The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2017, 03:17 PM   #31
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
Right now is not a good time to buy anything you would think of as a Luxury Watch like a Panerai. The market is severely depressed. Nothing is selling well except a few Rolex's. The dealers, both AD and resale types are holding their prices. But not much is changing hands except in a few trades. Resellers are finding that they practically have to give watches away in order to sell for cash. Even on the web, it has been noted by persons who blog on the luxury market that the market has crashed. Wait till the prices come down. Also buying a plain jane Panerai base model is not a good idea if you think you might ever want to sell. Stick with models that are more limited that have desirable features.
No worries here. I'm not buying to flip or sell but to enjoy. So far I'm enjoying the watch and feeling comfortable that Indid not buy new.
Old 10 August 2017, 03:48 PM   #32
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thank you Ruud.

After much reflection I decided to go with a used but mint Pam 111. My reasoning was that I really wanted the sandwich dial as this is quite distinctive to the brand. The new Luminor models no longer have the sandwich dial. The dial is also I think cleaner without the 8 day designation. At the end of the day I can live without an 8 day power reserve and the modified ETA movement is a tried and tested work horse of a movement. I'm really pleased with my decision, particularly as I have saved a few thousand pounds. Next step is to get a nice black buffalo strap to go with it.

Here are the dealers shots of my actual watch.

Attachment 882127

Attachment 882128

Attachment 882130Attachment 882131

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great choice and many congrats.

Some of the new Luminor 1950s do have the sandwich dial. My three are on R, S and T serials (2015, 2016 and 2017, respectively) and all three are sandwich dial. You can see them here:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=553555

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 03:54 PM   #33
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
Right now is not a good time to buy anything you would think of as a Luxury Watch like a Panerai. The market is severely depressed. Nothing is selling well except a few Rolex's. The dealers, both AD and resale types are holding their prices. But not much is changing hands except in a few trades. Resellers are finding that they practically have to give watches away in order to sell for cash. Even on the web, it has been noted by persons who blog on the luxury market that the market has crashed. Wait till the prices come down. Also buying a plain jane Panerai base model is not a good idea if you think you might ever want to sell. Stick with models that are more limited that have desirable features.
This is plain wrong. Base models are holding their money pretty well, especially since they've been discontinued.

I have two pretty rare references and whilst I would hope to recover my money if I was forced to sell, the problem with these sort of pieces is that they will only appeal to a certain type of buyer.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 01:30 AM   #34
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Plunge away! As many have said, I think now is a great time to buy, especially if you like pre-owned.
If you are buying for the right reasons (you like the watch), there hasn't been a better time to get into the brand! Good prices and more choices than ever!
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote