The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2020, 02:52 AM   #1
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Interesting AD mindset!

Thought I might share a few words I found quite interesting while speaking to a Manager at a local boutique shop yesterday.

My visit there was to see and try on the 116519LN steel dial. It's a beauty!!! However, I did not pull the trigger, as I'm not financially ready to drop 30k on my wrist but I'm getting there!

Back to the sentence from the manager. This item was not out on the floor in the display case and I had to ask if they still had one. The SA and Manager were pleased to be of help, fantastic service, even the owner popped over to say hello!

So, after a few minutes I asked the Manager why not display the watch in the case? He replied "It's a sold watch, just stored in our safe". To me this has a few different ways to interpret....They know that they can sell a piece without ever even showing it. Joe blow, off the street would never even know about it without asking. Also, it leads me to believe the safe is packed full of goodies and will be sold to whom they choose.

Anyway, while I found the statement to be very honest, yet somewhat interestingly disturbing...
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:03 AM   #2
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Wait, did the AD offer to sell it to you? Or were they just being friendly and letting you take it for a test drive. To me, a "sold watch" means they have talked to someone who said they will take it, and it's just awaiting pickup. If they were willing to sell it to you out from under someone else it sure doesn't seem very honest to me.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:05 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post

Anyway, while I found the statement to be very honest, yet somewhat interestingly disturbing...
I believe this to be very common and business as usual.

At least they were nice enough to show it to you. Hard enough to see many pieces lately.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:07 AM   #4
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
Wait, did the AD offer to sell it to you? Or were they just being friendly and letting you take it for a test drive. To me, a "sold watch" means they have talked to someone who said they will take it, and it's just awaiting pickup. If they were willing to sell it to you out from under someone else it sure doesn't seem very honest to me.
Please, forgive me if my wording isn't clear.

Yes, I was able to purchase it, however I opted to hold off for the time being.

I'm trying to say that, to them it's sold, (on their say so). Like money in the bank mindset.... Which, I'm sure is completely true.

It just had me step back and think what else are they holding and don't disclose, etc...
Old 22 February 2020, 03:10 AM   #5
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I believe this to be very common and business as usual.

At least they were nice enough to show it to you. Hard enough to see many pieces lately.
With empty display cases, these policies make my head shake....

Yes, it was a very pleasant visit, and I do love their company. I remember my grandparents shopping there decades ago.
Old 22 February 2020, 03:10 AM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Also, it leads me to believe the safe is packed full of goodies and will be sold to whom they choose.
There's a lot of good stuff in the safe. However, I'd lean more towards it being to vet flippers more than anything. My primary AD says they get people stopping in and calling constantly simply asking for anything that's easy to resell. Hiding it, so to speak, seems to be one way to combat this.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:11 AM   #7
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I think that confirms the accepted theory that the empty display cases is not for the lack of watches to sell but rather a measure to deter unqualified customers.

Knowing the prevalence of Rolex flipping and the out of control grey prices these days I wouldn't blame Rolex or AD's for being choosy with whom they sell to; as a matter of fact I applaud them for doing this.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #8
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
There's a lot of good stuff in the safe. However, I'd lean more towards it being to vet flippers more than anything. My primary AD says they get people stopping in and calling constantly simply asking for anything that's easy to resell. Hiding it, so to speak, seems to be one way to combat this.
Now, that does make sense! Thank you!!!
A WG will be on my wrist in the near future!
Old 22 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #9
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I think that confirms the accepted theory that the empty display cases is not for the lack of watches to sell but rather a measure to deter unqualified customers.

Knowing the prevalence of Rolex flipping and the out of control grey prices these days I wouldn't blame Rolex or AD's for being choosy with whom they sell to; as a matter of fact I applaud them for doing this.
Another good post, I'm getting it!
Old 22 February 2020, 03:14 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Now, that does make sense! Thank you!!!
A WG will be on my wrist in the near future!
Can't wait for the incoming. You're in for a great one!
Old 22 February 2020, 03:16 AM   #11
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Can't wait for the incoming. You're in for a great one!
With all this CC talk around here, I'm thinking sooner than later....

Have a great weekend!
Old 22 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #12
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

I don't really get the "ADs don't want to sell to flippers" argument, unless it's an attempt to keep their own contacts on the grey market happy.

I get keeping them hidden away to try and draw in bundle deals, and I understand keeping them in safe for people who have shown interest and left their contact info/regular customers. But just keeping stock in the back to stop flippers? Nah, I don't buy it.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #13
Phooi
"TRF" Member

I interpret that statement as that the watch has been sold and is awaiting pickup. They were kind enough to show it to you.

That has happened to me at ADs. When I purchased my SS SKydweller, they called that it arrived and would be held in the safe until I came to pick it up. They were not going to put it out on the floor. One, too many people would want to handle it. Second, too many people would try to buy it. It’s amazing the stories you hear of people almost coming to blows trying to get a watch.

A second time I was asking about a BB GMT at an AD. They didn’t have one on the floor. After I chatted with them awhile, the SA went in the back to see if they had one they could show me. It was sold but was willing to let me see it in the metal. Sadly it had been picked up.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With all this CC talk around here, I'm thinking sooner than later....

Have a great weekend!
You just need a few more night club spots and you'll be set!

Enjoy yours as well!
Old 22 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #15
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
They behave this way because, frankly, they can get away with it, right now at least. The times will change, they'll get more stock, or demand will soften, and we might start seeing wait times shrink and maybe even previously uber desirable watches in the case. Probably not anytime soon, but one day.

When that time comes, remember the AD's who treated you well, and the ones who didn't.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
With empty display cases, these policies make my head shake....
I agree

Quote:
Sad but true

Quote:

And since the AD's can sell whatever they have in the safe from their allocation, it is still "sold" so they are making money without dealing with fast money flippers who have no real interest in the watches
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:22 AM   #17
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
I interpret that statement as that the watch has been sold and is awaiting pickup. They were kind enough to show it to you.
Re-read OP's post; he says he was offered the watch to purchase. It was obviously not on hold for someone else.

I get what OP was saying. Basically the AD was treating the watch as sold; it's only a matter of whom to.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:27 AM   #18
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

The whole process is exhausting. We see these threads daily at least. Easier for some to simply look at other brands. Thanks for the share. More insight to what seems like an impossible situation. Empty your displays and sell more goods.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:33 AM   #19
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
They are all sold or otherwise spoken for - they know their GreyD will have it along with all the other 'allocation' pieces in the safe.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #20
brotherlouie
"TRF" Member

AD does not want to display it because it was sell really fast if it is advertised. That is what he means by Its a Sold Watch. Also keeping it on the side in case a favored client shows interest in wanting one the AD can pull it out and say it just so happens we just got one in or message them weeks later, this just came in! we are holding it for you.
brotherlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:39 AM   #21
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:

Yep. A couple weeks ago I went in to pick up a DJ36 for my gf that I had ordered. My SA pulls out 3 additional blue dial DJ41s with diff configurations from the back. I had my choice of any of them. I ended up coming home with a watch for myself too.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:47 AM   #22
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
You just need a few more night club spots and you'll be set!

Enjoy yours as well!
Humm, I could use some of what I read here for new material on stage! My pole earlier showed a hell of a lot of Hockey Pucks!
Quote:
Re-read OP's post; he says he was offered the watch to purchase. It was obviously not on hold for someone else.

I get what OP was saying. Basically the AD was treating the watch as sold; it's only a matter of whom to.
Thanks everyone, you guys are great to speak with!

dtwer, in a nutshell, you said it! Thank you!

I can also add, the manager made a point of saying he wanted only, or primarily to sell to new customers, not the 14 piece watch collector, where it will sit out of view...This was nice to hear, I hope he meant it. Which I personally believe he did.
Old 22 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #23
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Damn. $30k watches are “as good as sold” nowadays?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:08 AM   #24
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

It's no surprise what the ADs are doing. Rolex watches are almost good as gold these days. Wait... I think they sell more than gold. :(
rogerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:20 AM   #25
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I remember years ago, right before I bought my watch, I was talking with the AD about different models and I mentioned the Daytona. And I noticed they didn't have any on display and he said:

"Oh, we have them for our regular customers. Just not out on display."

I always thought that was interesting.
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:25 AM   #26
minhc88
"TRF" Member

The big AD's have lots of goodies it the back. They're all there waiting to be packaged deals. All my local AD's are very straight forward with what needs to be bought before achieving certain hot pieces, no waitlist. It's the way of Rolex now and store owners are loving this. They are able to move hard to sell pieces from other brands as well. My local AD saids there are customers that spend 100k on random watches and jewelry just for the Daytona C. I'm no where close to competing with that so I can't be upset lol, the owners are trying to run the most profitable business they can.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:40 AM   #27
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Interesting AD mindset!

Quote:
Thought I might share a few words I found quite interesting while speaking to a Manager at a local boutique shop yesterday.

My visit there was to see and try on the 116519LN steel dial. It's a beauty!!! However, I did not pull the trigger, as I'm not financially ready to drop 30k on my wrist but I'm getting there!

Back to the sentence from the manager. This item was not out on the floor in the display case and I had to ask if they still had one. The SA and Manager were pleased to be of help, fantastic service, even the owner popped over to say hello!

So, after a few minutes I asked the Manager why not display the watch in the case? He replied "It's a sold watch, just stored in our safe". To me this has a few different ways to interpret....They know that they can sell a piece without ever even showing it. Joe blow, off the street would never even know about it without asking. Also, it leads me to believe the safe is packed full of goodies and will be sold to whom they choose.

Hi Don, is the store in question an Rolex AD that sells other brands or a Rolex Biutique?
The only exclusive Rolex Boutique available in my country has almost every current Rolex Model on display. They are Working watches that when I first asked the manager why they are not for sale, given the demand, he said this is a rule imposed by Rolex Switzerland. They got to have their cases full of watches for clients to try on and see in the metal, they can’t have empty cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2020, 12:27 PM   #28
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I bought four Rolexes last year. Two came from the safe. First time we were in buying my wife her DJ, once hers was picked out, he asked what was I looking for. I told him I didn’t see what I wanted, but if he had a GMT, I would buy it right now. Low and behold, just happened to have what I wanted in the safe.
Second time I stopped in and he had three Daytona’s and I really thought I wanted one. I tried it on and honestly I just wasn’t “feeling it”, and he could see it on by the look on my face. He asked me to wait a a second he might have something in the safe that I might like. Came back with a TT SkyDweller with a black dial. He was right! I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Last edited by 2x4; 22 February 2020 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word.
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:45 PM   #29
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
It’s always in the safe so that they can choose to whom they want to sell it to.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:01 PM   #30
newu5er
"TRF" Member

I had a similar situation at my AD last week. Bare cases except for the usual RG DJs and Ladies DJs.
I asked what was new and she returned with a 126300 for me to try on. Said it wouldn't make it to the case - I didn't inquire as to what that meant. We are too that level now.

I'm waiting for a couple pieces and she mentioned that the first part of the year was the most difficult to know what they are getting next with the allocations methods Rolex uses now. ADs know what they are getting for the year, but don't know when they are getting it, so while they may know they are getting 7 BLNRs, they all could come in next week (not likely) or they could get 1 every other month or any combination according to time. Obviously if they have received their 7, they know they have to wait until next year.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote