The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2016, 07:02 AM   #1
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
People who don't know watches buy a Rolex?!?

I recently read a thread about the Submariner being the go to Rolex for people who don't know watches, however, wouldnt it be more fitting that people who don't know watches get a Rolex?

Over the years I've met several people who want to get a Rolex, but why?
The answer to that can be disputed by many and we all have different opinions.
When I've asked which Rolex do you plan on getting? The answers: don't know, the black one, the white one, the silver one, the one with the longest battery life, I don't know, how many different Rolex are there? Etc,etc.

Some of us love Rolex for the multiple reasons.
Some people just want to wear a Rolex for for the wrong reasons?
Your thoughts?
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
the guy who posted the generalization about people who buy submariners is wrong.

the datejust is the highest selling watch by volume. just goes to show you what the guy who posted knows (hint, "nothing").

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:06 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Here we go again...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:15 AM   #4
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
the guy who posted the generalization about people who buy submariners is wrong.

the datejust is the highest selling watch by volume. just goes to show you what the guy who posted knows (hint, "nothing").
Lol if you had read my posts you would of seen that I said I know fine well the DJ is the biggest seller. I also said the Rolex sub was the go to watch for a lot of people who don't know much about watches and I stand by that comment, as I've personally known quite a few who have bought them.
Now that's not me saying everyone is the same. The majority of sub owners are probably very interested in watches and probably know a lot about watches and the iconic sub.
So what is it that clearly annoys you about my comment ? What would you say is the go to watch for a young successful male who buys an expensive watch ?
Also remember a few others on the post having the same thoughts as me, so I'm obviously not the only one who thinks this.
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGMT View Post
Lol if you had read my posts you would of seen that I said I know fine well the DJ is the biggest seller. I also said the Rolex sub was the go to watch for a lot of people who don't know much about watches and I stand by that comment, as I've personally known quite a few who have bought them.
Now that's not me saying everyone is the same the majority of sub owners are probably very interested in watches and probably know a lot about watches and the iconic sub.
So what is it that clearly annoys you about my comment ? What would you say is the go to watch for a young successful male who buys an expensive watch ?
Also remember a few others on the post having the same thoughts as me, so I'm obviously not the only one who thinks this.
generalization based on a small sample size. thanks for the clarification. you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:26 AM   #6
mattty
"TRF" Member

Rolex have a very good reputation for quality and resale.

I think as an owner it is nice to be linked to this quality and that's why they sell.

That's my thoughts.
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:31 AM   #7
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
generalization based on a small sample size. thanks for the clarification. you are entitled to your opinion as am I.
Ok I can only assume you being a sub owner yourself I've touched a wee nerve. We will leave it there
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:36 AM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok I can only assume you being a sub owner yourself I've touched a wee nerve. We will leave it there
people buy what they like whether they know anything about rolex or not.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:45 AM   #9
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I don't see this stereotype with modern Rolex. Maybe the 16610 20 years ago. The average man on the street has no idea what a SubC is nor would they associate it with 'submariner' or even Rolex further than that it resembles one.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:46 AM   #10
tifosi
"TRF" Member

People who don't know watches by Rolex because people who don't know watches think it is the best brand there is. Plain and simple.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:46 AM   #11
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
Who cares if the person knows anything about watches. What I know is he/she bought a bad ass watch that will last longer than us!
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:54 AM   #12
BristolCavendish
Banned

Here's your answer (offered by an 'evolutionary biologist' no less):

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-anyo...-a-Rolex-watch
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 07:57 AM   #13
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post

Some of us love Rolex for the multiple reasons.
Some people just want to wear a Rolex for for the wrong reasons?
Your thoughts?
There is no one wearing a Rolex for the wrong reason unless they stole it.

Rolex is a fine watch. Most people understand this even if they bought it for status because Rolex earned that status with a great, great watch, which is a great brand, from a great great watch company.

Sure, they may not know or care that there are other higher horological offerings out there but the wrong reasons? No. They paid and bought a watch. They have every bit the reason to wear their watch anytime anyplace.

Like many here I also own Patek, and JLC, Omega (Speedy) etc, but I truly love Rolex too no matter who I see wear them.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:07 AM   #14
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

People who don't know about watches - they buy Rolex.

People who know a lot about watches - they buy Rolex.

Cat lovers buy Rolex. Non-cat lovers also buy Rolex.

Successful people buy Rolex.
Pimps buy Rolex.

Therefore, all kinds of people buy Rolex. No need to generalize.

Here is an interesting read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackfors.../#132fbd91708e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:11 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree that most people who buy a Rolex just for the name do not know of models beforehand. I also think once they step inside an ADs, Subs are probably a first or second choice for most because they look great.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:12 AM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Interesting discussion. Never put much thought into why other people wear a Rolex or what model they choose.

I have been wearing Rolex since the 80's as I was fascinated with the brand at an early age. Saved up my money and bought one because it meant something to me. My first Rolex was a Submariner.

Over the last 30 years, I have tried most Rolex models, watches comes and go, but I cannot recall anytime that a Sub was not part of the "collection". To this day, the Submariner is my favorite reference. I like Subs from every era. The fact they have been producing basically the same watch since the 50's says something strong about the design and function.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:13 AM   #17
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
ROLEX = name/brand recognition = quality. End of story.

Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:52 AM   #18
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
The price of entry is right there on the sticker. No degree in horology necessary. And rolex sells a ton. So yeah most will simply wear it and never set foot in a watch forum.

Remember those standardized tests?
Rolex is to nice watch as BMW is to...nice car. And both probably share similar sufferings.

For every thousand 3 series owners, there's always the one who tracks the car, knows what an e46 is, and genuinely despises Chris Bangle.
hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:00 AM   #19
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk25 View Post
The price of entry is right there on the sticker. No degree in horology necessary. And rolex sells a ton. So yeah most will simply wear it and never set foot in a watch forum.

Remember those standardized tests?
Rolex is to nice watch as BMW is to...nice car. And both probably share similar sufferings.

For every thousand 3 series owners, there's always the one who tracks the car, knows what an e46 is, and genuinely despises Chris Bangle.
Ha ha. Hit the nail on the head!
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:03 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
People who don't know watches by Rolex because people who don't know watches think it is the best brand there is. Plain and simple.
100% agree. Same thing could be said for many people who buy Bose.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:10 AM   #21
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghanvet View Post
ROLEX = name/brand recognition = quality. End of story.

I agree up to a point - those Baby Boomers who don't know high-end watches would know Timex "takes a licking but keeps on ticking" from the advert...

So Rolex's marketing plan is working when one who doesn't know anything about watches buys one.

But some percentage of buyers do know watches and buy Rolex for myriad reasons - and many own other brands like IWC, PP, Omega, etc...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:11 AM   #22
BigCFM
"TRF" Member

Watch: this Space [ ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I agree that most people who buy a Rolex just for the name do not know of models beforehand. I also think once they step inside an ADs, Subs are probably a first or second choice for most because they look great.
I have to agree with you as that is exactly what I did 9 years ago. I was on holiday in Cancun and stopped by an AD because I was interested in a Tag. No particular model, just a Tag because I wanted a bit of a statement watch.

After showing me a few Tag's, the assistant then directed me to the Rolex section. A Rolex wasn't even on my radar beforehand and I knew absolutely nothing about them apart from the fact that they were (in my mind), the ultimate watch brand.

After some number crunching and having considered the future sacrifices I'd have to make (not eating, drinking or having any sort of fun for a while), I walked out of the shop with a brand spanking new TT Sub on my wrist which looked and felt fantastic.

I was over the moon with my purchase and still think it was the best impulse buy I've ever made. I didn't even consider the model, I was only interested in the brand because I was wearing a ROLEX!!!
BigCFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:16 AM   #23
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Who cares, enjoy!
Old 22 December 2016, 09:21 AM   #24
mmutte
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Interesting. Not to hijack the thread, but what is better for home audio than Bose in the same relative price range. Asking bc I'm genuinely interested.
Not sure if I'm good enough to notice a difference in sound quality anyway
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:26 AM   #25
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

While I would tend to agree the biggest selling model is the DJ, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the largest selling singular reference/configuration was the 116610LN.

A lot of people that know nothing about cars buy Mercedes Benz. Similarly, a lot of people that don't know watches do buy Rolex. They are that good - at marketing as well as making watches.
Old 22 December 2016, 09:29 AM   #26
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now that's not me saying everyone is the same. The majority of sub owners are probably very interested in watches and probably know a lot about watches and the iconic sub.

The DJ may be the highest volume seller, but I feel the Sub is a very "safe" choice, I guess we can call it versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:39 AM   #27
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure what the controversy is. Rolex is the biggest Swiss brand, and the Sub is the apparently their biggest selling sport watch (DJ overall.) Whether we're talking about Porsches, Rolex watches, cameras, etc., most people walk in and buy what they hear or read is good.

Forum nerds account for a very small percentage of buyers, so, sure, lots of people buy Rolex (and Subs) who "don't know anything" about watches.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:45 AM   #28
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
I have three Rolexes: a 5513 maxi Mk1 dial from 1978, a 1680 "red" Mk V dial from 1971, and a 16610 from 2001. All steel, all lugholes, all just what I like in a Rolex.

I really like the proportions of the 4 and 5 digit steel subs. I don't especially like the 6-digit subs, and I'm not crazy about GMTs or Daytonas or gold watches, so I branched-off into JLC, PP, FPJ et al. Just because that's what I happen to like.

Buy what you like, fella!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:53 AM   #29
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I don't see this stereotype with modern Rolex. Maybe the 16610 20 years ago. The average man on the street has no idea what a SubC is nor would they associate it with 'submariner' or even Rolex further than that it resembles one.
You couldn't get a 16610 in the UK 20 years ago, it was almost the equivalent of the current Daytona. No ADs had them and there was a waiting list.

I semi-impulse bought mine in the USA in 2001. They had two in the window!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:59 AM   #30
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
The difference is Bose is universally reviled by Audiophiles.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote