The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 6 June 2011, 01:26 AM   #1
texex91
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Daytona SS (White Dial) - V

Okay, I finally received my Daytona SS White dial V yesterday. At age 42, and after owning 7 different Sub's (SS, TT, 18K), GMTIIC and a few others, I decided it was time to try the Daytona to stand out a little more.

Wow, what a huge disappointment so far. Now before you start throwing eggs, let me explain my opinion.

1) NO DATE. Okay obviously I knew that when I bought it, but I really had no clue how much I would miss that. Something I use all the time (for biz and contracts) and if you are thinking about Daytona you need to really think through this--especially if you owned a Sub.

2) TIME IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. It really is hard to read time on the Daytona (maybe it's the white dial). I continually found myself search for the time with all of the other things going on on the watch, plus just hard to locate.

3) WATCH DOES NOT POP. Yes it's a nice watch, and different than Sub, I get it. But a little too bland for me. Again personal preference. The nice thing vs. Sub or other date sporty is that it's not a dime a dozen like Sub. But the Daytona is becoming a little more frequent (especially in Austin where I live and there is a lot of $$).

4) DON'T LIKE THE BEZEL. Impossible to read small numbers, and let's face it, unless you are into car racing of no use. Also, it 'blends' into the rest of the watch, which is a disappointment vs more of a 3D effect of Sub or YM.

I think after this venture, I have clearly decided I need a date and a little 'bigger' presence on my arm (seems small when you put it on vs Sub).

I will look at Yachtmaster S/Plat. Might be a nice combo to what I am looking for. I don't care that the clasp is 'old' and that it's not meant for Yachting--which is good since I don't own one. I also don't drive an F1 car, but I bought the Daytona. I'm a diver, but didn't buy my Sub for the 3 times that I went diving in the past 5 years. I would suspect most people don't really use their Rolexes for their intended uses on a regular basis (unless you count keeping time of course).

Had a Rolex for the past 21 years, and will continue to own them. But I am REALLY disappointed in the Daytona.

[IMG][/IMG]
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Sorry to hear you don't care for your new Daytona,maybe give it a little time before you dump it.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 01:58 AM   #3
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
When I got my Black faced Daytona a couple of years ago it had been something I had been eagerly awaiting and I really couldn't wait to receive it. WHen I did get it...........well I was very dissapointed. I had it for less than 1 week and ended up swapping it for a black faced Milgauss and a Sub 16610LV. Milgauss lasted another week then that got swapped too.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 02:10 AM   #4
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
As a Daytona watch collector, I respect your opinion, however, I dont agree with it. I find my meteorite to pop and easy to read. Maybe the SS white dial is the wrong watch for you. I hope you find the watch that makes you happy!

John
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 02:21 AM   #5
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I felt the same about my SS black dial...Traded it in for a TT version and it made all the difference...I am now a fanatic Daytona freak...You just got the wrong model..
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
One of the reasons for me considering unloading my SS is the poor visibility and the useless chrono as it is unreadable. I do have an interest in the TT however.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 02:40 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i went down the same road as OP.

i think when you own a conventional/functional model for some years
ie date/easy to read/ usable bezel, its hard to move into a daytona.

i agree with all your criticisms and sold mine after only a few months.

ps do you notice the rattle the movement makes when you tap it????
its from the new improved bearing in the movement, ill stick to the old quiet style...
the rattle put me over the top and i got rid of it.
Old 6 June 2011, 02:47 AM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

subtona -

I did notice that rattle and was wondering what that was! Just antoehr reason to add to my list. Now it's a SubC or YM SS
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 02:54 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i wanted to buy 1 20 years ago but settled on a sub when i found out daytona was unattainable....best thing that could have happened to me.
sometimes you just have to experience it to know... at least you should be able to unload the daytona quickly:-) just hope they don't read this thread...oops.

apparently rattle is normal, i compared it to others, i thought there was something wrong.

not for me, its gone and i haven't looked back.

ps. apparently the zenith were even more difficult to see:-)

pps i should probably get rid of that belt buckle now:-)
Old 6 June 2011, 03:17 AM   #10
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
Having not owned one I can't comment on your points raised, however I really like the Daytona, but not having a date window is the one thing that puts me off

Sorry you had to find out the negatives the hard way!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 03:19 AM   #11
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Hi Texex91

Before selling the watch would you consider a dial change? I had no interest in the Daytona, being a commited Yacht-Master wearer (I've had three!) until I wore Marke's SS with the WG dial. Now I want one!!

Here's the thread with some superb pics:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=83373

The only thing I would change is to make the central & subdial hands red.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 03:23 AM   #12
Mrdi
Banned

I agree Tex.
Taixas salesmen need BLING and the Daytona
is not a yellow Dodge Viper with headers.
Perhaps a President in gold with diamonds would meet your needs. It tells you the day as well as the date, just in case you have trouble remembering the day as well as the date.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Dial pic from the thread I included:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Daytona Dial.gif (240.5 KB, 7200 views)

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 03:45 AM   #14
RJC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Thats a shame. I love mine.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSC_2676.jpeg (54.3 KB, 7144 views)
File Type: jpeg DSC_2681.jpeg (57.3 KB, 7114 views)
File Type: jpeg DSC_2686.jpeg (67.6 KB, 7124 views)
File Type: jpeg DSC_2677.jpeg (63.9 KB, 7118 views)

Current - DSSD 116660 - Sea-Dweller 126600
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2011, 04:55 AM   #15
1kw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
What a great looking dial
I picked up a brand new white face SS Daytona while on vacation 2 weeks ago. I love mine. Yes to all the things mentioned above. It does feel great on the wrist, much lighter and more comfortable then my GMT II ceramic. The SS Daytona is hard to buy for a reason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytona.jpg (195.1 KB, 7085 views)
File Type: gif Daytona Dial.gif (240.5 KB, 7098 views)
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 10:28 PM   #16
mitchy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kw View Post
What a great looking dial
I picked up a brand new white face SS Daytona while on vacation 2 weeks ago. I love mine. Yes to all the things mentioned above. It does feel great on the wrist, much lighter and more comfortable then my GMT II ceramic. The SS Daytona is hard to buy for a reason
nice pics

John Lennon
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 08:11 AM   #17
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
I love this Dial

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

I kind of agree with the OP, I really wanted to love the watch but it was not a keeper for me. It is more wrist jewelry! ;-). (but it is very photogenic!)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Mrdi
Banned

Says Tex:
"it was time to try the Daytona to stand out a little more"

Maybe a tattoo on your forehead would help..
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Kevin B
"TRF" Member

I have to agree with the issue of telling time. I have a black dial on mine and really struggle to tell the time. Man, I would love to have the white dial that Tony posted on mine, my problem would be solved
Kevin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It may taking a little using before ...

One settles for a Daytona.

Daytona is not for everyone IMHO, factor that in with the hefty price tag, the availability, the functional feature which makes for a busy dial and the no date feature.

It took me quite a while to settle in to my SS Daytona white, almost to the point of selling it. Fortunately, there is now more love on it and I actually find the white dial more legible but am a date kind of guy. I love the comfy wearing of the Daytona. Nowadays, I wear my Dayttona on weekend and on sports events. It still put a big smile on my face to have owned one.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It may take a little using before ...

One settles for a Daytona.

Daytona is not for everyone IMHO, factor that in with the hefty price tag, the availability, the functional feature which makes for a busy dial and the no date feature.

It took me quite a while to settle in to my SS Daytona white, almost to the point of selling it. Fortunately, there is now more love on it and I actually find the white dial more legible but am a date kind of guy. I love the comfy wearing of the Daytona. Nowadays, I wear my Dayttona on weekend and on sports events. It still put a big smile on my face to have owned one.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 07:59 PM   #23
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
I think you need glasses...lol
Ranfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2012, 02:17 PM   #24
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
the op's observations are very accurate. there are certainly better chronographs out there for less money. speedmaster, zenith, iwc.

its not always about the brand or the prestige.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2012, 11:11 PM   #25
aandrianto
"TRF" Member

Watch: .......
The positive side of having no date is.... you don't have to adjust the date....
aandrianto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2012, 01:35 AM   #26
Arki

Watch: DJ,GV,SUB,Daytona
I do kinda miss the date feature when i wear my black daytona after using my sub date on rotation. But guess what , the daytona still gets more wrist time than my GV,TTdatejust & Sub combined . I wonder why ?
Arki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2012, 09:26 PM   #27
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
All the op's points are valid ones. After 30+ years of wearing a Speedy and Submarimer I picked up a SS Daytona black dial, Nov. 2011.

Inspite of not being as easy to read as my old faithfuls I still love this watch. It took four months for the honeymoon to come to an end. At present it serves as my dress/weekend watch.

The Daytona still puts a big smile on my face, and every time I look at it one word comes to mind, "Masterpiece".
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 12:05 PM   #28
DesertGoon

Watch: Sub date 16610T
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Okay, I finally received my Daytona SS White dial V yesterday. At age 42, and after owning 7 different Sub's (SS, TT, 18K), GMTIIC and a few others, I decided it was time to try the Daytona to stand out a little more.

Wow, what a huge disappointment so far. Now before you start throwing eggs, let me explain my opinion.

1) NO DATE. Okay obviously I knew that when I bought it, but I really had no clue how much I would miss that. Something I use all the time (for biz and contracts) and if you are thinking about Daytona you need to really think through this--especially if you owned a Sub.

this makes it maintenance free since we don't have to change the date for certain months.

2) TIME IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. It really is hard to read time on the Daytona (maybe it's the white dial). I continually found myself search for the time with all of the other things going on on the watch, plus just hard to locate.

at the age of 40's we tend to have a short-sighted vision and the poor contrast between white dial and silver hands makes it even harder to tell the time.

my comments above.
DesertGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 08:58 PM   #29
Mercman1
"TRF" Member

I have come very close the pulling the trigger on buying the SS Daytona (white) as per OP, but the lack of date has put me off.

No matter how much I try to convince myself that I am ok without a date, it just so happens that a few moments later, I'll be looking at my wrist to check out the date for work, or some other reason.

I really really wanted to buy this model and kind of had the same feelings as OP, but felt I would be lynched if I even said such things in public.

Texex91 - you're a brave man, but I think the points you raised are very valid and despite the Daytona being considered a must-have in a collection, I think we all must choose wisely and ultimately settle for what is practical and useful to us, not just go with what others say.

So, what did i buy instead of the Daytona - waiting for the new DJII 116300!
Mercman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Gauravchopra
"TRF" Member

Hi all,
I just sold my steel gold champaign dial.
I am a male 35 yrs.......
Looking for an upgrade.......
Will the new rosé gold ceramic or rose gold bracelet be worth it!!!!!!!!!!!
Gauravchopra is offline   Reply With Quote