The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 January 2006, 03:14 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
This is driving me NUTS!!

Jesus H.!!!!

All my life I've worn watches with MOVING second hands....so now this Chronograph (my very first one) with the STATIONARY second hand is driving me insane.

I want it to move, I'm dying for it to move, I'm yearning for it to move....but I've been strongly advised by an expert on the subject to leave it turned off, unless required!! Click on link below and you'll know what I'm talking about!!

http://watchtalkforums.proboards26.c...ead=1135940842

The problem is that the stationary second hand is often being confused and misread by me as the minute hand and, therefore, the time gets read all wrong. What the hell should I do? Just leave the damn thing running and not worry about a thing as long as the two year warranty is on?

HELP!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 6 January 2006 at 03:17 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
JJ, I feel for you. I have the solution....
Just put the watch back in the box in came in, and please ship it to me.....

That's part of the reason I did not go for the GMT II. That red hand would have driven me nuts.
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 04:08 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
JJ, I feel for you. I have the solution....
Just put the watch back in the box in came in, and please ship it to me.....

That's part of the reason I did not go for the GMT II. That red hand would have driven me nuts.
No it doesn't. The red hand is sheer contrast to the remaining three hands and can NEVER get confused with the reading of time. Trust me....I've owned all three bezel coloured GMTs as well as both Exp-IIs....white dial and black. NEVER had a problem with reading of time.

This stationary hand on the chonorgraph is driving me insane. I WANT the bloody thing to MOVE, MOVE, MOVE...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 6 January 2006 at 04:09 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

You just talked me into getting another watch.
GMT is now in my sights.
On my Air King, the second hand often confused me for the minute hand. It's movement just catches the light & stands out over the minute hand.
Old 6 January 2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Reminds me of a joke JJ.

A guy walks into the doctors with a steering wheel down his shorts. The doctor asks whats wrong and he replies. "It's driving me nuts."

BTW

Flip it and buy a Daytona.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 08:19 PM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Seriously now JJ. If youwant the second hand to move, then let it go. The watch is under warranty for two years and who knows if you'll have it that long anyway? So let it fly. Just my .02
Old 6 January 2006, 08:20 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Reminds me of a joke JJ.

A guy walks into the doctors with a steering wheel down his shorts. The doctor asks whats wrong and he replies. "It's driving me nuts."

Old 6 January 2006, 08:54 PM   #8
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Is that why it's called a CROSS wind?

Hey JJ

So sorry to hear of your unhappiness with your Cross Wind. I can fully understand why you would be ANGRY

Those who have commented on the GMT II will notice that if they stay awake long enough they will see the red hand does actually move!

If you really like the Brietlings so much go for a Colt.

Really though, once you have Rolex there is no other choice mate.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 10:07 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
JJ whats posted there is that mans opinion and would respect that.But Omega quote to saying no harm or any noticeable wear, or very little loss of power reserve 2% in the auto movements if chrono is running constant. But you have the sub seconds constant moving,with the modern day synthetic oils IMO no harm would come to the movement.But like yours is a new watch that needs running in,but ETA quote that none of there movements require any breaking in period.Your watch is guaranteed for two years so try it,but WTF you want it running for beats me.

The most important thing for any chrono movement,is to stop it,then reset it,never leave it in the stopped position. JJ the second hand is a lot thinner and got a big B on the other end, how anyone could mistake it for the hour or minute hand beats me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 11:23 PM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hmm - would anybody like to revise their vote of 6-12 months?
Old 6 January 2006, 11:28 PM   #11
Southern Jessie

I agree with Padi - I've had two chronos and there's no way I would want the chrono hand to move other than when I wish to time something. You'll get used to it - don't forget this is your first chronograph and the dial is much busier because of the complication.
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jessie
I agree with Padi - I've had two chronos and there's no way I would want the chrono hand to move other than when I wish to time something. You'll get used to it - don't forget this is your first chronograph and the dial is much busier because of the complication.
There's no bigger complication than JJ.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 11:36 PM   #13
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Hmm - would anybody like to revise their vote of 6-12 months?
Remember, I was the first to say JJ will sell the Breitling and the ExpII to acquire the TT Daytona... and I was also first to vote JJ will part with the Crosswind in 1-3 months.

I figured this would drive you nuttier (I would say 'nuts' but you're already there mate) but this has happened faster than even I thought.

I'll go down to the FOR SALE area and reserve a spot for the Breitling.
Old 6 January 2006, 11:47 PM   #14
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
My question is this: why on earth would JJ want a Daytona (chronograph) if he don't like (stationary hand on the chronograph is driving me insane.) how a Chronograph works?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 11:48 PM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
My question is this: why on earth would JJ want a Daytona (chronograph) if he don't like (stationary hand on the chronograph is driving me insane.) how a Chronograph works?
Earl, Earl, Earl... you've known JJ long enough to know conventional logic doesn't apply to his watch acquisitions or flips.
Old 6 January 2006, 11:53 PM   #16
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Remember, I was the first to say JJ will sell the Breitling and the ExpII to acquire the TT Daytona... and I was also first to vote JJ will part with the Crosswind in 1-3 months.

I figured this would drive you nuttier (I would say 'nuts' but you're already there mate) but this has happened faster than even I thought.

I'll go down to the FOR SALE area and reserve a spot for the Breitling.
Johhny, I read your Reserved thread before I got to this one. I didn't notice you had posted it in the For Sale board. Now I understand.

I agree with you. End of January at the latest it will be history, consigned to the faded recollection bins that currently contain several GMTs, a TT Blue Sub, an ugly PO, and a few others that are gone but forgotten.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2006, 11:56 PM   #17
Rockrolex

Quote:
You just talked me into getting another watch.
GMT is now in my sights.
On my Air King, the second hand often confused me for the minute hand. It's movement just catches the light & stands out over the minute hand.
JJ's right, LM. You would never confuse the red 24 hour hand on a GMT with either the minute hand or the second hand. Totally different sizes and designs.

Take a look

Nothing confusing here.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 7 January 2006, 12:04 AM   #18
Atomic

I agree... I have yet to mis-read my fourth hand.

Old 7 January 2006, 01:15 AM   #19
ralphieralph
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
JJ it's kind'a like having a 5spd car for the first time you know you should use the clutch instead of grinding gears,but ur not used to it. So either start using the clutch or trade it in! (guys i shouldve voted 1-3 months instead of 3-6) :
ralphieralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 01:17 AM   #20
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieralph
JJ it's kind'a like having a 5spd car for the first time you know you should use the clutch instead of grinding gears,but ur not used to it. So either start using the clutch or trade it in! (guys i shouldve voted 1-3 months instead of 3-6) :
I know what you mean, Ralph. I think I voted 6-12 months. What a mistake that was!!

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 7 January 2006, 01:33 AM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

How JJ could mistake the chrono second hand,has defeated me its a lot thinner, and got a big B, and a bloody anchor on one end. How anyone could mistake it for the hour or minute hand beats me.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 January 2006, 01:43 AM   #22
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
How JJ could mistake the chrono second hand,has defeated me its a lot thinner, and got a big B, and a bloody anchor on one end. How anyone could mistake it for the hour or minute hand beats me.
It's JJ, Peter!! Only he could be upset that the chrono second hand doesn't move.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 7 January 2006, 01:54 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
It's JJ, Peter!! Only he could be upset that the chrono second hand doesn't move.
Agree Ed but the chrono second hand will move,when you use the Chrono function,thats what all mechanical bloody chronographs are designed to do.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 January 2006, 02:05 AM   #24
Atomic

Quote:
Agree Ed but the chrono second hand will move,when you use the Chrono function,thats what all mechanical bloody chronographs are designed to do.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... conventional logic doesn't apply to bald flightless birds.
Old 7 January 2006, 02:07 AM   #25
Rockrolex

Quote:
You know that and I know that. However, it seems that poor JJ had no concept of how a chrono operates when he made his impulse buy. He's so shell shocked by this that he can't come to grips with it.

That's why it's a good thing John reserved a space on the For Sale board for the Crosswind. Unless he can reconcile himself to having a chrono second hand that rests at 12:00, that baby will be history within a month.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 7 January 2006, 02:20 AM   #26
ralphieralph
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
JJ should release the chrono hand now,and stop it when he sells it!!!! That way within the next week he could get some use out of that thing!! And maybe get it out of his system!
ralphieralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 02:29 AM   #27
Atomic

Well, I know who told JJ it would be bad for the movement, and while I tend to agree with the guy to a degree, I don't think running a chrono all the time is a bad thing. It just creates premature wear.

Since JJ rarely keeps a watch more than a year on average, it wouldn't affect him at all, since once he flips it, it'll be about 4-5 years before the then owner gets stuck with the service bill.

I also fail to understand how this 'problem' wasn't discovered before the plastic was put down.
Old 7 January 2006, 02:42 AM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Well, I know who told JJ it would be bad for the movement, and while I tend to agree with the guy to a degree, I don't think running a chrono all the time is a bad thing. It just creates premature wear.
Well John a direct quote from Omega,there is know evidence of increase
wear, or significant power-loss in all mechanical movements. A small loss of power reserve 2% on auto,but as much as 10% - 15% power-loss reserve on manual,when using the chrono function permanent.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 January 2006, 02:48 AM   #29
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Extra Second Hand??

JJ,
Why don't you just start timing how long you own this watch.
Then, technically, the Chrono is moving for a reason......

Old 7 January 2006, 02:52 AM   #30
Atomic

Quote:
JJ,
Why don't you just start timing how long you own this watch.
Then, technically, the Chrono is moving for a reason......

Best suggestion yet!