The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 April 2018, 04:10 PM   #1
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
Thoughts on DJ 16013? Did I make a mistake buy?

I was thinking about going with a new air king with a budget of $5500-$6200 but came across a vintage two tone champagne dial DJ in great condition at Tourneau and purchased it for $3440 (they threw in a brown leather strap and a travel case). I’ve never owned vintage, circa 1985 and have mixed emotions after purchasing it. Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.
Sureshotdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:16 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotdjs View Post
I was thinking about going with a new air king with a budget of $5500-$6200 but came across a vintage two tone champagne dial DJ in great condition at Tourneau and purchased it for $3440 (they threw in a brown leather strap and a travel case). I’ve never owned vintage, circa 1985 and have mixed emotions after purchasing it. Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Uh ... pix?
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:17 PM   #3
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Uh ... pix?

Pretty sure you overpaid from tourneau but please post pix.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

Bought it today so it's being shipped to me. I'll have it Tuesday but below link is one exactly like it. The one I bought is polished less so the Rolex crown is very visible on the clasp. Also, the stretch on the bracelet is minor.

http://www.ermitagejewelers.com/Watc...ProductID=4615
Old 22 April 2018, 04:39 PM   #5
MonBK
Banned

What advice are you looking for AFTER you bought it?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
It's in nice condition, and with box. You couldn't buy that piece from a dealer in my part of the world at that price. I think you did ok!
Old 22 April 2018, 04:59 PM   #7
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

MonBK - should I keep it or return it?

Tomas - Thanks for that! After watching the video below, I realize why I fell in love with it. I'm going to keep it and enjoy it for a long time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgVduhoXFRA
Old 22 April 2018, 05:01 PM   #8
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

I meant this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jV9UAj4ug
Old 22 April 2018, 05:08 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotdjs View Post
MonBK - should I keep it or return it?

Tomas - Thanks for that! After watching the video below, I realize why I fell in love with it. I'm going to keep it and enjoy it for a long time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgVduhoXFRA
I would keep it.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 01:46 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Not a mistake if you love the watch. Nice DJs are in the $3K range, depending on condition and/or what comes with it. You're fine.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 08:59 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

If it came with a bracelet that's a good price. It's a great price coming from a place like Tourneau who are not known to be in the "good deal" business.

Vintage has a special charm for some and no charm at all for others. Wear it for a while and see where you fit in. If it's keeping good time I wouldn't service it but if you decide to keep it there are some relatively inexpensive maintenance items I recommend to insure a great vintage experience.

Find a good watchmaker if you don't already have one and have them replace the gaskets on the case back and stem and of course, then pressure test the watch. Acrylic crystals are relatively cheap and a new one can do wonders in making the watch beautiful.

Replace the springbars with Rolex ones. When you hear about people losing their watch it's usually a failed springbar, not the bracelet. Springbars fill with water every time you wash the watch or go swimming and rarely get a chance to dry because of the construction. The spring is in there quietly rusting away just waiting to fail. :)

Have the watchmaker check the integrity of the bracelet and clasp and especially have him ultrasound the bracelet to get 35 years of other people's DNA out of there. :)

It's a great watch, enjoy!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 09:05 AM   #12
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Keep it! Looks tight And legit seller.
Old 23 April 2018, 03:30 PM   #13
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
If it came with a bracelet that's a good price. It's a great price coming from a place like Tourneau who are not known to be in the "good deal" business.

Vintage has a special charm for some and no charm at all for others. Wear it for a while and see where you fit in. If it's keeping good time I wouldn't service it but if you decide to keep it there are some relatively inexpensive maintenance items I recommend to insure a great vintage experience.

Find a good watchmaker if you don't already have one and have them replace the gaskets on the case back and stem and of course, then pressure test the watch. Acrylic crystals are relatively cheap and a new one can do wonders in making the watch beautiful.

Replace the springbars with Rolex ones. When you hear about people losing their watch it's usually a failed springbar, not the bracelet. Springbars fill with water every time you wash the watch or go swimming and rarely get a chance to dry because of the construction. The spring is in there quietly rusting away just waiting to fail. :)

Have the watchmaker check the integrity of the bracelet and clasp and especially have him ultrasound the bracelet to get 35 years of other people's DNA out of there. :)

Thank you very much for the sound advice!

I just joined the Rolex forum/community and I couldn't love it more! Everyone has been great!
Old 30 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

I've been enjoying it since Thursday!! Thanks!!!

IMG_1083.JPG
Old 30 April 2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

IMG_1084.jpg
Old 30 April 2018, 07:12 AM   #16
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

These models are tongue-in-cheek called the American Psycho Datejust, right?

FWIW, I love TT Datejusts
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 07:27 AM   #17
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Very nice!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 08:22 AM   #18
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
These models are tongue-in-cheek called the American Psycho Datejust, right?

FWIW, I love TT Datejusts
Actually the American Psycho has the tapestry dial. It was prevalent in the movie.

Here's mine.

As far as making a mistake I think that given today's market for Rolex watches it's a very reasonable price if you like the watch. I've got one and have no plans of ever selling it. Mine came with the original warranty as well as an extra dial which I had removed and replaced with the original. It was bought a while back.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #19
Sureshotdjs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Actually the American Psycho has the tapestry dial. It was prevalent in the movie.

Here's mine.

As far as making a mistake I think that given today's market for Rolex watches it's a very reasonable price if you like the watch. I've got one and have no plans of ever selling it. Mine came with the original warranty as well as an extra dial which I had removed and replaced with the original. It was bought a while back.

Yes, yours is the American Psycho. Great watch, I love it!

As for my 16013, pictures don't do it justice, it looks so much better in person!