The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2020, 02:43 PM   #91
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

I wonder how wealthy the typical grey market/second-hand buyer of 5711, 5168g-010, or 5164a etc is. - to spend $60-80K on a current production patek sports watch?

(I would definitely put rolex steal at 5k-10K premiums in a complete different league - i can imagine many people can justify those)
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:46 PM   #92
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Anecdotally from flippers - market is a lot softer now than December.

Once you can't walk out of an AD and double your money, they'll start calling down waiting lists and have a lot of people declining (not to mention the dreamers), then I think we'll be back to reasonable wait times at least on Subs and maybe GMTs.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:53 PM   #93
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
I wonder how wealthy the typical grey market/second-hand buyer of 5711, 5168g-010, or 5164a etc is. - to spend $60-80K on a current production patek sports watch?

(I would definitely put rolex steal at 5k-10K premiums in a complete different league - i can imagine many people can justify those)
It is cheaper than bundling at MSRP. Ex. Bundling a 5524G/R at MSRP to get a 5167A... A 5167A from a gray would save you much more $, albeit you won't have that "RELATIONSHIP" built with an AD.
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:33 PM   #94
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Lets not even mention bubble again never.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:39 PM   #95
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
Lets not even mention bubble again never.
Eqqsquizitine Buble-Schwinslow
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:40 PM   #96
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
It is cheaper than bundling at MSRP. Ex. Bundling a 5524G/R at MSRP to get a 5167A... A 5167A from a gray would save you much more $, albeit you won't have that "RELATIONSHIP" built with an AD.
Perhaps. But you do end up with two watches that way, unless you despise the 5524.
Old 21 February 2020, 08:02 PM   #97
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Perhaps. But you do end up with two watches that way, unless you despise the 5524.
I dont think many who bundle does. Unworn pieces are getting asked at $US 32-34k (not in TRF), which probably meant that they are getting sold at lower prices...

If you net the market prices of those two watches... Well, you get the drift...
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:27 PM   #98
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Bubbles are typically defined after the fact - e.g., after some event causes deflation.

Otherwise, what some call a bubble just resembles a hockey stick in terms of the “new normal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:32 AM   #99
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Indeed. To be honest, if you look hard enough, you can find a Dato Up/Down for less than the "grey market value" of a 5711 Blue.

And, if you go with a slightly older Dato (no Up/Down) you can get it for slightly above half the price of a grey market 5711 Blue.

It's crazy.
Lange chronos are really good bang for the buck. I’ve been thinking of picking up the 1815 chrono.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #100
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Lange chronos are really good bang for the buck. I’ve been thinking of picking up the 1815 chrono.
Indeed. The 1815 Chrono is such a beauty, as well.
Old 23 February 2020, 10:56 AM   #101
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
Lange (Lange 1) if you bought used 2 years ago. The price has risen by 10-20%.
It performs better than most Patek dress watches ( calatrava or world time ).
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 10:59 AM   #102
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Expert View Post
Lange (Lange 1) if you bought used 2 years ago. The price has risen by 10-20%.
It performs better than most Patek dress watches ( calatrava or world time ).
Lange 1, perhaps. Though I haven't really been monitoring the "base" Lange 1 market.

But none of the other more complicated ones. You can still get a Dato for an incredibly low price.
Old 23 February 2020, 06:23 PM   #103
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

I wondering if people thought they were in the middle of a real estate bubble prior 2007?
Old 23 February 2020, 06:34 PM   #104
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
The bubble burst if there is no core value , just inflated price. Goods value much higher than the value of cash.
Today everything is so expensive, the government all over the world printing huge sums of money. This makes money worthless.
Today the cash value is much less than the goods. If you know what I mean.
Its the opposite of bubble.
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 06:36 PM   #105
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurogeek View Post
I wondering if people thought they were in the middle of a real estate bubble prior 2007?
I did in 2005. Does that count?
Old 23 February 2020, 06:53 PM   #106
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
In 2008 - 2009 it was mainly the corporation that pushes the debt over the limit. Anyone can borrow to buy a home regardless of their income

Today the amount you can borrow to buy real estate is tied to how much income tax you have paid. Not how much asset you can provide to the bank. Which is somewhat looks much healthier.

However another equation is Government seems over spending and continue to do so. And when they can not meet obligations , they print more money which cause prices to increase, some people see it as bubble.
Will it burst? As long as government all over the world still prints money to finance their obligations I see price will likely keep on increasing. Look at stock price of companies that barely make profit, they skyrocket. Look at price of foods , electricty, gas they skyrocket. Infact today if any basic commodities price that do not increase it means it has been manipulated.

Is there alternatives? Well no, we can only hope price not to rise too fast. But it will keep on rising. But price rising (real estate, stock market , commodities) is not due to optimism or someone with some speculative plan to rig the price up. It is purely because governments around the world over spending and printing money. Especially China expansion with their Belt Road initiative and also European Union plan to create great European single market to challenge USA or China dominance ; USA plan to put America as priority makes America Great Again, revitalise their ailing industry; all these honourable goals seem requires endless amount of money which not available and so it will largely financed through printing money.

With UK going out of single European market, means Germany and France have to pump in more cash which I don’t think they have any. So they will print more money to prevent single European market from collapsing.

As long as governments continue printing money, every thing will be more expensive, real estate , stock market, commodities, luxury watches prices all will rise even you have recessions or depressions. Company may bankrupt, massive layoff and economic collapse but price will still rise no matter what happens.
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 11:52 PM   #107
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you want to hedge inflation there are much better ways than wristwatches.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:25 AM   #108
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
An understatement indeed!
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:24 PM   #109
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Like what? Can you give me an example?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:46 PM   #110
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Yes please. . .
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #111
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

REITS , TIPS, reinvesting dividends and other capital immediately, honestly hedging inflation with almost anything more stable than jewelry would be better. Far too much unsystematic risk using watches as an instrument for investment.

Brokering watch sales in one thing. Buying with the intent to capture gains is a whole different idea and a silly one.
Old 25 February 2020, 12:13 AM   #112
jd57
"TRF" Member

If the coronavirus takes down the global economy (as seems likely) and world markets drop by more than a simple correction (as also seems likely, particularly in the U.S.) we will see whether certain stainless steel sportwatches are a storehouse of value or are in a bubble (my guess is the latter).
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:00 AM   #113
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
If the coronavirus takes down the global economy (as seems likely) and world markets drop by more than a simple correction (as also seems likely, particularly in the U.S.) we will see whether certain stainless steel sportwatches are a storehouse of value or are in a bubble (my guess is the latter).

Agreed. Interestingly, there are small signs of price decreases on PP Rolex SS on C24, and they don’t seem to be moving. Quite a few 116500 (black dial) at $20k, and they’re not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #114
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

The fact that it’s even debated that watches are a quality store of value at 1.5-2x msrp is hilarious.

I can only imagine the panic selling that’s occurring today. I would bet DavidSW, WatchBox, Watchfinder, European watch etc inboxes are jammed with people offering to sell stuff they overpaid for.

The only question I have is are they buying, if so what and at what price.
Old 25 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #115
jd57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The fact that it’s even debated that watches are a quality store of value at 1.5-2x msrp is hilarious.

I can only imagine the panic selling that’s occurring today. I would bet DavidSW, WatchBox, Watchfinder, European watch etc inboxes are jammed with people offering to sell stuff they overpaid for.

The only question I have is are they buying, if so what and at what price.
Agree
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #116
77T
2024 Pledge Member

If anyone bought at the then high price levels in 2018 for SS “high demand” models - and socked them away for future gain - then they might sell off a few Daytonas below the 2020 market price and still make money.

That would make it appear like a softening market methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 07:23 AM   #117
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
REITS , TIPS, reinvesting dividends and other capital immediately, honestly hedging inflation with almost anything more stable than jewelry would be better. Far too much unsystematic risk using watches as an instrument for investment.

Brokering watch sales in one thing. Buying with the intent to capture gains is a whole different idea and a silly one.
I know a lot of investors who own TIPS and none of them are making out particularly well. Sacrificing current yield for a call feature on future inflation has been a real loser for the last ten years.
Old 25 February 2020, 07:29 AM   #118
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Agreed. Interestingly, there are small signs of price decreases on PP Rolex SS on C24, and they don’t seem to be moving. Quite a few 116500 (black dial) at $20k, and they’re not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's one at $20K, next lowest is $20,845 no B+P.
Old 25 February 2020, 07:32 AM   #119
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know a lot of investors who own TIPS and none of them are making out particularly well. Sacrificing current yield for a call feature on future inflation has been a real loser for the last ten years.

I was merely naming instruments that are more suited to the job than buying rolex. I’m not saying they are appropriate for every situation.

My personal go to would be real estate but not everyone is up for the second job that is being a landlord.
Old 25 February 2020, 07:34 AM   #120
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
If the corona virus takes down the global economy, what is it that you think will be a store of value? Will it be shown that all assets except, ironically, bonds were in a bubble? Nothing will survive an economic nuclear explosion. We learned that in 2009.