The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2019, 04:28 AM   #1
peturbed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
16700 date changing advice

Greetings

I have a 16700 that unfortunately has until recently sat in a bank vault for 10 years with the occasional wind. It was Rolex serviced before it got put in the vault.

The reason for that is that I lived until recently in a very dangerous country where that watch wouldn't have still been in my ownership. I was hijacked twice in the last 10 years.

So I guess it's been a reluctant safe queen.

Anyway to cut a long story short - - the watch works perfectly, keeps really acceptable time, hands all move fine, alignment correct, when winding it manually to start it up, it's all smooth.

Just one issue....the date seems to change around 5 am and not at midnight. It's very frustrating.

Given that everything else works fine, I'm trying to understand what has possibly happened inside the movement that could make it do that...and should I/can I just live with it until the next time I'm near a service centre (about 300 miles away...) If it's not harming anything, I can live with it for a while because I'm usually asleep then anyway so I don't see it.

Am I doing any damage to anything, what could have caused this mechanically.

Your input is greatly appreciated in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmt.jpg (263.4 KB, 68 views)
peturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:36 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

So long as the date is changing over normally (with the exception of being 5 hours late) I cannot think you are causing any undue harm to the watch in wearing it before you get it to a service centre.

A competent watchmaker will advise servicing the watch which will rectify the problem regardless of the cause.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote