The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2019, 03:05 AM   #1
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Great new AD and some info...

Took a chance and drove a little farther afield today in search of an AD. My current AD seems to have no plan to prioritize me, which is fine, so I figured if their loyalty is meh mine can be as well.

Went to the new place - and no, this doesn't end with some miracle where there was a Batman on display and I got it - and was pleasantly surprised. Explained my situation...40K (which is a bunch for me) spent over the last 4 years with old AD on Omega, Zenith and (Omega and Zenith rolled into Rolex) Rolex, and that has gotten me bumpkis as far as priority.

Much different vibe at this new place. They did not put me on a list or anything, but they took down all my info, and talked to me for over an hour about just random cool Rolex stuff. Asked me to call and check in monthly to see what happens. I am loosely down for a Daytona (which they admitted might be never), any SS GMT, and an SD43 (or DSSD), which they seemed to think they might be able to get me into at some point in the not too distant future.

They also gave me some great specific model books on Rolex, and went to the back and dug out a sharp brand new Rolex hat they had just gotten in. Maybe not a big deal, but the other place I spent 40K at and never got offered a hat. LOL.

Long story short, as many on here have suggested, shop around on AD's. I actually left this new one with a smile on my face and thinking hey, these guys might actually do something to help me out one day. It was just a more enjoyable experience in general. We are not tied to our AD, and there might be a better one just a bit farther up the road...

Also, some interesting notes...they had piles of TT and a few PM's (almost all DJ and DD but one YGTT GMT) and almost every single YM variety made - no joke, 40MM with Rhodium dial, YM II 44, Everose on OF, couple of 37's, and TT Everose. Seemed crazy.

They also had one Air King and one Explorer 39. Guy told me in the last 6-12 months Milgauss and Explorer II's have gotten as hard to come by and keep as GMTs and Subs. Basically, the entire line is red hot except YM's there. Just one AD, and thus one data point, but still found it interesting. And I like my new hat!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:13 AM   #2
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congratulations on your find. I think I would have kept this info under my hat. A good AD is hard to find. You're probably going to get posts and PMs asking for the ADs name.

How far do I have to drive?
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:18 AM   #3
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Congratulations on your find. I think I would have kept this info under my hat. You're probably going to get posts and PMs asking for the ADs name.

How far do I have to drive?
Drove about 90 minutes or so each way. So about twice the time it takes me to get to my normal place. Just a totally different vibe at this place.

And yes, I will be keeping this info under my hat so to speak, not to be totally selfish, but I did do all the driving, and nothing has happened yet other than a maybe. I will report back in if this actually results in me getting one I want in the next 6 months!

One other note, they asked me directly if I would resell anything they found me. And I do mean directly. And, they also told me they would remove any and all stickers. They were super polite about everything, but you can just see Rolex is ramping up the pressure on the ADs. Still a great time just shooting the breeze about watches for an hour.

Old 23 February 2019, 03:24 AM   #4
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Drove about 90 minutes or so each way. So about twice the time it takes me to get to my normal place. Just a totally different vibe at this place.

And yes, I will be keeping this info under my hat so to speak, not to be totally selfish, but I did do all the driving, and nothing has happened yet other than a maybe. I will report back in if this actually results in me getting one I want in the next 6 months!

One other note, they asked me directly if I would resell anything they found me. And I do mean directly. And, they also told me they would remove any and all stickers. They were super polite about everything, but you can just see Rolex is ramping up the pressure on the ADs. Still a great time just shooting the breeze about watches for an hour.

That might have stopped two or three PMs, but I think profiteers are excellent liars.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:25 AM   #5
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I think in time we'll see ADs going away in favor of corporate owned Rolex Boutiques. There's absolutely no reason for them to share their profits with anyone but themselves. And when that day comes I wonder how many people who plunked down thousands of dollars to sit on imaginary waiting lists will lose their money. I'm sorry but if I'm working in an AD and a hard to get model comes in, I'm calling my nephew or my brother in law no matter how long my list is.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #6
Swaye
"TRF" Member

One more note, that is not going to be news to anyone here I suppose, but was interesting to get an AD take on, was how they see the market and which pieces are the hardest to get and the most in demand.

Tier 1 - SS Daytona (White dial > Black) and Pepsi
Tier 2 - SS Hulk and Batman
Tier 3 - SD43, DSSD, PM Daytona
Tier 4 - Rose Gold GMT, SS Subs, SkyDweller
Tier 5 - TT Sub, Explorer II (White dial > Black), and Milgauss (Z Blue > Black)

That was pretty much word from word on how they are ranking them internally in the mid-Atlantic market.

Said everything below Tier 5 is not super hard to get and they do not have people asking and calling for them. I'm sure this was generally speaking of course, but as I said, they had a Explorer 39, Air King, and piles of YM's sitting in the case.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:27 AM   #7
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That might have stopped two or three PMs, but I think profiteers are excellent liars.
Simple, I won't read my PM's for a two weeks.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:28 AM   #8
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I think in time we'll see ADs going away in favor of corporate owned Rolex Boutiques. There's absolutely no reason for them to share their profits with anyone but themselves. And when that day comes I wonder how many people who plunked down thousands of dollars to sit on imaginary waiting lists will lose their money. I'm sorry but if I'm working in an AD and a hard to get model comes in, I'm calling my nephew or my brother in law no matter how long my list is.

Be prepared to move in with your nephew or your bother when the list-dwellers give up and find some other way to spend their money.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:32 AM   #9
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder the same thing, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. There are about 10 ADs within a two hour drive from me in Northern Virginia - all in DC, Maryland, Delaware and PA. Can't hurt to try one. But yeah, this AD is well aware of the what all these are going for on the secondary market - they were quoting me prices on Pepsis and Hulks. So this AD knows exactly where everything is at. Hard in that situation to not give your brother in law the call and let him reap the rewards. Ah well, I am trying not to be a cynic and wanted to try to do something positive to change the situation. If it works out, cool, if not, I'm only out 4 hours and some gas.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:51 AM   #10
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
And I like my new hat!
Did they ask you if you were going to wear the hat backwards?
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:55 AM   #11
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Sounds like a fun road trip. Thanks for that update.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:55 AM   #12
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Did they ask you if you were going to wear the hat backwards?
Haha! Nope. In fact, they gave me my choice between a white one and a blue one. I picked blue. I told them that is the most choice I have had in a Rolex AD in over a year. They laughed.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:57 AM   #13
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
Sounds like a fun road trip. Thanks for that update.
It was great. Even if no watches ever appear I did get a cool hat and had some laughs. Plus, first time I ever got to try on an OF. Pretty cool actually.
Old 23 February 2019, 04:05 AM   #14
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Be prepared to move in with your nephew or your bother when the list-dwellers give up and find some other way to spend their money.

Agreed. Sorry but I would maybe give a couple of hundred dollars to wait but that’s about it. I ordered a $100,000 car and the dealership took $1,000. A week later I had a production number that I could track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:05 AM   #15
ZOOK

Dang it! You made them laugh, you got free stuff.

Next thing I know you will have posted two or three incomings and I'll still be getting "Excuse me sir, I have to take this phone call." I didn't hear the phone ring.
Old 23 February 2019, 04:08 AM   #16
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Worst case you had a fun road trip and got some free swag. Best case is they find you cool stuff and you found yourself a new AD. Thanks for sharing!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:09 AM   #17
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Quote:
Agreed. Sorry but I would maybe give a couple of hundred dollars to wait but that’s about it. I ordered a $100,000 car and the dealership took $1,000. A week later I had a production number that I could track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tesla?
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:24 AM   #18
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
One more note, that is not going to be news to anyone here I suppose, but was interesting to get an AD take on, was how they see the market and which pieces are the hardest to get and the most in demand.

Tier 1 - SS Daytona (White dial > Black) and Pepsi
Tier 2 - SS Hulk and Batman
Tier 3 - SD43, DSSD, PM Daytona
Tier 4 - Rose Gold GMT, SS Subs, SkyDweller
Tier 5 - TT Sub, Explorer II (White dial > Black), and Milgauss (Z Blue > Black)

That was pretty much word from word on how they are ranking them internally in the mid-Atlantic market.

Said everything below Tier 5 is not super hard to get and they do not have people asking and calling for them. I'm sure this was generally speaking of course, but as I said, they had a Explorer 39, Air King, and piles of YM's sitting in the case.
Are they seriously suggesting that it's easier to get a SkyDweller than a DSSD or SD43 or Batman???? I don't think so!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:54 AM   #19
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dang it! You made them laugh, you got free stuff.

Next thing I know you will have posted two or three incomings and I'll still be getting "Excuse me sir, I have to take this phone call." I didn't hear the phone ring.
I will certainly update this if anything happens. I told them I have cash on hand for any of my selections - Daytona (lol), BLNR, SD43 or DSSD. Then again, me and probably 50 other people as well...
Old 23 February 2019, 04:54 AM   #20
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Worst case you had a fun road trip and got some free swag. Best case is they find you cool stuff and you found yourself a new AD. Thanks for sharing!
That was my take. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 23 February 2019, 04:55 AM   #21
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Are they seriously suggesting that it's easier to get a SkyDweller than a DSSD or SD43 or Batman???? I don't think so!
Well, that is how they looked at it, but they did not mention anything about blue dial, so maybe they are thinking any dial color but blue...and again, just one ADs impression of the market. I too thought having SkyDwellers low was odd, but who knows.
Old 23 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #22
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think if you are in a major metro market, this is a good idea. I have been on a similar journey and know of more than a few on here who have given up on Chicago area ADs.
Old 23 February 2019, 05:46 AM   #23
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
I'll still be getting "Excuse me sir, I have to take this phone call." I didn't hear the phone ring.

Hahaha
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:09 AM   #24
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Haha! Nope. In fact, they gave me my choice between a white one and a blue one. I picked blue. I told them that is the most choice I have had in a Rolex AD in over a year. They laughed.
Wrong choice! - there is a wait list on the white (polar) hats and they fetch $£$£ on the Grey market!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:14 AM   #25
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Wrong choice! - there is a wait list on the white (polar) hats and they fetch $£$£ on the Grey market!
Old 23 February 2019, 06:36 AM   #26
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Sounds like you have found a good one. Keep in touch with them from time to time and visit--that will go a long way as well.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:38 AM   #27
racer24
Banned

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
you failed to mention the time of day you drove for the 90 minute trip. at certain time of the day, 90 minutes won't get you far around DC area. LOL
racer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:57 AM   #28
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer24 View Post
you failed to mention the time of day you drove for the 90 minute trip. at certain time of the day, 90 minutes won't get you far around DC area. LOL
Sad, but so true...
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:34 AM   #29
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer24 View Post
I left at the crack of dawn and had a nice leisurely breakfast there after arrival. Then hit the AD when the doors opened. And yes, depending on direction of travel, it can be brutal!.
Old 23 February 2019, 07:35 AM   #30
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
Sounds like you have found a good one. Keep in touch with them from time to time and visit--that will go a long way as well.
That's the plan. Fingers crossed.