have time to track rolex sales?
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
He is and there would be under those circumstances.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
The UK can't even keep track of the jihadists. You think they have time to track rolex sales?
....nice!
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:45 PM   #14
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Keep the watch, box and paperwork separated. I don’t see any issue unless you scream “I’m here to sell this watch!” to any custom officer you met at airport.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:50 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
advocating breaking the law which it is, in addition to injecting an inflammatory topic that is best left esleware
Old 5 December 2017, 04:50 PM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a little unfair.
Old 5 December 2017, 04:57 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i don't think so. If you buy a used Rolex from a store that deals in second hand watches you are still paying VAT.

Im not an expert on how vat is applied but there are margin schemes where second hand goods can be taxed on the profit which is the difference between what the dealer paid vs the price they sold at or the normal rate, but there is VAT due.

Here is the FAQ from watchfinder. They are not an AD so every watch they sell is technically used and all watches are definitely being sold for at least the second time... "The price quoted includes VAT (or similar sales tax) at the prevailing rate. If the rate of VAT changes between the date of your Order and the date of dispatch, we will adjust the rate of VAT that you pay, unless you have already paid for the Goods in full before the change in the rate of VAT takes effect."
Old 5 December 2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i don't think so. If you buy a used Rolex from a store that deals in second hand watches you are still paying VAT.

Im not an expert on how vat is applied but there are margin schemes where second hand goods can be taxed on the profit which is the difference between what the dealer paid vs the price they sold at or the normal rate, but there is VAT due.

Here is the FAQ from watchfinder. They are not an AD so every watch they sell is technically used: The price quoted includes VAT (or similar sales tax) at the prevailing rate. If the rate of VAT changes between the date of your Order and the date of dispatch, we will adjust the rate of VAT that you pay, unless you have already paid for the Goods in full before the change in the rate of VAT takes effect.
The store will be VAT registered and will probably claim back as much VAT as they pay out.

I Don't see the difference between 2 randoms who aren't VAT registered doing a face to face deal and you or I buying a used watch from the small ads or eBay?

You wouldn't pay VAT on a private sellers watch on eBay, so what's the difference?

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:24 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The store will be VAT registered and will probably claim back as much VAT as they pay out.

I Don't see the difference between 2 randoms who aren't VAT registered doing a face to face deal and you or I buying a used watch from the small ads or eBay?

You wouldn't pay VAT on a private sellers watch on eBay, so what's the difference?

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
im not sure, but that is separate from the import issue anyway. Bringing goods into the country to sell and VAT is payable as well as bringing in items you bought for your personal use on vacation VAT is also due if over the tax free allowance, which a watch is. That is my understanding anyway.
Old 5 December 2017, 05:26 PM   #20
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
I think you're bang on here, Scott. I can't imagine VAT being applicable on a second hand product; I know for certain that I can't claim my VAT back when I leave the UK to come back out here if I buy a watch from someone like Watchfinder.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:30 PM   #21
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Here is the FAQ from watchfinder. They are not an AD so every watch they sell is technically used and all watches are definitely being sold for at least the second time... "The price quoted includes VAT (or similar sales tax) at the prevailing rate. If the rate of VAT changes between the date of your Order and the date of dispatch, we will adjust the rate of VAT that you pay, unless you have already paid for the Goods in full before the change in the rate of VAT takes effect."
And yet they won't (or can't?) provide the appropriate paperwork to allow me to claim the VAT back when I leave the UK and return to Singapore. Another reason for me to avoid them.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:37 PM   #22
artschool
"TRF" Member

just goes to show how daft some of the rules are.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:44 PM   #23
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Jeez guys, ring Customs and just ask them.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 06:03 PM   #24
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
just goes to show how daft some of the rules are.
y'think?

I once got involved in the "temporary importation" of a "valuable dutiable item" into the UK, it would only be there for a few weeks then reexported back home. Shipping in & out all booked & prepaid with longstanding transport companies, no issues there.

But then the British Excise or whatever foreign affairs Department got into the game and insisted that we also prepay the applicable duties... "just in case the item didn't ultimately leave the country &/or in same valued condition as on entry"... which they required as a bond drawn on a UK bank = extra paperwork.

Great
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 06:14 PM   #25
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Jeez guys, ring Customs and just ask them.
We wish it was that simple... whenever we call up, officer gives his verbal opinion. Call up again straight after, get another guy and the story changes. We ask for written email confirmation... that arrives different to earlier discussion too.

Take this one time yrs ago we needed to courier Title deeds to UK. No problem, everyday item right?

UK customs asks "what's its value", as anything over 20quid(ish) gets VAT'd. No problem, logic prevails. They held it until acceptable value invoice was provided.

But what's that exact parcel's contents worth exactly??

It's just a document = pile of paper... to a recycling bin, worth negligible.

It's original title deeds to a million$ property that somebody paid million$ for.

If that document got lost or destroyed, to get that stack redrawn by solicitors would cost several thousand$$.

Old 5 December 2017, 06:15 PM   #26
ADB85
"TRF" Member

Compare it to shipping/posting a watch from the USA to the UK for sale. You have to declare the value and are taxed accordingly. This is IMO no different apart from the watch is on someones arm rather than in the post. VAT and import duties are still required if knowingly importing to sell even if the item is second hand/used. Just my 2 cents, I may be well off the mark.
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 06:22 PM   #27
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB85 View Post
Compare it to shipping/posting a watch from the USA to the UK for sale. You have to declare the value and are taxed accordingly. This is IMO no different apart from the watch is on someones arm rather than in the post. VAT and import duties are still required if knowingly importing to sell even if the item is second hand/used. Just my 2 cents, I may be well off the mark.
how about tack on 2 other possible issues...

#1 if you wear the watch in & the sale falls thru and you take it back out of the country... do you get refund of tax you've volunteered to pay earlier?

#2 is a "tourist" allowed to enter & sell goods? Or do you need a different entry visa

and a remote 3rd..

If a tourist wears a fancy piece into UK intending to take it back out when he departs... but by some misfortune either destroys or loses that piece = unable to reexport... is VAT due then?
Old 5 December 2017, 07:18 PM   #28
ADB85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
how about tack on 2 other possible issues...

#1 if you wear the watch in & the sale falls thru and you take it back out of the country... do you get refund of tax you've volunteered to pay earlier?

#2 is a "tourist" allowed to enter & sell goods? Or do you need a different entry visa

and a remote 3rd..

If a tourist wears a fancy piece into UK intending to take it back out when he departs... but by some misfortune either destroys or loses that piece = unable to reexport... is VAT due then?
That's a lot of supposition. I just read the OPs first post as he was intending to import a watch into the UK with a view to selling here. If that was the case then IMO taxes and import duties are payable.

If the sale falls through I'm sure there would be a method for recovering the taxes/duties paid already. I'm guessing that the type of visa doesn't have a bearing on this, just the taxes and duties due on the item. (I'm English so I have no idea about visa requirements for people entering and what they can and cannot do on certain visas).
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 07:44 PM   #29
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
He is and there would be under those circumstances.
Eddie, your wrong mate (and the irony of someone from Oz correcting soemone from the UK on UK VAT law is not lost on me )

There are specific UK VAT laws for imported goods.

If you are in the UK and importing goods from outside the EU you pay VAT at the prevaliing rate on those goods, whether they are new or used and whether or not you (the buyer) are VAT registerd or not.

The buyer here is not importing the goods and therefore is not liable for VAT. Its quite simple.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 07:52 PM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Eddie, your wrong mate (and the irony of someone from Oz correcting soemone from the UK on UK VAT law is not lost on me )

There are specific UK VAT laws for imported goods.

If you are in the UK and importing goods from outside the EU you pay VAT at the prevaliing rate on those goods, whether they are new or used and whether or not you (the buyer) are VAT registerd or not.

The buyer here is not importing the goods and therefore is not liable for VAT its quite simple.
thats what i think

Basically if you buy from David SW and he mails it to the UK, the buyer IS importing and pays VAT. If a dealer flies to the UK and the transaction happens in the UK then the seller IS importing. Who brings it into the country is the relevant thing here i think.