The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2019, 03:45 AM   #31
BaselWorld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
I.like the 5131G a lot and I.like white metals so yes that's a hot favourite. The bracelet is def an acquired taste and certainly pushed the price to a different level. Production of 5131G is long done so you can take a view of how many are in the market where as the P is an unknown. Certainly in the UK they are not taking new orders for the P as its believed to be discontinued. So i am.guessing it's an existing allocation to a dealer that's being filled. I believe with a bit of luck the 5131G can be had at between $95-105k and the P probably $145k. Guess u have to work.out if the bracelet is worth $40k....seems a lot

What is your estimation as to how many 5131G have been produced in total? In any case, I strongly prefer that one over the 5131p, as the view from the north pole does not attract me.
BaselWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 04:15 AM   #32
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
This piece is in a league of its own........

Go for it......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 04:32 AM   #33
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why would it make a WT redundant.....are they thinking of also changing longitude?
Tectonic plate movement.

Quote:
Good grief...I think you need to read up about WT and GMT and SLS. If anything the cancellation.of DLS accurate and alleviate kne of its shortcomings in that it doesnt account for DLS!!!! If SLS is cancelled then everything is aligned to GMT
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #34
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Isn't this an application piece?

If so, I'd grab it if you can afford it. Plus, to me, it's stunning and I love full platinum (though you did note you'd put it on a strap).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 09:36 AM   #35
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a difficult decision to make in the next days.

I never filled out an application for this watch. I just expressed interest some years ago. But could be that the procedure varies by country.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 11:10 AM   #36
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I have a difficult decision to make in the next days.

I never filled out an application for this watch. I just expressed interest some years ago. But could be that the procedure varies by country.
i think it varies by TS' changing desire to sell more watches:::))))
this application piece stuff is definitely a great marketing tool. and it can be waived any time:::))))
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 11:47 AM   #37
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
I.like the 5131G a lot and I.like white metals so yes that's a hot favourite. The bracelet is def an acquired taste and certainly pushed the price to a different level. Production of 5131G is long done so you can take a view of how many are in the market where as the P is an unknown. Certainly in the UK they are not taking new orders for the P as its believed to be discontinued. So i am.guessing it's an existing allocation to a dealer that's being filled. I believe with a bit of luck the 5131G can be had at between $95-105k and the P probably $145k. Guess u have to work.out if the bracelet is worth $40k....seems a lot
If this math is correct, which I have no reason to doubt it, 40k price difference which is for the thing you don’t even want (bracelet) if you are planning to put it on leather. I’d go G for sure, almost indistinguishable, IMO
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 12:09 PM   #38
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselWorld View Post
What is your estimation as to how many 5131G have been produced in total? In any case, I strongly prefer that one over the 5131p, as the view from the north pole does not attract me.
Nobody really knows and there are threads on TRF where this was debated ad nauseam. There was always an strong view that little elves in the swiss elves were only able to do 40 dials a year which I think is pure rubbish....however some tell.me as many as 1500 in the production run of each metal. Now we also need to remember that people dont like.paying trey prices. So maybe as the new 5231G comes to.market people that would have bought the 5131G now opt for this route...hence more supply and depressing the prices
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 09:05 PM   #39
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I get the watch for the equivalent of usd120k. Might be possible to buy the 5131g for 95k, so 25k difference for getting a new watch from AD, name on papers, hassle buying from grey and full platinum. For 25k more, new platinum watch probably still the better deal, although I do slightly prefer the map on the G vs the 1P.

One thing I will ask my AD if getting the 5131 1P will help or hurt my chances of getting all the other watches I am on the list for (5726 blue, 5168 green, 5212a, 5968a). That is not entirely clear to me.

Could very well be that the 5131 range will have a further reduction in price ones the 5231 is available in all metals. But I personally prefer the case of the 5131, so the price dynamic could also reverse if the collector community tends to favor the 5131 going forwards. Very few of us have seen the new 5231j in real life. I haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2019, 09:22 PM   #40
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
I get the watch for the equivalent of usd120k. Might be possible to buy the 5131g for 95k, so 25k difference for getting a new watch from AD, name on papers, hassle buying from grey and full platinum. For 25k more, new platinum watch probably still the better deal, although I do slightly prefer the map on the G vs the 1P.

One thing I will ask my AD if getting the 5131 1P will help or hurt my chances of getting all the other watches I am on the list for (5726 blue, 5168 green, 5212a, 5968a). That is not entirely clear to me.

Could very well be that the 5131 range will have a further reduction in price ones the 5231 is available in all metals. But I personally prefer the case of the 5131, so the price dynamic could also reverse if the collector community tends to favor the 5131 going forwards. Very few of us have seen the new 5231j in real life. I haven’t.

If you buy it , it will help your chances of the other peices

And as for the 5231j it's absolutely beautiful, and I'm glad I was lucky enough to be allocated 1

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 09:23 PM   #41
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:

I opted not to go for the 5231J as the metal generally does nothing for me and I find the colours a bit flat....I also find where they placed Patek Philippe to be annoying if you are buying a watch that is all about the dial. However saying that people will want it for the flip value. I also find makings WT smaller when its hard enough to read as it is a bit non sensical and in MY case the case doesnt sit on my wrist as well as the 5130....I would also emphasise the 5575 doesnt either...if retail is 120 then versus the 105....the P all day....
Old 22 November 2019, 09:19 AM   #42
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Holy cow! This is some next level stuff. Absolutely love the watch. Boy. If I could afford this, I’d be eternally wearing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 11:36 AM   #43
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
As much as I would recommend and say yes, the fact you had to ask that question on a $150k watch tells me that the answer is no.

So I say no.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 02:09 PM   #44
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
As much as I would recommend and say yes, the fact you had to ask that question on a $150k watch tells me that the answer is no.

So I say no.
People contemplate about watch purchase decisions all the time for various reasons.

If you do a search here, many years ago, the famous Khalid was contemplating whether he should purchase the 5711/1P which he was offered from a Salon/AD. This was several years before the Anniversary version of the 5711/1P came out. In hindsight, it was a simple question. But even mega-collectors like Khalid sometimes contemplate purchase decisions and ask the audience on a $100k watch purchase, even though he owns numerous watches priced several times more expensive.

For the OP, I know there are many naysayers here. But ultimately go with your gut. Ask if the watch fits into your overall collection.

As a disclosure, I own the 5575G and the 5131R. However I always say that a platinum Patek is extra special!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 07:15 PM   #45
benzng
"TRF" Member

OP, Mark, would it be possible to see the watch first hand before deciding? I would go for it as I think price wise you will not be hurt. P will always command a higher price. Don't know if possible to remove the bracelet and put on a strap for this?
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 04:35 AM   #46
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzng View Post
OP, Mark, would it be possible to see the watch first hand before deciding? I would go for it as I think price wise you will not be hurt. P will always command a higher price. Don't know if possible to remove the bracelet and put on a strap for this?
Had a look at it and the bracelet is too shiny for me. Weight was ok and it wears very comfortably. It is possible to remove the bracelet, but the lugs are a bit longer than on the G/J/R versions, so a standard strap won’t look that nice. Needs a custom made strap but that is not a big issue. Will decide next week.
Old 23 November 2019, 04:42 AM   #47
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
People contemplate about watch purchase decisions all the time for various reasons.

If you do a search here, many years ago, the famous Khalid was contemplating whether he should purchase the 5711/1P which he was offered from a Salon/AD. This was several years before the Anniversary version of the 5711/1P came out. In hindsight, it was a simple question. But even mega-collectors like Khalid sometimes contemplate purchase decisions and ask the audience on a $100k watch purchase, even though he owns numerous watches priced several times more expensive.

For the OP, I know there are many naysayers here. But ultimately go with your gut. Ask if the watch fits into your overall collection.

As a disclosure, I own the 5575G and the 5131R. However I always say that a platinum Patek is extra special!
Good point. I guess for me it is that simple :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 05:51 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would not buy it unless it is a real keeper for you and you will wear it. What the future market may be or not be on this watch is really unknown at this point.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 10:16 PM   #49
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

Not to thread hijack but how about the 5575. Does the moon phase disc visibly float above the moon?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 07:31 AM   #50
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Not to thread hijack but how about the 5575. Does the moon phase disc visibly float above the moon?
As for the 5575, I can't say that I looked at the moonphase part that carefully. It is a nicely done moonphase and looks better than all the other Patek watches with a moonphase.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 07:34 AM   #51
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Just to let everyone know - I turned down the watch and hope the next person on the list will enjoy it.

5168 green should be my next incoming.
Old 27 November 2019, 07:48 AM   #52
pam66
"TRF" Member

good decision to let go of the 5131P. btw, i'd do the same with the 5168 green though:::)))
Old 27 November 2019, 11:20 AM   #53
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
good decision to let go of the 5131P. btw, i'd do the same with the 5168 green though:::)))
The designers at PP are racking their.minds over the 2020 colour rendition
Old 27 November 2019, 09:15 PM   #54
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The designers at PP are racking their.minds over the 2020 colour rendition
pink is still an option.
Old 27 November 2019, 09:16 PM   #55
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
pink is still an option.
Too downmarket for Ninja kid
Old 28 November 2019, 08:48 PM   #56
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, but think I will go for the 5168green. I really like my 5065 with green strap. And as I have the 5168blue, I know how big and flat it wears.

There is something cool about a green patek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2020, 10:12 PM   #57
henryjoeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270/5235/5131
I vote with my feet.
The cloisonné is beautiful and the old fashion bracelet is surprisingly very comfortable on wrist.
Have been waiting for 2 years, thanks my AD for allocating it to me.

Best,
Henry

henryjoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:09 PM   #58
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Lovely peice but I have never liked the engraved bezel.
Old 20 February 2020, 11:10 PM   #59
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryjoeng View Post
I vote with my feet.
The cloisonné is beautiful and the old fashion bracelet is surprisingly very comfortable on wrist.
Have been waiting for 2 years, thanks my AD for allocating it to me.

Best,
Henry

Congratulations! This watch is spectacular, and agreed, the bracelet is incredibly comfortable.
Old 21 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #60
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Henry, that is a gorgeous timepiece. Big Congratulations! Great pic too, love the orchids.
:-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote