The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 December 2021, 05:14 AM   #151
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
They did all that she said admitted to cleaning my room and said it must of happened when the door was open and she was cleaning the restroom
That does seem like normal procedures for housekeepers to keep the door open when they are cleaning the rooms.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:19 AM   #152
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Does not make you feel comfortable or safe staying in hotel with possessions of value.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:25 AM   #153
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Late to the thread. Sorry to hear this happened to you. At least it happened in Texas where there is a glimmer of hope of consequence to whoever took it. Had this happened out here in CA with the way our justice system is (not) working they would for sure get away scot-free.

I spend almost as much time in and out of hotel rooms as I do at home with my job and it seems very incriminating that your room was entered just a couple hours prior to checkout time.

Stories like this is why I cringe when I see posts about people taking their entire collections on vacations and business trips. Just not worth the risk or hassle.

I always place the do not disturb placard on my door for the entire stay- Unless I am in the same hotel for more than a week I don't need random strangers coming in and making the bed or cleaning up the room. I also do not leave valuable items behind- the watch is always on my wrist when I'm on the road. If I believe that I will be engaging in activities where the watch cannot be worn while on my travels then they stay home in the safe and I take a less valuable beater on the trip.

This is the placard I carry in my travel bag and hang it on all my hotel stays:

Old 25 December 2021, 05:32 AM   #154
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
Late to the thread. Sorry to hear this happened to you. At least it happened in Texas where there is a glimmer of hope of consequence to whoever took it. Had this happened out here in CA with the way our justice system is (not) working they would for sure get away scot-free.

I spend almost as much time in and out of hotel rooms as I do at home with my job and it seems very incriminating that your room was entered just a couple hours prior to checkout time.

Stories like this is why I cringe when I see posts about people taking their entire collections on vacations and business trips. Just not worth the risk or hassle.

I always place the do not disturb placard on my door for the entire stay- Unless I am in the same hotel for more than a week I don't need random strangers coming in and making the bed or cleaning up the room. I also do not leave valuable items behind- the watch is always on my wrist when I'm on the road. If I believe that I will be engaging in activities where the watch cannot be worn while on my travels then they stay home in the safe and I take a less valuable beater on the trip.

Haha! Its always good to say "Ok Honey I'll be back in a few" loudly when they are within earshot...even when your "honey" is 1800 miles away.
Old 25 December 2021, 05:49 AM   #155
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
That stinks Danny…Sorry!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 December 2021, 05:58 AM   #156
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

So sorry to hear this news Danny. Hopefully you’ll be made whole by the hotel or insurance.

Please keep us posted and good luck be with you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 25 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #157
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Chubb said I should be covered The adjuster called me to report it stolen to Rolex and he also wanted to see my debit card transaction when I purchased the watch
First, sorry to hear this.

Second, I (and I think others) will love to hear how the Chubb process works out when all is said and done. The process to sign up for the Hodinkee/Chubb insurance is so user friendly, but none of that matters if the claims process is not. And since it’s a relatively new product (at least with Hodinkee), there’s not a ton of info on how smoothly it goes.
Old 25 December 2021, 06:56 AM   #158
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Quote:
Chubb said I should be covered The adjuster called me to report it stolen to Rolex and he also wanted to see my debit card transaction when I purchased the watch
So sorry this happened to you.

I am going to have to reach out to Hodinkee when they get back from the holidays and ask how I can provide the transaction proof since I wired money to a trusted reseller without a paper receipt.
Old 25 December 2021, 07:04 AM   #159
Bmats

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post

I am going to have to reach out to Hodinkee when they get back from the holidays and ask how I can provide the transaction proof since I wired money to a trusted reseller without a paper receipt.
I didn’t even think of that. I did the same thing for a watch I insured with them.
Old 25 December 2021, 07:13 AM   #160
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post

Horrible event but nothing to do but move forward.

As many of us have acquired our watches via grey aka trusted sellers and also have insurance via Hodinkee, please keep us informed of the process so we might learn what to expect should a similar tragic event befall one of us.
Old 25 December 2021, 07:34 AM   #161
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post

That’s a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 25 December 2021, 08:36 AM   #162
bob sims
Banned

Not to beat up on the OP but others should learn to NEVER leave anything very expensive in a hotel room. A cheap laptop is about it for me.
Old 25 December 2021, 08:47 AM   #163
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

If you charged it on Amex. Amex may cover you
Old 25 December 2021, 08:53 AM   #164
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1mplee View Post
If you charged it on Amex. Amex may cover you
I used my debit card, however i have 90 days to add it to my policy so I will be covered. Federal insurance company called me so did Hilton corporate. Federal insurance reported it to Rolex and sent me the report.
Old 25 December 2021, 08:56 AM   #165
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
This sucks ! As I'm going to the Miami beach show next month and thinking of taking 2 of my pieces for a possible trade. Time to re-think ????
Old 25 December 2021, 08:59 AM   #166
Danny83

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
This sucks ! As I'm going to the Miami beach show next month and thinking of taking 2 of my pieces for a possible trade. Time to re-think ????
Im going to get a safety deposit box in the states I frequent.
Old 25 December 2021, 10:41 AM   #167
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Why would you leave a Rolex in a hotel room without someone in it is the better question.
Yes. A tad bit fishy smelling.
Old 25 December 2021, 10:48 AM   #168
Danny83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
Does not matter it was in my closed suitcase and locked room. It was 2 hours before my flight thats why.
Old 25 December 2021, 10:49 AM   #169
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Why would you leave a Rolex in a hotel room without someone in it is the better question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker

Would either of you care to elaborate?

If you have something to say?

Old 25 December 2021, 10:49 AM   #170
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Because maybe you don't think there's any reason for housekeeping to intrude on check-out day prior to check-out. And because the door locks. And because you believe that the security in a mainstream branded hotel is pretty good.

Look, none of this adds up to safety. But your question almost sounds like you're blaming the victim here... Let's be clear... Your question is NOT "the better question" to quote you.

Goin2drt, that tone of voice is a really nasty way to treat someone in the OP's position the day before Christmas.

And Timetracker, your "fishy smelling" comment insinuates that perhaps the OP is withholding something here — again, a pretty crappy thing to say to a victim.
Old 25 December 2021, 11:00 AM   #171
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Because maybe you don't think there's any reason for housekeeping to intrude on check-out day prior to check-out. And because the door locks. And because you believe that the security in a mainstream branded hotel is pretty good.

Look, none of this adds up to safety. But your question almost sounds like you're blaming the victim here... Let's be clear... Your question is NOT "the better question" to quote you.

Goin2drt, that tone of voice is a really nasty way to treat someone in the OP's position the day before Christmas.

And Timetracker, your "fishy smelling" comment insinuates that perhaps the OP is withholding something here — again, a pretty crappy thing to say to a victim.

Randy, you have said it perfectly and I agree. Most of you do not know Danny, I do, and I am honored to call him a friend. To those of you questioning Danny’s validity, or core values, or honesty, or any other part of his integrity, you are WRONG. It is an insult. I won’t say anything else, like what I really do want to say.
Old 25 December 2021, 11:04 AM   #172
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

A terrible turn of events, none the fault of the OP.

Danny, if you wish to update when things progress, please do, under a new updated thread.

For those skeptical or otherwise, let this be a lesson learned. Let’s not fall victim as a community, and remember this as a precautionary tale.

Safe and happy holidays to all..

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Closed Thread