The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #61
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Wear it if you like....many of us know the official rules but I have yet to see a formal event in America where even the elite really know or rather follow the rules. All one has to do is look at every U.S. State visit of the Queen of England and compare how the American President looks in white tie vs say HRH Prince Philip since at least 1988.

So in answer to your question...had this forum been around pre-1988 I would say "NO" nowadays wear it if you like it. My go to watch for formal wear was a Sub w/out date until I got my 39mm Explorer now I wear it on a croc strap when in formal kit.

Only my humble opinion!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:35 PM   #62
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

You never ever ever wear a watch with a tuxedo. Ever. I don't care what the fictional character James Bond does.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:37 PM   #63
Coffes4closers
"TRF" Member

Absolutely. I wear my LV with formal wear all the time and it looks fantastic. Adds a bit of edge to an otherwise stuffy and boring outfit. Just my .02 cents
Coffes4closers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:38 PM   #64
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
hahaha jmii....more power 2 ya brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
I don't pretend!!

To know the future is to be trapped by it
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:51 PM   #65
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
hahaha jmii....more power 2 ya brah
Thank you sir.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 10:58 PM   #66
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
The way I see it is if it now seems to be the norm for most people to have their noses buried in the screen of a phone (which I think is bloody rude!), I don't think anyone's gonna bat an eyelid if you wear a Sub with your tux.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate unless the invitation specifically said 'no watches' or 'dress watches only'. I wear what I like but I do not disobey those sort of rules

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 11:28 PM   #67
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I was in a wedding this past weekend. Tuxedos were all around and I went with my DJII over my Sub. I spotted the following: 5 DJII/DJ41, 2 Breitlings, 1 TT Sub (black not blue), 5 Tags, and 100's of Michael Kors. I would say you should wear what you want.
Old 31 March 2017, 11:37 PM   #68
josephvman
Banned

A vintage sub would be far better than a new one, in my opinion. In either case I think there are better choices and I think it gives the impression that you don't have another watch to wear. If you have to dress formally often enough why not just invest in a dress watch? You can get a vintage Calatrava for about what a new sub costs. A DJ or even something from Cartier is cheaper still and you can't go wrong with either.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 12:50 AM   #69
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I do not wear my Sub or any other sports watch with formal wear as I feel that my 2-hand Vacheron Constantin Patrimony on a black leather strap looks much more elegant for a formal occasion.

I generally don't wear my VC with shorts and a Polo shirt either.

That's the beauty of having a collection, you can have the right watch for every occasion.
Old 1 April 2017, 12:58 AM   #70
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I was in a wedding this past weekend. Tuxedos were all around and I went with my DJII over my Sub. I spotted the following: 5 DJII/DJ41, 2 Breitlings, 1 TT Sub (black not blue), 5 Tags, and 100's of Michael Kors. I would say you should wear what you want.
I went to a very nice wedding in Rehoboth Beach Delaware a few years ago. Actually it was a 4 day event. I've known the groom for over 45 years, a very well to do family. The groom's brother was wearing a Panerai on a rubber strap. It looked really goofy and out of place. Did anyone else notice??? I have no idea but at least one person did!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 01:07 AM   #71
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Lots of people are saying the old rules need not be followed, they're antiquated, whatever. But you're wearing a tux, so you have already submitted to conformity to some degree. If it's your only watch, that's understandable but if I had a choice, I would not.
Old 1 April 2017, 01:11 AM   #72
Tonneau1
"TRF" Member

for true black tie events, it would be gauche. For more 'casual' black-tie events, I guess it could work. People wear anything these days, but it doesn't mean they should
Tonneau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 01:37 AM   #73
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I wouldn't. But then again I wear my YG Day Date with shorts and a tshirt so what so I know?
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 02:10 AM   #74
maxutil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I'm voting for no sub with a tux. It looks out of place. I think with a suit it can work, but even that doesn't look better than a nice dress watch. James Bond is a fictional character guys.
maxutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 02:32 AM   #75
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
Well we all know how it goes traditionally. Any watch watch with a metal bracelet is a sports watch and shouldn't be worn to formal events. To be a dress watch it has to be on a leather strap (but obviously almost any watch can be put on leather). As for a tuxedo, no watch at all is the traditionally way to go, as it is considered rude to check the time at such events. So if you're interested in 'playing it safe,' then the answer is no - a sub can't be worn with a tux.

However...

If the sub is your best piece...or maybe even your only piece...or maybe you just want to feel like James Bond, then I would wear it because 90% of the dirty looks you will get will be jealous people who wish they had your watch. The other 10% will be a combination of traditionalist old men not wearing a watch and Calatrava-wearing gents who you can't really knock for their choices.

At the end of the day this is a highly debated topic amongst those who frequent black tie events and my best advice to your friend would be to get a feel for the crowd before the event and if it feels right, go for it. I know there's a tendency to show off, because let's face it if you have a nice sub date and your dress watch is a grand seiko, do you really want everyone thinking your best piece is a grand seiko? Maybe you don't care...again, depends on who you are. Nowadays this a very subjective matter that is really up to the person himself.

This is the perfect answer ^^^^
Old 1 April 2017, 02:35 AM   #76
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I wore my sub date to my brother's wedding in which I wore a tux and was the best man. I would have worn my Aqua Terra, as I normally do for dressier occasions, but it was the middle of a hot summer and a weekend away. I only wanted to bring one watch with me, and the Sub worked out perfectly.

Truth is, no one will notice your watch, weddings are a fun occasion, and people are more concerned with dancing, drinking, and celebrating. Life is short, enjoy and wear what you want.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 04:47 AM   #77
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post
James Bond is a fictional character guys.

Will people stop spreading these lies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 05:29 AM   #78
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Worked for James Bond. Cheers!
Yupper!!! X2
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 05:32 AM   #79
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post
I'm voting for no sub with a tux. It looks out of place. I think with a suit it can work, but even that doesn't look better than a nice dress watch. James Bond is a fictional character guys.
I've seen almost all the Bond movies, and he looks real to me! LOL
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 05:45 AM   #80
run23
"TRF" Member

The answer is (assuming you have some fashion sense): (i) put on your tux (ii) put on your watch (iii) look in the mirror and ask yourself whether it looks good. If yes, wear it, if no, don't.

I'm actually (thankfully) surprised that we haven't had every other response be quoting imaginary rules about which watches can be worn with which clothes.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 05:47 AM   #81
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
If James Bond can do it, i can do it

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 06:25 AM   #82
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HongNinja View Post
Alright, so I had to post this question here to see what you all think, pretty sure I already know your opinions, but have a great friend telling me a Submariner doesn't work with a Tuxedo, which I think is flat out FALSE.

What do you all think? Pictures of Tuxedo and Sub combo? Bring it!
I say flat out True. Although I am betting you'll get some nice photos and - without looking at this thread, several obligatory James Bond pics.

Put it this way... would you wear black leather dress shoes with your Wet Suit?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 07:21 AM   #83
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I wear my 1950's case Panerai Luminor and I think it's too small for formal wear
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 07:35 AM   #84
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Put it this way... would you wear black leather dress shoes with your Wet Suit?

I never understood this argument (not taking it too seriously, I did notice the LoL (-;. -- usually in the form of 'wearing a diver with a suit is like wearing sneakers or fins with a suit'. Lots of people wear non-dress watches with black tie, and even more (I'd go so far as to say 'most') people wear divers etc. with a suit, but I've seen exactly zero people wear sneakers, or fins, with a suit or tux. So, it is perfectly acceptable to wear whatever watch you want in these situations, but not acceptable to wear sneakers with a suit at the office, or black leather shoes with a wet suit (although obviously it's not really for fashion reasons that dress shoes with a wet-suit doesn't work (-;).
Old 1 April 2017, 07:58 AM   #85
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Most people don't even really know what a tuxedo or dinner suit is supposed to look like. I'm a groomsman in a wedding next month, and the "tuxedoes" from the rental place are actually grey suits.

There are lots of rules that are supposed to apply to black tie, and while I'm not sure what it's like in Europe and other places, in the US we toss them out the window.

Wear what you lik and have fun.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 08:45 AM   #86
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
I never understood this argument (not taking it too seriously, I did notice the LoL (-;. -- usually in the form of 'wearing a diver with a suit is like wearing sneakers or fins with a suit'. Lots of people wear non-dress watches with black tie, and even more (I'd go so far as to say 'most') people wear divers etc. with a suit, but I've seen exactly zero people wear sneakers, or fins, with a suit or tux. So, it is perfectly acceptable to wear whatever watch you want in these situations, but not acceptable to wear sneakers with a suit at the office, or black leather shoes with a wet suit (although obviously it's not really for fashion reasons that dress shoes with a wet-suit doesn't work (-;).

I know...etiquette is all about rules / tradition.
Rules get broken all the time.

But truly...wearing a dive watch - apart from when you are diving - would seem to make most sense in casual situations.

A tuxedo-affair is about as formal as you can get, so a dress watch (if you wear a watch at all) feels right. I cited a silly / extreme example...I guess wearing swim trunks to a funeral could have been another example of a mismatch.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 09:25 AM   #87
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

James Bond is a 1950s piece of fiction. His car had machine guns and an ejector seat, I wouldn't take that as an example.

Dress watch would look a lot better, unless you plan a bit of deep sea diving at the honeymoon party. If you must wear a Sub, avoid the bling ceramic one. Vintage would work far better.
Not that anyone cares these days. Last wedding I went to, I wore a 1970s Zenith.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 03:42 PM   #88
run23
"TRF" Member

Submariner and a Tuxedo?

Watch 'rules' are definitely a pet peeve of mine. Personally I go no watch, or a vintage on a black croc/alligator strap when wearing black tie because I think it looks best for me. But the whole made up and often repeated rules aren't actually real rules, but just some internet nonsense with no real connection to what well-dressed men really wear. If you like a diver on a NATO with tux go for it, unless maybe if you are on a diplomatic mission visiting the queen of England or something, in which case follow whatever crazy rules are required for English nobility. Otherwise wear what fits your personal style.
Old 1 April 2017, 04:04 PM   #89
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Sub 'flies' with anything....as is probably the case with just about any of the Rolex sports!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2017, 07:52 PM   #90
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
James Bond is a 1950s piece of fiction. His car had machine guns and an ejector seat, I wouldn't take that as an example.

Dress watch would look a lot better, unless you plan a bit of deep sea diving at the honeymoon party. If you must wear a Sub, avoid the bling ceramic one. Vintage would work far better.
Not that anyone cares these days. Last wedding I went to, I wore a 1970s Zenith.

Not everybody is a dress watch type of person. I could not see me having one at all and that is why I am on a Rolex forum talking about sport watches.

I am not knocking anyone who wears a dress watch but most look boring and the black Sub with a black Tux just looks awesome.

But I am biased.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote