The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Seems a pretty easy choice, pass on the piece and tell your AD why and what you are waiting for!
This.

At the price of a 5164R ; if you have more than a few doubts than I would pass.

Last thing you want is to buy it, hate it, scratch it, sell it and then they find out you "flipped" it.

Versus someone else who actually loves the reference getting it and you keep waiting for your "one".
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:53 AM   #32
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

It really sounds to me as if you should pass.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:39 AM   #33
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your input! I'm living in GMT +8 so I've just gotten into the office and ngl I've not slept well. I've also been waiting for TRF North America to chime in. Amazing how precise you guys are just by reading my post. I still have not been able to visit the AD yet but I am planning on stopping by at lunch today. Here's my penny for "my" thoughts: I do not own any Pateks and I definitely don't want to buy it to flip my first, although I am a genuinely worried that if I am honest which I plan to be, the AD will no longer take me seriously and I won't be getting any calls from this AD. Although 10-20K could be tempting I definitely don't need the money from flipping but I also can't afford several of these pieces that I don't love and can't see myself wearing and adoring. Thank you for all your inputs and advice again. I will definitely keep ya'll posted.
dbehsknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:50 AM   #34
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbehsknowme View Post
My AD just called to let me know the 5164R has arrived.
It definitely wasn't 1st on my wish list but nevertheless it's pretty amazing to get "the call".
I need your help, it's a Rose Gold model so it's definitely not a cheap one but at the same time given the market if I pass I may not get another call from this AD again.. and maybe it's a piece I'll regret passing up. But again definitely don't have the money to be throwing around for fun.
Much appreciated!
Agree with most. 5164R is a very mice ref but it doesn't sound like you like it so you should politely decline. PP is increasing taking a firm stance against flippers so don't risk getting into a blacklist. Unless you no longer want to buy the brand.
Old 19 February 2020, 01:28 PM   #35
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Thank you for all your input! I'm living in GMT +8 so I've just gotten into the office and ngl I've not slept well. I've also been waiting for TRF North America to chime in. Amazing how precise you guys are just by reading my post. I still have not been able to visit the AD yet but I am planning on stopping by at lunch today. Here's my penny for "my" thoughts: I do not own any Pateks and I definitely don't want to buy it to flip my first, although I am a genuinely worried that if I am honest which I plan to be, the AD will no longer take me seriously and I won't be getting any calls from this AD. Although 10-20K could be tempting I definitely don't need the money from flipping but I also can't afford several of these pieces that I don't love and can't see myself wearing and adoring. Thank you for all your inputs and advice again. I will definitely keep ya'll posted.
Good to know. Keep us posted. I know my local AD would be very unhappy if I bought a 5164R from them and sold it within 6-12 months. They would not be happy at all. Would they find out if I sold it? Well, they would damn well want to see it on me when I came back to them for the "one" I wanted, or the next "one." Play it straight. They'll appreciate the honesty. It will pay off.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:50 PM   #36
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Pass. There shouldn't be one ounce of doubt in you for a luxury purchase of this magnitude. When it's the one for you, I guarantee you won't be asking us lot for an opinion. :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:53 PM   #37
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I agree with all of the above. Don't buy it unless if you really like it.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:11 PM   #38
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

This is turning out to be a lot more complicated and dramatic than it should be but for those of you still interested.

Firstly, I really wholeheartedly agree with all of you. I will be honest, as stated previously it wasn't my 1st choice. I went down there today and when I saw it in person, it was just the most beautiful, perfect and immaculate work of art. I could not help but appreciate it. I can't even imagine flipping my 1st ever Patek so that's out of the question but it is a lot of money. I decided to pull the trigger and paid the deposit and will pay the remaining next week and pick it up. It still gives me butterflies and I can't wait to have it on my wrist. Hopefully it looks as good on my wrist as it does on its own. Will post pictures once I figure out how to do the whole picture shenanigan..

TLDR: Could not resist the piece in real life and bought!
Old 19 February 2020, 05:15 PM   #39
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
This is turning out to be a lot more complicated and dramatic than it should be but for those of you still interested.

Firstly, I really wholeheartedly agree with all of you. I will be honest, as stated previously it wasn't my 1st choice. I went down there today and when I saw it in person, it was just the most beautiful, perfect and immaculate work of art. I could not help but appreciate it. I can't even imagine flipping my 1st ever Patek so that's out of the question but it is a lot of money. I decided to pull the trigger and paid the deposit and will pay the remaining next week and pick it up. It still gives me butterflies and I can't wait to have it on my wrist. Hopefully it looks as good on my wrist as it does on its own. Will post pictures once I figure out how to do the whole picture shenanigan..

Use tapatalk to upload picture.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:24 PM   #40
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Wish I could grab it if you pass. :D

Sadly, I know that's not how it works.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:26 PM   #41
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congrats!
Old 19 February 2020, 06:41 PM   #42
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

Thank you!
Your 5167R looks so good on you.
Old 19 February 2020, 06:52 PM   #43
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Grats! Glad you bought it!
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:03 PM   #44
ts3
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a great outcome and you hopefully won't have second thoughts no more.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:42 PM   #45
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you!
Your 5167R looks so good on you.
Thanks! Please show some pics when you pick it up!

Old 19 February 2020, 09:53 PM   #46
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good choice. Please post some pictures when you get the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:43 PM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Well I like this reaction alot more and justifies you buying it, just make sure you are not sacrificing anything important for it and that you are being financially responsible with what is really just a lux toy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:04 AM   #48
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Congrats pictures don't do Pateks any justice versus when you see them in person and try them on.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:05 AM   #49
thase13
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! It’s a fantastic timepiece. Wear it in great health.
thase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:07 AM   #50
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing beats seeing the piece irl. Congrats and post pics!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:13 AM   #51
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Not top of your list, and not within budget. It is a gorgeous watch but it is not an investment. In my view you should pass.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:27 AM   #52
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Enjoy !
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:37 AM   #53
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
That's one hell of a first PP. Congratulations.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:42 AM   #54
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
you’ll love wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #55
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I am glad you fell in love with it. That solves my main concern for you!

From a pure economic position, to buy this as your FIRST piece as well as invest in the relationship it is a win win win:

1) Win 1 - Getting an awesome piece that you love
2) Win 2 - The piece will retain value as it is a sports watch
3) Win 3 - You just invested $ into the relationship which will line you up for more pieces in the future.

I was concerned about #1, but since you solved that problem! CONGRATULATIONS ON AN AMAZING PIECE....wrist shots please!

Quote:

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 08:29 AM   #56
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Enjoy!

Last edited by Seaborn; 20 February 2020 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Change in status
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 10:25 AM   #57
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

Thank you!

Thank you everyone so much for your advice.
I've just paid my deposit and will pay the remaining balance next week after I re-adjust my credit card limit as it's not ready to digest this kind of bill
Will definitely post pictures for everyone.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:51 AM   #58
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Reading the OPs first post, it doesn’t sound like he specifically asked to be on the list for this watch. It also doesn’t sound like he can’t afford it, it’s just that he may be saving the money for a watch he wants more. Or like me, despite being able to afford more watches than I own, I have other financial priorities too so I try to find a balance.

That being said, I’d go along with most here. I’d look at the watch in person and if it didn’t sing to me I’d pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read OP’s last post and rethink.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #59
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I was gonna caution the OP from viewing it for the high risk of infatuation. There you go...

Congrats OP! Very nice reference!
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 04:13 PM   #60
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Photos of incoming?
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote